PDA

View Full Version : Shaq on Kobe: "I have never played with anyone who was as fierce as he is"

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 04:15 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-955-Los-Angeles-Lakers-Examiner~y2009m9d24-Kobe-Bryant-named-Sporting-News-NBA-Player-of-the-Decade

Notorious "frenemy" Shaquille O'Neal spoke about this in his comments on Kobe receiving the honor:

I have never played with anyone who was as fierce as he is. By fierce I mean just having that extra killer instinct that you know when the game is on the line he is not going to shy away from the big shot, he is not going to make excuses.

Zefflin
09-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Damn right.

ChiSox219
09-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Well he hasn't played with Lebron yet, so might as well say it while it's still true. ;)

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Well, it really won't count now with lebron since shaq is on the verge of retirement basically. heck, shaq was the "franchise playa" those 8 yrs, and yet, the #1 option had this to say about the #2 option.

Zefflin
09-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Kobe is 1000x more fierce then Lebron.

LakersSaintsLSU
09-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Well, it really won't count now with lebron since shaq is on the verge of retirement basically. heck, shaq was the "franchise playa" those 8 yrs, and yet, the #1 option had this to say about the #2 option.
to hell with lebronze and shaq the clown...ok shaq i still love you man

PBG
09-25-2009, 05:06 AM
point?

JayW_1023
09-25-2009, 05:41 AM
It would be nice if some Laker fans went out of their way to praise other players for once.

Of course Kobe deserves respect, but it draws my ire that he keeps getting singled out.

loveofthegame87
09-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Come guys we all lebron is a great player his style of play is fierce but his mentality is not. You really don't see players in the nba with that ferocity mentality and physically every game anymore except kobe and kg.

jmastert
09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
lebron would kick kobes ***

#1Mavericksfan
09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Shaq must want back on the Lakers bad that's why he keep's talking good about Kobe....I bet Shaq would sell his soul if he could go back to L.A.

knickfan4life
09-25-2009, 09:12 AM
fierce, ok, but clutch and a good player, guys your thinkin of kobe TODAY, do u remember kobe back when he played with shaq, he was not as good as his is now, no WAYYY... Phil Jacksons SECOND time with the lakers made kobe into what he is today... phil changed his mentality and his game... yes kobe is fierce, KG has more fire than him though, but i think the best player shaq played with AT THE TIME SHAQ WAS PLAYING WITH HIM is DWADE... btw dwade also his a lot of fire in him, i love the way the kid plays.. and hes a LOT more clutch than Lebron as well, but i still want Lebron on my knicks i aint gonna front, but Lebron does not have Dwades fire nor is he as clutch... but overall he is a bigger player and more talented

Double_R
09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Shaq is so weird, first he hates Kobe, then he loves him... bottom line is that Shaq is the first person to call someone out then he spends the rest of his time giving that person compliments... When he was on the HEat he was like Dwade is the best player in the league and Pat Riley is the best coach he's ever had, Nash is overrated, etc. Then he goes to the Suns and then he's like Nash is the best PG he's ever seen and Kobe is amazing again... bottom line is he's the frontrunner

Double_R
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
but Lebron does not have Dwades fire nor is he as clutch... but overall he is a bigger player and more talented

tru

Balkwill
09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
why does every post turn into a kobe-lebron arguement

rabueed
09-25-2009, 09:51 AM
It would be nice if some Laker fans went out of their way to praise other players for once.

Of course Kobe deserves respect, but it draws my ire that he keeps getting singled out.

Personally, when I look for articles, I look for Laker-related articles, not NBA-related. This is simply because, although I am a fan of the NBA, my focus is Lakers. So we're not snubbing other players, we're just praising ours.

Also, Kobe has a drive that I have only ever seen in MJ. I'm not talking about a competitive spirit, because all great players have that. I'm talking about an attitude that Kobe will notify his team at any mistake he sees and will make sure they enforce it on the court. Kobe screams at his teammates if he needs to. He nags at them when he has to. He will get his point across no matter what it takes if it is needed for victory. Kobe is as clutch as clutch gets.

MJ's teammates weren't very fond of MJ for that attitude, but they won games because of it. Kobe's teammates aren't thrilled with it either (i'm sure Walton has cried in his sleep from it), but that's the killer instinct everyone refers to....not a competitive spirit, an obsession for perfection. I don't see Dwade or LBJ yelling at their teammates as often (or at all).

Just like MJ, Kobe's friend is winning and nothing else matters on the court. He will do WHATEVER it takes to reach that goal, and that's what separates him.

MackSnackWrap
09-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Well he hasn't played with Lebron yet, so might as well say it while it's still true. ;)

ye i agree with that

Iron24th
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
why does every post turn into a kobe-lebron arguement

Why? Welcome to PSD.

prash
09-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Shaq never played with Jordan either and makies it seem like D Wade plays with less killer instinct.. when infact that probably isn't true.

Anyone with as much talent as Kobe or Wade (or even Pierce or McGrady) loves the game & will relish the situation to have the ball in their hand with the game on the line.

Not to mention D Wade's career FG% is still higher than Kobe's single season career high.

sofargone
09-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Kobe omg lebron omg lol kobe > Lebron omg WHAT DOES LEBRON HAVE TO DO WITH ANY OF THIS?

Chronz
09-25-2009, 12:50 PM
People need to ease up on Shaq, when hes old and retired thats when the truth will come out. He and Kobe will look back on their stay together and realize how good they made eachother. Mutual respect still exist between the 2, and I believe it always did, even when they were feuding. I never bought the whole he doesnt wanna pass to Shaq nonsense and so on. Shaq and Kobe top 2 greatest duos ever

Odominator
09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
It's pretty clear Shaq wants to be a Laker again. His love obsession with Kobe is getting out of control. Kobe doesn't even acknowledge this.

Hawkeye15
09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I love hearing it from Laker fans in the 2 times I started a thread recently, that had LeBron tops. Some of you do the same **** every single day, all day.
That being said, great compliment by Shaq.

Litchris12
09-25-2009, 01:09 PM
kobe is an animal man...killer instinct hands down. nobody is close to him and as or clutch. d wade is right there though but im still waiting for lebron to be more clutch

lakersrnumber1
09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
smart move by shaq. Nice way 2 sofin up kobe for the big game on christmas day. Dont make him fool u kobe its a trick. Even if hes tellin the truth. Why are people talkin about lebron in this convo. You kobe haters need 2 stop didnt u learn something last season. More u hate on Kobe the more he's goin strive to kick the competions ***, so b quiet and stop piss the man off. Do the rest of the league a favour. Actually im a laker fan keep them coming and how bout pissin artest off to while ur at it lol. Only person whose even close to kobe in this argument is Kg as much as i hate the celtics i speak the truth. Lebron fierce lol yea right hes a cry baby who walk off the court when his team loss. My lil daughter is more fierce then lebron when she wants her bottle. Lebron is a good player stop comparing him 2 kobe in every thread hes not on kobe level make him win 1 tittle then we can compare him and wade then, when he wins 2 then we can talk about kobe. From now on jus compare kobe and the greatiest mj

Odominator
09-25-2009, 01:32 PM
smart move by shaq. Nice way 2 sofin up kobe for the big game on christmas day. Dont make him fool u kobe its a trick. Even if hes tellin the truth. Why are people talkin about lebron in this convo. You kobe haters need 2 stop didnt u learn something last season. More u hate on Kobe the more he's goin strive to kick the competions ***, so b quiet and stop piss the man off. Do the rest of the league a favour. Actually im a laker fan keep them coming and how bout pissin artest off to while ur at it lol. Only person whose even close to kobe in this argument is Kg as much as i hate the celtics i speak the truth. Lebron fierce lol yea right hes a cry baby who walk off the court when his team loss. My lil daughter is more fierce then lebron when she wants her bottle. Lebron is a good player stop comparing him 2 kobe in every thread hes not on kobe level make him win 1 tittle then we can compare him and wade then, when he wins 2 then we can talk about kobe. From now on jus compare kobe and the greatiest mj

Come on man, no need to break open the comparisons between Jordan and Kobe.

ny212
09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
it seems like everyone always counts out penny with shaq.....people must forget how good he was before he got injured...

S-Dot
09-25-2009, 03:14 PM
it seems like everyone always counts out penny with shaq.....people must forget how good he was before he got injured...

Penny definitely was good, headed down a HOF career before the injury just like grant hill