PDA

View Full Version : Yanks and sox ready to outbid Twins

dynasty7961
09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Title says it all

:):rock:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yanks-and-Red-Sox-ready-to-outbid-Twins-for-Maue;_ylt=AqZlge8ji0gPPOPLkEDM.U85nYcB?urn=mlb,192 056

bmurphy28
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
well actually it doesnt say much at all. It doesn't say who they are after at all.

Twins Fan 7
09-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Well good thing he'll never hit the open market.

donnie23
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Yankees will bid him up but let him go to Boston in the end. We have lots of young cheap catching in the system, money better spent on pitching, SS, CF. Whatever Mauer gets he is worth it though.

epgelinas
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
well actually it doesnt say much at all. It doesn't say who they are after at all.

I think it's pretty obvious he's talking about Nick Punto. A versatile utilityman is key to any championship team.
Of it could also be Jason Kubel because both are gonna be looking for a 30 year old slugging outfielder in a couple years.
Although, if he's talking about Joe Mauer I would have been convinced the Yankees couldn't be outbid by Boston except in a short Sporting News spot about his favorites. In it he says Fenway is his favorite park. Could that play into his decision? Who knows? But if it comes down to dollars the F...ing Yankees will get anyone they desire.
Personally I'd like to see him stay in Minnesota with Morneau.

Pinstripe pride
09-25-2009, 11:13 AM
can you bid on a player after he resigns with his current team, because thats the only way this is going to matter.

Sport
09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
He's a Twin..... Sorry. And technically, it's illegal for teams to discuss a player that has yet to hit the open market.

hurleyburley
09-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Doesn't matter who it is, if they are any good, you can bet that the Yankees and Red Sox will outbid anyone. Good thing that 20 teams have turned into feeder teams for these two. Makes baseball so interesting. NOT!!!!!!!!!!

T.O. Fan
09-25-2009, 11:18 AM
^^^What else is new.

CQSox305
09-25-2009, 11:20 AM
If he doesnt resign this winter he is GONE! No way he will take 50M less to stay with the twins.

colinskik
09-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I really, really, really hope, for the sake of baseball and everything that's holy, that Mauer stays in Minny.

BTownTeamsRKing
09-25-2009, 11:24 AM
the twins are cheap and have let every star player leave when it came time to re-up. there is no reason to think they will re-sign Mauer.

look at the players they let go.

Maintain This
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
He's a Twin..... Sorry. And technically, it's illegal for teams to discuss a player that has yet to hit the open market.

No it's not....it's illegal for them to talk to him/ his agent or the twins... Both teams can discuss him internally...how do you think teams decide on who they keep and who they get rid of because they know they have a shot at a player who is eligable for FA in the next few yrs...

MaHaRaJaH
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Well good thing he'll never hit the open market.

You Tell'em! I'll be GOD DAMNED if they rob a team of their star player '--_--.

MaHaRaJaH
09-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I really, really, really hope, for the sake of baseball and everything that's holy, that Mauer stays in Minny.

Praise!

Hyland
09-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm a Yankee fan, but this isn't fair.
I understand Twins are cheap and not as $$$$ as Boston and New York...but Maurer is their franchise. This would take the competition away from the AL Central and totally waterdown the division.

Baseball has to do something to protect franchise players. Maurer belongs in a Twins jersey, just like how Jeter belongs in a Yankees jersey.

Its not good for the league to see franchise faces to change jerseys.

How would the MLB work under an NFL type salary cap?

T.O. Fan
09-25-2009, 11:32 AM
^^^Blasphemous!!!!

You're going to enrage all the cavemen purists of the game with comments like "salary cap".

colinskik
09-25-2009, 11:33 AM
I understand Twins are cheap and not as $$$$ as Boston and New York...but Maurer is their franchise. This would take the competition away from the AL Central and totally waterdown the division.

Baseball has to do something to protect franchise players. Maurer belongs in a Twins jersey, just like how Jeter belongs in a Yankees jersey.

Right on.

Just like Nomar and Manny belong in a Red Sox uni. Oh, wait ...

Nymfan87
09-25-2009, 11:38 AM
It would be bad for baseball imo if Mauer doesn't stay in Minnesota. For all we know though, Mauer will get traded this offseason if they can't sign him to an extension like they did with Johan. Mauer doesn't seem like the type of guy that would want to go to a huge market, just read the article Sports Illustrated wrote on him a few months ago.

cwilson21
09-25-2009, 11:40 AM
the twins are cheap and have let every star player leave when it came time to re-up. there is no reason to think they will re-sign Mauer.

The Twins let Hunter go as he was already into his 30's and wanted a shitload of money.

The Twins traded Santana. They didn't merely let him go.

This is obviously a much different case with Mauer than it is with Hunter and Santana since a) Mauer is better than both of them combined and b) he's from ****ing Minneapolis. This is nothing ****ing close to Hunter, Santana, you name it.

I advise you stick to football.

Fresno
09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Can somebody explain to me why New York would invest $150+ Million in Mauer, when their best prospect in their Farm System is an extremely talented catcher Jesus Montero.

Red Sox makes much more sense and seems more likely.

Fresno
09-25-2009, 11:45 AM
The Twins let Hunter go as he was already into his 30's and wanted a shitload of money.

The Twins traded Santana. They didn't merely let him go.

This is obviously a much different case with Mauer than it is with Hunter and Santana since a) Mauer is better than both of them combined and b) he's from ****ing Minneapolis. This is nothing ****ing close to Hunter, Santana, you name it.

I advise you stick to football.

Yep pretty much.

They knew they were going to let Hunter walk rather than pay him anywhere near the 5/$90 Million, Anaheim spent on him. Hes productive, but that was still way too much money to spend.

Twins lost on the Santana deal, they should've capitalized on his value early on.

donnie23
09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm anti-salary cap, the owners are rich enough. The solution is slotting the draft bonuses so top talent doesn't fall to the Yanks/Sox/etc. The current revenue sharing system and a systematic salary floor based on team revenue (including revenue sharing/luxury tax). If the Yankees weren't allowed to offer a high school kid a million dollars in the 10th round the draft would be more balanced.

Fresno
09-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm anti-salary cap, the owners are rich enough. The solution is slotting the draft bonuses so top talent doesn't fall to the Yanks/Sox/etc. The current revenue sharing system and a systematic salary floor based on team revenue (including revenue sharing/luxury tax). If the Yankees weren't allowed to offer a high school kid a million dollars in the 10th round the draft would be more balanced.

I dont even think its that important considering usually the potential talent is traded years later for proven talent, and not every high priced draft picks turns out to be a contributor in the majors.

MaHaRaJaH
09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
^^^Blasphemous!!!!

You're going to enrage all the cavemen purists of the game with comments like "salary cap".

lol!

Tragedy
09-25-2009, 12:17 PM
:sigh:

He may never even hit FA.

johnnylee722
09-25-2009, 12:18 PM

No its not

Tragedy
09-25-2009, 12:19 PM
As the poster above mentioned, it's not 'illegal' at all. Now, if they start throwing dollars..Yeah, they'd be tampering.

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Yankees will bid him up but let him go to Boston in the end. We have lots of young cheap catching in the system, money better spent on pitching, SS, CF. Whatever Mauer gets he is worth it though.

Except it's Mauer and the Yankees have money to buy him, an SS, and a CF'er. Although Montero is a stud, I don't think that will stop them.

It's Yankees or Twins for Joe. Mostly likely he takes the 120 deal, though.

donnie23
09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Except it's Mauer and the Yankees have money to buy him, an SS, and a CF'er. Although Montero is a stud, I don't think that will stop them.

It's Yankees or Twins for Joe. Mostly likely he takes the 120 deal, though.

I disagree completely, the RedSox will out bid NY on this one if he hits FA. I still think he stays in Minny though.

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I disagree completely, the RedSox will out bid NY on this one if he hits FA. I still think he stays in Minny though.

I hope so.

I'd be ecstatic if he hit free agency, then the Red Sox would have a good chance at it.

The Intimidator
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Baseball needs Mauer to remain in Minnesota, and I think he will. It's not like 120 million is chump change, either.

Pavelb1
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

I think he stays too, but there is no way NY lets him go to Boston. No way. NY is not going to take an unproven prospect, no matter how can't-miss he is over the best catcher in MLB.

t_money25
09-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Wow....alot of guys in here talking like they're Mauer's agent or something.....especially Twins fans. As history has shown us before, players talk about what they're gonna do before they hit the FA market and then when that time comes, they do the exact opposite. None of us really know what he's gonna do. Just last year Sabathia said he wanted to go home to Cali then he chased the money and went to NY. Anything can happen.

Don't worry Twins fans....even if he does leave, you guys have shown that you can lose a star player and just plug some other guy in and still be very competitive. Anyone can be replaced including Mauer.

t_money25
09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
And to the guy that said Mauer is better than Tori Hunter and Santana combined - what the hell are you smoking? Santana has probably been the best pitcher in baseball for the last 5-7 years. Has Mauer been the best Catcher during that time frame?

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Wow....alot of guys in here talking like they're Mauer's agent or something.....especially Twins fans. As history has shown us before, players talk about what they're gonna do before they hit the FA market and then when that time comes, they do the exact opposite. None of us really know what he's gonna do. Just last year Sabathia said he wanted to go home to Cali then he chased the money and went to NY. Anything can happen.

Don't worry Twins fans....even if he does leave, you guys have shown that you can lose a star player and just plug some other guy in and still be very competitive. Anyone can be replaced including Mauer.

Well they find stars, just not in the same place.

They loose Hunter, their outfield sucks (Please don't use Cuddy as an excuse here). They loose Santana their pitching sucks. Nathan is good, but no one on that team has an ERA under 4.40... Blackburn and Liriano were supposed to be stars and they aren't.

They loose Mauer, guess what? Beside Morneau the infield sucks.

Mauer and Morneau are leading that team almost by themselves and Mauer is doing most of the lifting.

yfern328
09-25-2009, 12:47 PM

That gives me every reason to believe that he will stay with the Twins. If they let all these star players go, Santana for example, the reason was so they would have the money to sign their franchise players Mauer and Morneau.

Fred
09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
If he goes to Philly next year, we win our 3rd WS in a row!

Sabres39
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM

And none of them will ever come close to matching Mauer.

I hope the Yankees do sign Mauer, as he might be the best or at least top three hitting catcher of all-time when it is all said and done.

bagwell368
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM

The players and agents wanted FA, if you don't like it blame them.

Minn is a very smart organization. They've been cheap since FA started, but tell me how many teams have more WS titles and playoff appearances/ Not many.

They won't let him walk for 2 picks, they'll trade him to NYY, Boston, or whomever for the largest pile of good kids they can get their hands on - if they can't sign him to an extension by mid December. They could wait a year, but what if he gets hurt? But the cost is so huge to the teams getting him, it will have to have a signed deal to complete.

I believe the Twins could go into the $11M a year area for him, but the BRS and/or Yanks would hit $20M a year. He's a local kid, but you might be talking $60-75M more over the next 7 years. That would be pretty loyal for him stay. I'd be gone for that sort of dough.

Nycguy84
09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I am sick and tired of big market teams like the Yankees stealing away all these great players from smaller market contenders, it's b*ll s**t!!!

LMAO, no it's not. I'm a Yankee fan and I LOVE IT. I can picture in 2011 the lineup: Mauer, Teix, A-Rod. Is there a better 3-4-5?

donnie23
09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I think he stays too, but there is no way NY lets him go to Boston. No way. NY is not going to take an unproven prospect, no matter how can't-miss he is over the best catcher in MLB.

I'm not saying they would prefer a prospect to a stud like Mauer just that I don't see us wanting to spend that kind of money and years on a catcher (even if he is the best catcher ever). We will not be increasing payroll and still have other needs to fill. When you pay A-Rod, CC and Tex what we pay them you have to make some sacrifices.

donnie23
09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
The players and agents wanted FA, if you don't like it blame them.

Minn is a very smart organization. They've been cheap since FA started, but tell me how many teams have more WS titles and playoff appearances/ Not many.

They won't let him walk for 2 picks, they'll trade him to NYY, Boston, or whomever for the largest pile of good kids they can get their hands on - if they can't sign him to an extension by mid December. They could wait a year, but what if he gets hurt? But the cost is so huge to the teams getting him, it will have to have a signed deal to complete.

I believe the Twins could go into the $11M a year area for him, but the BRS and/or Yanks would hit $20M a year. He's a local kid, but you might be talking $60-75M more over the next 7 years. That would be pretty loyal for him stay. I'd be gone for that sort of dough.

Normally I would agree with you except for the abortion that was the Santana trade, they got nothing back for him.

jim51990
09-25-2009, 01:19 PM
like ive said before if he does not resign this off season hes a sox for sure so twins fans better hope your owner stops being cheap

quade36
09-25-2009, 01:19 PM
The title is a little misleading. Maybe change sox to Saux or Red Sox.

That being said, didn't we hear the same thing about Pujols a few years back???

Saint Sandman
09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Is this really newsworthy? I think we all knew that the Yanks and BoSox were going to throw bags of money at him as soon as he hit free agency.

bosox3431
09-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Doesn't matter who it is, if they are any good, you can bet that the Yankees and Red Sox will outbid anyone. Good thing that 20 teams have turned into feeder teams for these two. Makes baseball so interesting. NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Actually you want to know something funny. It was posted in another thread not to long ago, but the Rays, who get so much praise forbeating the mighty wallets of the Yanks and Sox while building from within, actually have more players on their team that were traded for or signed the the Red Sox. And the three most valuble players to the Red Sox, Lester, Pedroia an Youkilis, all happen to be from the farm system.

t327
09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Dodgers will come in with the swoop!!

Adios Russell Martin!

Mauer
Ethier
Kemp

Just gotta chub.

Wisdom Listens
09-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but there's no way the Twins don't resign Mauer this off-season. I'm sure Yankees fans will understand where I'm coming from when they consider the chance the Yankees would've let Jeter go after the 2001 season. Be prepared to see a similar contract for Mauer, maybe a few less years.

7chuck7
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I think it's pretty obvious he's talking about Nick Punto. A versatile utilityman is key to any championship team.
Of it could also be Jason Kubel because both are gonna be looking for a 30 year old slugging outfielder in a couple years.
Although, if he's talking about Joe Mauer I would have been convinced the Yankees couldn't be outbid by Boston except in a short Sporting News spot about his favorites. In it he says Fenway is his favorite park. Could that play into his decision? Who knows? But if it comes down to dollars the F...ing Yankees will get anyone they desire.
Personally I'd like to see him stay in Minnesota with Morneau.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if it comes down to dollars the F...ing Yankees will get anyone they desire.

Repeat after me.....I hate Boston and I wish I were from New York City because they are superior to us in every way.

LOL

uwish1127
09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Yankees have 2 high prospect catchers and possibly a third from the international free agents that they signed over the summer.

Yankees will force Boston to put a higher price, but I can't see the Yanks taking on Mauer, since their need will be the outfield. My gut feeling is Yanks sign a big time outfielder.

I got a question Twin's fans, when does Justin Munreu's contract end? I don't think you guys keep both him and Mauer cause of money/pitching troubles

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Yankees have 2 high prospect catchers and possibly a third from the international free agents that they signed over the summer.

Yankees will force Boston to put a higher price, but I can't see the Yanks taking on Mauer, since their need will be the outfield. My gut feeling is Yanks sign a big time outfielder.

I got a question Twin's fans, when does Justin Munreu's contract end? I don't think you guys keep both him and Mauer cause of money/pitching troubles

Morneau is 6yrs/80M 2008-2013.

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
like ive said before if he does not resign this off season hes a sox for sure so twins fans better hope your owner stops being cheap

The funniest part about the Twins owner is he's the richest man in baseball.

bagwell368
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Normally I would agree with you except for the abortion that was the Santana trade, they got nothing back for him.

I'm pretty sure they knew the BRS and NYY offers were better then the Mets, but they didn't want him in the AL. I think they learned a valuable lesson. Better to deal with a Great White with studs vs. the Charlie the Tuna who only has shiners.

Wisdom Listens
09-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Carl died and his sons took over.

Regardless, they have no obligation to spend their own money to make the team better.

CAIN=FUTURE
09-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I bet he stays in Minesota

donnie23
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM

Regardless, they have no obligation to spend their own money to make the team better.

Ha, spoken like a true small market apologist.

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 02:36 PM

I'm just saying, that's sort of funny... not that they should.

McJoe
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Minny should give him a cheque and tell him to write a number on it for however many years he wants but they cant really so I think they should get creative...

If you were the Twins would you take a chance and give him like 12 years? Maybe 12 years and 200 million? It's very unlikely that Mauer will be sticking at catcher for that entire contract but how likely is it that he gets hurt and misses a lot of time during a contract like that. In the NHL, the Islanders gave Rick DiPietro, their goalie, a 15 year contract and he has played one out of now going on 4 seasons of that deal.

The Red Sox or Yankees can afford for him to be injured during a 12-15 year deal but can the Twins?

Wisdom Listens
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Minny should give him a cheque and tell him to write a number on it for however many years he wants but they cant really so I think they should get creative...

If you were the Twins would you take a chance and give him like 12 years? Maybe 12 years and 200 million? It's very unlikely that Mauer will be sticking at catcher for that entire contract but how likely is it that he gets hurt and misses a lot of time during a contract like that. In the NHL, the Islanders gave Rick DiPietro, their goalie, a 15 year contract and he has played one out of now going on 4 seasons of that deal.

The Red Sox or Yankees can afford for him to be injured during a 12-15 year deal but can the Twins?

I doubt the Twins will sign him for any more than 8 years. There's just too much risk involved otherwise. And to answer your last question, absolutely not, but injuries are a part of the game. So all you can do as a small market club is sign a guy for a manageable contract and hope for the best.

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 02:46 PM

No one is giving him a deal for 12-15 years.

ddudeman0101
09-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I think the one thing that is being forgotten here is that the Red Sox may be signing Victor Martinez long term this off-season which would change the whole situation if that does indeed happen.

dynasty7961
09-25-2009, 02:48 PM
If he does hit FA. i dont see the Bosox not getting him. Esp. after the events that had taken place last off season with Mark Teixeira.

NCBoSoxfan21
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I think the one thing that is being forgotten here is that the Red Sox may be signing Victor Martinez long term this off-season which would change the whole situation if that does indeed happen.

Why he can play 1B and DH and Mike Lowell is a free agent after 2010.

Youk to 3B, Vmart to 1B and Mauer at C.

Dark Donnie
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't see him leaving Minn.

ddudeman0101
09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Why he can play 1B and DH and Mike Lowell is a free agent after 2010.

Youk to 3B, Vmart to 1B and Mauer at C.

Don't get me wrong I would die to have all 3 of those guys. What i meant was the Sox having Vmart as a fall back plan could lead them to not go as high in bidding if they didn't have him.

CELTICSBANNER18
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
But with v martinez i can guarantee you he will not stay at catcher for the red sox maybe play a game here and there if they sign mauer to give him a day off but more than likely martinez would be our 1stbaseman/DH if we do sign mauer.

I see the red sox signing him just because we have no other younger option that would be of any significant importance most of the catchers in our system are defensely minded catchers not really offensively minded catchers.

DieHardColtsfan
09-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Mauer in pinstripes :drool: -- Gives me a rise in my levis!

VRP723
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
If he does hit FA. i dont see the Bosox not getting him. Esp. after the events that had taken place last off season with Mark Teixeira.

What does that even mean?

DieHardColtsfan
09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
What does that even mean?

He was trying to say the Red Sox would go balls out to land Mauer after the Yankees swooped in and landed Mark Teixiera after the world was led to believe he was headed to Boston. The BoSox wouldn't make the same mistake twice?

magichatnumber9
09-25-2009, 04:24 PM
according to Bill Simmons the Dynasty is dead. Luckily you only have 28 posts.

Go Sabres
09-25-2009, 04:44 PM
The only one to blame for Maur not resigning with the Twins would be the twins, if the Yankees or the skank sox bid on him so be it. Every other team has the option to spend money as well. The yankees pay their share of the luxary tax every year its not their fault that the owners who get their checks decide to bank roll that money every yr instead of putting back into their teams. It all comes down to jealousy over the Yankees and the Sox being able to pout a winning team on the field every yr while other owners twiddle their thumbs. So blame it on your owners not the yankees or even the sox. They like to spend to to compete. Why waiste 162 games to just put average players out there. Why play if your not in it to win it. So all you fans of other teams just deal with the fact that some teams like to compete and not loose 100 games a yr,

Nymfan87
09-25-2009, 04:55 PM
So many Yankees and Sox fans drooling in this thread that I'm going to need wading boots soon. Minny will either re-sign him or trade him, but the first is most likely. There's no way the Twins will let him hit free agency and just collect two picks when you could have a team's 4-5 best prospects in a trade. No way.

cwilson21
09-25-2009, 04:57 PM
And to the guy that said Mauer is better than Tori Hunter and Santana combined - what the hell are you smoking? Santana has probably been the best pitcher in baseball for the last 5-7 years. Has Mauer been the best Catcher during that time frame?

Santana was the best pitcher in baseball until 2007 started to come around. Santana has been demonstrably worse since 2007 and is now facing elbow problems. His best years, 2004-2006, he averaged 7.5 WAR a season which was the best for that time. However, his last 3 seasons, he's averaged just 4.1 WAR a season. His K/BB is down, BAA is up, WHIP is up, and FIP is up. He also has that monstrous contract and who knows if he'll ever return to his old self which is doubtful considering his age and arm problems.

Mauer meanwhile has been getting better and better and has posted an AL-best 7.7 WAR. Hunter and Santana combined for this year have posted a 6.5 WAR. This is with Mauer missing an entire month of baseball and WAR has yet to include defense for catchers which would surely add about another win to his WAR. Technically, he's more valuable than both of them together. So yes, I'd rather have Joe Mauer than a 34-year old Torii Hunter and a hurt Johan Santana.

todu82
09-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm A Red Sox fan and would love to se Mauer with the Red Sox. Still for the good of baseball I hope he stays in Minnesota.

Lincecum4CY
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
I will loose all respect for Mauer if he takes more money and goes to NY or Boston.

Hustla23
09-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I will loose all respect for Mauer if he takes more money and goes to NY or Boston.
Like he gives a **** about your respect :rolleyes:

I won't think any differently about a man who takes what's offered to him.

skierdude44
09-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Honestly, the Yankees don't need Mauer as much as Boston does. Jesus Montero is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, though there is a question as to whether or not he stays at catcher. However, they also have Austin Romine another talented young catcher in their minors who obviously isn't the hitter that Montero is, much less Mauer, but is a very good defender. Other than those two they have a couple teenage catchers in A ball with promise. Don't get me wrong, a catcher that can hit .370 with 30 home runs can entice anyone, but the Yankees do not have to throw $200 million at Mauer to fill Posada's spot.

The Sox on the other hand really do need him. Varitek is at 13% caught stealing this year and Martinez is at 14% and plays at first about 50% of the time anyway. They don't have any real young C prospects.

From what I've heard though Mauer really doesn't want to leave Minnesota. He's from there and it doesn't seem like he's a "big market" guy. I think it would be very nice if he stayed in Minnesota and showed some loyalty to his team.

bagwell368
09-25-2009, 09:22 PM

what a worldy attitude. you must not support yourself or a family. If I was making say $117,400 per year with nice stock options, and someone offered me $197,000 with better options, and a 7 year contract, a bit further away from home, I'd might just take it, and nobody aught lose any respect for me for either choice.

Grow up.

bagwell368
09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Honestly, the Yankees don't need Mauer as much as Boston does. Jesus Montero is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball, though there is a question as to whether or not he stays at catcher. However, they also have Austin Romine another talented young catcher in their minors who obviously isn't the hitter that Montero is, much less Mauer, but is a very good defender. Other than those two they have a couple teenage catchers in A ball with promise. Don't get me wrong, a catcher that can hit .370 with 30 home runs can entice anyone, but the Yankees do not have to throw $200 million at Mauer to fill Posada's spot.

The Sox on the other hand really do need him. Varitek is at 13% caught stealing this year and Martinez is at 14% and plays at first about 50% of the time anyway. They don't have any real young C prospects.

From what I've heard though Mauer really doesn't want to leave Minnesota. He's from there and it doesn't seem like he's a "big market" guy. I think it would be very nice if he stayed in Minnesota and showed some loyalty to his team.

Yeah, prospects always pan out.

Boston needs him? Posada's expiration date has come and gone.

Lincecum4CY
09-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Like he gives a **** about your respect :rolleyes:

I won't think any differently about a man who takes what's offered to him.

Thats the difference between a baseball fan and a yankee fan.

Stay loyal to a fan base and the city that brought you in with the fans that supported you throughout your career and still getting that fatty paycheck rather than sell out and go to a place where if you don't produce you get booed the shiet out of because they have the worst fans in all of baseball.

bosox3431
09-25-2009, 09:47 PM

Stay loyal to a fan base and the city that brought you in with the fans that supported you throughout your career and still getting that fatty paycheck rather than sell out and go to a place where if you don't produce you get booed the shiet out of because they have the worst fans in all of baseball.

You mean like how Bonds ended up in a Giants uniform? That was the whole poijnt of free agency. And if the fan base was so worried about him staying, dont you think they would go to the games more to show they support him?

Wiz kids
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Yanks have Jesus Montero don't they? Anyways this is why MLB needs a salary cap.

Nymfan87
09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Baseball doesn't need a salary cap, they just need a luxury tax that starts to scale out of control much quicker when you go over it. A 220 million dollar payroll is silly, so they should pay a silly 40% or higher luxury tax on it.

The Dream
09-25-2009, 10:10 PM

wow. ever thought how players would like to play in ny or boston over MINNESOTA? if he was a yankee do you know how much more fame he'd have right now? plus, they are contenders every single year. great post though dude

Hustla23
09-25-2009, 10:17 PM

Aww did free agency leave a bad taste in your mouth?

I'm sure you're wishing Barry Zito took a hometown discount, aren't you LOL

showtym24
09-25-2009, 10:25 PM
He'll be a twin for life IMO

misterd
09-25-2009, 10:28 PM

Agreed. Hell, I'd be happy to have the Yanks pay part of his salary if it means he stays in Minnesota. Players like that shouldn't change teams when they're happy where they are.

misterd
09-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Yanks have Jesus Montero don't they? Anyways this is why MLB needs a salary cap.

Exactly. No one deserves to test their worth on an open market. Its not like any of us would leave our present job to get a 200% salary increase.

Lincecum4CY
09-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Aww did free agency leave a bad taste in your mouth?

I'm sure you're wishing Barry Zito took a hometown discount, aren't you LOL

Nah not really because i'm a Zito supporter you idiot.

Your such an idiot that i just genuinely have no interest or time to waste talking to you. Its my opinion, and quite frankly, i don't give a **** if you agree with me not.

brandonwarne52
09-26-2009, 12:50 AM

Joe Nathan
Justin Morneau
Brad Radke

And you just selectively forget that Santana and Hunter weren't 6th year free agent guys either.

He hasn't talked about staying or going. He isn't a guy that goes to the press.

Santana has probably been the best pitcher in baseball for the last 5-7 years. Has Mauer been the best Catcher during that time frame?

Yup.

I believe the Twins could go into the $11M a year area for him

Sorry man, I respect the crap out of you....but they'll go way over that. He's already making 10.5 this year and 12.5 next. Morneau's deal will pay him 14 per, and there's no way they'll pay him less. Even Joe Nathan makes more than that.

My guess? 6/120.

brandonwarne52
09-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I am sick and tired of big market teams like the Yankees stealing away all these great players from smaller market contenders, it's b*ll s**t!!!

LMAO, no it's not. I'm a Yankee fan and I LOVE IT. I can picture in 2011 the lineup: Mauer, Teix, A-Rod. Is there a better 3-4-5?

Mauer
Morneau
Kubel

Definitely for the money, and there was a period late this season where those 3 were top 4 in the AL in adjusted OPS....I think it was in August.

I'm just saying, that's sort of funny... not that they should.

Didn't take it to the grave with him, did he? Didn't make that money off the Twins, did he?

No fricking way......6 or maybe 8 years TOPS, and realistically 6.

I don't see him leaving Minn.

:clap:

Mauer in pinstripes :drool: -- Gives me a rise in my levis!

http://www.nleastchatter.com/realdirtymets/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/joe_mauer_auto_photo3_mid.jpg

You're right, he does look pretty handsome.

brandonwarne52
09-26-2009, 12:56 AM

If there was a salary cap, the Twins could keep Joe Mauer because he'd want less money?

brandonwarne52
09-26-2009, 12:58 AM
wow. ever thought how players would like to play in ny or boston over MINNESOTA? if he was a yankee do you know how much more fame he'd have right now? plus, they are contenders every single year. great post though dude

He's got local fame in Minnesota far beyond what you'd understand.

commonsense12
09-26-2009, 01:04 AM
This is why baseball BLOWS. Another poster said it accurately. There are only maybe 10 teams that compete and 20 teams that the rest feed off of.

brandonwarne52
09-26-2009, 01:06 AM
You mean the 8 different teams to win the World Series since 2000 doesn't mean anything?

GoatMilk
09-26-2009, 01:11 AM
i hope he stays in 'Sota, but he's got Red Sox written all over him if he doesnt.
I cant see him in NY, but that might just be me

boeknows
09-26-2009, 01:16 AM
what a worldy attitude. you must not support yourself or a family. If I was making say $117,400 per year with nice stock options, and someone offered me $197,000 with better options, and a 7 year contract, a bit further away from home, I'd might just take it, and nobody aught lose any respect for me for either choice.

Grow up.

Who are u Spreewell? I cant feed my family on $10 million a year so im going to ask for more. When ur going to be making at least $10 mil a year being close to home how much is the extra couple million really worth being farther away from home?

Seal
09-26-2009, 02:50 AM
I'd seriously consider not watching MLB anymore if Joe ends up in Boston or NY, that would be an absolute disgrace and joke for the league.

Hustla23
09-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Nah not really because i'm a Zito supporter you idiot.

Your such an idiot that i just genuinely have no interest or time to waste talking to you. Its my opinion, and quite frankly, i don't give a **** if you agree with me not.
:laugh:

I knew Giants fans were homers but you actually support the contract of the century your genius team handed to Zito?

More power to you.

And I'm so sorry that "your" not interested in talking to me.

:laugh:

bartoron
09-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Grow up.

The extra $80,000 is a big deal in that situation, but for Joe Mauer, an extra few million isn't a huge deal when he's already making over $10 million per year.

x the game x
09-26-2009, 10:06 PM
but dont the yanks have montero whos supposed to be a stud

bahama0811
09-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I wish the Yankees and Red Sox would just go away.

yanksforlife
09-26-2009, 10:37 PM
people need to realize that you're talking about steinbrenner here. do you honestly think steinbrenner would let a guy who's hitting closer to .400 than .300 go? and to boston????

steiny doesnt care about jesus montero. steiny wants instant gratification and so do i.

we know mauer is damn good. what if this jesus montero comes up and disappoints? **** that

steinbrenner whether it's george, hank, or hal will do anything to make this team better

x the game x
09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
people need to realize that you're talking about steinbrenner here. do you honestly think steinbrenner would let a guy who's hitting closer to .400 than .300 go? and to boston????

steiny doesnt care about jesus montero. steiny wants instant gratification and so do i.

we know mauer is damn good. what if this jesus montero comes up and disappoints? **** that

steinbrenner whether it's george, hank, or hal will do anything to make this team better

then move montero for another ace

Pavelb1
09-26-2009, 10:45 PM
I'd seriously consider not watching MLB anymore if Joe ends up in Boston or NY, that would be an absolute disgrace and joke for the league.

Who were the Dodgers bidding against when they gave Manny 45 million? And who is paying Jim Thome to sit on the bench?

2 words: Juan Pierre....Three words:Andruw F%$KING Jones???....we're through here.

x the game x
09-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Who were the Dodgers bidding against when they gave Manny 45 million? And who is paying Jim Thome to sit on the bench?

2 words: Juan Pierre....Three words:Andruw F%$KING Jones???....we're through here.

juan pierre almost single handedly saved my fantasy season

WSU Tony
09-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Some of you fans are so funny. Seriously, you really have no clue what's going on with the Twins. I don't blame you for not following MN sports but at least don't try to act like you do, you just end up looking stupid.

bagwell368
09-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Who are u Spreewell? I cant feed my family on $10 million a year so im going to ask for more. When ur going to be making at least $10 mil a year being close to home how much is the extra couple million really worth being farther away from home?

It won't be a couple of million.

And the poster I was attacking is a child to believe his opinion means anything to anyone but him, and that if Mauer doesn't have "pure" "hometown" "all american" motives Mauer is somehow a degenerate.

bagwell368
09-27-2009, 11:06 PM

Good, one more naif out of the way.

bagwell368
09-27-2009, 11:11 PM
The extra $80,000 is a big deal in that situation, but for Joe Mauer, an extra few million isn't a huge deal when he's already making over $10 million per year.

Says you. Players have big egos driven by years of success and pampering. If he can get $24M x 7 from NYY or BRS and $16M x 6 from Minn that's a mighty difference, the kind of difference in setting up your heirs for 10 generations, and your favorite charity with an endowment of millions.

Money isn't money at this level, it is power and status. And none of us can predict with any certainty what he will do. Or what those around him will want him to do.

Anyone that says for sure what he will do is practicing wishful thinking.

misterd
09-28-2009, 12:23 AM
The Yankees absolutely have their prospects. Most are more than a year away. Cervelli will almost certainly make it next year, but he's a back up. Even in the best case scenario he won't have Mauer's offense (who will). Montero is their best bet to succeed Posada, but we're still unsure if he can hack it behind the plate. Then there's another 3 or 4 guys that could fit the bill come 2011 or 2012.

I think the Yank's primary interest in Montero will be to make sure no team gets him at a bargain price.

Looking around MLB, the Red Sox, Mets, Angels, Phillies, Dodgers, and Cubs can all afford to dump a truckload on Mauer. Three of them are teams the Yankees consider rivals. No way will they let the Sox, Mets and Angels get him without at least a twinge of regret every time they sign the paycheck.

Still, let us not get ahead of ourselves. He is still a catcher, and lord knows how many injuries he'll be open to next season. The Twins will be moving into a new stadium, and with luck it will coincide with an economic recovery that will let the 2010 Twins become powerhouses the way Camden Yards and Jacob's Field helped the Indians and O's back in the 90s.

Ian.
09-28-2009, 12:41 AM
How about we discuss this when the time comes?

This makes the Yankees and Red Sox look bad and feeds all of your egos.

bullocks
09-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Who would want to play in Minnesota when u could be ballin' in New York?

cwilson21
09-28-2009, 01:32 AM

Perhaps Minnesota-born players who aren't driven my money and greed?

brandonwarne52
09-28-2009, 02:57 AM

I would, but then again....I've been to Minnesota. It's pretty fricking nice and the people aren't ****ing insane and also there aren't people ****ing everywhere.

nithanyo
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a feeling he will resign in Minni. With a new ballpark i dont see the twins trading away one of the best catchers EVER. Same goes for morneau. Isnt Mauer from the Minnesota area as well?

Ralf Jones
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Good, one more naif out of the way.
Exactly!!!

Pavelb1
09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Perhaps Minnesota-born players who aren't driven my money and greed?

People who don't want to deal with people, like in his sig.

I mean...what in God's name am I even looking at there?

bagwell368
09-28-2009, 10:53 AM
How about we discuss this when the time comes?

This makes the Yankees and Red Sox look bad and feeds all of your egos.

I agree it silly until the trade period starts up to talk about it.

But how do people here in PSD talking about it make the BRS and NYY look bad? Did you actually mean to say that? If so, in the words of Bugs Bunny's writers "what a maroon".

bagwell368
09-28-2009, 10:54 AM

Lower cost of living.... no need to hire body guards... that's just a few reasons.

infernoscurse
09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
im a yankee fan and i hope they do not get mauer, im tired of all these superstarts and higher prices

skierdude44
09-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, prospects always pan out.

Boston needs him? Posada's expiration date has come and gone.

Obviously propsects don't always pan out. But I was saying the Yankees have options internally to fill that spot (whether or not he pan out is a different story) and the Red Sox don't.

Posada's expiration date has come and gone? I guess a 131 OPS+ and 29% CS rate means we should just stick a fork in him and maybe DFA him right. And yeah, you're right... Boston doesn't need him. Varitek and his 78 OPS+ and 13% CS rate, and Martinez's .772 OPS as a catcher and 14% CS rate are doing just fine back there. So much better than Posada for sure. :rolleyes:

Gunzito22
09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Here is one thing that not alot of people are talking about here... OK Yankees and red Sox have alot of money and arguably likely the biggest need (Sox more so here)... there really are 6 other "big market" teams that could very well likely play into the bidding here:

Mets, Phillies, Cubs, Cards all could upgrade at Catcher and afford him. Yadi Molina is getting up there in age, Soto is good not great...

Soto, among others, "could" be part of a package for Mauer if the Twins decide to look to trade him for a package with a catcher would could start in the the majors today... (I guess you could count Montero from NYY on this list too)...

I am POSITIVE there are a number of other team who can afford to pay him more than Minny is reported to... and I KNOW there are other "Start today" Catching Prospects outside of the couple i mentioned above.

BOTTOM LINE -- NYY and BOS are not the only two teams destined to get Mauer... there are roughly another dozen who "COULD" be in on him...

NYY NYJ NYK
09-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I think the Twins will resign him

Ian.
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree it silly until the trade period starts up to talk about it.

But how do people here in PSD talking about it make the BRS and NYY look bad? Did you actually mean to say that? If so, in the words of Bugs Bunny's writers "what a maroon".

Because Boston and NYY fans automatically assume a player will sign with them when they are a free agent. Not only is it extremely arrogant but it happens in every thread about a star player and it gets ****ing annoying.

Like I said, let's not feed the egos until the time actually comes where the Sox or Yankees can actually acquire Joe Mauer.

Ian.
09-28-2009, 12:25 PM
BOTTOM LINE -- NYY and BOS are not the only two teams destined to get Mauer... there are roughly another dozen who "COULD" be in on him...

What he said.

brandonwarne52
09-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Odds:

Twins - 80%
Yankees/Red Sox - 15%
Anyone else - 5%

My best guess.

Tragedy
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
What he said.
I'll have to disagree with what he said. A dozen teams? Think about the money Mauer would command if he became a FA. Now think about the teams that could actually pay that. Now think about how many teams could get into a bidding war with New York or even Boston.

I know a lot of Boston/NY fans are ignorant and act like they'll sign every big name, but when it comes to Mauer, if he hits the market, the best guess is one of those two teams.

I still think it's very possible he re-signs with the Twins. And if he does, that'll be great, because I'm sick of all the "Mauer to Boston for $654 million?!?"

donnie23
09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Dodgers, Cubs, and Mets could afford it if they clear some of their current garbage. ie Soriano, Manny, and all of the Mets.

yanksforlife
09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
im a yankee fan and i hope they do not get mauer, im tired of all these superstarts and higher prices

it's not like you're losing money. besides, the yanks have taken good care of their fans with all the bull**** at the new stadium. if only the ****head tourists would take their flickr pictures the **** out of our city and leave our stadium alone while they take pictures with mickey mouse in times square, the stadium would be the way i remember it 10 years ago.

MattyG
09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
-

championships
09-28-2009, 11:01 PM
figures. HaHa yank fans expect ticket prices to go even higher.

HOZ THE KNICK
09-28-2009, 11:45 PM
i think the yankees is going to fall back this off season and try to work a deal for roy holliday

Stamina
09-29-2009, 03:47 AM
The Sox cannot outbid the Yanks, but for the sake of this article, I believe Mauer will stay with the twins.

2009mvp
09-29-2009, 04:01 AM
i think the yankees is going to fall back this off season and try to work a deal for roy holliday

Is that some hybrid of Doc and Matt?

bagwell368
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Posada's expiration date has come and gone? I guess a 131 OPS+ and 29% CS rate means we should just stick a fork in him and maybe DFA him right. And yeah, you're right...

Nothing like an aggrieved Yankee Pinyata to hit with a stick.

I have no positive thoughts about Tek as he is now. He won't be back next year - and he is clearly done. Go ahead and pick at him. I'm not even a big fan of VM, very much like Posada is now - good stick, not so hot behind the plate.

Why don't you find out how many catchers have been effective after 1300 career games? Very few is the answer. Posada is now at 1487. He has had one great, and two very good offensive years in the last 5. Tell me how many catchers who have turned 39 mid season (in 2010 for Posada) have ever met or exceeded their career OPS+ playing 110+ games?

Posada has done nicely to have a 29% CS rate in his 97 games this year. But since 2001 his rates are: 28, 29, 28, 27, 30, 37, 24, 17, 29 - sorry but peak is behind him.

I doubt at his age and wear/tear he can duplicate 29% again. Even including that he's clearly slowing down, and he has been below average overall defensively since 2006.

Since the Yanks signed him to that idiot contract, he will be with then in 2010 and 2011 for $13.1M per year. He won't catch over 100 games, maybe not even 75 either year. So, who will be the main catcher? I hope it is Posada, you'll rue the day.

Jamiecballer
09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
You mean the 8 different teams to win the World Series since 2000 doesn't mean anything?

essentially, yes.

a third of the teams in MLB have legitimate hope every season of playoff contention. the rest are just hoping for lightning in a bottle.

skierdude44
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Nothing like an aggrieved Yankee Pinyata to hit with a stick.

I have no positive thoughts about Tek as he is now. He won't be back next year - and he is clearly done. Go ahead and pick at him. I'm not even a big fan of VM, very much like Posada is now - good stick, not so hot behind the plate.

Why don't you find out how many catchers have been effective after 1300 career games? Very few is the answer. Posada is now at 1487. He has had one great, and two very good offensive years in the last 5. Tell me how many catchers who have turned 39 mid season (in 2010 for Posada) have ever met or exceeded their career OPS+ playing 110+ games?

Posada has done nicely to have a 29% CS rate in his 97 games this year. But since 2001 his rates are: 28, 29, 28, 27, 30, 37, 24, 17, 29 - sorry but peak is behind him.

I doubt at his age and wear/tear he can duplicate 29% again. Even including that he's clearly slowing down, and he has been below average overall defensively since 2006.

Since the Yanks signed him to that idiot contract, he will be with then in 2010 and 2011 for $13.1M per year. He won't catch over 100 games, maybe not even 75 either year. So, who will be the main catcher? I hope it is Posada, you'll rue the day.

Varitek has a mutual option for next season, meaning he could exercise it and come back. Unless he decides to retire, he could very well exercise his option, take the $3 million that he would get, and come back because that's probably more than he would make on the open market.

Posada is at 1434 career games at catcher and 1591 total games. 1487 is the number of hits he has in his career. In the last five years Posada's OPS+ is 124.4, which is exactly on par with his 124 career average. Posada didn't begin catching regular games until age 26, so he has a lot less mileage on his legs than his age would suggest, though I won't deny that he is getting up there. I'm not sure what you were trying to prove by quoting his CS rates. They are pretty consistent, with the outliers being 17% and 37% he seems to live in the 27-30% range. That's above average. He's not tremendous at blocking pitches, but he's not attrocious either. Don't tell me about game calling ability because that is a crock. I don't know where you get the idea that he's clearly slowing down. In the past three seasons, he has turned in top five OPS+ numbers twice.

I don't doubt that it's a safe bet that a catcher in his late 30's won't perform as well as he has in the past. That's a given. And I'm sure most catchers suffered drops in performance after 1300 games or after age 37 or whatever arbitrary mark you want to set. I also know that the number of catchers to hit 30 home runs, drive in 100 runs, bat .330+, and OPS .900+ are few and far between and that Posada has all of those marks on his list of career achievements. He's still a top five catcher in the league. Injuries are a concern for him, no doubt. The number of games he catches will be monitored, no doubt about that either. But he has not shown significant signs that he is slowing down. I'm also not arguing that paying him $13 million a year is a good idea. For a team with a tighter budget that would be a bad contract, but for the Yankees they can afford to pay that for a guy that produces, even if he needs to be monitored. Posada will be the regular catcher. As I said before he hasn't shown any signs offensively or defensively that he's any worse now than he was 10 years ago (he's actually significantly better if you compare the numbers from 1999 to 2009). I'll definitely rue the day... :rolleyes:

Finally, my ORIGINAL point was that Mauer is not as big a necessity for the Yankees as he is for the Red Sox. Posada has not showed signs of decline, so unless something changes next season, you have to believe he'll continue to be productive for another year or two. After that they have a stable of promising young catchers led by, but not limited to Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. Sure, there's a possibility that Montero won't stay at catcher and that Romine could be a bust, but that still doesn't mean they will throw money at Mauer. They could look for a stop gap and wait until one of the few teenage catchers they have in the minors is ready. Or they could decide Mauer is too much to pass up. But the point is they don't absolutely NEED him. The Red Sox do. Varitek is done. Martinez is horrible defensively and his career OPS is 50 points lower as a catcher than as a first baseman. And they don't have the talent at catcher in their system that the Yankees have. If either of these teams get Mauer, I'd put the Red Sox as the favorite because they will be more desperate for a quality C than the Yankees.

brandonwarne52
09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
essentially, yes.

a third of the teams in MLB have legitimate hope every season of playoff contention. the rest are just hoping for lightning in a bottle.

Huh? So there are only 2 teams in the MLB that are "close but no cigar" towards the end of the year?

infernoscurse
09-29-2009, 02:33 PM
it's not like you're losing money. besides, the yanks have taken good care of their fans with all the bull**** at the new stadium. if only the ****head tourists would take their flickr pictures the **** out of our city and leave our stadium alone while they take pictures with mickey mouse in times square, the stadium would be the way i remember it 10 years ago.

yes i am because with the more starts the higher prices on seats and i lose money as i enjoy going to multiple games a year and not them cheap bleacher ones that you see them like dots

yanksforlife
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
yes i am because with the more starts the higher prices on seats and i lose money as i enjoy going to multiple games a year and not them cheap bleacher ones that you see them like dots

i sit in the bleachers and i see them fine.