PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce declares Celtics as ‘team to beat’ if healthy

JordansBulls
09-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At169kIG5Nrgc.025RPFPo28vLYF?slug=mc-pierceceltics092409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

The Boston Celtics open training camp next week with a new roster and the same confident attitude. Forget that the Los Angeles Lakers are the NBA’s reigning champions. Paul Pierce is already predicting another title for the Celtics – provided, of course, they stay healthy.

“Before the season even started last year, I was asked, ‘What is going to stop ya’ll from winning it all?’ ” Pierce said in a phone interview on Thursday. “The first thing I said was, ‘If we’re healthy, we’re going to win it all.’ And I’m going to say it again: ‘If we are healthy, we are going to win it all.’

“I honestly believe that. I think we’re the best team in the NBA, healthy.”

ZebraCity916
09-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I agree.

heyman321
09-24-2009, 11:51 PM
You really can't argue with that. Anyone who thinks the Magic would've got past the Celtics with a healthy KG needs their head checked.

lakersrock
09-25-2009, 12:03 AM
....coming from the best player in the world, I'll take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I don't see how anyone but the Lakers could be the favorite. On paper, they DRASTICALLY improved at SF on both ends of the floor. Given that will take pressure off Kobe having to lockdown the LeBrons, TMacs, Pierces, etc., they have to be the favorites.

(This is in no way derailing the thread. He said the Celtics were the best and I said why they arn't.)

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 12:06 AM
REVENGE

REDEMPTION

REPEAT!!!!

2009-2010 NBA Champion.....LOS ANGELES LAKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Litchris12
09-25-2009, 12:15 AM
ehh paul pierce needs to learn to shut up and play ball. the celtics are a good team no doubt bout that. he needs to relax and let the game come to him. these couple of years he been crazy with the mouth. him and gilbert arenas.

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Pierce just shut up and get on a wheel chair or something

Pierzynski4Prez
09-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Doesn't he also think he is the best player in the NBA.

I do agree with him, if they are healthy, they are the best team probably, but the only one who should go saying that is LA.

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 12:27 AM
08 celtics FULLY HEALTHY, and won title

08 lakers (no bynum, and ariza not being ariza cuz he just came back from injury), did not win title

09 celtics (no KG, leon powe only 1st rd), did not win title

09 lakers with not everyone healthy (Bynum was not Bynum, but more like a hybrid of kwame brown and mark blount, cuz he just came back from injury), and STILL won title

2009 offseason

Celtics lose Marbury, Powe and Moore. And add Wallace, Williams and Daniels.

Lakers lose Ariza and Sun. And add Artest and probably Gelabale (pending how he does in preseason)

Now, use ur common sense....and figure out who'll win in 2010 :)

GoatMilk
09-25-2009, 12:30 AM
only 1 team to beat
we do this every year

if the defending champs look as strong as they did the previos season, it's them

Lakers are the team to beat

NYtilIdie
09-25-2009, 12:35 AM
He's right their bench has gotten incredibly better since last year which will definitely help them towards the end of the season.

Pierce is the truth and he speaks the truth too.

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 12:41 AM
revenge

redemption

2009-2010 nba champion.....the boston celtics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D yeah

JNA17

08 lakers (no bynum, and ariza not being ariza cuz he just came back from injury), did not win title

09 lakers with not everyone healthy (Bynum was not Bynum, but more like a hybrid of kwame brown and mark blount, cuz he just came back from injury), and STILL won title

2009 offseason

Lakers lose Ariza and Sun. And add Artest and probably Gelabale (pending how he does in preseason)

pretty much :clap:

ZebraCity916

2009 offseason

Celtics. :D

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:42 AM

nice try on editing the quote except you did not edit the "repeat" part since the celtics can't repeat this year

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:44 AM

:facepalm: :pity:

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 12:44 AM

2009 offseason

you are a tool aint ya:rolleyes:

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 12:46 AM

:facepalm::pity::mad:

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 12:48 AM
nice try on editing the quote except you did not edit the "repeat" part since the celtics can't repeat this year

ok i get it boston hater

ZebraCity916
09-25-2009, 12:48 AM

Super.
09-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Good to see Pierce talking up that smack, maybe KG is rubbin' off him a bit, Bring the Heat boys!

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 12:51 AM

:confused: wtf, quit messin with other people's post foo!

and it don't make sense, y would boston want redemption and revenge from LA? r u high or somethin?

Super.
09-25-2009, 12:51 AM
@CraigtheSoxfan

your signature makes me want to kill Babies it is so bad

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:53 AM
ok i get it boston hater

how does that make me a boston hater? All i said was the celtics can't repeat since they did not win last year. It's common knowledge :pity:

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 12:53 AM
actually.....thinkin bout it, celtics will indeed repeat!

hell, they may not even make it back to the finals again (repeat), and may get their arse whooped and eliminated in the freakin 2nd round (repeat)

:nod:

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:54 AM
@CraigtheSoxfan

it's funny how he thinks none of the players on the red sUCKS are using roids, even though they just got caught.

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:55 AM

hell, they may not even make it back to the finals again (repeat), and may get their arse whooped and eliminated in the freakin 2nd round (repeat)

ah never thought of it that way :p

Super.
09-25-2009, 12:56 AM

Going to game 7 to the East Champs, WITHOUT agruably the teams BEST player? is getting their arse whooped?

Bet the Lakers wouldnt make it that far without Kobe for half the season, and no playoffs

Super.
09-25-2009, 12:58 AM
it's funny how he thinks none of the players on the red sUCKS are using roids, even though they just got caught.

Only one got caught, and

A.) it was in '03 when it was LEGAL
B.) it was from supplements
C.) Dont hate on the Red Sox, because they're better than anything in California

JNA17
09-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Going to game 7 to the East Champs, WITHOUT agruably the teams BEST player? is getting their arse whooped?

Bet the Lakers wouldnt make it that far without Kobe for half the season, and no playoffs

wait a min i thought celtics fans say pierce is their best player? :confused: Oh i guess now they changed their minds...again... :pity:

but anyway u also went to game 7 with a team that missed their 2nd best player as well. (Jameer Nelson hello?)

And to answer that question probably not far, but that's because kobe has a much much bigger impact on the lakers then KG does on the celtics.

Toenail Clipper
09-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Kobe should get on a wheelchair :D

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Only one got caught, and

A.) it was in '03 when it was LEGAL
B.) it was from supplements
C.) Dont hate on the Red Sox, because they're better than anything in California

:rolleyes:

and also im a yanks fan. But i also disagree with that statement since dodgers would kick their ***.

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:01 AM
@CraigtheSoxfan

hey i did not make that photo

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:04 AM
Kobe should get on a wheelchair :D

keep telling him that, even if he had to get on a wheelchair, he would rather have his legs get ripped off from his body during a game :laugh2:

Super.
09-25-2009, 01:05 AM
wait a min i thought celtics fans say pierce is their best player? :confused: Oh i guess now they changed their minds...again... :pity:

but anyway u also went to game 7 with a team that missed their 2nd best player as well. (Jameer Nelson hello?)

And to answer that question probably not far, but that's because kobe has a much much bigger impact on the lakers then KG does on the celtics.

Celtics fans never once proclaimed Pierce as the best player on that team. In fact ive never said that. Ive always thought KG was a far better player than him

KG had a MUCH bigger impact on the Celtics than Jameer did on the Magic, Plus the Magic went out and traded for a player to replace him. the Celtics made no such trade. You can't say that the loss of KG =< the loss of Jameer

And you dont think KG's loss had a HUGE impact on the Celtics? Healthy KG = Champs, Hurt? 2nd Round exit

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 01:05 AM

haha, if u were smart and perceptive enuf, i bolded the word "eliminated", not "arse whooped". that arse whoopin gonna happen in 2010 2nd round son!

Super.
09-25-2009, 01:06 AM

and also im a yanks fan. But i also disagree with that statement since dodgers would kick their ***.

HAHAHA the Sox would eat that pitching staff alive! Plus your in the NL! That doesnt help your cause at all.

Super.
09-25-2009, 01:07 AM
haha, if u were smart and perceptive enuf, i bolded the word "eliminated", not "arse whooped". that arse whoopin gonna happen in 2010 2nd round son!

Care to make a wager on that? (ik ik already? :laugh:)

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
KG had a MUCH bigger impact on the Celtics than Jameer did on the Magic, Plus the Magic went out and traded for a player to replace him. the Celtics made no such trade. You can't say that the loss of KG =< the loss of Jameer

And you dont think KG's loss had a HUGE impact on the Celtics? Healthy KG = Champs, Hurt? 2nd Round exit

i did not say KG's loss was bigger then nelson's loss, i was simply mentioning that the celtics did not play a healthy team either.

Once again i did not say the loss is not huge, i said that if kobe ever got injured then his loss would be much more huge then kg's loss.

Super.
09-25-2009, 01:11 AM
hey i did not make that photo

Let me rip apart your Sig.

that Picture looks gay
No one cares about wrestling anymore
That statement makes ZERO sense, "if you dont like boston sports your a hypocrite" i dont get it? what if you live in NY?
that list of guys you think are using roids? you just look like an angry idiot sox fan! Wigginton? Tex? :facepalm: you make Sox fans look bad

AllTheWay
Who cares?

He's wrong anyhow.

JNA17
HAHAHA the Sox would eat that pitching staff alive! Plus your in the NL! That doesnt help your cause at all.

Says who? Kevin useless?

I was not trying to help my cause at all, it's just a fact.

Super.
09-25-2009, 01:12 AM
i did not say KG's loss was bigger then nelson's loss, i was simply mentioning that the celtics did not play a healthy team either.

Once again i did not say the loss is not huge, i said that if kobe ever got injured then his loss would be much more huge then kg's loss.

I didnt know Rafer Alston was hurt during the 09 playoffs

Super.
09-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Says who? Kevin useless?

Nope, says the simple fact that they are in the NL. Padilla? wasnt he released by the RANGERS? who traditionally have a TERRIBLE pitching staff

Everyone knows that the NL has weaker hitters, and weaker pitchers. Examples: Matt Holiday + CC

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Care to make a wager on that? (ik ik already? :laugh:)

im sure they make the ecf the very least, but "if" u make it bak to the big dance, prepare for the lakeshow to open up a can of whoop arse

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:17 AM
I didnt know Rafer Alston was hurt during the 09 playoffs

Oh gee wiz how could i forget the guy who choked hard most of the playoffs beside the series with the celtics? Oh yea that's right, because he does not and never will=JAMEER NELSON.

Ok then i guess i did not know glen davis was hurt during the 09 playoffs?

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Nope, says the simple fact that they are in the NL. Padilla? wasnt he released by the RANGERS? who traditionally have a TERRIBLE pitching staff

Everyone knows that the NL has weaker hitters, and weaker pitchers. Examples: Matt Holiday + CC

NL is weaker in that respect yes, but the red sox have declined a lot this year that it does not even matter.

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:19 AM
:confused: wtf, quit messin with other people's post foo!
and it don't make sense, y would boston want redemption and revenge from LA? r u high or somethin? i have the right and NO i believe your high

how does that make me a boston hater? All i said was the celtics can't repeat since they did not win last year. It's common knowledge :pity:

i think boston is tougher than LA you watch

you wish

it's funny how he thinks none of the players on the red sUCKS are using roids, even though they just got caught. off topic and ortiz did in the begining of the 03 season but arod did it in his HS career

ah never thought of it that way :p :facepalm: for agreeing

:facepalm: and :pity: for tis crap

off topic again:facepalm: and the phillies would dismantle your dodgers sir

i will say this thw boston ce;tics wlill be a force to be recken with and the lakers better hope the spurs falter because i see San An dismalteing the west you watch!

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:23 AM
i think boston is tougher than LA you watch

well of course you think so ur a celtics fan, which is natural to think that way and then proven dead wrong in reality

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Says who? Kevin useless?

Kevin useless:facepalm: if i was a yankee fan thought of something better!

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:28 AM
well of course you think so ur a celtics fan, which is natural to think that way and then proven dead wrong in reality

and your a laker/yankee fan who is classless and disrespectfull

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Kevin useless:facepalm: if i was a yankee fan thought of something better!

oh i could go on all day with better stuff, kevin suckless, kevin faceless, kevin uglyness, etc.

Infact i got some for every player on boston :D

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:29 AM
and your a laker/yankee fan who is classless and disrespectfull

if only that were true ;)

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:30 AM
oh i could go on all day with better stuff, kevin suckless, kevin faceless, kevin uglyness, etc.

Infact i got some for every player on boston :D

dont quit your day job john sterling wannabe

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:31 AM
dont quit your day job john sterling wannabe

oh i would love to have john sterling's job. Getting paid so much while being one of the worst commentators i have ever heard on radio. ;)

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:33 AM
oh i would love to have john sterling's job. Getting paid so much while being one of the worst commentators i have ever heard on radio. ;)
:facepalm:

JNA17
09-25-2009, 01:35 AM

good comeback. :cool:

Shady66
09-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Hes right, If the Celts are healthy in the playoffs, they will win the Championship.

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 01:48 AM
To all "sane" PSD posters:

save ur breath against CraigtheSoxFan, no point in arguing with him. douchery at its finest.

CraigtheSoxFan
09-25-2009, 01:59 AM
To all "sane" PSD posters:

save ur breath against CraigtheSoxFan, no point in arguing with him. douchery at its finest.

is douchery even a real word?

thapharcyd
09-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow this turned in to a homer thread quickly

ko8e24
09-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow this turned in to a homer thread quickly

fo sho yo :D

Lakersfan2483
09-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At169kIG5Nrgc.025RPFPo28vLYF?slug=mc-pierceceltics092409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

LA is the team to beat until proven otherwise.

49ERS LEGACY530
09-25-2009, 03:02 AM
i agree with PP...

But all the teams that were good last year got better not just the celtics, so its going to be tough, but if healthy they can win it all

bigsams50
09-25-2009, 07:28 AM
The defending champs have to be the team to beat, they got better in the offseason.

op12
09-25-2009, 07:31 AM
fo sho yo :D

i think he was including laker homers.

azkarraga
09-25-2009, 07:36 AM
And what's he gonna say? No, the Kings are the team to beat?

ShakeN'Bake
09-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry but the defending champs are ALWAYS the team to beat until proven otherwise.

lexworld2009
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
yeah what pierce forget and everyone else for that matter a healthy boston team would be a favorite in the east , but everyone needs to remember Boston even healthy would have beaten orlando , but honestly the Cavs would have ran thru the Celtics , the Cavs were made to beat them the same way Orlando was made to beat the Cavs the matchup all seem to favor the Cavs, the way it did Orlando.

Ace33Bone
09-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I agree with Pierce if this team stays healthy then they definitely are the front runners in the NBA with the Lakers... I think people are down playing the Wallace signing

rathauneak
09-25-2009, 09:15 AM
The champions are always the team to beat...I agree with that. HOWEVER, I do agree with Pierce that if they stay healthy, they will win.

mfb_lt1birdman
09-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I may be biased but LA has addressed their major shortcomings following their defeat at the hands of the Celtics. What killed the Lakers was a lack of toughness and Paul Pierce. The Lakers toughness and mental edge is definitely better, and Artest will surely slow down Pierce. A healthy Bynum will sure help help too.

I say bring it!

SchyGuy11
09-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Pierce just shut up and get on a wheel chair or something

:laugh:

mikantsass
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Pierce needs to stop talking and play, but if (and that is a BIG IF) KG is fully healthy, the Celtics are the best team in the NBA and that includes the Lakers

Big Ken
09-25-2009, 10:25 AM
^ The lakers are the best until someone takes there title!!!!!

G-Funk
09-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Last summer Celtics were the team to beat according to C's fans and I agreed. Lakers won it this Year and they are the team to beat, Now agree with that and stop being such homers

Double_R
09-25-2009, 10:53 AM
THe Celts window is closed, maybe they can win on the senior tour... Ray is 100 and inconsistent, KG is declining rapidly and so is his health, and Paul is hurt and not hurt in one game, then he's the hero for willing himself play, then he is awful in game 7 against the magic, you never know what Paul is going to do, and rasheed was extremely pedestrian last year and has declined every year that he has not been with the other wallace

Double_R
09-25-2009, 10:56 AM
lakers are team to beat, they just won it all and got better with artest, then the magic are team to beat in east, they got deeper with bass and barnes and replaced Turk with a superstar, and jameer will be back(they made it to the finals without their allstar pg...impressive) and Dwight will be a year better, so I would say Lakers 1, Magic 2, Celts 3

BkOriginalOne
09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
The only team that could beat them when they were healthy were the Wizards and bobcats.
As long as they avoid those teams, I don't see why they can't repeat.
They've had some decent pickups this offseason. Most importantly, they finally got rid of Tony "oops" Allen.

bigsams50
09-25-2009, 11:06 AM
the only team that could beat them when they were healthy were the wizards and bobcats.
As long as they avoid those teams, i don't see why they can't repeat.
They've had some decent pickups this offseason. Most importantly, they finally got rid of tony "oops" allen.

:p

futureman
09-25-2009, 11:08 AM

2009 offseason

I fail to see your point. How in the heck is the aquisition of Artest and a garbage 2nd rounder better than the Celtics aquisition of an All-Star player in Wallace and another Borderline All-Star in Daniels? In case you didn't get the memo, Moore and Marbury are BUMS. Powe was mediocre at best.

CELTICS4LYFE
09-25-2009, 11:22 AM
And what's he gonna say? No, the Kings are the team to beat?

exactly n wit the team he has to u blame him for thinkin he's gunna win it all? like he's gunna say "eh i think ray is gunna have ankle prob n were gunna b out in the 1st round"

timebandit
09-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Sorry Celdicks fans but in 08 The Lakers were not even healthy. So why do people beleave they could beat the Champs of 09? Lakers clearly are better than Celdicks! And sorry Paul you will not even make it to the Finals!!!

ShakeN'Bake
09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Last summer Celtics were the team to beat according to C's fans and I agreed. Lakers won it this Year and they are the team to beat, Now agree with that and stop being such homers

I believe I did. Every fan base has people who are reasonable and people who are unreasonable. The truth is that it's always a small minority on both sides who are reasonable.

Don't let a bunch of people make you a hater of all C's fans. Just as I didn't let those Lakers fans make me close minded towards anyone who happened to be a Laker fan.

sofargone
09-25-2009, 12:36 PM
this is true. alot has to go their way but i think its true.

still1ballin
09-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Lakers are reigning champions and are the team to beat until another team dethrown's us. Plain and simple.

phillychi009
09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I fail to see your point. How in the heck is the aquisition of Artest and a garbage 2nd rounder better than the Celtics aquisition of an All-Star player in Wallace and another Borderline All-Star in Daniels? In case you didn't get the memo, Moore and Marbury are BUMS. Powe was mediocre at best.

Wallace is not an all-star and Daniels is not even close to being an all-star. The Lakers sigened just Ron and he is alone beter then Wallace and Daniels.

kriviant
09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Celtics aren't the team to beat. Their health is a major issue and the big 3 is getting old. Even though it's really more like the big 2 since Allen can easily become 'The Ghost of Ray Allen' and never show up.

And I don't think adding Rasheed Wallace will do much (other than guarantee a few more technical fouls on Boston). It will probably take him too long to get used to the Celtics system. He's been playing in the same system for too long to fit in quickly.

edit: and all this talk by Paul Pierce is meaningless. This is the guy who declared himself the best player ever.

ZebraCity916
09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Wallace is not an all-star and Daniels is not even close to being an all-star. The Lakers sigened just Ron and he is alone beter then Wallace and Daniels.

GspLAL
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Sheed is not an all star caliber player anymore.

iggypop123
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
the lakers won the title without being healthy so according to paul's reasoning if the lakers are healthy damn watch out. seriously its all about health, but it doesnt matter cause KG already beat Pierce to the punch saying they are winning the next 2 titles

d-baller23
09-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Sorry Paul Pierce, it's Dwight Howard's time for the title.
2010 NBA Champions Orlando Magic
We have a better roster, and Celtics are catching up with age.
Magic
Nelson/Williams/Johnson
Carter/Redick/Almond
Pietrus/Barnes/Johnson III
Lewis/Bass/Anderson
Howard/Gortat/Foyle

Ray_R
09-25-2009, 03:16 PM
“I honestly believe that. I think we’re the best team in the NBA, healthy
LOL Key word