PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Stein's Power Rankings

reevanson
09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I am a big fan of Marc Stein and his Power Ranking, and he just put out his first edition for this season. He has the Raps ranked 14th overall and 6th in the East.

It seems pretty fair thats about where I would put them.

Any thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2010&week=-1

khanraymond
09-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Revisions:
1. Celtics - I think there is more certainty in KG's knee over Artests attitude.
2. Lakers - should be the best team if Artest's attitude works.
3. Spurs - best team if Ginobili returns to 100% + Jefferson clicks
4. Magic - they're moving away what made them great - going with a traditional lineup
5. Cavs - Shaq needs shooters. Lebron needs the paint clear and open shooters. see the problem.
6. Nuggets
7. Mavs
8. Blazers
9. Hawks
10. Hornets - Paul/West/Okafor vs Nash/Richardson/Stoudamire vs Williams/Milsap/?
11. Suns - see above
12. Jazz - see above
13. Raptors - Calderon/Hedo/Bosh/Bargnani vs Arenas/Miller/Butler/Jamison
14. Wiz - see above
15. Bulls
16. Heat

West:
1.Lakers
2.Spurs
3.Nuggets
4.Mavs
5.Blazers
6.Hornets
7.Suns
8.Jazz

East:
1.Celtics
2.Magic
3.Cavs
4.Hawks
5.Raptors
6.Wiz
7.Bulls
8.Heat

clutchski
09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Fair placement for us, it's interesting that they rank Chi 5th in the East.

B2B
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
I think Nuggets r a top 5 team

I think Rose will miss, Gordon.

Celtics r still the team to beat

Laker's shouldn't have messed with success

Cavs still have Lebron

Magic still have Dwight

Spurs have Duncan/Popovich can never discount them

Raps/Clippers/Washington my dark horse teams

The rest is up in the air except for the bottom feeders.

Bob_at_york
09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I think the Suns are ranked a little bit high. They have less depth and their starting lineup is old. Should be interesting to see how the Hawks and Bulls do this season.

yungballah15
09-25-2009, 03:55 PM
suns are a lil high, and i think atlanta are a lil high, they should be above, raptors right now, but that much separtion from 9-13

Nexus
09-25-2009, 04:33 PM
I think the Suns are ranked a little bit high. They have less depth and their starting lineup is old. Should be interesting to see how the Hawks and Bulls do this season.

I agree with most that the Hawks are at the top of the second tier in the east.

Chicago I can't peg. Derrick Rose should become a bonafide franchise player. They finished the season strong last year and gave a Garnett-less Boston a great series in the first round. They lost Ben Gordon. However, Salmons is a good SG on both ends of the floor. Hinrich is a great back-up for both positions. Pargo is a decent addition. Deng is solid.. pretty thin behind him though. Their PF is Thomas with James Johnson behind him, and Noah playing spot minutes. Why am I impressed? Potential, sure, but it's not like their C makes up for it. Brad Miller was a good addition, and having Noah and Gray around are nice, but their frontcourt is still missing a near-all star piece. A good portion of Chicago's game is played with one of Noah and Miller on and one off. It would make like a lot easier for Rose and their backcourt for them to have a big option inside that might even command a double team.

MackSnackWrap
09-25-2009, 04:34 PM
raps should be 13th and Atlanta should be 12th you cant say Atlanta are that much better than us if at all

MackSnackWrap
09-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Chicago 5th? Thats really intersestin ahead of us, w.e wait and see i guess

B2B
09-25-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree with most that the Hawks are at the top of the second tier in the east.

Chicago I can't peg. Derrick Rose should become a bonafide franchise player. They finished the season strong last year and gave a Garnett-less Boston a great series in the first round. They lost Ben Gordon. However, Salmons is a good SG on both ends of the floor. Hinrich is a great back-up for both positions. Pargo is a decent addition. Deng is solid.. pretty thin behind him though. Their PF is Thomas with James Johnson behind him, and Noah playing spot minutes. Why am I impressed? Potential, sure, but it's not like their C makes up for it. Brad Miller was a good addition, and having Noah and Gray around are nice, but their frontcourt is still missing a near-all star piece. A good portion of Chicago's game is played with one of Noah and Miller on and one off. It would make like a lot easier for Rose and their backcourt for them to have a big option inside that might even command a double team.

I think Gordon took alot of pressure off of Rose last year & Chicago made a mistake letting him go.

Nexus
09-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I think Gordon took alot of pressure off of Rose last year & Chicago made a mistake letting him go.

Yep. Especially in the playoffs. Rose, Gordon and Noah were their big playoffs preformers. Always hurts to lose a playoff star.

B2B
09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Yep. Especially in the playoffs. Rose, Gordon and Noah were their big playoffs preformers. Always hurts to lose a playoff star.

I'm a fan of Rose & watched alot of Bull games last year. Gordon was instrumantal all season not just the playoffs.

Nexus
09-25-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm a fan of Rose & watched alot of Bull games last year. Gordon was instrumantal all season not just the playoffs.

Never said otherwise.

smith&wesson
09-25-2009, 06:24 PM

i agree that the suns are ranked a bit high, i dont see how they have improved any from last year.

Nexus
09-25-2009, 06:38 PM
i agree that the suns are ranked a bit high, i dont see how they have improved any from last year.

Amar'e missed 25 games. And while Shaq put up nice numbers, they'll go back to running and love every minute of it.

smith&wesson
09-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Amar'e missed 25 games. And while Shaq put up nice numbers, they'll go back to running and love every minute of it.

go back to running with out dantoni ? sure nash can run , but he is getting old and so is hill. j richardson and amare amare still have lots in the tank but i dont know how pheonix will compete with teams like the lakers, spurs, mavs, blazers, nuggets, even teams like the hornets and jazz because d will and paul are just to younge, athletic, fast for nash who is the leader of that suns team. I wonder if they will make the play offs. dont get me wrong im not a hater i like the team, i just think managements done a number on the chemistry of what use to be a great team.

B2B
09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
go back to running with out dantoni ? sure nash can run and gone, but he is getting old and so is hill. j richardson and amare amare still have lots in the tank but i dont know how pheonix will compete with teams like the lakers, spurs, mavs, blazers, nuggets, even teams like the hornets and jazz because d will and paul are just to younge, athletic, fast for nash who is the leader of that suns team. I wonder if they will make the play offs. dont get me wrong im not a hater i like the team, i just think managements done a number on the chemistry of what use to be a great team.

I think alot of people r sleeping on the Nuggets.

smith&wesson
09-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I think alot of people r sleeping on the Nuggets.

you would think that a team that went from the 8th seed to the 2nd and ultimatley to the wcf's would gain more respect. But to me they are a top 4 team in the west.

billups - allstar, vet, proven winner.
jr smith- strong wing, with great range and amazing hops.
mello- proved to me last year that he deserves mention when wade and lebron are disgussed.
- they are all gifted offensively.

nene
kmart
bird man - 6th man.
-are all solid inside pressences defensively.

karl- respectable choach.

they are a very nicely balanced team in imo.

MackSnackWrap
09-25-2009, 07:59 PM
you would think that a team that went from the 8th seed to the 2nd and ultimatley to the wcf's would gain more respect. But to me they are a top 4 team in the west.

billups - allstar, vet, proven winner.
jr smith- strong wing, with great range and amazing hops.
mello- proved to me last year that he deserves mention when wade and lebron are disgussed.
- they are all gifted offensively.

nene
kmart
bird man - 6th man.
-are all solid inside pressences defensively.

karl- respectable choach.

they are a very nicely balanced team in imo.

Although i hate Melo theres no doubt that Denver have a really nice and balanced team top4 team in the west no doubt

Nexus
09-26-2009, 11:35 AM
go back to running with out dantoni ? sure nash can run , but he is getting old and so is hill. j richardson and amare amare still have lots in the tank but i dont know how pheonix will compete with teams like the lakers, spurs, mavs, blazers, nuggets, even teams like the hornets and jazz because d will and paul are just to younge, athletic, fast for nash who is the leader of that suns team. I wonder if they will make the play offs. dont get me wrong im not a hater i like the team, i just think managements done a number on the chemistry of what use to be a great team.

The team can run without D'Antoni. Heck, Nash could end up coaching a running team after he retires. And I don't see how the chemistry loses a step from their 2007 team now that Shaq is gone. All this isn't to say I think they'll make much noise, but they can potentially slide into the playoffs.

B2B
09-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Factor in Amare's eye injury. How is he progressing?. Without Amare the Suns won't be relevent.

Nexus
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Factor in Amare's eye injury. How is he progressing?. Without Amare the Suns won't be relevent.

Every source I hear talks about his eye healing in a very positive light. I was watching an episode of NBATV with Amar'e as a guest. He said his eye is fine and the half-mask he has to wear doesn't bother him at all.