PDA

View Full Version : Can Steve Nash really lead a team to a title as the best player?

TannerOwnsDevin
09-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Im just wondering since he said that a title should'nt define a players career. Say, he had an opportunity to play with another set of roster in his MVP seasons, do you think he can really lead a team to a title?

SA5195
09-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Don't think so...He had Shaq, and has Amer'e and all them other players, so IMO no.

BkOriginalOne
09-20-2009, 04:23 PM
The Suns could have won the title if it weren't for bad reffing during some of those Spurs matchups.

Ethix11
09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
hes had solid teams and still wasent able to. And theres questions about his defense.

b_rad23
09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
He's never been the best player on his teams.

He can win a title as the 2nd best though (Dirk, Amare)

blazerman
09-20-2009, 05:00 PM
He makes others better of course like any good PG should but to win a championship you need a solid team. It doesnt have to be filled with superstars but a couple of consistent scoring options and some defenders are a must (lots of other factors of course).

No I dont think he can win a title as the best player unless he has a balanced team and he wont have that in Phoenix over the next 3 yrs.

ink
09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
The whole point behind Nash's success is that he makes other players "best players". It's a different philosophy. Could a team win with him running the offence? Sure. And it almost happened a couple of years ago.

Sly Guy
09-20-2009, 05:28 PM
seeing it's multiple option, I chose both. Because he could have, but he's too old now.

nipo10847
09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
He couldn't win because of Mike D'Antonie. His stupid run and gun system was fun to watch but destroyed their chances to win at least 2 titiles. Nash, Amare, Marion, Joe Johnson in a team??? U gotta be kidding me that this team cant win it all. All the blames go to Mike D'Antonie IMO. NY will b fun to watch in Mike's run and gun, but Lebron will never b able to win a ring if he goes there for sure.

ink
09-20-2009, 05:35 PM
He couldn't win because of Mike D'Antonie. His stupid run and gun system was fun to watch but destroyed their chances to win at least 2 titiles. Nash, Amare, Marion, Joe Johnson in a team??? U gotta be kidding me that this team cant win it all. All the blames go to Mike D'Antonie IMO. NY will b fun to watch in Mike's run and gun, but Lebron will never b able to win a ring if he goes there for sure.

Those four guys were never healthy together when the team was contending. JJ's injury was the reason that 2004-05 team didn't go deeper into the post-season. Also, they had no bench that year. That team won 62 games, and got blown out 4-1 in the WCF against the Spurs after JJ got injured.

Pensx3
09-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Steve Nash is beyond his prime and cant lead a team to a championship...plus he is canadien

Shady66
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Steve Nash is beyond his prime and cant lead a team to a championship...plus he is canadien

what does it matter that hes canadian....

MrFastBreak
09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
He had a chance back in 04.
Now, I don't think he'll be able to lead Phoenix to a title or be a Finals MVP, he getting up there in age.

Raph12
09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
He was never the best player on the Suns (Stat) or Mavs (Dirk) IMO, the leader for sure, but not the best player. Nash is not a great player, so if he is the best the team has then I'm gonna go with a definite no, Nash was a great offensive PG, but defense is still the key to winning rings, something Nash knows little of.

Nexus
09-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I think for sure he could have. A few different referees one year and he might have. People forget Nash can do it all on the offensive end. If they need him to score, he can score; if they need him to make plays, he makes plays. What year was it that in the first round he averaged about 15/13 and in the second round he averaged like 25/7.

dodie53
09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
i think not.

sorry Stevie.

Ebbs
09-20-2009, 09:39 PM
In his prime yes now no....

bogdanrom
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
He's never been the best player on his teams.

He can win a title as the 2nd best though (Dirk, Amare)

WHAT?!? During his MVP season he was easily better than Amare.

Spurred1
09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't know-at this stage of his career it is unlikely.

sdweston757
09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
yes

Burkey3472
09-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Now, no way, with his age he is going to start breaking down soon.

Wiz kids
09-20-2009, 10:48 PM
He can't defend.

Bashna
09-20-2009, 11:05 PM
ebbs said it...In his prime definitely, now probably not.

He could've had it not been for bad refs and questionable suspensions and unlucky injuries. But it unfortunately didnt happen and he really deserves a ring =(

JordansBulls
09-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Im just wondering since he said that a title should'nt define a players career. Say, he had an opportunity to play with another set of roster in his MVP seasons, do you think he can really lead a team to a title?

Those teams had at least 2 other allstars and each of those teams lost series with HCA. If you can't win series with HCA and winning 60 games, then you just aren't good enough to carry a team.

arkanian215
09-21-2009, 12:03 AM
he still did amazing last year... i think he still has plenty left.

ink
09-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Those teams had at least 2 other allstars and each of those teams lost series with HCA. If you can't win series with HCA and winning 60 games, then you just aren't good enough to carry a team.

Nash is the opposite of the "carry the team" philosophy. It's amazing how strong that bias is in basketball fans. That's not the only way the game is played. Nash is about making other players the "best" on the team. That's the way he plays the game.

Anyway it's good to see Nash getting respect from at least half of the posters. A lot fairer judgement than when he won his MVPs and got dissed constantly.

he still did amazing last year... i think he still has plenty left.

:clap:

wmudford
09-21-2009, 01:57 AM
I dont see where he has dropped off that much. When Alvin Gentry took the head coaching job he was right back where he was in his mvp seasons.Points 19.2- Assists 9.2- FG 55%- 3pt 47% in the last 2 months of the season at 34 minutes a game. Id say he is still in the prime of his career maybe for a couple more years. The suns will suprise this year

dodie53
09-21-2009, 02:38 AM
The suns will suprise this year

i really hope so

JPHX
09-21-2009, 03:02 AM
i think the transition these past two years for the team has put Nash under the "he's gonna break down soon" category. At this point he can only play one style, run n gun. Kerr tried to changed that and it bit the suns in the ***. Once the suns start winning again, Nash's deficiencies will be overlooked just like it was his two MVP years.

knickfan4life
09-21-2009, 03:22 AM
in those mvp years, yes i think he should have won... that exact suns team with a REAL coach who teachs defense would have won a title IMO... i think jeff van gundy with that suns team with shaq would have gone VERY far compared to DAntoni, even though he makes the knicks look better than crap now, to win a chip, you need defense... DAntoni will never win one, but nash in those years could easily have done it... with the right coaching, but Nash dont play defense... do u blame him he played a majority of his career for DAntoni and don nelson for gods sake lol who would play defense playing 80% of their career for coaches like that lol

smith&wesson
09-21-2009, 03:43 AM
The whole point behind Nash's success is that he makes other players "best players". It's a different philosophy. Could a team win with him running the offence? Sure. And it almost happened a couple of years ago.

almost ?? does almost really count ? im a nash fan. kid canada is a great locker room guy, an all star, the guy that makes his team mates better, does all the right stuff.. but did he ever get it done ?

not with in dalls: dirk, finley (in his prime), antoine walker, jamison

not with pheonix: amare, barbosa, diaw, bell, marion

2008-9 shaq, amare, barbosa, hill, j rishardson

as long as teams like San An, and LA are around nash wont ever be able to surpass them unles he has a lebron on his team or something. truethfully i think he should go to clevland and just feed lebron and hit open jumbers all day. that would be somthing to watch .. but i dreaming.

Ace33Bone
09-21-2009, 09:14 AM
I dont think he will lead phoenix to a title but if he gets with the right team than it definitely is possible... I just cant think of a team where he would be the best player on the squad

Basketballguy87
09-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Omg no!!!