PDA

View Full Version : If the refs don't come back to work...

mike_noodles
09-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Where will the Raptors play their home games, does anyone know? Replacement officials aren't allowed under Canadian law. If anyone knows, could you please post a link. Thanks.

SA5195
09-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Where will the Raptors play their home games, does anyone know? Replacement officials aren't allowed under Canadian law. If anyone knows, could you please post a link. Thanks.

You got a link?, Raps are obviously gonna play in Toronto, if they didn't there would be news all around Canada.

The Wise 1
09-21-2009, 03:39 PM
You didnt hear? There playing in Buffalo. And the Bills are coming here. Were swapping the teams.

Bob_at_york
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
When did this "No replacement officials" thing happen? I remember when replacement umps worked here back during the umping strike.

aman_13
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
:confused:

MackSnackWrap
09-21-2009, 03:54 PM
wtf, were gonna play in To or not play at all IMO

secterm
09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I think they should bring Tim Donaghy back...just so long as we are on the right side of his gambling bets :D

clutchski
09-21-2009, 04:15 PM
You didnt hear? There playing in Buffalo. And the Bills are coming here. Were swapping the teams.

I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Gibby
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
When did this "No replacement officials" thing happen? I remember when replacement umps worked here back during the umping strike.

they didnt say there going to use replacement officials. they said if a deal doesn't get done, they have a plan prepared to use replacement officials.

i am not sure about that canadian law. i am pretty sure raps will play their home games in toronto.

yungballah15
09-21-2009, 04:24 PM
ill be a ref!!!1

clutchski
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Hasn't a referee lockout happened before? I also heard they'll be using WNBA refs. And if there was going to be issues in Canada it would have been brought up by some NBA media already.

SA5195
09-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Bills are just playing 1 game here.

smith&wesson
09-21-2009, 04:39 PM
If theyre was a chance that the raps couldnt play at the acc it would be all over the paper, online, you would see articles on psd probably. I really dont think that they will be playing else where or it would be somewhat of a big deal and writers would be all over it.

SA5195
09-21-2009, 04:42 PM
If theyre was a chance that the raps couldnt play at the acc it would be all over the paper, online, you would see articles on psd probably. I really dont think that they will be playing else where or it would be somewhat of a big deal and writers would be all over it.

My point exactly!

mike_noodles
09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
This is what I'm saying, why is nobody talking about this??? When the umps were out on strike the Jays were preparing to play all of their home games in Syracuse, luckily the strike was settled during spring training though. but if you really think about it, IF you can use replacement workers in Canada, why wasn't TO's garbage picked up during the city strike? Not allowed to use replacement workers during a labour dispute, this I know, if we don't hear anything by tomorrow, I will find a link and post it.

mike_noodles
09-21-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.yorku.ca/ddoorey/lawblog/?p=1327&cpage=1

This article states that there is a lot of grey areas, but the author doesn't feel that the NBA would be able to "lockout" the referees and use replacement workers.

MackSnackWrap
09-21-2009, 09:41 PM

exactlty

jazzybeast
09-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Its not that the Raptors can't play games in Toronto during a ref lockout, its that they can't use replacement refs in those games. They would have to use the 'real' refs for Toronto games only, since the lockout is not recognized as a legal lockout in Ontario. Its also possible that the NBA will use replacement refs in Toronto and the Refs union just won't complain about it. Replacement umpires were ruled illegal for use in Toronto during the lockout of the umps in the mid 1990s.