PDA

View Full Version : Young Big Men in the NBA

Barack
09-18-2009, 07:28 PM
While NBA rosters are crowded with guards and forwards of every size and description, back-to-the-basket, tough-hombre centers are the league's most endangered species.

Consider, for example, the plentitude of variously accomplished big men who prowled the lanes from 1977 to 1988: Hakeem Olajuwon, Moses Malone, Bob Lanier, Elvin Hayes, Patrick Ewing, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Artis Gilmore, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Willis Reed, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, Bill Cartwright, Joe Barry Carroll and Bill Walton.

Dwight Howard stands alone among young NBA centers. (Fernando Medina / Getty Images)

On the other hand, the very best of today's equivalents include Yao Ming (who's injured and whose future is uncertain), Tim Duncan (who has many more good years behind him than ahead of him), Shaquille O'Neal (definitely on his last legs), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (going, going and almost gone), and Dwight Howard (who's still a work in progress).

Why, then, is there such a shortage of prime-time bigs these days?

# Because many young big men watch endless highlights of NBA action and busy themselves playing basketball video games. Plus, they're primarily interested in fancy handling, dunking, shooting 3-pointers and blocking shots.

# This limited vision of what bigs can and should do is reinforced when they see 7-footers like Andrea Bargnani and Dirk Nowitzki play like small forwards.

# Besides, most fledgling centers don't want to bang around in the paint or learn the footwork specific to effective low-post play. Practice, after all, is boring,

# Most importantly, there's a dearth of talented big-men coaches at the high school, AAU and college levels.

Let's examine the best of the NBA's young (under 30) centers to try to determine which if any of them might blossom into the type of fire-eating, Bogarting big man that can dominate the middle like the greats of yesteryear.

# Al Jefferson (24 years old) doesn't play much defense and isn't interested in passing but has the most developed, the most ornery and the most versatile low-post game of his peers. If only Jefferson played for a better team than the T-Wolves he'd certainly be a headline performer.

# Kendrick Perkins (24) has evolved to the point where he can use his massive body to great advantage in the pivot. Plus, the young man just loves to bang at both ends of the court. However, will the presence of Rasheed Wallace dramatically curtail Perkins' playing time and rate of development?

# Pau Gasol (29) isn't young anymore and is more of a tricky low-post scorer than a forceful one. Yet because of the paucity of his rivals, he nevertheless belongs near the top of this particular list.

# Emeka Okafor (27) is as good as he's ever going to be a somewhat forceful role player with limited offense.

# Nene (27) certainly has the goods. He's a powerhouse with a surprisingly good touch, but he needs to be more consistent. The fact that he doesn't get sufficient touches to get into a prolonged groove is decisive in this regard.

# Andrew Bogut (24) is perhaps the most savvy of the young bigs and also possesses very good hands. But he makes too many mistakes with the ball, is injury-prone (he's missed over 21 percent of Milwaukee's games in the past three seasons) and he lacks the kind of top-of-the-line talent that can boost him to the apex of his position.

# Amare Stoudemire (26) is a face-up and a screen-and-roll player who rarely ventures into the low post. Indeed, his modus operandi resembles a power forward more than it does a true center.

# Tyson Chandler (26) doesn't scare opponents when he has the ball in his hands unless he's about to throw down a putback dunk or a lob pass. In addition to his offensive limitations, Chandler is a magnet for personal fouls. In any event, he's found his niche as an erratic role player.

# Andris Biedrins (23) has the same strengths (rebounding, help defense and blocking shots) as Chandler and is even more of a liability on offense. Also, Biedrins only plays with his back to the basket on defense.

# Eddy Curry (26) has the inside skills and the bulk to be an effective post-up scorer. However, his inability to rebound, defend or pass will prevent him from becoming a dreadnaught big man.

# Darko Milicic (24) has all of the necessary tools to excel at this position, but waiting for him to realize his potential is like waiting for Godot.

# Chris Kaman (27) has an effective if robotic drop step and jump hook that he can use going either right or left. He's also an above-average rebounder and shot-blocker. Too bad he's athletically challenged.

# Greg Oden (21) has the power to succeed, but his offense is still sloppy and limited. Moreover, he can't seem to play defense without fouling, which curtails his playing time and slows his development. However, since young bigs normally require three seasons to either reach their NBA maturity or prove to be unsalvageable busts, it's still possible though not probable that Oden can become a monster in the middle.

# Brook Lopez (21) is another young player who has a considerable upside. But, because he plays for the woeful Nets, Lopez will be allowed to develop his game without the pressure that Oden has. It could even happen that Lopez will later than sooner catch and surpass Oden.

# Andrew Bynum (21) has perhaps the most potential of all the young centers, but after four years in the league, he remains a stranger in paradise.

On the other hand, it's quite possible that the NBA game will eventually become a haven for small-ball and small-ballers where triple-X-sized players will only be required to defend, set screens, block shots, rebound and shoot layups.

Or perhaps in 10 years, the league will be chock full of 7-foot point guards.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10081454/Why-there

clutchski
09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Good read, he forgot #1 draft pick Andrea Bargnani.

Barack
09-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Good read, he forgot #1 draft pick Andrea Bargnani.

i was thinking the same thing lol...

Harmonic
09-18-2009, 07:35 PM
# Chris Kaman (27) has an effective — if robotic — drop step and jump hook that he can use going either right or left. He's also an above-average rebounder and shot-blocker. Too bad he's athletically challenged.

what they're trying to say is.... Too bad hes not black

asandhu23
09-18-2009, 07:38 PM
see I talked about this a while ago.... everyone and i mean everyone started shouting back then about this same topic.

Red Hot Rolllin
09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Howard, Bosh, Bynum and Oden are the big 4 now that Ming is down. I think if you asked any GM in the NBA what big he would start his franchise with... it would be one of these four with Oden and Howard leading the list.

FlakeyFool
09-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Howard, Bosh, Bynum and Oden are the big 4 now that Ming is down. I think if you asked any GM in the NBA what big he would start his franchise with... it would be one of these four with Oden and Howard leading the list.

:facepalm:

really? Oden over Bosh? no.

Hawkeye15
09-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Jefferson ahead of anyone but Dwight dude.

King P
09-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Brook Lopez will be a force for years to come. How big men in the NBA are effective on offense and defense like him? He can defend, block, rebound, has good post up moves, has a good jumper, and can shoot free throws. All he has to work on is not being too aggressive and getting into foul trouble.

He has already surpassed Oden IMO, and I can even see him surpassing Bynum soon. I also see him putting up Dwight Howard numbers in the near future. Look out for Brook Lopez.

thapharcyd
09-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Brook Lopez will be a force for years to come. How big men in the NBA are effective on offense and defense like him? He can defend, block, rebound, has good post up moves, has a good jumper, and can shoot free throws. All he has to work on is not being too aggressive and getting into foul trouble.

He has already surpassed Oden IMO, and I can even see him surpassing Bynum soon. I also see him putting up Dwight Howard numbers in the near future. Look out for Brook Lopez.

Hopefully his brother can learn how to do some of that! :laugh2:

MackSnackWrap
09-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Bosh is a young big man only 24 or 25

Mane
09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Javale Mother****ing McGee is the future of big men in the NBA.

DerekRE_3
09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
They will be mentioning Spencer Hawes soon. 7'1 with 3 point range and a post game.

heattiltheend94
09-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Jeferson is 2nd to D12

SA5195
09-19-2009, 03:45 PM
No Bosh? he's only 25. And Bargs is only like 22 or 23 and not him too?

MackSnackWrap
09-19-2009, 04:11 PM
No Bosh? he's only 25. And Bargs is only like 22 or 23 and not him too?

Thats what im saying

Hellcrooner
09-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Lopez, HAwes, Mcgee, Marc Gasol, Oden those 5 can have VERY GOOD careers in my opinion.

asandhu23
09-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Lopez, HAwes, Mcgee, Marc Gasol, Oden those 5 can have VERY GOOD careers in my opinion.

marc gasol over Andris?

heatbb
09-19-2009, 04:31 PM
marc gasol over Andris?

Why not? Marc is stronger and a way better defender.

Hellcrooner
09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
im talking baout PURE centers not power foawrds playing center like biedrins, al jeff, bargnani etx

Raph12
09-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Top 10 Big Men 26 yo or younger:
1. Dwight Howard
2. Al Jefferson
3. Amare Stoudamire
4. Chris Bosh
5. Greg Oden
6. Brook Lopez
7. Andrew Bynum
8. Nene Hilario
9. Andreas Biedrins
10. Emeka Okafor
Honorable Mentions: Marc Gasol and Andrea Bargnani

MrFastBreak
09-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Top 10 Big Men 26 yo or younger:
1. Dwight Howard
2. Al Jefferson
3. Amare Stoudamire
4. Chris Bosh
5. Greg Oden
6. Brook Lopez
7. Andrew Bynum
8. Nene Hilario
9. Andreas Biedrins
10. Emeka Okafor

1. Dwight Howard
2. Al Jefferson
3. Amare Stoudamire
4. Chris Bosh
5. Brook Lopez
6. Greg Oden
7. Nene Hilario
8. Andrew Bynum
9. Andreas Biedrins
10. Emeka Okafor

kurtismurray
09-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Wow. really? No Paul Millsap? He DEF. belongs top 10 young big men

AllTheWay
09-19-2009, 11:56 PM
1. Dwight Howard
2. Al Jefferson
3. Amare Stoudamire
4. Chris Bosh
5. Brook Lopez
6. Greg Oden
7. Nene Hilario
8. Andrew Bynum
9. Andreas Biedrins
10. Emeka Okafor

How the hell is Oden ahead of anyone on this list? Especially Nene, Biedrins, and Okafor? If anything he belongs in the honorable mention.

My list:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Chris Bosh
3. Amare
4. Brook Lopez
5. Nene Hilario
6. Andreas Biedrins
7. Emeka Okafor
8. Andrea Bargnani
9. Andrew Bynum
10. Spencer Hawes

Honorable mention: Marc Gasol, Greg Oden, Javale McGee, Roy Hibbert, Millsap

Hawkeye15
09-19-2009, 11:58 PM

did you purposely leave out Al Jefferson, a 24 year old who has averaged 22/11 the last 2 years, FAR better than any young big outside Dwight, and even better numbers than your boy Pau?

Hawkeye15
09-19-2009, 11:59 PM
honestly, where the F is Al Jefferson on these little lists??????? He is 24.

DerekRE_3
09-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Wow. really? No Paul Millsap? He DEF. belongs top 10 young big men

They mean Centers.

Ethix11
09-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Read the **********ing thread, before you **********ing post. Bosh nor Bargniani are nothing like what is being discussed here. Were talking Centers not PFs or Centers that play like SFs. I have to say Al Jefferson is the second best "Center" in the league. But the game has changed and the days of the back to the basket big men are numbered though. Athleticism is taking over and if you stick to petty footwork, someones gonna come and do this to you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M54H307qhy4
or this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbxzfVl_7c4&feature=fvsr
Too bad its not in HD. the face on this guy at 1:30 is laughable because he looks worried. Priceless. Also check 2:02 lol
This will always be his claim to fame. Stick to the footwork pal

Hellcrooner
09-20-2009, 10:11 AM
i was talking bout true centers.

rapjuicer06
09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Read the **********ing thread, before you **********ing post. Bosh nor Bargniani are nothing like what is being discussed here. Were talking Centers not PFs or Centers that play like SFs. I have to say Al Jefferson is the second best "Center" in the league. But the game has changed and the days of the back to the basket big men are numbered though. Athleticism is taking over and if you stick to petty footwork, someones gonna come and do this to you!
or this
Too bad its not in HD. the face on this guy at 1:30 is laughable because he looks worried. Priceless. Also check 2:02 lol

hahaha get out the way stewie, get out the way family guy...friggin' amazing

Hawkeye15
09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
here we got with the true center bs. If you play C, you are a center. Al Jefferson gets 23/11, and gets it where many of you consider him out of position. If a 5' PG is getting 23/11 at C, he is outplaying your "true" center, getting 14/9.
Does this make it easier to understand??

Hellcrooner
09-20-2009, 01:12 PM
anyway hope al jeff cmes bak in good shape after th einjury we need some yougnsters to replace the dirks, tims, kevins and paus

J-Relo
09-20-2009, 01:50 PM

:facepalm:

Hawkeye15
09-20-2009, 05:59 PM
anyway hope al jeff cmes bak in good shape after th einjury we need some yougnsters to replace the dirks, tims, kevins and paus

until I see it with my own eyes, I am not sure how healthy he is, but he is supposedly lost about 15 lbs, and claims to be 95% ready. Should be fine by game 1.
And you threw in Pau, haha. Your devotion is undying, I will give you that brother.

Lakergirl24
09-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I cant wait to see bynum this year. Hes had unlucky injuries, but if he stays healthy, watch out league.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I cant wait to see bynum this year. Hes had unlucky injuries, but if he stays healthy, watch out league.

his stats will be hindered by Kobe and Pau getting so many looks, and the fact that he gets in to foul trouble from time to time. And the health is a big deal.
He has the tools, just not sure if he has the drive from what I have seen. The kid needs to have a 75+ game year. I think he could have a 15-10 year, with some major defensive presence, but he is by no means in the class of Dwight or Al Jefferson for young post players.

Hellcrooner
09-20-2009, 08:32 PM
well pau has wn today yet another medal and a gol one and yeat another fiba mvp the same year he won the nba ring

go figure.....

Hawkeye15
09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
well pau has wn today yet another medal and a gol one and yeat another fiba mvp the same year he won the nba ring

go figure.....

Best player ever. :)

SA5195
09-20-2009, 08:42 PM
or this

Last time I checked Bargs is a center.

Hellcrooner
09-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Best player ever. :)

Best SPANISH player ever.

And on contention for best European player ever. Simple as that.