PDA

View Full Version : Captain Jack Fined $25K for Trade Request.

NYKnickFanatic
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
The Golden State Warriors gave Stephen Jackson a vote of confidence, but the league still lowered the boom.

The swingman was fined $25,000 for "public statements detrimental to the NBA," the league announced on Tuesday. On Aug. 28, Jackson said that he would like to be traded to Cleveland, New York or one of the Texas teams.

Warriors coach Don Nelson said on Monday that Jackson is still his captain.

"I've talked to him," Nelson said. "I don't anticipate any problems."

Less than a year ago, Jackson signed a three-year extension worth $28 million.

But the league said in its statement: "Players are not permitted to make trade requests publicly" and cited the case of Ron Artest who was fined in the 2005-06 season for requesting a trade from the Pacers through the media.

Technically, Jackson can appeal the $25,000 fine. But under a change made to the collective bargaining agreement in 2005, Stern himself is the only court of appeal for instances in which he fines a player $50,000 or less or issues a suspension of 12 games or less for off-court behavior that forces him to "preserve the integrity of, or maintain public confidence in, the game of basketball." Only penalties that exceed those thresholds can be appealed through a grievance arbitrator.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4476373

Do players normally get fined for making a trade request?

AllTheWay
09-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't remember Kobe getting fined. But he kept going back and forth, so who knows.

Kakaroach
09-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Kobe never got fined, or at least I don't think he did. But eh this is rare so its weird the NBA would fine him but who cares he's got freaking millions.

IversonIsKrazy
09-15-2009, 11:32 PM
huh:S nor did AI. i nvr players got fined for that.

theLgndKllr35
09-15-2009, 11:45 PM
A.I. never made a trade request. The Sixers thought it was time for him to move on, and he agreed with them.

clutchski
09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't remember Kobe getting fined. But he kept going back and forth, so who knows.

Kobe never got fined, or at least I don't think he did. But eh this is rare so its weird the NBA would fine him but who cares he's got freaking millions.

I can't exactly remember the Kobe statements but isn't this a little different though, I mean Jackson did this in a very public setting..Kobe actually submitted a trade request to the franchise didn't he.

asandhu23
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
economy my friends... back then we weren't in recession. :facepalm:

AllTheWay
09-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Eh you could be right ^

zambo4president
09-16-2009, 03:01 AM
What a ****** way to get ****ed out of your money.

stawka
09-16-2009, 03:05 AM
Kobe didn't get fined by the club because if they did fine him, that would be the end of the Kobe/Lakers love show.

Imagine that. Kobe demands a trade, the club fines him $25K. Kobe would be out the door the first chance he gets

tadmanny
09-16-2009, 04:24 AM
What a ****** way to get ****ed out of your money.

Not really. The team just gave him a 3 year extension that pays him way more than he's worth. The team respects him and thinks of him as a leader and months later he demands to be traded.? Complete BS. Good job by the Nba to put him in his place.

caseyv415
09-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Lol.. Thats what unprofessionalism will get ya!:clap:

Afridi786
09-16-2009, 05:46 AM
At least he said what he felt, unlike the other players in the league who get their *****es to tell everyone what they actually feel.

Ace33Bone
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
So the question is are they going to let him go because I know there are some teams out here drooling at the thought of that

DenButsu
09-16-2009, 10:14 AM
The Selective Ban of Public Trade Requests

September 16, 2009 9:29 AM

How many times have we heard it? Granted, it's not all that common, but it certainly is a known quantity.

NBA players sometimes say, into the microphones of reporters, that they would like to be traded.

Kobe Bryant, for instance, has done just that. (May 31, 2007 to Stephen A. Smith: "I would like to be traded, yeah." There's no ifs, ands or buts about it? "No.")

Shaquille O'Neal did it, too. Al Harrington. And others, besides.

Well, apparently, that's against NBA rules.

Stephen Jackson has been fined by the NBA for making a public trade request.

The NBA points out that Ron Artest was once similarly fined, in the 2005-2006 season.

But was Bryant? O'Neal? Harrington?

Looks to me like players involved in that brawl in Detroit -- Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest -- get fined for trade requests. But does anybody else?TrueHoop (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-44-60/The-Selective-Ban-of-Public-Trade-Requests.html)