PDA

View Full Version : Would A Star Player (1st Option) Defer to a 2nd Option Teammate for Finals MVP?

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Do you think that if (when is what I believe) the Lakers make it back to the finals, a player like Kobe Bryant would defer to Pau Gasol in an NBA Finals, risking his chance of winning NBA Finals MVP again for the betterment of the team but winning his 5th ring. Say they play a tough defense-minded team like Celtics (we know what happen in 08 with kobe shooting like 40%, or when kobe shot like 36% against detroit in 04), or Cavs, if Kobe takes majority of the shots/offense, his field goal percentage may not be higher, and he may have to defer to a 55%+ shooter in Gasol.

Or would LeBron, for just one series, the NBA FInals series, defer to Shaq if he saw that there was a mismatch at the center position (yes, perhaps shaq could still avg 22pts+ 10+ rebs for a 4-7 game stretch). Do you think a player like LeBron James would defer to a teammate for 4-7 games (probably the most important set of games of the season) in the NBA Finals at the risk of not winning NBA Finals MVP, but winning his 1st NBA TItle?

How about a guy like D.Howard, who is young, and the face of the Orlando Magic franchise, but allowing someone like a Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis or Jameer Nelson to go off for 4-7 games in the finals and letting them win FINALS MVP in the hopes of winning his 1st NBA Title?

Also, if a 1st option/franchise player guy defers to a 2nd/3rd option guy and lets him win Finals MVP, does that lower his stature or take a hit to his legacy at all?

I know that Shaq was the best player for the Lakers in 2000 & 2001, but I feel 2002, Kobe was the better player (carried the lakers those first 3 rds as he did in the 1st 3 rds in 2001 when the lakers swept thru those first 3 rounds) and had a chance to be finals MVP in the 4-game sweep against the Nets (sealed the win in game 3 in NJ and had an amazing 36 pts), but he defered to Shaq (since he saw the mismatch against a Tod McCallaugh), resulting in Shaq winning 3rd straight finals mvp, kobe not getting even one finals mvp at that point in his career, but getting his 3rd NBA title at the age of 23.

I also know that even though Duncan was/is franchise player for Spurs, in 2007 Finals in sweep of Cavs, he deferred to Tony Parker, who could not be guarded by anyone on that Cavs roster, and Parker won finals MVP after Duncan won the first 3 finals MVPS in 99,03,05, but Timmy did win his 4th NBA Title.

Your thoughts?????

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Would really appreciate your guys' opinoins :)

Shady66
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
I think its possible.

Ill use the laker example, say the other team has a weak post defender or big man defender in general, but really good perimeter defender(s), then i say yes because Gasol would have the ball much more and would score more like he can

BkOriginalOne
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Tony Parker won the Finals MVP with Ducan on his team.
I think that if Bryant or Lebron deferred to any of their teammates, they would still have a line close to 24 11 5... that's still MVP caliber.

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 05:05 PM
u really think they just give finals mvp to kobe if he shoots like 44% and avg 25 points a game as opposed to pau if he avg 27-28 pg 11-12 rebs shooting 55%+ in a 4-7 games nba finals series?

*Superman*
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
No, that would be stupid. jk, but i doubt it.

Taimla
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
How about a guy like D.Howard, who is young, and the face of the Orlando Magic franchise, but allowing someone like a Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis or Jameer Nelson to go off for 4-7 games in the finals and letting them win FINALS MVP in the hopes of winning his 1st NBA Title?

Well, he did last year...

If Orlando could won the series then MVP would been a Hedo.

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, he did last year...

If Orlando could won the series then MVP would been a Hedo.

naw, Hedo was good the first 3 rounds, inconsistent in the finals, same with lewis. i think they still wouldve given it to d.howard. he still was avg like 16-17 ppg along with a crap load of rebounds and blocks

Taimla
09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
actually they would give the award to the Stan Van Gundy.

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
actually they would give the award to the Stan Van Gundy.

Wow, first its A Hedo, then its The Stan Van Gundy. Are u high?

dtmagnet
09-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Who the hell cares which player wins finals mvp, if you win the championship just enjoy it.

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Who the hell cares which player wins finals mvp, if you win the championship just enjoy it.

thanx for the valuable input :rolleyes:

Raph12
09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes, Tim Duncan often defered to Tony Parker in 2007, but that is only if both 1st and 2nd option are stars.

Taimla
09-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow, first its A Hedo, then its The Stan Van Gundy. Are u high?

Sure i am, Smarta,ss

iggypop123
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
if the guy has to defer it means the team isnt good enough to begin with.

D-Leethal
09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Parker won MVP when Duncan was the centerpiece of the team. That should answer your question

Lakergirl24
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I think he would. Three years ago, Id say no. If Pau had a mis match, I'm sure Kobe would be feeding it to him and let him go to work. Kobe has won every award and accomplished everything possible in the NBA. He wants to win championships. As long as he's winning championships, I dont think he's care if Pau won finals MVP.....It happened a couple years ago in SA. TP won the MVP over Tim Duncan and he's the second option.

JordansBulls
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
It seems like the player that averages the most gets the award. Hence why Worthy in 1988 got it and Parker in 2007 and Maxwell in 1981.

Raph12
09-14-2009, 01:29 AM
It seems like the player that averages the most gets the award. Hence why Worthy in 1988 got it and Parker in 2007 and Maxwell in 1981.

Seems like a good assessment, but can't believe people would choose Hedo over Howard. Without Hedo the Magic lose a big part of the team yes, but Shard can play the same role, if they lose Howard they lose that interior presence that made them the best defense in the league last season. Howard is more valuable than Turk, can't see anyone thinking otherwise.

blazerman
09-14-2009, 02:23 AM
The first option isnt always the best option depending on who's guarding them and the team there playing. Sometimes your 2nd option has the mismatch that can put a team over the top.

Not likely that Lebron will defer to anybody because with the attitude he displayed after Orlando beat them tells me he's option A no matter what plus a first time champion wants the glory along with the championship.

Kobe has won 4 titles and has a few players that he trusts and would most likely do whatever it takes to get the 5th ring, plus he is smart enough to defer if it helps the team plus Phil will make it loud and clear if it helps the team.

Spurs are the type of team that arnt glory hounds and wouldnt think twice about deferring(Duncan, Parker or Ginobili).

Just depends on the player and the team and what matchup is at hand!

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Unfortunatley it wont happen you dont see any Team oriented pupet comertials nowdays.

Unfortunately these kids have learned with Mike, want to be like mike, want to be Mike wnat to be 1 number up mike 24 for 23.

And mike NEVER stepped down and im sure BUlls could have won easier some of th einals if he defected to PIpp.

I wish someone in this new generation wanted to be lile Larry or be like Magic or even like Duncan who woudl do anything necvesary to win.

As a matter of fact i was AFRAID that we would have played the other Puppet team this year becaus ei was CERTANI kobe would go into a lone battle face to gface against lebron forgeing the rest of the team ( kike in 08 and 04) and we woudl have lost i fet relieved when it was orlando who made it since Pau wodl have a tougher match so kobe ocudl reign with no problem

azkarraga
09-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Duncan did it. But i'm not sure either Kobe or Lebron are that kind of players...

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
there arent many players that humble anymore .

Duncan is , Nash is bot are very old now.

Gasol is but its a second option .

Battier or Calderon are that humble but are role players.

koreancabbage
09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
how does a player DEFER the Finals MVP to someone else? ROFL

like its not up to them to decide is it? It whoever performs in the finals and seems to be the anchor of the team in scoring, defense and making the key plays down the stretch.

Hellcrooner
09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
how does a player DEFER the Finals MVP to someone else? ROFL

like its not up to them to decide is it? It whoever performs in the finals and seems to be the anchor of the team in scoring, defense and making the key plays down the stretch.

Mvp is generally given to the max scorer.

If they followed thos principles you said up there.

this years

Max xcorer Kobe

Lead defender Pau ( Chek howard stats in the finals and he was orlandos main man).

Key plays, Derek Fisher had them in two games and pau had tem in other two games specially in the overtime also Odom had some of those.

Who was mvp ? kobe.

So yes the main dude has to Deffer and alow the second banan more shots to make him mvp