PDA

View Full Version : Referees, NBA bracing for lockout

JordansBulls
09-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/09/10/referees.lockout.ap/index.html)

NBA referees are prepared to be locked out for the start of the season after negotiations with the league on a new contract broke down this week when David Stern ended the latest bargaining session.

No further talks are scheduled -- and when they do resume, it'll be without the commissioner.

The officials were willing to go along with that, McMorris said, because of the economic difficulties the league is facing, but the NBA was still asking for significant reductions in the referees' budget.

"We've laid $2.5 million back on the table," McMorris said. "Some things we have to be able to go back to our group and to say that we collectively bargained in good faith. Our goal is not to take all the hits, we can't do that."

ESPN.com first reported that talks ended after Stern abruptly halted Tuesday's session at league headquarters. Stern said the officials reneged on something previously agreed upon, but McMorris was critical of the way the commissioner handled things.

"The problem is, David Stern does not negotiate. He tells you what's going to happen and then when you don't do it, and do something differently, he whines and acts like a child," McMorris said. "That's not how you negotiate. Not with adults."

Stern said the league would be well represented even without him, but didn't leave much hope that a resolution would come soon.

"On the basis of the last series of proposals, it doesn't appear that there's any point at this time to further negotiations, but obviously it still remains our goal to start this season with our existing referees working," Stern said.

AllTheWay
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
So whos gonna referee then?

_KB24_
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
If there is a lockout, I'm going to stick Joey Crawford up Sterns assz....

LakerzFan1971
09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/09/10/referees.lockout.ap/index.html)

....heck...up to half of 'em are crooks anyhow...so I say just dump 'em and get a whole new batch. They collectively can't make a decent call for a rookie...everyone can see the hypocrisy there, and in calling charging fouls, technicals, protecting some while ruining other's careers ...so just dump 'em.
Either call them all the same, or talk a walk. :speechless::speechless::speechless:

Raps18-19 Champ
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Wow.

Refs are getting a little greedy aren't they?

That's like what happened during the summer here in Toronto. The garbage men wanted to get paid just as much as police officers. ****ing jackasses.

Rox07
09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
stern is a jew... literally

:)

clutchski
09-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow.

Refs are getting a little greedy aren't they?

That's like what happened during the summer here in Toronto. The garbage men wanted to get paid just as much as police officers. ****ing jackasses.

If it's like other cities, they don't even touch actual garbage haha, they just leave it unless it's packed perfectly in the black/green bags. But..they're not even touching the crap inside, it's bs.

Back to the lockout, would the interim referees being brought in really be significantly poorer than what is in the league currently? Like Joey Crawford?

carlo
09-15-2009, 07:36 PM
lol at the refs possibly going on strike. I can't believe someone is getting paid to make that decision. :confused:

TragicallyHip
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
I'll ref for 100K a year.

PBG
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
So whos gonna referee then?

d-league refs.

PBG
09-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I'll ref for 100K a year.

id do it for like 60k a year, sheeeeiiiit. these dudes have it good and they still wanna *****.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Hell I'd do it for 40K.

You get paid to fly around the world, be on TV everyday and be near celebrities.

AI4MVP
09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
**** id ref for ****ing minimum wage as long as the league pys for room and board and all the crap. r u kidding me? its one of the coolest jobs being an nba ref. not saying its easy, but awsome

Kyben36
09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Ill ref for $9 an hour, I need a job.

PBG
09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I need a job.

i feel ya. michigan is getting BAD. been looking for a job for about a year now.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-15-2009, 08:25 PM
At least we are slowly on our way to recovery.

lakerboy
09-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Referees shouldn't have salary. Dont they make enough money from game fixing already?

AllTheWay
09-16-2009, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't ref cuz I wouldn't want to deal with all of us :laugh:

DenButsu
09-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Referees reject latest NBA offer, prepare counter

NBA referees voted 57-0 Wednesday night to reject a new labor agreement offer, saying they planned to present a counterproposal to the league Thursday.

The vote came about an hour before midnight CT at a meeting of the referees outside Chicago. Their labor pact expired Sept. 1, and the prospect of a lockout looms if a new agreement is not in place prior to the start of exhibition games Oct. 1.

"We are still meeting, we've been here since 4 p.m. and they [the referees] have decided to lock themselves in. They're not leaving, and they've empowered us to get on the phone with the league in the morning to try to make a deal and work something out," lead negotiator Lamell McMorris said.

McMorris said the league's new proposal was presented earlier Wednesday. The referees deliberated its merits for about 6 hours before the offer was unanimously voted down. McMorris said the NBA had made some movement from its prior offer, but he would not be specific.

Labor talks had broken down acrimoniously eight days earlier when NBA commissioner David Stern accused the union of...

[...]espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4480049)

#1Mavericksfan
09-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Referees shouldn't have salary. Dont they make enough money from game fixing already?

Hold on....I know your not talking about the refs fixing games when your a Lakers fan are you?.....you and the rest of the Lakers fans should be the last people to bash the refs it anything.