PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah J.R. Rider Wants Back (SERIOUSLY)

brandonwarne52
09-10-2009, 10:45 PM
One of the baddest of bad boys in recent NBA history -- former Timberwolf J.R. Rider -- is negotiating a return to professional basketball in the United States at age 38.

The owner of the first-year North Texas Fresh in the American Basketball Association said this morning that he is "in the process of getting it done" and bringing Rider on board. Owner Jay Bowdy said that Rider has another offer in play from a team overseas, where players can make more money.

"We're waiting on that," said Bowdy, in an interview from Fort Worth. If that other offer falls through, then the 6-foot-5 guard "is coming to us."

Rider's agent, Joe Lee, said this morning that Rider hasn't played organized ball since a 10-game pit stop with the Denver Nuggets in 2001-02. Still, he's "been working out hard" and playing pickup ball with local college guys in suburban Phoenix, where Rider now makes his home, Lee said.

The New Jersey Nets are considering inviting Rider to preseason camp, Lee said, even though that team said it doesn't see Rider competing for a roster spot.

And what about the Timberwolves? "He'd go in a heartbeat," Lee said. "He's humbled now ... he's matured."

Bowdy said he's well aware of Rider's checkered past with the law. "I don't look at what any one of my players has done in the past," he said, adding that he gives them a fresh chance for the future.

Rider had a string of arrests both during and after his career for drug use, assault and other crimes. He also racked up large fines and suspensions during his playing days for offenses that ranged from being tardy to practice to spitting at fans.

Bowdy said he had "a good conversation" with Rider earlier this month, describing him as "very well-mannered."

He said Rider still dreams of returning to the NBA. "If we're a steppingstone, we're fine with that," Bowdy said.

Bowdy said Rider has an Oct. 1 deadline with his team to decide. Camp opens Oct. 3. The team's first-ever game is Nov. 29.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/58492367.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUqPk4DyCc75DiUiD3aPc: _Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

CQSox305
09-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I actually used to like JR Rider.

ko8e24
09-10-2009, 11:28 PM
lol, he should join the grizzlies.

Rider, AI, Mayo, Gay, Randolph ....... who's gonna be the first to shoot 20 shots a game?? lol

ko8e24
09-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I actually used to like JR Rider.

congratulations

horry1ur
09-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Pulling a PJ Brown?

blazerman
09-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Has been, Burnout, Washed up, complete joke take your pick. He couldnt make an NBA team if he tried after being out for 8 yrs and 38yrs old to boot.

If he wants to play again then more power to him but he shouldnt expect to make an NBA roster maybe European ball or something or whatever that ABA league is that that the poster of this thread is talking about.

The Kings wouldnt even take him!

ko8e24
09-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Has been, Burnout, Washed up, complete joke take your pick. He couldnt make an NBA team if he tried after being out for 8 yrs and 38yrs old to boot.

If he wants to play again then more power to him but he shouldnt expect to make an NBA roster maybe European ball or something or whatever that ABA league is that that the poster of this thread is talking about.

The Kings wouldnt even take him!

Actually 7yrs. after being in the ride with the Lakers for the 2001 championship, he played a small portion of the 2001-2002 NBA Season with the Denver Nuggets before being waived.

blazerman
09-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Actually 7yrs. after being in the ride with the Lakers for the 2001 championship, he played a small portion of the 2001-2002 NBA Season with the Denver Nuggets before being waived.

Well close enough, 7yrs is quite along time to be out to attempt a comeback.

3ballbomber
09-11-2009, 02:13 AM
i remember him driving from the left hand side of the basket, spins backwards in a 180 reverse lay up - one of the best and toughest physical move i've ever seen!

King_melo
09-11-2009, 02:23 AM
wonder if he's still athletic? 38...doubt it. lol Tryna pull a Shawn Kemp.

1WorthyLakerFan
09-11-2009, 02:30 AM
If guys like AI, Starburry and Franchise are having troubles finding suitors, what the heck makes anyone think JR (oops) Isaiah Ryder has a shot at anything. This is a who cares article about a washed up has been that never reached his potential due to his own stupidity.

blazerman
09-11-2009, 02:37 AM
If guys like AI, Starburry and Franchise are having troubles finding suitors, what the heck makes anyone think JR (oops) Isaiah Ryder has a shot at anything. This is a who cares article about a washed up has been that never reached his potential due to his own stupidity.

Well said1

Ace33Bone
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I think its a little bit too late for JR to re-enter the league... I mean but with that being said T-Wolves could definitely use him i mean hell they can use anybody at the SG spot