PDA

View Full Version : Team comparisons

pebloemer
09-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Sacramento Kings

"They made it to the brink of the NBA Finals with Mike Bibby replacing Williams at the point, Peja Stojakovic rising to All-Star status, Hedo Turkoglu adding to their worldwide appeal and Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson and Pollard supplying the role-player grit.

Yet the overwhelming consensus in the capital of California is that the Kings' rise from laughingstock status to the NBA elite -- "We were an international team, not just Sacramento," Divac likes to say -- was triggered most by Vlade's arrival as a free agent before the lockout-shortened 1999 season.

The view of then-Kings coach Rick Adelman: "I've always said Vlade was the key to everything."

The view of venerable Kings assistant coach Pete Carril: "He was like the glue that kept this team together."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Divac-090924

Reading this reminded me of the effect of losing Garbo... He may not have been as good as Vlade, but the way he played had a similar effect on our team IMO.

I posted this, because as I read this, I couldn't help but think of "Phoenix north" comparisons that have been running for a couple years now, and how I never quite thought those comparisons fit as well as others did.

Remembering the old entertaining Kings squad reminded me of the Toronto Raptor's 47 win success a couple season ago. I wonder why comparisons never get made to a team that was so international with its roster. To me, the biggest difference is the passing ability of our big men.

Calderon and Bibby have similar games.
Turkoglu wason both teams (but has a much bigger impact now than he did back then).
Bosh is a skilled all star PF with a mid range game (although Bosh is inferior passer and defender at this point).
Bargnani is multi skilled 7 footer much like Divac (although Bargnani also needs to work on defense and making his teammates better).
Bobby Jackson is a gritty scoring guard off the bench, much like I envision Jack will be with us.
Evans is similar to Pollard's "off the bench big man grit"

Sacramento were successful when ball movement, hustle, and unselfish basketball were norms among the team (which are the same keys for recent Raptor's teams prior to JO trade that kinda of stopped ball movement).

Please post other reasonable team comparisons if you can think of any in this thread and let me know what you think of this comparison.

MaHaRaJaH
09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Yea but they also had C-Webb lol

td0tsfinest
09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
the kings were fundamentally sound on the defensive end. They were a tough team and a very hard working team. I really don't see the comparison other than having a black centre piece surronded by some light skin guys.
Our team is very different to teams that were built before, maybe thats why a lot of sources outside of Toronto don't consider this team to be as strong. We have alot to prove this year especially on the defensive end.

clutchski
09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
phew I thought they meant the today's Sacramento Kings.

And 'losing Garbo' is the best way to put it, really too bad he was a great player.

mjt20mik
09-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Anyone know how Garbo played during the Euro Championship? I'm curious to see if his performance has dipped or remained the same.

michigan2489
09-24-2009, 10:34 PM
People need to remember that Webber was a great team player, his passing was a great asset to the kings, I can only hope that Bosh can model his game to his (Webber) when it comes to passing. If he does improved that part of his game then we get a better chance to make it further in the playoff.