PDA

View Full Version : Bogans Signs One-Year Deal With Spurs...

SouljahPhil...
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

When the Spurs included Bruce Bowen in the June trade that pried scoring star Richard Jefferson from Milwaukee, they were well aware that doing so would create quite a void on the other end of the floor.

Bowen, after all, was an eight-time member of the NBA’s All-Defensive team and widely regarded as one of the most suffocating perimeter defenders in league history. Those kinds of players don’t necessarily grow on trees.

“Bruce has been a great defender at the wing,” general manager R.C. Buford said at the time. “We’re not going to be negligent in that pursuit. That’s a piece of our plan going forward.”

With a week to go before the start of training camp, the Spurs appear poised to add the perimeter defender they’ve been chasing all summer.

Keith Bogans, the 29-year-old journeyman guard who spent the final 29 games of last season playing with Jefferson in Milwaukee, has agreed to a one-year deal worth the veteran’s minimum of $1.03 million to join the Spurs.

Bogans, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, has averaged 7.5 points over a five-year career that includes stints with seven teams. He averaged 5.6 points in 65 games last season, split between the Magic and the Bucks.

Like Bowen before him, however, Bogans has built his professional reputation on the defensive end.

As news of Bogans’ impending arrival to San Antonio circulated Monday night, at least one of Bogans’ soon-to-be Spurs teammates rolled out the figurative welcome wagon. On his Facebook page, Manu Ginobili posted this message to Bogans: “Welcome to the family, man!”

It is not immediately clear whether Bogans’ contract is fully guaranteed or if it is a make-good deal for camp. Bogans is expected to formally sign the contract later this week.

op12
09-22-2009, 11:51 AM
actually a fairly solid pickup that will not generate much interest, but will be a decent help for them.

Hellcrooner
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
decent under tha radar move for them as usual sometimes i wonder if they are the only intelignet franchise out there lookign for good pieces for cheap and taking european market seriously...

ManRam
09-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah. Not a bad signing. They got a really nice bench in SA.

BlinkManJan02
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
damn, i figured Bogans wouldn't be back in Milwaukee, too bad he's gone. Good signing by the Spurs!

mitch91
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
pretty solid pickup

NiTEFuRY
09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
not sure this is a great move, or anything but depth, Bogans never stood out to me.

Superboy21
09-22-2009, 01:35 PM
This is a very intelligent and fitting move for the Spurs. They not only add an experienced perimeter defender, but also someone who can catch and shoot. With Parker running the show, you know how he likes to get into the lane and dish it off many times a game. With Bowen no longer on the right and left corners, they needed someone who can potentially fill that role. Bogans does that, and at that minimum price, I think it's another great offseason addition by the Spurs.

Joshtd1
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I think it will help, even though I dont think he will get many minutes behind Mason/Manu/RJ/Finley

DerekRE_3
09-22-2009, 02:51 PM
nice depth signing.

ko8e24
09-22-2009, 03:58 PM
signing is okay, but not significant for the spurs to match up with lakeshow. i think they need one more post-scoring threat to challenge LA in the west.

Ace33Bone
09-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I think that this was a very good pick up to add some depth to their bench... Spurs are making some very good moves this off season

JayW_1023
09-24-2009, 04:10 AM
I like this signing alot...Finley is getting old...and Bogans is the perfect guy for our system. He is an underrated perimeter defender who doesn't demand touches. This signing is underrated, my bias as a Spurs fan aside.

I'm excited for the new season. I really hope Manu can come back strong and return to his 2007-2008 form.