PDA

View Full Version : Bryon Russell pissed. He challenges MJ to pickup game

JordansBulls
09-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-jordanrussell091209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Bryon Russell has a message for Michael Jordan: Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be waiting in California – in my basketball shorts.

“I’ll play his *** right now,” Russell told Yahoo! Sports. “This is a call-out for him to come play me. He can come out here in his private jet and come play. He’s got millions of dollars. He can pay for the jet. He can meet me at the Recreation Center in Calabasas.

“We can have Mark Jackson do the commentating. We can have Mitch Richmond do the officiating. We can put it on TV and see if Michael’s still got it.”

Jordan spent much of his enshrinement speech at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame singling out players and coaches who had slighted, criticized or motivated him. Russell merited a special mention.

After Jordan’s first retirement from the NBA, he was playing minor-league baseball and stopped by the Chicago Bulls’ practice facility, where the Utah Jazz were working out. Jordan said Russell, then a rookie with the Jazz, introduced himself and challenged him

“When I did come back in 1995 and we played Utah in ’96, I’m at the center circle and Bryon Russell is standing next to me. I said, ‘You remember the [comments] you made in 1994 about, ‘I think I can guard you, I can shut you down, I would love to play against you? Well, you’re about to get your chance.’ ”

:laugh2:

Russell don't do this man.

Durant is hype
09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
:laugh:

KnicksR4Real
09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
:facepalm::confused:who will win:confused::facepalm:

Wake's Fastball
09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
It's not really as though Russell's going in with anything to lose.

CraigtheSoxFan
09-13-2009, 09:57 AM
:laugh: MJ would dismantle him

Lakergirl24
09-13-2009, 09:58 AM
That would be great to watch for entertainment purposes.

Jumba
09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Russell is still in pretty good shape. MJ, though being the best, would have a challenge.

Ironman5219
09-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm a die hard Jazz fan, but those comments from Russell are pathetic, I'm not sure what agenda he has going but you don't do that to MJ when he just got into the hall of fame. Pretty classless on Russells part.
My money would be on MJ- there is a reason why he is the best of all time

Mr. Fluffi
09-13-2009, 10:08 AM
:laugh:

Those guys are just having fun

rabzouz 96
09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
what is classless about that? its fun and id love to see it.

BALLER71
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Byron Rusell would win. I think he was playing in the NBA two years ago so I think he's in better shape.

Wake's Fastball
09-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm a die hard Jazz fan, but those comments from Russell are pathetic, I'm not sure what agenda he has going but you don't do that to MJ when he just got into the hall of fame. Pretty classless on Russells part.

If MJ's going to call him out in his HOF speech, I don't see how it's classless on Russell's part.

MackSnackWrap
09-13-2009, 10:47 AM
:facepalm:

king4day
09-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Title is misinforming. He just sounds like he's up for the challenge. Jordan playfully called him out and Russell sounds like he's playfulls accepting.

DCB/LAL
09-13-2009, 10:56 AM
:facepalm: Ok to Bryons credit the 96 Finals were Jordans lowest ppg ever in the FINALS his Lowest FG% in the Finals the only problem with that is........he averaged 27.3 ppg but he did only shoot 41.3 fg% but like i said he avereaged 27.3.

RaiderLakersA's
09-13-2009, 10:58 AM

You are taking Russell's comments and feigned rage literally. All basketball players talk sh^%. All in good fun. And I'm betting that when he saw the retired Jordan at their practice facility and told him that he wished that he hadn't retired so that he could shut him down, I bet that's all that was: sh^% talking.

But Jordan, like most fiercely competitive type A's, has an almost psychotic bent to turn any minor slight into motivation. That was the thrust of his induction speech: the reason why he was and is the pinnacle of basketball greatness wasn't just because he was supremely talented, but because he was always motivated to prove that he deserved his greatness. It's the sort of fire that burns in only a limited few.

Jordan mentioned coming back and playing at 50. What would have been hilarious is if two of the NBA's best current stars would have stepped onto stage in their uniforms at the moment. Kobe stage right, carrying Jordan's jersey and uniform, LeBron stage left, carrying Jordan's shoes and game ball, an incredulous scowl on both of their faces: "Bring it on, old man, WE got next." Laughs and pounds all around. :D

King P
09-13-2009, 11:00 AM
If MJ's going to call him out in his HOF speech, I don't see how it's classless on Russell's part.
MJ was just being playful and having fun, it was supposed to be a joke. But I guess Russell took offense to it and now wants to challenge MJ.

Jumba
09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Russell still has a score to settle...

But it's all in play

jetsfan28
09-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Russell isn't pissed. I don't know why the title says that. Read the article, it never says he's pissed, and later, he's clearly joking.

Russell said Jordan’s story was accurate and that he was honored, not offended, by his words.

“It was during my rookie year,” Russell said. “He turned to Karl [Malone] and said, ‘Hey Karl, is that your rookie?’ I really did say that to him. Karl was laughing and [Jordan] was laughing, too. …I guess I motivated him to come back. There had to be other reasons. You know he likes all challenges.

“Out of all the people he came across, he thought about me. I’m happy to be in his Hall of Fame speech.”

Russell said “not a single day passes” in which someone doesn’t ask him about Jordan’s shot over him. While playing for the Denver Nuggets, Russell and then-Nuggets interim coach Michael Cooper got in a heated debate about whether Jordan’s shot over Russell or Julius Erving’s famous acrobatic dunk over Cooper was more embarrassing. Looking back, Russell said he wasn’t humiliated to be part of such a historic play.

“To me, that’s the greatest play in basketball history,” Russell said. “It will stay that way because he will always be the greatest player to play the game. I didn’t mind. But the referees didn’t make the call on the push off.

“It’s long done and gone. It was a call that wasn’t made on a play that was great.”

Russell didn’t watch the Hall of Fame induction ceremony live because he was running errands with his 11-year-old son, Brandon, in Calabasas, Calif., but he did record it. After Jordan mentioned him, Russell received a voice message from his old Long Beach State coach, Seth Greenberg. Several other friends and family members also called and sent him text messages. As soon as Russell got home, he rushed to the television to watch Jordan.

Jordan and Russell were teammates with the Washington Wizards during the 2002-03 season, Jordan’s last in the NBA. Russell said Jordan never brought up the story while they were together and they never played one-on-one, either. Russell, now 38, last played in the NBA during the 2005-06 season, but he works out daily and is eager to “guard [Jordan] again and beat him.”

Russell encouraged Jordan to get his phone number from a mutual friend if he’s up for the challenge. Until then, he wants Jordan to know this:

“I keep my basketball shorts on.”

Pierzynski4Prez
09-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Russell could probably just use come cash, so this would get him some nice attention

Raps18-19 Champ
09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Isn't that is the same guy that let MJ do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra9ni9_C7A

Jay22Redd
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
This is a joke!

Sox Appeal
09-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Byron Rusell would win. I think he was playing in the NBA two years ago so I think he's in better shape.

Agreed.

MJ was just being playful and having fun, it was supposed to be a joke.

I love how people always jump to defend Jordan. It's not like one person, or even a few people defend him, EVERYONE does. You can't say a bad thing about MJ (even if it's true) without a group of people defending him. If Kobe (hypothetically) said anything remotely close to this at his HOF speech, he would be getting DESTROYED by the media, but since it's MJ, nobody gives a ****. Double standard, much?

Chacarron
09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Bryon Rusell Vs.

magichatnumber9
09-13-2009, 12:47 PM
That would be great to watch for entertainment purposes.
yes sir

D Roses Bulls
09-13-2009, 12:48 PM
oh RUSS.......... dont do it to yourself.

da wood
09-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Now why yall trippin coming from someone that went to high school with bryon russle better known as b-russ. Yeah i was pissed when jordan pushed his *** to get that last shot. But hey what do you do. Now if they were to play that would be must see tv.

lorenz00
09-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Lol....

LA_Raiders
09-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Dont do it, both would break their backs...

Storch
09-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Jordan would spread Russel's cheeks for sure.

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
:facepalm: Ok to Bryons credit the 96 Finals were Jordans lowest ppg ever in the FINALS his Lowest FG% in the Finals the only problem with that is........he averaged 27.3 ppg but he did only shoot 41.3 fg% but like i said he avereaged 27.3.

wait, im confused in the 96 finals, i thought bulls played GP,Kemp and the Sonics. They played the Jazz in 97 and 98

FachoinaNYY
09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
you know this is going to happen now... and jordan wont let him score a point, hes just that good.

D-Will4Prez
09-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Kick his *** Russell :D

Jumba
09-13-2009, 06:54 PM
you know this is going to happen now... and jordan wont let him score a point, hes just that good.

Russell is still in shape. I'd worry for Jordan.

I just love from the first post on this was suppose to be a Russell bashing, way to skew what actually said so it makes Russell look like a hot head.

ARMIN12NBA
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Jordan looked pretty out of shape during that HOF speech...Not sure in what kind of shape Bryon Russel is in, but he has played more recently than Jordan. It would definitely be a close match.

Gibby
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
I dont know why so many people are pissed at Russell. Jordan was the one who showed him up. So its not wrong for him to show up another player during a HOF speech but its wrong for Russell to challenge him to a pickup game. Someone said Russell comments are classless if anything Jordan showing up former players, coaches, and GMs is CLASSLESS.

I think Russell has a shot at beating Jordan now. Russell is 7 years younger and he hasnt been retired as long as Jordan.

redhorse
09-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Did anybody read the whole article on yahoo? Russel had no problem with jordan and he gives jordan props in the end.

And honestly what was the big deal with jordans speech? Has anybody here played ball before? All ball players talk trash with one another. It happens in the park as it does in the courts. Trash talking is part of the game. Every great player has done it. Bird , Magic, Mchale , Isiah, ext and the players now with kobe and lebron ext.
It also wasnt like he was disrespecting anybody. His message is pretty clear its the fact that he wanted to thank those people into making him the player he was and that he wouldnt be where he was if not for them.

and for those ppl doubting that jordan cant beat russel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JswfzDKYr04.

KobeBeatJeeesus
09-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Dont count Russel out. The old man factor levels the playing field.

Ace33Bone
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Why Russell why never wake up a god... You should be happy he even mentioned ur name because thats the only time that your name and HOF will be mentioned in the same sentence

Ace33Bone
09-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe Russelll should have challenged him to something with more even playing fields like NBA 2K9

KnicksorBust
09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
:laugh: I LOVE Russell's reaction. It's not like he said "Jordan's old and washed up." He just was like "im ready if you are, let's party." Russell said he loved bein in the speech and I think he's probably just an active guy who would love to get another flashback into the past.

azkarraga
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
they're kidding us

Zefflin
09-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Awesome video. One more year please Micheal...imagine MJ getting a new award...I would love to have MJ as the 6th man...

He could still do it.

sep11ie
09-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Thats not childish or anything...

TragicallyHip
09-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Russell is still in pretty good shape. MJ, though being the best, would have a challenge.

ha haha. You're joking right?

BTW, I doubt Bryon Russell is really pissed.

RaiderDawg
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
It's hArD to ReAd InTeRnEt T0nEs

knickfan4life
09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
when MJ was 31, russell was a rookie, i think jordan may be a step slower... you never know... but jordan was WAY out of line with his speech that night, i mean come on man have some class... but russell... he shouldnt say anything he is trying to get back in the league and is in grreat shape from what ive heard, dont overdo it lol... MJ is MJ at the end of the day and he may go and get back in shape for him.. but MJ... WAY out of line

daleja424
09-14-2009, 01:11 PM
new all-star weekend event? 1-on-1 legends style?

daleja424
09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
sounds kinda slow and ugly.. but maybe it could be...interesting?

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
I met Russell at the playboy mansion this past July, I brought up the push off and he still seemed sore about it. He seemed bothered that they repeatedly show MJ's last shot as a Bull over and over again still to this day.

rocky4104
09-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I met Russell at the playboy mansion this past July, I brought up the push off and he still seemed sore about it. He seemed bothered that they repeatedly show MJ's last shot as a Bull over and over again still to this day.

why would he be? i don't get it. i would be honored lol

he's the best ever so how can that be humiliating?

ttam68
09-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Howd you get into the playboy mansion?

And he should be sore about it, how would you feel with all the ref bs in the league to have to watch a guy get glorified for an offensive foul for 10 yrs

ARMIN12NBA
09-15-2009, 12:11 AM
why would he be? i don't get it. i would be honored lol

he's the best ever so how can that be humiliating?

It sucks to lose in any sort of competition...let alone the biggest game of your life on the biggest stage of your profession, which happens to be playing NBA basketball.

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Howd you get into the playboy mansion?

And he should be sore about it, how would you feel with all the ref bs in the league to have to watch a guy get glorified for an offensive foul for 10 yrs

My buddy knows a guy, who's company is always invited to a celebrity poker party at the mansion. We just have to say we work for that company, pay $500 bucks, and then you get in. I met Derrek Rose, Danny Granger, the Collins twins, and Byron Russell, out of the basketball players. And Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson, Marcellus Wiley, and Warren Moon out of the football players. They all were very nice, except for Russell. He seemed kind of peeved that I brought up that play.

CountSackula
09-15-2009, 05:30 AM
lol yes. :laugh:

CountSackula
09-15-2009, 05:31 AM
new all-star weekend event? 1-on-1 legends style?

Only if they play in short shorts and long tube socks. :eyebrow:

KG2TB
09-15-2009, 12:30 PM
First off, I could have sworn even Russell admitted it wasn't an offensive foul. Second, MJ was not out of line. It was HIS induction...HIS speech...he gave credit and thanks but I hate hearing routine and predictable speeches. What made Jordan great was his will to win and ability to use pretty much anything as motivation. That's what a lot of his speech was about. What motivated him, and to what point it did. He used anything as fuel and even all these years later, he still remembers, and that's what made him great. He's the GOAT and just like many of the other games all time greatest players they can obviously say things that other players cannot. They're not on the same plane as the rest nor should they be. I found his speech humorous and a good listen. It was at times optimistic and uplifting. I thought his ending about never give into fear because often times fear is an illusion was a beautiful way to end it. Bottom line is he gave us an insight into what made him great...finding motivation in trash talk and never letting it go. Magnifying ever word until it drives you so much that you just cannot lose. That's what made him great and gave us decades of incredible memories and incredible plays. Now you guys wanna trash him for that? C'mon...

mr hardney
09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
corrections jordan and the bulls played seattle sonics in the 1996 finals and utah 1n 97,98

mitch91
09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
haha thats super sweet, it would be fun to watch. if jordans the competitor he says he is then they will go at it

DrDEADalready
09-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I would love to see this. B-Russ is the man. We have to be related some how. :)

Missing56&33
09-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Byron please.....Let it go.......PLEASE......Dont embarrass yourself anymore.....MJ gonna come down there and you know the press will follow and he's gonna beat you three straight games and its going to be on sport center. Bad enough your a poster shot to the man last shot of his career in Chicago. Cmon the man has been calling you Bryan Russell for years out of disrespect. Let it go