PDA

View Full Version : Most athletic player ever to play in the NBA...

sp1derm00
09-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Lebron's athleticism is downright amazing. He has tremendous strength and he's extremely quick and agile for his size. His vertical is freaking AMAZING for a guy his size. Body control is extremely easy for him...

But is Lebron even the most athletically gifted player to ever play in the NBA?

A few players that come to mind that could probably rival or surpass Lebron's athleticism are:

MJ
Hakeem
VC
Dwight

Obviously, VC's athleticism mostly stems from his tremendous leaping ability. He is probably one of the best leapers in NBA history, and definitely one of it's top dunkers, if not the best. However, he might not possess the body control and overall speed and agility that Lebron possesses.

Hakeem and Dwight are extremely quick and athletic for their position. Leaner than most Centers are, and to possess the timing needed to be as great shot blockers and rebounders that they are, they have to have some quick reflexes, not to mention their strength. Dwight also has some disgusting hops.

and, finally... MJ, the GOAT. Watch some MJ videos, and you clearly see that MJ's athleticism was far and beyond any other player he played against. No one could even come close to how athletic he was back then. Would today's athletes be able to keep up with MJ's athleticism if he were in his prime and in the NBA today?

bbcmillionaire
09-13-2009, 08:02 AM
vc in his prime was a sight to see

bagwell368
09-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I think you have to have a big man and little man category. The physics are so different. Call it 6' 9.5" and over for the bigs.

Anyone that saw Hakeem against the Celts in the '86 Finals would have to be impressed with Hakeem.

In the small MJ is tough to beat.

Taimla
09-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Its about VC vs MJ

Reversed86Curse
09-13-2009, 08:35 AM
MJ hands down in his prime head and shoulders above anyone else

christexaport
09-13-2009, 08:37 AM
No player has LeBron's speed, jumping ability, strength, handles, and vision. You have some players with 4 of those 5, but he's the first with all 5 in spades. Compare anyone in those categories and he's top 10 in each one.

christexaport
09-13-2009, 08:38 AM
MJ was the greatest, but nowhere near as strong as LBJ! He has Malone/Magic strength.

lakerboy
09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
LBJ probably is the most gifted one.

Ragun
09-13-2009, 09:10 AM
lebron without doubt...vc had hops but lebron has everything.

LanceUpperCut
09-13-2009, 09:17 AM
What about Dwight Howard the guy is a freak athlete

deuces
09-13-2009, 09:19 AM
gerald green

Iman5830
09-13-2009, 09:27 AM
what about Dr. J?

Lakergirl24
09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Michael. He wasnt built big and strong like lebron but it was amazing what he could do so i go with him

Rocco007
09-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I think Lebron is the winner hands down..

There have been more smoother players in motion, MJ and Kobe in particular..

more explosive players around the rim..Vince Carter and DHoward...

But when you look at his size, there really isn't any competition..

If Kobe or MJ had Lebron's physicality, they would defend 4s and 5s in the post..

So in theory, we've never seen this before..

He's quick enough to check PGs and strong enough to handle a Center..

thats amazing..

_Supreme_
09-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Oliver Miller without a doubt.

AutomaticWeezy
09-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Dominique Wilkins

MackSnackWrap
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
In between Vc and Mj, im leaning more towards VC

3RDASYSTEM
09-13-2009, 10:52 AM
It has to be LEBRON/AI/MJ/G.HILL&A.STOUDAMIRE(PRE INJURIES)/SHAQ/....V CARTER was a dunk highlight machine and had unreal hops before injuries but he was nowhere near fast as any of the GUARDS/FORWARDS i just named...AI/SHAQ/LEBRON/STOUDAMIRE/MJ have the most physical ability i have seen pretty much ever plus MJ, especially if you take'em all in their early days,which LEBRON is in his already,but the young SHAQ, AI, STOUDAMIRE and MJ are all right there...gotta give it to LEBRON for overall cuz of his size and his speed...wiith AI/SHAQ right there...to me LEBRON is a combo of AI/SHAQ...all that speed mixed with power/size

heattiltheend94
09-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I like D12 but he doesnt belong there. I would have to go with MJ.

Dee_Edge
09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
What no D-Wade, no Kobe!
MJ had more athleticism then the King.
And the Dream would school Superman if they both were in their prime.
But did you see Anthony Randolph last year and Summer League this year...
Randolph, listed at 6 ft 10 in and 210 pounds, can play a 3,4 & 5...
He'll get more playing time this year... keep an eye out for this guy.

3RDASYSTEM
09-13-2009, 11:41 AM
DWADE is crazy with it,forgot bout him..but KOBE is nowhere near up there with those cats,if this was scoring or playing ball/being in best shape then yes,but not athlete, TMAC is more athletic than KOBE, especially the ORLANDO version

Jay22Redd
09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Its close between VC (in his prime) and Lebron James now. But I would like to see Lebron jump clearly over a 7' footer. That would be the icing on the cake for it all.

BkOriginalOne
09-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Lebron
Vince
MJ

likemystylez
09-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Lebron is a freak- He probably has the best combination of athletic ability/size in the history of the game. Jordan was up there, but Jordans body really wasnt much different than the average 2 gaurd of that time.

Also- athletic could be takin different ways. There are freak athletes who can just do jawdropping things. (That's what people are talking about on here). There are also athletes that are well rounded and had the ability to go pro and do very well in 2 or 3 different sports.

kantarok
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
It is definitely MJ overall
VC has the most hops and he has great quickness but just decent agility
Lebron has hops, quickness, agility and strength but he is stiff.
but MJs hops were comparable to VC and he had amazing quickness and agility, and although he wasnt superman strong he was very strong because he could finish almost any play. On top of this all is that he had some other sort of flexibility in his game that made the acrobatic moves to the rim look easy and dont forget about his huge hands that made everything else easy for him.

The most blessed has to be between MJ and LBJ
but for their positions SG and SF they are literally perfect

ballpd05
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Lebron James hands down. MJ is the best player ever and was a freakish athlete. But Lebron has him as far as athleticism goes. Lebron athletically, not skill wise, can do everything Jordan could and was much bigger.

Lebron is the same size as Karl Malone and maybe the fastest player, definitely the strongest wing player (except maybe Ron Artest), and has the sickest explosiveness and hops.

Sox Appeal
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Easily, LeBron. He's like an athletic combination of Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. I don't see how it can't be him. For those who say Jordan, it's not like he's the first 6'6 uber-athletic guard, but LeBron is 6'8 2 freaking 60, the league from an athletic standpoint has never seen anyone like him.

Sox Appeal
09-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Its close between VC (in his prime) and Lebron James now. But I would like to see Lebron jump clearly over a 7' footer. That would be the icing on the cake for it all.

I doubt that he could. I'd say VC could jumper higher, but you have to take everything into account. Height, Weight, Strength, etc.

jetsfan28
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Depends on what you consider most athletic. For example, Nate Robinson is an incredible athlete, might be faster and might have a better vertical leap than LeBron, but it isn't nearly as impressive at his size. Same with Steve Francis.

ManRam
09-13-2009, 12:41 PM
LeBron head and shoulders above the rest. VC??? No way. He was a high flier, but LeBron is bigger, faster, can probably jump just as high...can do everything better. And I totally disagree with whoever said he is "stiff".

Dwight is the most athletic big men ever. Hakeem, Malone and Nique were all great athletes, but Dwight's figure puts them all to shame.

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-13-2009, 12:45 PM
what about dr j & Dominque or kemp in his prime

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
and spudd webb & nate ..... lil guys who had crazy athleticism..... Will we ever see a guy nates size dunk over d12...... dunk contest or not thats crazy

Raph12
09-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd have to categorize athleticism by height and when deciding take into consideration the makeup of athleticism: strength, speed, agility, coordination, dexterity, stamina, vigor and durability.

Under 6': Allen Iverson (actually 5'10")
6'0" to 6'4": Dwyane Wade
6'5" to 6'9": Lebron James
Over 6'9": Dwight Howard

Wiz kids
09-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Kwame Brown.

No, but for real Oscar Roberson.

Storch
09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Nate Robinson should be in the talks here ...

chicagocubsfan
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Tyrus Thomas

asandhu23
09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
WHERE THE HELL IS WILT CHAMBERLAIN IN THIS CONVERSATION? Seriously how could you not put him in this thread?

deuces
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
jamario moon

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 02:05 PM
It has to be LEBRON/AI/MJ/G.HILL&A.STOUDAMIRE(PRE INJURIES)/SHAQ/....V CARTER was a dunk highlight machine and had unreal hops before injuries but he was nowhere near fast as any of the GUARDS/FORWARDS i just named...AI/SHAQ/LEBRON/STOUDAMIRE/MJ have the most physical ability i have seen pretty much ever plus MJ, especially if you take'em all in their early days,which LEBRON is in his already,but the young SHAQ, AI, STOUDAMIRE and MJ are all right there...gotta give it to LEBRON for overall cuz of his size and his speed...wiith AI/SHAQ right there...to me LEBRON is a combo of AI/SHAQ...all that speed mixed with power/size

so wuts ur answer? pick one, lol

i'd personally go with mark blount :drool:

ko8e24
09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
WHERE THE HELL IS WILT CHAMBERLAIN IN THIS CONVERSATION? Seriously how could you not put him in this thread?

calm down there cowboy

IRUAM #21
09-13-2009, 02:16 PM
so wuts ur answer? pick one, lol

i'd personally go with mark blount :drool:

:clap:

GCOOKIE7
09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Shawn Kemp

shooterone
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I remember reading an article, last year maybe, where Phil Jackson was asked who the best ATHLETE he ever coached was. MJ? nope Pippen? nope Kobe? nope not even close wasn't Shaq either, it was Rodman, with his running, overall speed tenacity on the d and his work ethic. Surprised me too.
In the nba as a whole i'd have to go with Chamberlain

BKdoubleStacker
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
shaq, illgauszakus, ben wallace

smith&wesson
09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
melo and wade are also pretty dam athletic as well.

JordansBulls
09-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Tyrus Thomas

Would Wade switch to #7?

smith&wesson
09-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I remember reading an article, last year maybe, where Phil Jackson was asked who the best ATHLETE he ever coached was. MJ? nope Pippen? nope Kobe? nope not even close wasn't Shaq either, it was Rodman, with his running, overall speed tenacity on the d and his work ethic. Surprised me too.
In the nba as a whole i'd have to go with Chamberlain

i remember that article as well, he out worked every one and was freakishly athletic and strong.

Shady66
09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I would say james white, just because of his unbelievable leaping ability

SirCarlton
09-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Manute Bol

rothbb23
09-13-2009, 03:41 PM
robert "tractor" traylor hands down

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon

chicagocubsfan
09-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Would Wade switch to #7?IDK the NBA site wouldn't let me make a bulls jersey with Wade #3

Gambeezy
09-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I think its gotta be against Dwight and Lebron. They defy physics considering their size and strength.

jetsfan28
09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I'd say you need to go by height

I'd look at it like this:

0-Below 6' - Nate Robinson
6'-6'4" - Steve Francis
6'5"-6'9" - LeBron James
6'10"+ - Dwight Howard

Frezhnitz
09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I think Lebron is the winner hands down..

There have been more smoother players in motion, MJ and Kobe in particular..

more explosive players around the rim..Vince Carter and DHoward...

But when you look at his size, there really isn't any competition..

If Kobe or MJ had Lebron's physicality, they would defend 4s and 5s in the post..

So in theory, we've never seen this before..

He's quick enough to check PGs and strong enough to handle a Center..

thats amazing..

Lebron cant handle a center. Maybe a PF.

ThuglifeJ
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Id have to go with Vince.

LeBron and Dwight are freaks for their size, and strong as hell, but lets face it, the arent as smooth as the rest. They are smooth for sure, but not like Kobe, MJ, McGrady(prime), AI, Vince, Wade, etc.

If we're talking athleticism you half to take into account smoothness. But if we take out that factor I'd go with the Queen and D12.

montazingmvp
09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
is everyone that posts on psd twelve years old or something...

kemp not even in the conversation...? lol

where's nique...

barkley was an athletic freak himself back in the day...such a huge guy with great agility...and huge around, not up...even in his prime he was a little chubby.

DR J? Oscar robertson?

Dwight the most athletic center of all time? um..hell no...

hakeem had dwights strength, and double it....he was miles quicker than dwight, and he could jump out the building just the same...hakeem had the quickness of a pg, thats why he's grabbed so many steals...

man some of the people that post in here are so uninformed on the history of the game.

i mean where's glyde?

seriously carmelo has gotten more mention than clyde the glyde?

there have been hundreds of players more athletic than melo in the past...

ARMIN12NBA
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm going to agree with Phil Jackson when he says that Dennis Rodman is the most athletic player of all time.

notso_SLIMshady
09-13-2009, 07:49 PM
kerry kittles

Ace33Bone
09-14-2009, 11:08 AM
LBJ is the most atheletic because of the combination of size strength and agility... Vince would be second and Kemp should be third... If James White would have stuck around he is a sight to see take off as well

lalfan4life243
09-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Bron bron hands down hes jus a freak for someone to have that speed and strength its jus amazing hes by far the most athletic

xXskywalkerXx
09-14-2009, 12:11 PM
dominique!

shep33
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
lebron easily, i don't know anyone on the planet with that size 6'8 255lbs and can run that fast or jump that high. MJ is the greatest, and i'm a Kobe fan, but c'mon anyone who says it isn't lebron has gotta rethink this. I'm this on the question of athleticism, not just jumping high, but who has the best mix. No doubt Lebron. Only other player back in the day who was close to Lebron's level would have to be Shawn Kemp.