PDA

View Full Version : The NJ NETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT!!

jmastert
09-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Bruce Ratner and Mikhail Prokhorov have announced a wide ranging deal that will result in the Russian billionaire controlling 80% of the Nets and 45% of Barclays Center. In a press release issued Wednesday, Ratner and Prokhorov announced: “Entities to be formed by Onexim Group will invest $200 million and make certain contingent funding commitments to acquire 45% of the arena project and 80% of the NBA team, and the right to purchase up to 20% of the Atlantic Yards.”

Good news Ratner sucked. The nets r taking one giant leap at a time.

JNA17
09-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Good news Ratner sucked. The nets r taking one giant leap at a time.

Wait a min i thought Jay Z owned the Nets?

bryan71023
09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Wait a min i thought Jay Z owned the Nets?

He's a minority owner this Russian guy is the real owner now he's the number one guy of the Nets? But still I don't want the Nets to move to Brooklyn :( no matter what happens they will always be known as the New Jersey Nets!

PBG
09-23-2009, 07:57 PM
i wish i was a billionaire :(

asandhu23
09-23-2009, 08:18 PM
HEY Warriors fans, lets take the Sixers example and boycott W's games so the moron who owns our team finally sells.

FlakeyFool
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
screw new jersey, move em to brooklyn

SaimoNETS
09-23-2009, 08:31 PM
this is the best news all off-season. :)

BkOriginalOne
09-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Jay-Z is an old mobster himslef, he should work well with the new ownership.
Nets in Brooklyn is going to happen. WHy does NJ need a basketball team anyways?
LOL.

MackSnackWrap
09-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Please move New Jersey to Brooklyn

yungballah15
09-23-2009, 08:54 PM
get them in brooklyn, thats a good look, when i go up there, im probaly gon be at couple games.

BkNets13088
09-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I am very excited about this move. This should be good for the organization for sure.

Robbw241
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
NOOOO Dont move to Brooklyn!!!! :hide:

clutchski
09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Move to Brooklyn please Mr. Russian billionaire and Jay-Z

homestarunner93
09-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Why are we letting commies buy our teams?

Robbw241
09-23-2009, 09:55 PM

1: Id rather a communist then Bruce Ratner any day.
2: MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG SO MUCH CASH HE HAS. IDC if there is a salary cap, just pay off Stern, and Lebron, and every free agent in 2010.

asandhu23
09-23-2009, 10:06 PM

hey come on now. you should know that communists are not supposed to have individual wealth... this man is a capitalist

smith&wesson
09-23-2009, 10:20 PM
so what does this mean ??? new stadium in brooklyn or not.

King Henrik
09-23-2009, 11:10 PM
so what does this mean ??? new stadium in brooklyn or not.

Yes yes Yes. the deal is contingent on the Brooklyn project going through. If the Brooklyn project somehow falls apart, then the Russian is out. Not only that, but the Russian is putting in 100s of millions into the project.

King Henrik
09-23-2009, 11:13 PM
One thing I LOVE about this deal besides all the basketball and brooklyn aspects to the NETs is that in this ****** economy, one of the richest men in the world is gonna be taking foreign money and throwing into the US economy through the purchase of the team, involvment in the project, and im sure keeping the facilities and everything state of the art. this is something that all americans should be happy about.

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2009, 12:28 AM
New Billionare Owner from Russia = LBJ 2010

Ace33Bone
09-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Now I definitely see AK-47 signing with the Nets some time soon

loki34
09-24-2009, 10:07 AM
New Billionare Owner from Russia = LBJ 2010
....And Bosh and what ever high priced free agents out there

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
it makes getting lebron a much bigger possibility. if nets dont move to brooklyn, nets have 0 chance at landing lebron.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 11:15 AM
i agree with you that they'll be known as the nj nets. never gonna stop calling them that. but if we want a better chance of landing lebron, brooklyn must happen.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
better be for the mle cuz we dont have a place for him on the team. he can backup yi and lebron if he comes. i <3 ak47.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
lol they'd still get paid the same regardless of what team they're on.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
and he's providing us jobs. yay. it says that he was forced to sell his nickel mining company but lucked out because the other companies tanked. most of his value is from selling that one company. he still runs onexim.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
the biggest obstacle for ratner was funding it. dddb was arguing that it was financially not viable. on top of that they were arguing it would cost the city money, not contribute to it over the lifetime of the construction project (atlantic yards). something like 40 mil over the span. on top of it the city would have to issue bonds to help fund it using tax payer money. this effectively addresses so many of their arguments (not like many were too serious to begin with). russian money pumped into the city and into the pockets of americans and whoever is involved in this building process. if the city clamps down on the amount that they're gonna contribute in terms of funding, our new boss can fork over the money to get it done and force ratner to pay him back later on.

i really like that prokhorov is in charge of nets basketball and ratner is still in charge of the construction of atlantic yards. this allows the guys who are good at what they do to specialize only in their markets.

i really hope he keeps thorn and kiki on. we lost one bright talent in stefanski to the 6ers.

this deal is HUGE. we had 0 chance of getting lebron if we couldn't get funding for the brooklyn move. we have a slightly better chance to lure him away but the chances are still slim. in the long run it will really help the nets in terms of marketability, increasing a fan base and overall media exposure, regardless of whether we get lebron or not.

mjt20mik
09-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Thank god. Finally the Nets can get into Brooklyn.

colinskik
09-24-2009, 12:18 PM
the biggest obstacle for ratner was funding it. dddb was arguing that it was financially not viable. on top of that they were arguing it would cost the city money, not contribute to it over the lifetime of the construction project (atlantic yards). something like 40 mil over the span. on top of it the city would have to issue bonds to help fund it using tax payer money. this effectively addresses so many of their arguments (not like many were too serious to begin with). russian money pumped into the city and into the pockets of americans and whoever is involved in this building process. if the city clamps down on the amount that they're gonna contribute in terms of funding, our new boss can fork over the money to get it done and force ratner to pay him back later on.

i really like that prokhorov is in charge of nets basketball and ratner is still in charge of the construction of atlantic yards. this allows the guys who are good at what they do to specialize only in their markets.

i really hope he keeps thorn and kiki on. we lost one bright talent in stefanski to the 6ers.

this deal is HUGE. we had 0 chance of getting lebron if we couldn't get funding for the brooklyn move. we have a slightly better chance to lure him away but the chances are still slim. in the long run it will really help the nets in terms of marketability, increasing a fan base and overall media exposure, regardless of whether we get lebron or not.
I think you're a little too optimistic about this ... Prokhorov has an investment in the Atlantic Yards project as well, Ratner is just in control of it. Similarly, Prokhorov is now the majority owner of the Nets but Ratner is still a minority owner (along with Jay-Z).

Point being, millions in U.S. taxpayers dollars are being forked over to this Atlantic Yards project all for the potential financial success of a foreigner!?! I'm not cool with that ... especially because this project in the first place is kicking people out of their homes. Not cool. I hope this tanks!!

This just all goes to show that Ratner has no idea what he's doing and is bleeding money. Thus the reason why he's sacrificed aesthetic quality of this project (once the main focus) in order to just get any arena built before December when his tax exemptions are void.

LetsGetItNY
09-24-2009, 12:25 PM
i love it...build that arena in brooklyn...i am one train stop away from a state of the art arena

RaiderDawg
09-24-2009, 12:35 PM
For mother Russia!!

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 01:21 PM
i never said prokhorov wasnt involved in the real estate aspect. minority ownership barely means anything.

the tax payer money will get paid back just like it would've before. prokhorov will benefit from selling the nets brand. it's much harder for him to earn a lot from the nets since yes owns the broadcasting rights to the nets. if he can take control of the nets media rights then he would really benefit. what does it matter if he's a foreigner? he clearly cares about winning and building a winning brand. look at cska moskow. it's one of the most envied european clubs out there.

they're also building affordable housing around the stadium. far more than the number of people they're kicking out.

ratner knows exactly what he's doing. he bought the nets specifically to move it to brooklyn and get a profit for his investment. he put up 300 mil to get the team and if it moves to a much larger market it could be worth close to half a billion. that's a good return especially when the nets were a perennial playoff team. the thing is that no one saw this recession coming and it really hurt the real estate market. that's where ratner gets all of his money from. the plan is actually amazing. if not for the economic downturn, this project would've broken ground already. dddb knows well that they cant fight ratner on eminent domain so they're grasping at straws saying that he should resubmit his plans since the design is different, provide more details etc.

lol ive read the stuff on dddb. there is no solid legal ground that they can fight this project on. theyre desperately grasping at straws. they try to make this as much of a political battle ground as possible pulling in NJ politicians because they don't have much left. they know that if the nets move they're losing rents, business and taxes.

dddb is garbage.

Thatruth32
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
it hasnt been approved by the other owners yet.. some might not want a non born US owner...

colinskik
09-24-2009, 02:01 PM
^^ Affordable housing that won't be built for a decade ... meanwhile people who have lived there for generations are being forced out and compensated with a house in the projects. Not fair, especially since the sale of that land could have (and should have) been sold to a higher bidder who wasn't requesting eminent domain rights.

Plus, in the recent elections, politicians with an anti-Atlantic yards stance were all elected, and they're certainly not backing down before December. Once Ratner misses his deadline then he's in real ****.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
umm whatever's good for business yeah? doesnt matter where they're from.

arkanian215
09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
lol of course. apartment complexes dont grow on trees. people complain about the time it'll take but how fast do you expect them to build them? where does it say former residents are forced to move into the projects?

how many politicians actually keep their promises or stance after they are elected? lol they'll say anything to get elected.

jmastert
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Please move New Jersey to Brooklyn

please move rapotrs out of toronto. canada sucks

JayW_1023
09-27-2009, 05:24 AM
I wonder how long it'll take before Mark Cuban will spit his first venom at the new Nets owner.

JayW_1023
09-27-2009, 05:26 AM

Why are we letting prejudice buy our common sense?

Storch
09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
good news for the nets.