PDA

View Full Version : Miami HEAT To Retire Tim Hardaway’s No. 10

JordansBulls
09-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Source: NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/heat/news/heat_retire_tim_hardaways_no_0910.html)

http://www.nba.com/heat/photos/600_hardaway_090917.jpg

The Miami HEAT has announced that it will retire Tim Hardaway’s number 10 jersey in a pre-game ceremony prior to the team’s Oct. 28 season-opener against the New York Knicks. Hardaway will become just the second HEAT player to have his jersey retired, joining former teammate Alonzo Mourning whose number 33 jersey was retired on Mar. 30, 2009. The HEAT will honor Hardaway with a special pre-game video presentation and jersey retirement ceremony, where his jersey will be placed in the rafters alongside banners for Mourning and former team trainer Ron Culp and the HEAT’s division, conference, and NBA championship banners at the AmericanAirlines Arena.

"When you think about the Miami HEAT organization and the 20-plus years that the franchise has been in existence, there are always going to be those names that have helped develop the taproot and foundation for what we hope to be a long tradition of success here in Miami,” said HEAT President Pat Riley. “Alonzo Mourning was one. His jersey now is hanging from the rafters in the AmericanAirlines Arena. Tim Hardaway is another, who today we are proud to announce will have his jersey retired on opening night against the New York Knicks. We feel that Tim has been one of those building blocks and one of those players who has done us proud and we feel he is most deserving of having this special honor on this particular night."

Raps18-19 Champ
09-17-2009, 05:07 PM
I still don't see why they retired MJ's number.

But cool for Tim Hardaway.

Mile High Champ
09-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Nice.. I still have my Tim Hardaway Heat Jersey, granted its small as hell on me now but yeah really happy for him...

Hawkeye15
09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I will never forget the killer crossover. And the elbow out on the jumper, haha. Loved Timmy

Chronz
09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
He really only had 2 good seasons and played horrible in one those postseasons, if hes retirement worthy then so are alot of players. Tim was great and all, but to get your jersey retired should take years of service or heavy winning. It would be like the Orlando Magic retiring Tmac's #.

grkmaster
09-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I will never forget the killer crossover. And the elbow out on the jumper, haha. Loved Timmy

...or the shot behind the backboard falling out of bounds that shouldn't have counted......

shep33
09-17-2009, 06:44 PM
This guy was awesome, one of the premeir pgs back in the day. When he was with the Warriors, i've never seen so many defenders getting shook. It's almost as if Timmy started the trend for ball handling skills in the early to mid 90s generation.

RaiderLakersA's
09-17-2009, 07:09 PM
I can see adding his name to a ring of honor or something, but to retire his jersey???? I don't know about that. When I think of players whose numbers get retired, I think of Jackie Robinson and guys like that. Different sport, but same thought process.

Lakers4ItAll
09-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Poor Heat really should only have Zo retired

chicago lulz
09-17-2009, 07:20 PM

:confused:

Tim Hardaway was definitely one of my favorites as a child.

bbcmillionaire
09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
hardaway was sick, like t-mac combined with iverson

Spurred1
09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Is he the one that made the comments about homosexuals a few years back? Not that it is relevant to the topic, I'm wondering if it's the right guy I'm thinking of...

IRUAM #21
09-17-2009, 07:52 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

jayl1377
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Is he the one that made the comments about homosexuals a few years back? Not that it is relevant to the topic, I'm wondering if it's the right guy I'm thinking of...

Rumor has it that John Amaechi will be the Master of Ceremonies for the event

fairandbalanced
09-17-2009, 08:26 PM
he didn't do a thing worth remembering. Probably one of those Jerseys, everyone would need to search Wikipedia to know who the heck he is.

MackSnackWrap
09-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Really like Tim Hardway, its good that there retiring his jersey

Ethix11
09-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Yeah, hes THAT guy :nod:

I can assure you that there wont be anymore numbers up in the rafters for a very long time. Possibly until D Wade retires or something. But i feel like it had to be done because had it not been for those darn Bulls & JORDAN in the 90s we could of had a Championship. Those were some nice memories for us however for being one of the younger franchises..Plus hes had alot to do with the community. Great guy. :clap:

Hawkeye15
09-17-2009, 09:39 PM
He really only had 2 good seasons and played horrible in one those postseasons, if hes retirement worthy then so are alot of players. Tim was great and all, but to get your jersey retired should take years of service or heavy winning. It would be like the Orlando Magic retiring Tmac's #.

well, this is very true, but the Heat are a 20 year old franchise in search or need of forming a history compared to an old franchise, and TH was a great player for a few years. He was a dominant PG for 4 of his seasons, to an extent.
His crossover move was disgusting. Gotta give him some props!!

iggypop123
09-17-2009, 10:42 PM
are their standards that low?

Chronz
09-18-2009, 02:23 AM
well, this is very true, but the Heat are a 20 year old franchise in search or need of forming a history compared to an old franchise, and TH was a great player for a few years. He was a dominant PG for 4 of his seasons, to an extent.
His crossover move was disgusting. Gotta give him some props!!

Yea but that crossover was most effective in Golden State, dont get me wrong he had the 2 best seasons of his career in Miami, but by the time Mourning was an All-NBA 1st teamer his knees were shot. That was Zo's year to make his mark and Timmy couldnt make it happen.

Hawkeye15
09-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Yea but that crossover was most effective in Golden State, dont get me wrong he had the 2 best seasons of his career in Miami, but by the time Mourning was an All-NBA 1st teamer his knees were shot. That was Zo's year to make his mark and Timmy couldnt make it happen.

It was a shame that Tim didn't hold up, I liked that Miami team.

MiamiLoyal926
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM

Its not that our standards are low, it’s that Tim Hardaway was a key ingredient to putting Miami on the map in Basketball sense. He is the foundation and building blocks of our organization.

If it weren’t for the Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning era; I wouldn’t be a basketball or Heat fan as an adult. They introduced me and lured me into this game that is so beloved to me. It’s a Miami thing and we know how to value what he did for us here.

I’m a High School Basketball coach now, so in a way he shaped my future. I believe he deserves his number retired here in Miami. If you are not from here then you might not understand the importance of his time on the heat and to our organization.

Brooklyn Mets
09-18-2009, 09:54 AM
good for him..

CQSox305
09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
The Heat was my squad in the late 90's early 00's! Happy for Timmy always like him :clap:

Big Zo
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
One of my all-time favs and I still have his jersey, which miraculously still fits. I'll be wearing it on opening day for sure.

marlinsfan24
09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Hardaway meant so much to the Heat on the floor, but so much more for establishing Miami basketball. One of my all time favorite players. He deserves this.

fishfan79
09-18-2009, 07:40 PM
really should retire a jersey number in honor of Riley imo

he is the reason the heat are even still in miami let alone a major sucess in this market

JordansBulls
09-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Hardaway was a stud.