PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Piston Allen Iverson: 'I was lied to'

DenButsu
09-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Ex-Piston Allen Iverson: 'I was lied to'

"The Pistons are liars." Those are harsh words but they come from Allen Iverson's business manager and high school football coach Gary Moore. He told the Memphis Commercial Appeal that Iverson was promised he would become the leader of the Pistons after a trade that sent Pistons point guard and leader Chauncey Billups to the Denver Nuggets.

Instead Iverson was sent into exile as the Pistons' season crumbled.

Iverson never grasped the team concept and it seemed as if his new teammates never grasped him as a friend.

"People in Detroit weren't very truthful to Iverson," Moore said. "He couldn't really trust what people had told him."

Pistons President Joe Dumars did not return messages to respond.

Moore claims the situation in Memphis is different and that the Grizzlies were honest with him after signing him to a one-year, $3.5 million deal, a huge cut from the $21 million he made last season.

"(The Grizzlies) were up front with him," Moore said. "When he sat down and met with them eye-to-eye he said I just was lied to and it almost destroyed my career. What do you guys want from me? If you want me to come here and sell tickets, you've got the wrong guy. If I come here, I want to win." Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20090917/OPINION03/909170368/1265/SPORTS08/Ex-Piston-Allen-Iverson---I-was-lied-to-)

Wilson
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I've been on Allen Iverson's side through most of this, but this is pretty stupid. You can't join a team full of veterens and just be promised you'll be the leader. You have to earn those guys' trust and respect, especially when replacing a leader on the level of Chauncey Billups.

PJAF
09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
AI is the Answer.

GAWDtv
09-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Of course he was lied to. Why would he agree to come to Detroit and come off the bench behind Stuckey? Stuckey is no more a PG than AI. Hamilton was not the problem. He should have started beside AI and Stuckey should have come off the bench. If that was such a bad fit they should not have made such a trade and AI (who we all know would not have signed off if he was told he was to come off the bench) should not be blamed for Micheal Curry being a head coach.

BkOriginalOne
09-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I can undertand not wanting to stunt stuckey's growth.. but I agree, AI should have just started alongside Hamilton and have Stuckey (overrated) come off the bench.
Dumars is kind of foolish for letting Stuckey decent playoff performance against the eventual champs, Boston serve as a cause for him to head into the Stuckey era.

I thought he envionsed a hybird backcourt with Stuckey and Billups.. lost dream I suppose.

Bottom line, AI got the shaft. No way he can come in and do ALL the things billups did.

LakersIn5
09-17-2009, 10:51 AM
I've been on Allen Iverson's side through most of this, but this is pretty stupid. You can't join a team full of veterens and just be promised you'll be the leader. You have to earn those guys' trust and respect, especially when replacing a leader on the level of Chauncey Billups.

blame the pistons management for that. the management said that not AI

and rip/ai 6th:stuckey >>>> rip/stuckey 6th: AI

Fresno
09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Iverson gets a raw deal because his trade to Detroit was not expected to make Detroit better, they wanted to clear cap room and used a former MVP and future HOFer as a salary dump.

Pistons fell apart last season, no chemistry on the team at all. Rip vs Curry, Afflalo vs Curry, Sheed vs Management, Walter Hermann vs Management. It was just a huge mess, funny that Rip Hamilton is the only one whos still left but they signed Ben Gordon to eat his minutes.

prash
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Sounds like Memphis just lied to him as well. They signed him to sell tickets, not win ball games.

AFlagRules
09-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Sounds like Memphis just lied to him as well. They signed him to sell tickets, not win ball games.

Lol.....

Right........So you sign a All-star to add to Mayo, Gay, Gasol and whatever else they have and they don't plan on winning?

SteveNash
09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Of course he was lied to. Why would he agree to come to Detroit and come off the bench behind Stuckey? Stuckey is no more a PG than AI. Hamilton was not the problem. He should have started beside AI and Stuckey should have come off the bench. If that was such a bad fit they should not have made such a trade and AI (who we all know would not have signed off if he was told he was to come off the bench) should not be blamed for Micheal Curry being a head coach.

If AI really thought he was going to be a leader automatically, then he's an idiot.

It certainly doesn't help your leadership role when you suck and get outplayed by Will Bynum.

And for all the crying about AI getting his minutes, and being forced to come off the bench, AI had the second highest MPG average on the team right after Tayshaun Prince.

Pistons were 23-30 with AI starting. 16-13 when he didn't start. So why the hell would that want to start him?

Lol.....

Right........So you sign a All-star to add to Mayo, Gay, Gasol and whatever else they have and they don't plan on winning?

AI is an all star because of his fans, not because he's good. That's why they're bringing him in hoping to sell tickets.

AFlagRules
09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
If AI really thought he was going to be a leader automatically, than he's an idiot.

It certainly doesn't help your leadership role when you suck and get outplayed by Will Bynum.

And for all the crying about AI getting his minutes, and being forced to come off the bench, AI had the second highest MPG average on the team right after Tayshaun Prince.

Pistons were 23-30 with AI starting. 16-13 when he didn't start. So why the hell would that want to start him?

AI is an all star because of his fans, not because he's good. That's why they're bringing him in hoping to sell tickets.

Seriously? Lol, someone else bash this guy, I don't have the time..

Mr.ATLHawks
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
If AI really thought he was going to be a leader automatically, then he's an idiot.

allow me.... AI's MPG was second highest due to his tender in Denver, not in Detroit. Stuckey was the problem last year not AI. Everyone is right Stuckey should have been the 6th Man on that team, AI/Rip/Prince/Sheed/McDyess is a formidable 5. No AI is not a point guard but neither is Stuckey. People love bashing AI due to his earlier years. Some people are incapable of saying hey he was young he got over it. Which he has.. He is an all star b/c he is a ********** All Star..period. Name someone else who plays with the tenacity and injuries like AI does? Dont worry ill wait......

Fact is he gives 100% everytime he is on that court. He is an undersized SG but he makes up for it with he effort and he truly leaves everything on the court. I dont blame him for saying <^> Detroit..

AI is getting old but still can contribute to a team like Memphis. But I can say i am surprised to hear this from a Steve "I dont play a lick of defense but managed to win an MVP Award" Nash fan....

Storch
09-17-2009, 03:43 PM
:pity: its so sad to see iverson go through all this ... He was such a stud in philly back in the day

AI4MVP
09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
if AI agrees to come off the bench, i thikn the grizz have a fighting chance at the playoffs

JordansBulls
09-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah I still don't see why it didn't work in Detroit.

Spurred1
09-17-2009, 05:21 PM
^Because that whole team was dysfunctional.

IversonIsKrazy
09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
man, AI should've bin the starting PG. Stuckey should've came off the bench, they would've done well. ALLEN IVERSON, remember that name, i just cant believe hes gon thru so much this past year to the point that the ONLY team that offered him a contract were the Memphis Grizzlies.

Wilson
09-17-2009, 07:06 PM
blame the pistons management for that. the management said that not AI

and rip/ai 6th:stuckey >>>> rip/stuckey 6th: AI

I know it was the management who said that, but Iverson should have known better. He's been in the league long enough to know that you can't join a team full of 10+ year veterens and expect them to see you as the leader just because the GM said so. Especially a team which has gotten to the Eastern Conference Finals the last five years or something...

BigSteve
09-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Detroit was lied to also. We were told we were getting a good player in return for Billups that was willing to play team basketball. Fact is AI is a shoot first player that has no intreast in even attempting to play defense. If there is any team in the NBA where that kind of player doesn't fit, its in Detroit. Dumars should have never done the trade, but AI shouldn't be complaining either. He knew what kind of team he was coming to, and if you honestly believe a team full of veterans that has had as much success as the Pistons have is going to make you their leader without earning it, your obviously a fool.

allow me.... AI's MPG was second highest due to his tender in Denver, not in Detroit.

Really? He played 3 games with Denver last year. Unless he managed to get in around 200 minutes a game it wasn't going to skew his numbers that much.

GAWDtv
09-17-2009, 07:59 PM

That was with Michael Curry coaching. He just copied what he saw the other coaches do before him. He's no leader. A leader would have made it work. He had a new piece, and since he didn't have a head coach to lead the way Curry F%$#ed it up. Curry could not adjust, in games, in situations or to new talent. AI off the bench behind Stuckey? I know you just some coach potato sitting on a coach becuase if you had an ounce of competitveness in you, you could understand AI's prohblem with coming off the bench BEHIND LESSER TALENT TO LOSE. .500 don't mean ish in the L.

ARMIN12NBA
09-17-2009, 08:00 PM
AI knew something was up when they asked him to be a leader...

If I come here, I want to win.

Truthfully, it looks like Allen Iverson is lying to Allen Iverson.

what54!?
09-17-2009, 08:10 PM
this doesn't explain why he failed in detroit

smith&wesson
09-17-2009, 09:32 PM
-dumars failed to realize that iverson is a hof'er and an allstar. He only saw $$$ in cap releif for this year.

-dumars failed to agknowledge that iverson needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

-dumars gave up billups when clearly billups was never the problem. billups, rip, prince should have all stayed put in detroit. while dumars should have tried to revamp the surounding cast.

-dumars put in a coach like michale curry and allowed him to ask iverson to come of the bench while stucky started. your asking a hall of fame player was still an allstar to come of the bench for stucky on a 500 ball club.

-iverson didnt fail, the pistons didnt fail, dumars failed with a string of poor decision's ( as of late ) in signing a bad coach, also in trading your mvp for iverson who is a scorer that needs the ball to be effective, and now aquiring ben gordon who is also a shoot first player who will be competing with rip for mins, and also aquiring cv3.. now maxiel and charlie will have to fight for mins and still detroit dosnt have a ligit centre.

- Dumars is a good GM but has made questionable moves as of late.

Raph12
09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah I still don't see why it didn't work in Detroit.

1. Joe Dumars
2. Michael Curry
3. Rodney Stuckey
4. Allen Iverson

It could've worked alot better if Iverson started at the point and Stuckey came off the bench, but oh well, it's over now.

AI will have a chance to redeem himself in a sixth man position this season with Memphis, he can come off the bench for 30-39mpg and get 20+ppg, 6+apg and 2+spg earning him the Sixth Man of the Year award. If he can embrace that role, then teams like LA, Boston, Cleveland, San Antonio and Orlando won't be too hesitant to sign him up in 2010 and he could finally get that ring he craves.

3RDASYSTEM
09-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Last time i checked MJ/MAGIC/STOCKTON/ISAIAH/WILT/AI/LEBRON/WADE/TMAC/KOBE/PIERCE/DIRK/CP3/KIDD/NASH/EWING/BARKLEY/OLAJUWON/SHAQ all need the ball in they hands to be effective, in DET he took 14 shots a game,how is that not sacrificing your game for team after avg like 22 in PHI and 18/19 in DEN...hes never had talent like this in MEMPH besides DEN and i think top to bottom GRIZZ is more stacked than DEN, one thing i learned about 'watching' and 'playing' sports is never count out a tru SUPERSTAR with gas in the tank, people keep thinking AI is like MALONE/PAYTON when they tried to ride jock for a chip and maybe in 3-4 yrs AI will be that person but right now he still play at ALL STAR level and im basing it off his last full season with DEN(3RD in PPG behind LEBRON/KOBE...thats damn good company if you ask me,now go ask someone is those two ahead of him is washed up...if you find one,holla at me...

Spurred1
09-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Last time i checked MJ/MAGIC/STOCKTON/ISAIAH/WILT/AI/LEBRON/WADE/TMAC/KOBE/PIERCE/DIRK/CP3/KIDD/NASH/EWING/BARKLEY/OLAJUWON/SHAQ all need the ball in they hands to be effective, in DET he took 14 shots a game,how is that not sacrificing your game for team after avg like 22 in PHI and 18/19 in DEN...hes never had talent like this in MEMPH besides DEN and i think top to bottom GRIZZ is more stacked than DEN, one thing i learned about 'watching' and 'playing' sports is never count out a tru SUPERSTAR with gas in the tank, people keep thinking AI is like MALONE/PAYTON when they tried to ride jock for a chip and maybe in 3-4 yrs AI will be that person but right now he still play at ALL STAR level and im basing it off his last full season with DEN(3RD in PPG behind LEBRON/KOBE...thats damn good company if you ask me,now go ask someone is those two ahead of him is washed up...if you find one,holla at me...
:speechless:

Is this something you honestly believe?

3RDASYSTEM
09-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah but im not saying its by a large mile,its very close...on paper dont mean nothing though, depends on how they gel and how hard they play,with AI on board that wont be a prob, at least MAYO vouched for him publicly...everything in sports start with talent,and GRIZZ is loaded on paper,but so are alot of other teams

AI - BILLUPS
MAYO - SMITH/AFFLALO
GAY - MELO
RANDOLPH - MARTIN
GASOL/THABEET - NENE/ANDERSEN
CONLEY - CARTER
ARTHUR - M.ALLEN
CARROLL/S.YOUNG - R.BALKMAN
JARIC/M.WILLIAMS/S.HUNTER - LAWSON/PETRO

mzgrizz
09-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Getting more fans in the stands is secondary to having a futute HOF'er, ALLEN IVERSON as a GRIZZLY.......and how can you separate one from the other?? If he joins you, they will come.

AFlagRules
09-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Yeah but im not saying its by a large mile,its very close...on paper dont mean nothing though, depends on how they gel and how hard they play,with AI on board that wont be a prob, at least MAYO vouched for him publicly...everything in sports start with talent,and GRIZZ is loaded on paper,but so are alot of other teams

AI - BILLUPS
MAYO - SMITH/AFFLALO
GAY - MELO
RANDOLPH - MARTIN
GASOL/THABEET - NENE/ANDERSEN
CONLEY - CARTER
ARTHUR - M.ALLEN
CARROLL/S.YOUNG - R.BALKMAN
JARIC/M.WILLIAMS/S.HUNTER - LAWSON/PETRO

No.

Denver >>>>>>>>>>>>> Grizz..Until they show me something..

Spurred1
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Memphis has a lot of potential-young still developing players who are question marks right now. There is a lot of talent on that roster-but it will depend on chemistry/cohesion among players.
Denver doesn't have as many question marks as Memphis does at this point-their players are older and more experienced. I really don't see this as a close comparison at all at this point in time.

mzgrizz
09-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Denver is my 2nd favorite team...supported them throughout the playoffs last year...and I have to agree with Spurred's comments. We look GREAT on paper and may translate into a special season, but I doubt we can go as far as the Nuggs this year.
But one can only hope!!!!!!!!!!!!

3RDASYSTEM
09-17-2009, 11:50 PM
All im talking about is 'talent on paper/roster'...compare the players not the chemistry/team issues,then it'll all make sense....in a sense it makes GRIZZ that much more of a wildcard team cuz like SPURRED1 said DEN is more xperienced together such as CELTIC/LAKERS/CAVS/MAGIC/SPURS/HAWKS and few other playoff teams that have played together as finished product,but we have yet to see what the new look GRIZZ can do, and one thing nobody can not say is they dont have firepower...jus dont know how good HOLLINS can coach but i heard he was tutored by H.BROWN so if he preaches 'team D' and they buy into as a whole they should be straight...also they gotta play team ball cuz if they start AI&RANDOLPH they have four guys who command double teams, they can create holes on D every possession if they play 'team ball'

Ebbs
09-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Lol i love AI but thats garbage....
You almost destroyed your career by being a baby and not accepting a lesser role!

Catoblepas
09-18-2009, 02:06 AM
AI has never liked playing PG... just like wade... they both could be among the top PGs in the NBA.. but just like in Denver..he didnt want to play PG... and also he didnt work well in Detroit because he needs the ball in his hands in every play..Another thing about AI is he really cant guard any good players.. I cant say i like stucky very much atm..but he can guard atleast 1/2 the PGs in the NBA well enough.. as far as 2Guards go... Rip atleast has the size advantage.. I like AI dont get me wrong..but putting up the amount of shots he does wont win a championship.. He was complaining alot about not having time to get into rhythm...hmm id say shoot around would be for that.. rip tay and sheed play great together because they trusted one another and could all be in rhythm without needing the ball every play.. AI needs a team of role players..who dont mind letting him handle/shoot the ball whenever he wants

Rocktober2009
09-18-2009, 03:36 AM
This is all so sad really. Allen Iverson is still a good ballplayer and he got little interest on the open market.

He was a class act in Denver I thought, and was sad to see him go. In the end Im happy because Chauncy is here but still...

Allen Iverson is one of the greatest basketball players to ever play the game, it just sucks he was thrown into a terrible situation in Detroit and spit out to suffer for things that were not his fault.

SteveNash
09-18-2009, 04:25 PM
allow me.... AI's MPG was second highest due to his tender in Denver, not in Detroit. Stuckey was the problem last year not AI. Everyone is right Stuckey should have been the 6th Man on that team, AI/Rip/Prince/Sheed/McDyess is a formidable 5. No AI is not a point guard but neither is Stuckey. People love bashing AI due to his earlier years. Some people are incapable of saying hey he was young he got over it. Which he has.. He is an all star b/c he is a ********** All Star..period. Name someone else who plays with the tenacity and injuries like AI does? Dont worry ill wait......

Fact is he gives 100% everytime he is on that court. He is an undersized SG but he makes up for it with he effort and he truly leaves everything on the court. I dont blame him for saying <^> Detroit..

AI is getting old but still can contribute to a team like Memphis. But I can say i am surprised to hear this from a Steve "I dont play a lick of defense but managed to win an MVP Award" Nash fan....

MPG in Detroit:
Tayshaun Prince: 37.3
Allen Iverson 36.5
Chauncey Billups 35.0
Richard Hamilton 34.0
Rodney Stuckey 31.9

That's not including Denver (for which he only played 3 games and wouldn't have much of an impact anyway).

Stuckey had to be the starter because AI is a terrible point guard. They tried to bring Stuckey off the bench, a role he accepted because he's more of a man than AI will ever be. AI had the starting role, they were catering to him, and he was garbage. They tried everything to support him. Starting him a PG, with Stuckey coming off the bench. Starting him at SG with Rip coming off the bench. Starting him at SG with Rip playing SF. Bringing in AI as a sixth man, he was terrible at all his roles.

Sorry, but you can no longer use AI's heart as a testament to his greatness. He doesn't have a heart, the only thing he cares about are stats, he doesn't care about winning never has. That's why he quit and gave up at the end of the season.

Why are you even trying to bring up Steve Nash? Iverson could learn a lot from Nash. Key things that should prolong his career, like learning how to play the PG position, learning how to shot, learning how to get teammates involved. Learning how to not piss off your teammates.

man, AI should've bin the starting PG. Stuckey should've came off the bench, they would've done well. ALLEN IVERSON, remember that name, i just cant believe hes gon thru so much this past year to the point that the ONLY team that offered him a contract were the Memphis Grizzlies.

AI as the starting PG: 4-8 record, 14.3 PPG, 4.9 APG, 2.9 TOPG, 39% FG%

He was terrible, hopefully Memphis isn't dumb enough to try to start him at PG, or start him at any position for that matter.

knickfan4life
09-18-2009, 05:02 PM
i say grizzlies r 6th seed this season