PDA

View Full Version : Our leader has arrived.

youngkeeMS
09-10-2009, 04:56 PM
IMO AI is the leader the Grizzlies have needed on the court for some time now. I'm ready to see his winning ways come out for a team that needs him in more ways than one. Late in games we'll have someone who can draw doubles and dish it. Let's see some high flying on the open court. Our team has a whole new attitude now. I'm ready to see it unfold.:clap:

ivylleague1'
09-10-2009, 05:12 PM
You are right !!!! The High flyers will fly and the league will notice !!!

blazerman
09-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Some people think AI will hinder Mayo's development, I dont agree I think AI helps him take his game to another level and he gives the Grizzlies a proven third scorer.

Got him cheap too.

NiTEFuRY
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
IMO AI is the leader the Grizzlies have needed on the court for some time now. I'm ready to see his winning ways come out for a team that needs him in more ways than one.

Leader he is not, scorer he is. Careful with what you wish for, his winning past is for sure behind him - you may see a different side when he starts to lose and not getting the 25+ shots he feels he deserves

Some people think AI will hinder Mayo's development, I dont agree I think AI helps him take his game to another level

AI will ABSOLUTELY take the shots away from Mayo he need to get his rhythm. You will see the most "growth stunted" in Conley - your dish first point guard who is just beginning to blossom.

Please know this is not me being loyal to the pistons and being an AI hater, I know last year had alot to do with our GM making that trade and grabbing him as a salary dump. What he did internally cant be stated enough, he jumped in the middle and exploded. Your 3rd year coach is not too much different than what was our first year coach. I do love Gasol/Thabeet/Gay they will bail AI out of many situations.

lizard5781
09-10-2009, 07:05 PM
AI is a ball hog and could be a locker room killer, however ..................that being said..........he is still ALAN IVERSON and he has something to prove after his awful stint in Detroit. I think Memphis fans will be pleased with his leadership and experience ...only problem is that you also have Zach Randolph there who is another locker room killer....not good. Hey, at least it wont be a boring year for the Griz.

futureman
09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
A.I. and Zbo on the same team is a recipe for DISASTER. I don't expect any improvement at all.

youngkeeMS
09-10-2009, 07:22 PM
When AI got traded to Denver did you guys think he would co-exist with Melo? He did but it wasn't working out like it should have. The guy can score and thats it. I'm sure he know we don't need him to be everything we got like the 76ers. We need him to be the guy that everything flows through, but he doesn't have to shoot that's the best thing. Mayo wanted Memphis to pursue AI. So if its anybody that is willing to take the loss it should be him, HE ASKED FOR IT! Zack is a good clean up guy so thats all he has to do is wait for the ball to come to him. Thabeet is going to be great on defense in half court sets just like in college.

ivylleague1'
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
When AI got traded to Denver did you guys think he would co-exist with Melo? He did but it wasn't working out like it should have. The guy can score and thats it. I'm sure he know we don't need him to be everything we got like the 76ers. We need him to be the guy that everything flows through, but he doesn't have to shoot that's the best thing. Mayo wanted Memphis to pursue AI. So if its anybody that is willing to take the loss it should be him, HE ASKED FOR IT! Zack is a good clean up guy so thats all he has to do is wait for the ball to come to him. Thabeet is going to be great on defense in half court sets just like in college.

Mayo made a great choice !!! He will be an allstar !!! AI will take him there, just watch and see. They will have a training camp together and that is all it takes.

Iverson is a perrenial top 10 in scoring (3rd in 2008), assists, and steals and no other player in the NBA except Lebron has accomplished that. He is the best.

D Blue987
09-10-2009, 09:07 PM
AI will do ok for you guys in Memphis. The biggest issue I think for your team is that you guys have a couple of bad influences in the locker room. I think realistically you guys can win enough games to make the playoffs which should be in all seriousness, considered progress for you guys. good move imo.

youngkeeMS
09-11-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm gonna get me a #3 jersey Wednesday. What color should I get? I know he's got the matching shoes too. Always does. LOL

iHop
09-11-2009, 08:27 PM
AI is a ball hog and could be a locker room killer, however ..................that being said..........he is still ALAN IVERSON and he has something to prove after his awful stint in Detroit. I think Memphis fans will be pleased with his leadership and experience ...only problem is that you also have Zach Randolph there who is another locker room killer....not good. Hey, at least it wont be a boring year for the Griz.

hey 2 negatives equal a positive :eyebrow:

mzgrizz
09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
It's all good.........right now.......so we're just going to enjoy it!

jbone808
09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
who cares what happened in denver and detroit. denver had a lucky yr (imo they wont make it back to the western confernce finals) and as far as detroit?? too many negatives to state. ai has signed with a young team in memphis. let it be people. just sit back and watch. btw even if ai helps lead this team to a playoff run, THERE WILL STILL BE ALL YOU HATERS OUT THERE hating on the man. so just shut up and let ai and the grizz playin speak for itself when the season starts..

wileyisTOFU
09-12-2009, 10:15 AM
holy crap there is a grizzlies forum...he is saying things like "its personal" ,not exactly a team concept. But **** it, its a one year rental. what's the worst that could happen.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Leader he is not, scorer he is. Careful with what you wish for, his winning past is for sure behind him - you may see a different side when he starts to lose and not getting the 25+ shots he feels he deserves

AI isn't a leader, he was captain of the Nuggets, and 76ers. His winning ways are behind him?

People seem to forget the last season he played fully healthy he averaged 25 and 7, and helped the Denver Nuggets to there best record in franchise history, and you will see a different side of Allen if they start to lose, he takes losing personal and takes it upon himself to get his team the Victory. take your hate elsewhere!

AI will ABSOLUTELY take the shots away from Mayo he need to get his rhythm. You will see the most "growth stunted" in Conley - your dish first point guard who is just beginning to blossom.

Please know this is not me being loyal to the pistons and being an AI hater, I know last year had alot to do with our GM making that trade and grabbing him as a salary dump. What he did internally cant be stated enough, he jumped in the middle and exploded. Your 3rd year coach is not too much different than what was our first year coach. I do love Gasol/Thabeet/Gay they will bail AI out of many situations.

AI will not stunt there growth but help them develop as better all around players such as he did himself later in his career, If you dig for Nugget's articles you'll see JR Smith thanking AI for his development as a basketball player, as well as Melo.

Detroit has a horrible coach and didn't know how utilize AI's strengths.

And if you check the records. when AI was injured at the begening of the season, Detroit was losing ball games, and when they hit theyre stride when AI came back from injury, late Dec. early Jan. Detorot won 8 of 9 games.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Where is all this locker-room killer thing coming from???

When has AI ever had locker-room problems??!?! besides in Detroit?

smith&wesson
09-12-2009, 02:48 PM
ATTENTION ALL GRIZZLIE FANS

Theyre are alot of haters out there... reporters, journalists, the media, fans, every one has an opinion. Dont get it twisted for a second, Iverson will make your team better, he is a hof'er. He is mature and older now. He understands what he needs to do. will he want to come of the bench NO. Should he come off the bench ?? NO!! he is a star, he needs mins to be effective. he will be a 20 plus scorer on your team. gay and mayo will still be effecitve. Iverson has always needed a post player to play with, there wont be any problems between him and z bo. they are two vets starving to prove doubters wrong. Allen Iverson is a great player!! and he will mak memphis better over night.

how much better is yet to be seen, memphis is a better team with him.

never mind the haters, they loved him and now that the media lables him bad all the brainless beings follow and also lable him. iverson is a hof'er he can make any team better as long as they dont ask him to come off the bench. thats like asking garnet to come off the bench. its just stupid.

NiTEFuRY
09-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Hater here, just read another article (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/13/iverson-comes-to-town-with-swagger/)

First he said, "...And that's all I'm here to do, is to help this team win basketball games..." which is the right thing, and the attitude we saw last season prior to switching teams.

Then if you read more he says, "If I come here, I want to win." - this to me is the real AI.

My Game, My Team, My Win.

At what expense will you give him the rock?
How many victories will you sacrifice?
Whose lack of development?

mzgrizz
09-13-2009, 11:34 PM
AI will not stunt there growth but help them develop as better all around players such as he did himself later in his career, If you dig for Nugget's articles you'll see JR Smith thanking AI for his development as a basketball player, as well as Melo.

Detroit has a horrible coach and didn't know how utilize AI's strengths.

And if you check the records. when AI was injured at the begening of the season, Detroit was losing ball games, and when they hit theyre stride when AI came back from injury, late Dec. early Jan. Detorot won 8 of 9 games.

AMEN.........thanks for telling it like it is.
And you guys have a HELL of a chance to get back to the WCF Finals......don't let the haters bug ya!

ivylleague1'
09-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Hater here, just read another article (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/13/iverson-comes-to-town-with-swagger/)

First he said, "...And that's all I'm here to do, is to help this team win basketball games..." which is the right thing, and the attitude we saw last season prior to switching teams.

Then if you read more he says, "If I come here, I want to win." - this to me is the real AI.

My Game, My Team, My Win.

At what expense will you give him the rock?
How many victories will you sacrifice?
Whose lack of development?

"If I come here, I want to win" is the correct thing to say and do. He will play to win. That is the right attitude. He is the best !!! Go Grizzlies !!!!

mzgrizz
09-13-2009, 11:37 PM
ATTENTION ALL GRIZZLIE FANS

Theyre are alot of haters out there... reporters, journalists, the media, fans, every one has an opinion. Dont get it twisted for a second, Iverson will make your team better, he is a hof'er. He is mature and older now. He understands what he needs to do. will he want to come of the bench NO. Should he come off the bench ?? NO!! he is a star, he needs mins to be effective. he will be a 20 plus scorer on your team. gay and mayo will still be effecitve. Iverson has always needed a post player to play with, there wont be any problems between him and z bo. they are two vets starving to prove doubters wrong. Allen Iverson is a great player!! and he will mak memphis better over night.

how much better is yet to be seen, memphis is a better team with him.

never mind the haters, they loved him and now that the media lables him bad all the brainless beings follow and also lable him. iverson is a hof'er he can make any team better as long as they dont ask him to come off the bench. thats like asking garnet to come off the bench. its just stupid.

Thanks to you,too, S&W
I figure he'll battle MC for the starter spot, and Hollins will have to go with the best one......MC can learn from AI and AI can be just......AI.
THAT is enough for now.

NiTEFuRY
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
"If I come here, I want to win" is the correct thing to say and do. He will play to win. That is the right attitude.

Right, this is a one year guy (try and remember that). HE wants the franchise to be all about him... try and think past this year, where the odds are against you to even even win 35 games let alone make the playoffs. FYI, Utah was last years 8 seed with 48 wins.

No questions asked, having this guy play 40-45 min a game taking 20-25 shots per game will take away from someone. Someone who is young (because 90% of your team is) and needs to grow.

Is that something your absolutely embracing? :facepalm: I suppose if it is, we just think about basketball differently.

There is nothing wrong with DOING WHAT THE TEAM NEEDS ME TO DO TO WIN. But thats not what he is saying. He wants to wear that "C," he wants the shots. It does not matter who is around and where they will be next year - or in the future.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
AMEN.........thanks for telling it like it is.
And you guys have a HELL of a chance to get back to the WCF Finals......don't let the haters bug ya!

I'm tryin not to man... but just cuz AI had 1 off year, everyone seems to forget how good he really is. he's gonna bang out this year. WATCH!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-14-2009, 02:53 PM
I just can't wait to watch AI play ball again!

ccrider9
09-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Either you have some real serious haters or a lot of people just don't know jack about b-ball. Dumb coach and Management in Detriot. Why no one ever say anything about RIP not wanting to come off the bench or how sheed gave up on the team. Man I had a flat comming to work today, that Damm AI.

NiTEFuRY
09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Either you have some real serious haters or a lot of people just don't know jack about b-ball. Dumb coach and Management in Detriot. Why no one ever say anything about RIP not wanting to come off the bench or how sheed gave up on the team. Man I had a flat comming to work today, that Damm AI.

First, excellent use of the English language - clearly you have demonstrated your mastery. I have admitted that I am a hater, so lets get that out of the way. Yea, I suppose I "dont know jack about b-ball." but I have seen a championship here in Detroit, I would say that championship was built the right way (team ball). Dumb coach? Please submit your resume here because I suppose you are more qualified or have professional basketball experience? :mad:

Larry Brown is the only coach qualified to HANDLE Sir Allen Iverson. With regards to RIP this is my captain. I do not want him coming off the bench, that makes sense. The team was better, and had better chemistry with him in. BUT this is NOT a Detroit forum. Love the sarcasm about your flat, maybe with your mentality you should blame your car manufacturer and the people who made it (see coach and management comment).

All I have to say is good luck in 2010 after the season and he is gone and or you only win 30 games - and you have other unhappy players.

PapelbonLester
09-15-2009, 07:30 PM
I just can't wait to watch AI play ball again!

your telling me....AI's been my favorite player since i was 10. Almost 10 years now!!! Lets do it AI!!! Im slowly starting to love the Thunder and Grizz

eso
09-16-2009, 02:53 AM
AI still puts arses in seats and sells s#!t loads of Jerseys, arses in seats and selling Jerseys make money and money makes owner happy and owner then has more money to spend, so its a win for you guys... and you got him for nothing so if he gets cut for some stupid reason so be it..
on the OJ note i think he can learn a lot from the answer hopefully he is smart enough to only retain the good stuff...

ccrider9
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
First, excellent use of the English language - clearly you have demonstrated your mastery. I have admitted that I am a hater, so lets get that out of the way. Yea, I suppose I "dont know jack about b-ball." but I have seen a championship here in Detroit, I would say that championship was built the right way (team ball). Dumb coach? Please submit your resume here because I suppose you are more qualified or have professional basketball experience? :mad:

Larry Brown is the only coach qualified to HANDLE Sir Allen Iverson. With regards to RIP this is my captain. I do not want him coming off the bench, that makes sense. The team was better, and had better chemistry with him in. BUT this is NOT a Detroit forum. Love the sarcasm about your flat, maybe with your mentality you should blame your car manufacturer and the people who made it (see coach and management comment).

All I have to say is good luck in 2010 after the season and he is gone and or you only win 30 games - and you have other unhappy players.
Thanks for the compliment.......Now lets be honest, what happen in Detroit would have happen if you would have traded Billups for Jesues. The players had already made up there minds before he ever arrived. Lets just hope you are or will be as out spoken when things go great with AI and the Grizz. Hope to see you back on here giving props. As far as the qualification, maybe but some things you just don't say or shouldn't. I see we play D the first game, what a way to start. See you in Oct.:D

the unknown
09-16-2009, 12:45 PM
just think if anyone is hindered is going to be Gasol.. Mayo will still get his shots..

conley
mayo
gay
zbo
thabeet

AI
Gasol
whoever else you got

it looks like a great Combo of Offense, Defense, shooting and athletism..

you were one of the worst offensive teams in the NBA last year... zbo is a 20-10 guy on any team and AI can still average 20 ppg in 28 mins off the bench

ivylleague1'
09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
You are funny !!!! AI off the bench ?? AI will not come off the bench. He is here to start !!!! He is the best in the NBA, and young enough to lead the Grizz to championship. Please stop playing on Grizz fans intelligence.

mzgrizz
09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
IMO it will be
AI }
Mayo } the starting 5
Gay }
Randolph }
Gasol }

_Supreme_
09-20-2009, 12:30 PM
IMO it will be
AI }
Mayo } the starting 5
Gay }
Randolph }
Gasol }

If that is true (and I think you could be right), then he would indeed stunt the growth of Mike Conley. Conley did very good last year only to have his starting spot and a lot of minutes taken away by a one year rental. Does that makes sense? It's the main reason Pat Riley wasn't interested in Iverson: because it would slow down Mario Chalmers' development. Apparently Chalmers is in the HEAT's future plans and Conley isn't in the Grizz's?

So to be honest I am actually surprised that a team in the position Memphis is in currently, slightly past the first stage of rebuilding, would add someone like Allen Iverson. The only reason I could think of is that Memphis management actually thinks this team can compete in the West with him on board. Well I'm sorry, but I don't think you can at the moment, and you don't honestly think Iverson signed up for a teacher's role, right? It doesn't make sense.

On the other hand there is nothing wrong with adding this particular player for only $3 million as long as he doesn't get unhappy with his minutes and starts childish hissy fits about it. It's just that it's the wrong team at the wrong time for that team, Imo. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'm not sure what your management is doing in general though. Adding Zach Randolph and his salary after giving Pau Gasol away almost for free is absolutely stupifying and a big embarrassment to the NBA. I'm still convinced that the Lakers bought Gasol in a secret money-under-the-table side deal, but whether that is true or not this (Randolph) move really can't be sold to anyone with a straight face either way.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the players on your team well. However I do not agree with the moves that were made. If you are a young rebuilding team you should give your up and coming players as much opportunity and minutes as possible, and add veterans later to round out the team, elevating the team to the next level. Right now that is at least a year too early Imo.

mzgrizz
09-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, to be honest, I think most of the Grizz fans will not be happy if they don't see AI logging a mountain if minutes whether or not he's a starter.Hopefully the BEST player at #1 or #2 will be the starter and we'll have plenty of different looks to throw at the opponents. I for one am encouraged and hopeful that this will all work out after training camp opens. They have moved them away to Birmingham for camp, so that the new additions to the team won't be such a media distraction.

Raph12
09-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I think this can go one of three ways (ranked in order from best possible situation to worst):

1. AI comes off the bench as a combo guard, for anywhere between 30-39mpg, puts up 20+ppg, 6+apg and 2+spg, makes Memphis a playoff contention team (40+wins) and wins the 2010 Sixth Man award. This will land him a contract with a Top 5 contender team (LA, San Antonio, Boston, Cleveland, Orlando [least likely]) in 2010.

2. AI starts at PG, again plays anywhere between 30-39mpg, puts up 25+ppg, 7+apg and 2+spg, puts on a show in Memphis and the Grizz wins 30-40 games. This will land him a bigger contract in 2010 with a borderline team (8th-12th in the East/West) in 2010.

3. AI starts the season on the bench, complains about touches and minutes, is moved to the starting lineup, the team still doesn't improve and he is traded midseason or held onto and let go at the end of the season. This will land him into Europe or early retirement in 2010.

ivylleague1'
09-25-2009, 11:26 AM
I think this can go one of three ways (ranked in order from best possible situation to worst):

1. AI comes off the bench as a combo guard, for anywhere between 30-39mpg, puts up 20+ppg, 6+apg and 2+spg, makes Memphis a playoff contention team (40+wins) and wins the 2010 Sixth Man award. This will land him a contract with a Top 5 contender team (LA, San Antonio, Boston, Cleveland, Orlando [least likely]) in 2010.

2. AI starts at PG, again plays anywhere between 30-39mpg, puts up 25+ppg, 7+apg and 2+spg, puts on a show in Memphis and the Grizz wins 30-40 games. This will land him a bigger contract in 2010 with a borderline team (8th-12th in the East/West) in 2010.

3. AI starts the season on the bench, complains about touches and minutes, is moved to the starting lineup, the team still doesn't improve and he is traded midseason or held onto and let go at the end of the season. This will land him into Europe or early retirement in 2010.

You are funny !!! You wander into the Grizzlies forum to write about Iverson coming off the bench. I think Kobe should come off the bench. He was a 13th pick, while AI was the #1 pick, the best. then and still the best !!! Big East defensive player of the year 2ce, Rookie of the year, 4 times NBA champ, 3 times NBA steals champ, holds the NBA record in steals in a playoof game, Perennial top 10 in scoring, assists, and steals, MVP, 10 times Allstar, and allstar MVP 2ce. He is clearly better than anyone in the NBA except maybe Shaq. Winning Championships is a function of a teams effort and not an individual's.

Iverson will not come off the bench, because he is the best and has never been a bench player in his career, always a starter. He will start for Memphis and by God's power will take them to the playoffs. None of the scenarios you stated will happen, obviously you came to post here to wish the Grizz bad luck. Go Grizzlies !!!!

Raph12
10-06-2009, 01:01 AM
You are funny !!! You wander into the Grizzlies forum to write about Iverson coming off the bench. I think Kobe should come off the bench. He was a 13th pick, while AI was the #1 pick, the best. then and still the best !!! Big East defensive player of the year 2ce, Rookie of the year, 4 times NBA champ, 3 times NBA steals champ, holds the NBA record in steals in a playoof game, Perennial top 10 in scoring, assists, and steals, MVP, 10 times Allstar, and allstar MVP 2ce. He is clearly better than anyone in the NBA except maybe Shaq. Winning Championships is a function of a teams effort and not an individual's.

Iverson will not come off the bench, because he is the best and has never been a bench player in his career, always a starter. He will start for Memphis and by God's power will take them to the playoffs. None of the scenarios you stated will happen, obviously you came to post here to wish the Grizz bad luck. Go Grizzlies !!!!

Dude, the first situation is one thing that could lead him to getting the ring he's wanted for so long. No championship team would want to take AI, unless he's willing to come off the bench. Now if you don't care for your player's legacy, that's your problem. I loved AI back in the day and still do, but he isn't the player he was in 2001 and in some ways that's a good thing, but in no way is he a Top 5 player in the league any longer. I wouldn't wish any team bad luck, in fact I list AI as my Sixth Man winner in all my posts, if any Grizz fan thinks what this guy does, let me clear this up; I want what is best for the team and AI, not one or the other and wish both the Memphis Grizzlies and Allen Iverson the best of luck this season.

The fact is, if AI doesn't come off the bench, he can say goodbye to an oppurtunity at a title run with a legitimate contender (Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Celts or Cavs) PERIOD

MTone88
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm from Philly and I am pulling for the Grizzlies this year (except I can't stand Zach Randolph, hopefully he changes my opinion).

For anyone who mentioned that AI will hinder Rudy Gay's development, I doubt it. In fact, I think it'll be great watching the two together. I'll hate how much it'll remind me of Iverson to Iguodala :( but GO GRIZZ, good young team here, hopefully a playoff spot in store for you guys.