PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats Sign Flip Murray

DerekRE_3
09-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Free-agent guard Flip Murray has reached an agreement in principle to join the Charlotte Bobcats, according to NBA front-office sources.

Murray and the Bobcats have a one-year deal at the NBA's bi-annual exception of $1.99 million, with a formal signing forthcoming as early as Friday, sources said.

Murray's agent, Mark Termini, confirmed the deal when reached Thursday night by ESPN.com.

After averaging 12.2 PPG last season as an off-the-bench spark for the Atlanta Hawks, Murray also received interest earlier this month from the Denver Nuggets. But luxury-tax concerns prompted the Nuggets, who on Wednesday traded for Houston's James White, to limit their offer to the $1.1 million veteran minimum.

Murray has been regarded as one of the NBA's better sixth men after breaking out in the 2003-04 season as a fill-in for the injured Ray Allen in Seattle, averaging 23.9 points over an 11-game stretch.

The signing of Murray further cements Charlotte's backcourt after Wednesday's signing of restricted free agent Raymond Felton to a one-year, $5.5 million qualifying offer and potentially gives the Bobcats' second unit some needed punch after they finished last in the league in scoring last season.

Felton will become an unrestricted free agent in July after he and the Bobcats could not strike a long-term deal. He averaged 14.2 points and 6.7 assists last season, retaining his spot in the starting lineup even after Charlotte drafted D.J. Augustin.

Source: ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4501615)

I like this move. 2 mil for a guy that scored 12 PPG on a playoff team last year is not bad at all. He could provide some offense off the bench for the Bobcats.

JNA17
09-24-2009, 11:04 PM
decent pickup

Catfish1314
09-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Two million for Murray is a steal. He can play both guard spots and create for himself. Bobcats have a really nice backcourt rotation now with Felton, Augustin, Bell, Murray, and Henderson.

DerekRE_3
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Two million for Murray is a steal. He can play both guard spots and create for himself. Bobcats have a really nice backcourt rotation now with Felton, Augustin, Bell, Murray, and Henderson.

It might be a bit crowded, maybe Brown will make a move to get some better frontcourt depth. We need a backup PF very very bad and haven't addressed it at all this offseason.

29$JerZ
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Sweet

29$JerZ
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Double Post

homestarunner93
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice move for the Bobs, Flip was very solid for the Hawks this year. 1 year/1.99 million is a great deal on him.

AllTheWay
09-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Great signing for the price IMO. Their bench couldn't produce anything last year so this will definitely help.

bigsams50
09-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Awesome signing, and i agree we do need some frontcourt depth. I have a feeling felton isnt gonna finish the season with us. I hope he does though

Ace33Bone
09-25-2009, 08:37 AM
This is a great pickup for the Bobcats... He has always been an underrated player in my book and I feel as though he can add some much needed scoring to this team

op12
09-25-2009, 10:32 AM
decent pickup but i thought the felton, bell, dj and henderson rotation was fine. i hope this doesnt keep henderson from getting enough pt to develop.

BkOriginalOne
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
They did need some points off the pine. Nice pickup for only 2 mil.

MackSnackWrap
09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
thats a nice pick up

Chronz
09-25-2009, 01:36 PM
This will help mitigate the scoring void left by Emeka's departure but a few red flags. Aside from last year, his offensive rating is in the double digits, he had a career year last year in pretty much every important category. While it could be a sign that hes finally entered his prime, at 29 does seem reasonable but I saw alot of Murray's earlier days and he doesnt seem to play much differently than he does now, so the possibility of a fallback isnt out of the question. Im not sure of the #'s but if his assisted%, and midrange shooting marks were really out of his norm then Id just about bank on him reverting to form. In which case hes not going to help the Cats much, if hes as good as he was last year, he can be a valuable asset to a team in need of scoring. The fact that he completely stopped looking to pass and that it helped his game probably means hes found his niche and if utilized in that role he probably will duplicate last seasons performance. The Bobcats have a surplus of playmakers, now they need the finishers, Im starting to see direction the team is taking.

lakersrnumber1
09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
great pick up i think they have a good shot at makin the playoffs this year

Litchris12
09-25-2009, 02:45 PM
good pick up in my eyes.

ManRam
09-25-2009, 02:48 PM
One of the most consistently underrated players in the league. He shot 45% last year which is a plus for him too.Nice signing.

NiTEFuRY
09-25-2009, 03:02 PM
this is no championship move - but i do like Flip Murray. I liked him here in Detroit, he is a hustle energy guy who can score.

iggypop123
09-25-2009, 03:05 PM
damn if the hawks could have kept him they would have been a 5th seed in the east

IversonIsKrazy
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
great pick-up, i mean i dont think Henderson is ready to contribute yet. He gave less than 9ppg in SL. Felton/DJ BEll/Murray will be a very good rotation, he can get them around 13ppg off the bench. Great pickup, especially for $2M, jus dont understand y they nvr signed AI for $2M.

DerekRE_3
09-25-2009, 04:41 PM
great pick-up, i mean i dont think Henderson is ready to contribute yet. He gave less than 9ppg in SL. Felton/DJ BEll/Murray will be a very good rotation, he can get them around 13ppg off the bench. Great pickup, especially for $2M, jus dont understand y they nvr signed AI for $2M.

Because he got $3.5 mil from the Grizzlies and would have wanted to start. Flip Murray on the other hand, can accept his role of coming off the bench and excelled at it last year.

Litchris12
09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Because he got $3.5 mil from the Grizzlies and would have wanted to start. Flip Murray on the other hand, can accept his role of coming off the bench and excelled at it last year.

very much true though. you dont want to many ego's floating around the bobcats camp and stuff

S-Dot
09-25-2009, 04:54 PM
damn if the hawks could have kept him they would have been a 5th seed in the east

with jeff teague and jamal crawford soming off the bench, it would have been hard to satisfy all of their minutes

DerekRE_3
09-25-2009, 05:11 PM
very much true though. you dont want to many ego's floating around the bobcats camp and stuff

One of the things the Bobcats have going for them is a very strong locker room. All the guys get along and they have two good leaders in Gerald Wallace and Raymond Felton, who have been with the team for awhile. They don't want to add a guy like Allen Iverson to that.