PDA

View Full Version : Who should be listed as Center for the Western Conference for the allstar game?

JordansBulls
09-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Who should be listed as Center for the Western Conference for the allstar game?

With Yao Ming possibly out all year, what players will actually be listed as Center in the West for the Allstar game?

Should Duncan move to Center, or Gasol or Amare?

Right now the only one who is I would assume is Al Jefferson.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 12:28 PM
pau wont play center this year unless bynum sucks big time or gets njured again,

duncan should not play center with the last signings

so i guess it will be stou and jeff the one listed as centers,

othwrwise you may end ypo watching biedrins or frigiign marc gasol starting,

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Jefferson should be listed at C anyways, that is where he plays. I would guess Bynum would be the Lakers center, Pau won't be. Duncan may go in as a C. With Yao out, and Shaq gone, it should be interesting.

Chronz
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Bynum will make the allstar game next year, book it

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
sounds about right. Which is ridiculous

lakerboy
09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Bynum should make it.

Chronz
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
sounds about right. Which is ridiculous
Al J will make it too man dont worry

Taimla
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Al Jefferson and Amare Stoudermire.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 12:55 PM
or welll maybe Grizz knows something we dont and Thabeet goes and takes a wild season and makes it:p

I wonder if him or Marc will get ANY shots a game that er not from O rebounds with Gay Iverson mayo and Zach on the team....

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
or welll maybe Grizz knows something we dont and Thabeet goes and takes a wild season and makes it:p

I wonder if him or Marc will get ANY shots a game that er not from O rebounds with Gay Iverson mayo and Zach on the team....

he will get a TON of offensive rebound opportunities, haha.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Al J will make it too man dont worry

he should, no doubt. And really, with there hardly any centers out west, Bynum may actually be one of the top out there. That is what is ridiculous. The age of the center is dying it seems at times

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I like Biedrins Chances to make it to the allstar this year.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 01:10 PM

well, jefferson has been left off 2 years now, and will get the reserve nod over Biedrins I would guess, as he should

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 01:13 PM
i know you are a wolves fan but problem with jeff is will he come back 100% for the injury?.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
i know you are a wolves fan but problem with jeff is will he come back 100% for the injury?.

he is apparently going to be 100% for training camp. And its not like his game was athletic anyways, haha. But yeah, expect 22/11 at least

Chronz
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
he should, no doubt. And really, with there hardly any centers out west, Bynum may actually be one of the top out there. That is what is ridiculous. The age of the center is dying it seems at times
Bynum is carrying the torch just fine, his production in his MPG is on par with most of the centers making the all-star team the past few years. The C position is getting stronger to me, I mean its not like a few years ago when the best we had was Brad Miller and Jamal Magloire.

Bynum is already better than those 2 ever were

MrPaulD
09-14-2009, 01:38 PM
With no viable center on the Suns this season, Amare will spend a lot of time out of the PF position and sharing the C role with Robin Lopez. He will definitely make it as a backup behind Al Jeff.

Chronz
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Yea it depends on how well the forwards are playing. They will make the best possible team, and if it means putting a PF at C they will.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Bynum is carrying the torch just fine, his production in his MPG is on par with most of the centers making the all-star team the past few years. The C position is getting stronger to me, I mean its not like a few years ago when the best we had was Brad Miller and Jamal Magloire.

Bynum is already better than those 2 ever were

sure, I guess I just mean in general. I hope the great center battles of the 60-90's isn't the last we will see

Chi_Town_Boi
09-14-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm looking at Al J or Biedrins. Those are the only two centers that stand out in my mind for the moment. Maybe Okur.

b_russ
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Nene, Biedrins, Kaman, Okafor and Okur all have a decent shot of making it.

ko8e24
09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

I think you have to be really really really good on a crappy to team to make it to the all-star game, like al jefferson (no pun inteded t'wolves fans, they will improve this yr, don't get me wrong). I just dont see Beidrins making it. He's good, but on a crappy team, and coaches won't go for that. U gotta be beaastly like Al Jefferson

Raph12
09-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Who should be listed as Center for the Western Conference for the allstar game?

With Yao Ming possibly out all year, what players will actually be listed as Center in the West for the Allstar game?

Should Duncan move to Center, or Gasol or Amare?

Right now the only one who is I would assume is Al Jefferson.

I think Big Al should get the nod, he has worked hard to establish himself among the elite centers in the league.

dtmagnet
09-14-2009, 04:09 PM
The best player that can play center.

disk 8
09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
nene or Okafor

Chronz
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh yea forgot about those 2. Should be very interesting to see who the fans and the coaches select. Who was behind Yao in the voting last year?

Chronz
09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
sure, I guess I just mean in general. I hope the great center battles of the 60-90's isn't the last we will see

Yea but conversely you never saw these kind of wing battles we have today as often in the 90's either, without Penny/Hill, the overall strength of the swings from that era was severely weakened.

You know the old adage about needing a bigman to win it all, thats usually because they are a rare commodity in the league, it separates the good teams from the great ones. My thinking gos, MJ back in the 90's was rarer than that. Mostly because he was so great, but partly because his position wasnt really competitive (Latrell Spreewell was a 1st teamer IIRC), MJ outdid his position so profoundly that it gave his team the ultimate edge in every game, so to a championship team MJ was every bit as impactful to the game as a dominant bigman is now. But if there was ever an era for him to get away with winning 6 titles without a legit post presence outside himself it was the mid to late 90's.

We've just gone through one of the greatest era's for star SG's/SF's in the history of the game, this decade, yet very few recognize this fact by underrating the stars of today, mostly because they dont match up to the greats of the past in terms of winning, not mentioning that their greatness is somewhat nullified by the caliber of their peers.

Julius Erving would still be Julius Erving in any era, but just like he was in the ABA vs the new NBA, his impact will be comparatively smaller. Even if his play is exactly the same, the fact that his competitors are better influence the maximum amount of games he can win. Julius wouldve been better served playing in the 90's if people were going to judge him by the amount of titles he could win (If you removed MJ of course.)

heattiltheend94
09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Al Jeferson

topdog
09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Watch, after complaining about TD being listed as a C last year, the Spurs will want him listed as such this year.

You're all wrong though. Hamed Hadaddi is going to get all of the Iran vote and be the starting center. Remember he said he was "the star."

mikantsass
09-14-2009, 05:08 PM

I like his chances too. One of the best secrets of the NBA. Anyone think that Okafor will have an all-star worthy season? He is with CP3 now, and he has West on the post with him to draw some attention.....

GAWDtv
09-14-2009, 05:11 PM
nene or Okafor

My centiments exactly :D

MrFastBreak
09-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Amare is a PF. Bynum is overrated. Yao aint playin next season.
So AL, Nene, or Okafor should take the center spot.

JordansBulls
09-14-2009, 05:37 PM
So no one thinks Gasol, Duncan or Amare will be listed as center? Because it would be a travesty to see Biedrins get in as a center over those guys.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
The C spot is booked for Amare and Jefferson.

j-bay
09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
oden maybe?

mikantsass
09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
So no one thinks Gasol, Duncan or Amare will be listed as center? Because it would be a travesty to see Biedrins get in as a center over those guys.

Well Gasol & Duncan are not Centers. I can see Amare getting there for a Center

Bruno
09-14-2009, 07:33 PM
If Jefferson plays anything like he did last season, he should get the starting nod.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Yea but conversely you never saw these kind of wing battles we have today as often in the 90's either, without Penny/Hill, the overall strength of the swings from that era was severely weakened.

You know the old adage about needing a bigman to win it all, thats usually because they are a rare commodity in the league, it separates the good teams from the great ones. My thinking gos, MJ back in the 90's was rarer than that. Mostly because he was so great, but partly because his position wasnt really competitive (Latrell Spreewell was a 1st teamer IIRC), MJ outdid his position so profoundly that it gave his team the ultimate edge in every game, so to a championship team MJ was every bit as impactful to the game as a dominant bigman is now. But if there was ever an era for him to get away with winning 6 titles without a legit post presence outside himself it was the mid to late 90's.

We've just gone through one of the greatest era's for star SG's/SF's in the history of the game, this decade, yet very few recognize this fact by underrating the stars of today, mostly because they dont match up to the greats of the past in terms of winning, not mentioning that their greatness is somewhat nullified by the caliber of their peers.

Julius Erving would still be Julius Erving in any era, but just like he was in the ABA vs the new NBA, his impact will be comparatively smaller. Even if his play is exactly the same, the fact that his competitors are better influence the maximum amount of games he can win. Julius wouldve been better served playing in the 90's if people were going to judge him by the amount of titles he could win (If you removed MJ of course.)

agree. MJ had to compete with Miller, Richmond, Harper, Spree, Hornacek, etc. Not exactly Kobe or Wade, any of them. Many of today's stars don't get the respect they may deserve to them still being active, and everyone wants to see what thier careers end up looking like.
Basketball is a changed game. Now, guys like Bird would still dominate totally, as would Erving, Nique, Ricky Pierce, Adrian Dantley (although he was on the post a lot), Alex English, etc, but I do think the wings of today are better. And that is probably a direct result of MJ. The players now grew up watching Michael, and had a great wing to emulate.

kriviant
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Jefferson - definitely
Bynum - Maybe. If he manages to actually stay on the court throughout the season.
Okafor - yes if he manages to mesh well with the system in N.O.

_KB24_
09-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I won't be surprised to see Bynum over Jefferson

Shady66
09-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I think we will see amare, or duncan in the C voting this year, Al Jeff will start, and my guess is amare will be back up, or it could be gasol as back up and amare at SF and duncan at PF or in any other order :p

MackSnackWrap
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Al Jefferson should no doubt

_KB24_
09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I can pretty much guarantee that BIG AL will not start this year. He will get in but do you really think that the NBA will let a kid who has never been an All-Star to start over Amare Dirk, Gasol, and maybe Duncan?

Hawkeye15
09-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I can pretty much guarantee that BIG AL will not start this year. He will get in but do you really think that the NBA will let a kid who has never been an All-Star to start over Amare Dirk, Gasol, and maybe Duncan?

fans decide the starter.

blastmasta26
09-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I like his chances too. One of the best secrets of the NBA. Anyone think that Okafor will have an all-star worthy season? He is with CP3 now, and he has West on the post with him to draw some attention.....
Okafor has a chance if he is healthy the first half of the season.

Illuminati999
09-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Indeed... consider it booked...

Mavrix
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Isn't Amare going to play center now that Shaq is out?

WITZ
09-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Duncan,Jefferson,& Stoudamire.jefferson got robbed last year he should definately be in there if he puts up similar numbers to last year.

_KB24_
09-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Unless Bynum gets traded for Jefferson, then you would think it was a mockery of the system if Minnesota's Bynum gets voted in before the Laker's Jefferson... Dumb fugging homer...

Read my post you little wanker. Did I say anywhere that I thought Bynum was better than Al or he shouldn't be in? I said Bynum will most likely get in over him. Just take a look at past years ballots and see who is on top...

fans decide the starter.

Once again. Yes they do and you know that all Laker fans will be voting for Bynum and Bynum will most likely recieve more votes than Al.

king4day
09-14-2009, 11:44 PM
If Amar'e doesn't return to Center, I think Bynum and Jefferson have a good chance.
I also think oden will have a good season too. Prob not all star worthy, but up there.

Lakersfan2483
09-14-2009, 11:52 PM
The main guys that will be considered are Al Jefferson, Amare (he will play center), Bynum and maybe Okafor. There is the possibility that Duncan will play center also.

mrblisterdundee
09-14-2009, 11:59 PM
It depends on how a couple of younger centers perform. If Andrew Bynum doesn't play well next season, the Pau Gasol will play more at center and get his nomination at that position. If Robin Lopez doesn't play well, then Amare Stoudemire would play more time at center and get his nomination at that position. But neither of those scenarios will happen. Al Jefferson will win the start.

BillyHoyle35
09-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Yao will probably still get voted in from the large Chinese vote,

But Al Jefferson, Amare and Bynum will probably get the start.

Illuminati999
09-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Read my post you little wanker. Did I say anywhere that I thought Bynum was better than Al or he shouldn't be in? I said Bynum will most likely get in over him. Just take a look at past years ballots and see who is on top...

Once again. Yes they do and you know that all Laker fans will be voting for Bynum and Bynum will most likely recieve more votes than Al.

Um, I didn't say you said Bynum is better than Jefferson. You maybe stupid, but you would have to be a complete moron to say such a thing.

Do you still not get why I posted what I did? :facepalm:

Illuminati999
09-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Yao will probably still get voted in from the large Chinese vote,

But Al Jefferson, Amare and Bynum will probably get the start.

That would be hilarious!! =p

Mavrix
09-15-2009, 02:04 AM
2010 West All Star Line Up

C- Duncan
PF- Nowitzki
SF- Melo
SG- Kobe
PG- Paul

JordansBulls
09-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Isn't Amare going to play center now that Shaq is out?

Or Robin Lopez

DenButsu
09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I absolutely despise the practice of shifting players to different positions for the All-Star game to make room for them. It's bull****.

JordansBulls
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I absolutely despise the practice of shifting players to different positions for the All-Star game to make room for them. It's bull****.

But with the Spurs getting Mcdyess this year, it is fair to say that Duncan really is the center for them now.

Taimla
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Duncan will be forward in vote page.

Amare is a starter and Jefferson MUST be a back-up

topdog
09-15-2009, 02:16 PM
But with the Spurs getting Mcdyess this year, it is fair to say that Duncan really is the center for them now.

Duncan has pretty much always played Center. I remember a reporter asking him a few yrs. back what position he played and he said PF, then the reporter asked him about who he would guard on defense and the answer was the C making him a what? A center.

That said, the Spurs clamored about him being listed as such on last year's ballot so I say keep him as a forward on the ballot.

Bynum, if he stays healthy, likely will be the starter unless Amare is listed as a C. Jefferson/MN just don't have the star power to get enough fan votes, but I'm boycotting the all-star game if he gets another snub.

MagicDojo
09-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Bynum?????

PPG 6.3 RPG 3.70 APG 0.4 If you add it all up he almost has a single double.

Hmm.

topdog
09-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Bynum?????

Hmm.

You gotta remember it's a popularity contest in some respects.

I mean, Yi Jianlian got pretty far in the eastern conference vote based on his chinese fanbase and fans will keep voting AI and McGrady even as they decline. Not to mention the relative markets and the tendency for fans to vote for their own players.

ko8e24
09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
dj mbenga

MagicDojo
09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Duncan has pretty much always played Center. I remember a reporter asking him a few yrs. back what position he played and he said PF, then the reporter asked him about who he would guard on defense and the answer was the C making him a what? A center.

That said, the Spurs clamored about him being listed as such on last year's ballot so I say keep him as a forward on the ballot.

Bynum, if he stays healthy, likely will be the starter unless Amare is listed as a C. Jefferson/MN just don't have the star power to get enough fan votes, but I'm boycotting the all-star game if he gets another snub.

Yeah, well you are probably right about the fan voting. There are alot Of LA fans in LA and bandwagoners around the world.

Geez what about Camby though?

lorenz00
09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
bynum, al jefferson , duncan

DenButsu
09-15-2009, 06:22 PM

No, they'll simply put him wherever he has the best chance of getting voted in. They proved that last year when they changed him on the ballot from center to PF.

magicdouglas
09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Bynum?????

Hmm.

lol!!

Chronz
09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Bynum?????

Hmm.

More like 18-12-2

Indeed... consider it booked...
Can you put barring any injury in really small letters

Hawkeye15
09-15-2009, 08:03 PM
More like 18-12-2

Can you put barring any injury in really small letters

do you really thing Bynum will go for 18-12-2 this year?
I would say closer to 15-10

Corey
09-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I'll take Al Jeff starting. I'm looking for him to be 19/11 by the all-star break.

D-Will4Prez
09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Mehmet Okur should make starter spot if Al Jeff can't do it, he's got more PPG than any other Western Center excluding Al Jeff and he also has the highest 3pt% of any Center in the league.

PBG
09-15-2009, 08:20 PM
marc gasol! yea i said it! the dude is legit tho.

tkshy
09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
No one. The way the NBA is right now it should just ask for 2 guards and 3 forwards. It's an all-star game. How many true centers are there? Think of who are true centers that couldn't play PF...it's a short list.

Chronz
09-15-2009, 08:57 PM
do you really thing Bynum will go for 18-12-2 this year?
I would say closer to 15-10

I was just tossing out all star #'s but if were projecting then lets do it logically. Based on last seasons per minute rates 10rebounds wouldve taken alittle over 36MPG. In 36MPG his scoring rate was easily above 15.

I doubt either of us thinks he will play 36MPG so youve probably come to the same conclusion I have, Bynums rebounding will increase dramatically next year. Personally having seen him his entire career, the rebounding #'s this year dont do him justice. Not in the sense that they arent true, he was really bad at one point in the season just that because hes so young and inconsistent the injury took him out at the moment he was about to hit the uptick in his rebounding game. He wasnt going to have as good of a year before, so we shouldnt expect that return (Unless hes really legit, in which case its over) but hes certainly better than the 20% he corralled on the defensive end this year. And if he stops worrying about his own scoring #'s his stats may actually benefit (ironic how often this happens), Bynum is at his best when he tracks the misses of everyone around him. So his overall rebounding efficiency (his entire offensive efficiency actually) will depend largely on which role he chooses to embrace. My guess is a reb rate around 17%.

Not wanting to do the math, thats like 9.5Reb in 32MPG (Reasonable goal) I think. If he looks to score as often as last year thats easily 16PPG. Well technically its probably a decimal point below that but Im figuring even if he plays the same role he should be slightly better at it.

So 16-9.5-2Ast-2Blks in 32MPG seems to be the most reasonable expectation, but if he embraces his role of a dominant rebounder his best case scenario is

15-11-1.7, may not seem so different but the difference in efficiency is so significant it makes the difference between winning a championship and sweeping your way to a championship.

lakerssssssss
09-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Andrew Bynum

rsweene
09-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Yup! its a toss up who is more popular betwen him and Al Jeff, either one will be voted in by the coaches

BkOriginalOne
09-15-2009, 11:04 PM
DIRK!!!
He's playing Center for Dallas this year.

JordansBulls
09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Andrew Bynum

He could make it, but his numbers need to be a lot better.

Double_R
09-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Al Jefferson will be the starting center, bc he is the only center mentioned besides bynum

heatbb
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Al Jefferson. Is there any other C, who deserves it in the west? Bynum isn't half of what Jefferson is.