PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to have 5 game 1st Round Series again?

JordansBulls
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Would you like to have 5 game 1st Round Series again?

The NBA changed the format of the 1st round series in 2003 to 7 game series, but I felt that the 5 game series were much better and gave an even greater chance of upsets happening.

Would you like to have a 5 game 1st Round Series again? Or do you prefer the 7 Game 1st Round Series?

rsweene
09-10-2009, 04:16 PM
7 game opener, the playoffs are too short already, what just under 2 months! Haha, thats half of footballs regular season

MackSnackWrap
09-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I like 7 game plaoff series, id prefer 7 game series over 5 game series anyday

JordansBulls
09-10-2009, 04:54 PM
7 game opener, the playoffs are too short already, what just under 2 months! Haha, thats half of footballs regular season

I guess it boils down to if you prefer seeing upsets or not.

GCOOKIE7
09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
7 games obviously. Would you rather see an upset or more basketball?

More Basketball.

Boston Faithful
09-10-2009, 05:03 PM
5 games. more exciting.

blazerman
09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I like the 5 game first rd alot better, it was more fun to watch and kept the players a little fresher for later rounds.

Lakersfan2483
09-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I would prefer the NBA go back to the original format of a best of 5, first round series. A 7 game series is entirely too long for the first round.

Raph12
09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
The longer the better, not only shows which team is truly better, but shows which has more endurance, heart and determination.

JordansBulls
09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
7 games obviously. Would you rather see an upset or more basketball?

More Basketball.

I like upsets. Not a whole lot of them, but at least a few of them.

Cash
09-10-2009, 06:10 PM
After the latest Boston/Chicago series, who would honestly want 5 games?

Jeff559
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
7 games for sure

BlondeBomber41
09-10-2009, 09:20 PM
The NBA changed the format of the 1st round series in 2003 to 7 game series, but I felt that the 5 game series were much better and gave an even greater chance of upsets happening.

This is one of the main reasons why they went away from 5 game series. They wanted the better team to win, and 7 games increases that chance.

GCOOKIE7
09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I like upsets. Not a whole lot of them, but at least a few of them.

Seriously tho the playoffs were dope this past year, except for the finals.

ThuglifeJ
09-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I like 5 game series for 1st round better.

But after watching the Bulls Celtics first round last year....that was insane..

bahama0811
09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Hell no, definitely a 7-game series.

CQSox305
09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
5 games is more exciting, and its what I grew up with.

lorenz00
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
more basketball please.. lol that means 7 game series

ko8e24
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
This is one of the main reasons why they went away from 5 game series. They wanted the better team to win, and 7 games increases that chance.

:rolleyes:

stop being naive, it was all about the $$$$$

2 extra games at the most, per series, and with 8 playoffs matchups in the 1st round, that is 16 EXTRA GAMES of the NBA Playoffs

king4day
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm still waiting for baseball to go 7 in round one. 5 game series sucks cuz u can have a crappy staff with only two good pitchers but get out of the first round.
In basketball u can steal one on the road and anything can happen after that. If it went back to 5 gamer, I think the team with the better record should have at least 3 homes games, but if they have 15 more wins than the team they play in the playoffs, then they should get 4 home games. It's not right to reward a crappy team with a reasonable chance to win a series they don't belong in. This mainly applies to the 1/8 seed.

Gambeezy
09-11-2009, 12:11 AM
The longer the better, not only shows which team is truly better, but shows which has more endurance, heart and determination.

My thoughts exactly. ;)

ManRam
09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
The NBA playoffs are so freaking long. I'm all for a 5 game first round.

lakerssssssss
09-11-2009, 02:48 AM
yes

DenButsu
09-11-2009, 03:11 AM
7 because it means more games are played so there's more basketball to watch, and I also just don't like the concept of structuring different rounds differently - 7 all the way through is more balanced and consistent.

But here are three more fantastic reasons to keep it at 7 games:

Chicago/Boston 2009
Atlanta/Boston 2008
Dallas/Golden State 2007

5 game series just don't have the potential for being as epically dramatic, imho.

Ace33Bone
09-11-2009, 08:13 AM
7 Games = more basketball... I will never complain about that

JordansBulls
09-11-2009, 08:23 AM
7 because it means more games are played so there's more basketball to watch, and I also just don't like the concept of structuring different rounds differently - 7 all the way through is more balanced and consistent.

Chicago/Boston 2009
Atlanta/Boston 2008
Dallas/Golden State 2007

5 game series just don't have the potential for being as epically dramatic, imho.

Some series are fun for 7 games, but most are better for 5 games.

#1Mavericksfan
09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the 7 game's better

Tom81
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
7 game

DenButsu
09-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Some series are fun for 7 games, but most are better for 5 games.

How do you figure?

Giaps
09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I like the 5 game series better. Better chance for upsets.

BkOriginalOne
09-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Bulls Celtics 2009
End of Discussion.

king4day
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
The NBA playoffs are so freaking long. I'm all for a 5 game first round.

They could cut it down so much if they had games every other day. It's a shame what the NBA has become in that regard.

CELTICS4LYFE
09-11-2009, 12:03 PM
first round make it a quick 5....teams will b fresher in the finals=more exciting

xDjEpYOnx
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Chicago/Boston 2009
Atlanta/Boston 2008
Dallas/Golden State 2007

After the latest Boston/Chicago series, who would honestly want 5 games?

Your first two examples don't really help, they split the first 4 games, and boston won game 5 in both series. If we had never gone to the 7 game format, I think that game 5 would've still been pretty dramatic, regardless of the winner. And GSW/Mavs would've just ended at game 4, with the crazy upset we did get in 6 games, which I think most expected after seeing the Mavs being outrun the whole series. The extra games you saw may have been great, but you can't miss what doesn't happen, can you? You could always say "damn i wish they got 1 more game, maybe something could've changed" but you gotta have winner one or the other, doesn't really matter to me, in the first round anyways, if its 5 games or 7

:rolleyes:

stop being naive, it was all about the $$$$$

2 extra games at the most, per series, and with 8 playoffs matchups in the 1st round, that is 16 EXTRA GAMES of the NBA Playoffs

This is the only 'real' reason to change the playoff format, I enjoy the upsets. I think the first round is more balanced in the 5-game format to put pressure on both teams, top 4 seeds can't take any game lightly because if they lose one at home, they can be done by game 4, and lower 4 seeds get a fighting chance to move on and gain experience in the playoffs to better their team and organization.

I don't know if many remember, analysts were ripping the Lakers cuz they thought the Lakers were dogging it and just going thru the motions against the Rockets and Nuggets at times, I remember Kenny Smith specifically saying during the Rockets series (to paraphrase) "The Lakers don't deserve the title with that type of effort". I kinda agree, if you're the better team, just go out there and win, don't drag this **** out for $$$ or anything.

I'm still waiting for baseball to go 7 in round one. 5 game series sucks cuz u can have a crappy staff with only two good pitchers but get out of the first round.
In basketball u can steal one on the road and anything can happen after that. If it went back to 5 gamer, I think the team with the better record should have at least 3 homes games, but if they have 15 more wins than the team they play in the playoffs, then they should get 4 home games. It's not right to reward a crappy team with a reasonable chance to win a series they don't belong in. This mainly applies to the 1/8 seed.

But you reward the top 4 seeds with home court advantage with 7 games, because the threat of losing home court in a 7 game series isn't as bad in a 5 game series. You get game 5 to try to take home court back and then just win out your home games, which when i watch those series, i just go thru the motions cuz i know the better team should already win, but they're relaxing or just waiting for the next home game. This is more prevalent in the first round though, the later rounds should be 7 games cuz you want to see the better team win in the end, not luck. That's what Boston did in 08 IMO, I thought they went thru the motions in the first round, and brought it out sick against the rest, if they played like that in the first round, ATL would've been done in 4 or 5.

The extra 2 games they you may get aren't always gonna be dramatic or exciting, you can get crap like MIA vs ATL last year, wouldn't everyone liked to have seen that end at 5 games? :D

They could cut it down so much if they had games every other day. It's a shame what the NBA has become in that regard.

If they don't go back to 5 games, this would be the only thing they should do to shorten the playoffs, because they skip day(s) on end in the 1st and 2nd round, when series end soon because of a sweep or drag out to a game 7. I think they could get it all wrapped up by mid to late may with the Finals ending in the last week of May or first week of June. Then again, I already struggle to deal with the length of the offseason now, maybe i don't want the playoffs to shorten :bang:

RaiderLakersA's
09-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Hell frakkin' yes to only a 5-game first round series.

Niro
09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
well imagine the warriors against mavs in 5 rounds :( 7 rounds were way better and more exciting...you still see upsets with 7 and they are more special