PDA

View Full Version : Replace Nowitzki with Kobe in 05-06, how would the Mavs fare against the Heat?

TannerOwnsDevin
09-10-2009, 02:10 AM
In the NBA Finals? Mind you this is also the same year Kobe went Bat **** crazy with his 35 ppg avg in the regular season.

D Roses Bulls
09-10-2009, 02:24 AM
i hate threads like these. only lakers fans are gonna say they would have won, but put it this way. last year, kobe lost with gasol and odom on his team and all and lost to the celtics. all sudden your going to beat the heat who has shaq, wade, walker, j williams, payton, posey, and so on? come on you gotta be kidding me.

wade was hot, thats it. kobe didnt win in 2008 with the whip he had and hes going to beat this team? NO! get your head out of the gutter

Lone Maverick
09-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Questionable calls by the refs, and interior defense were Dallas' problems not Dirk. My biggest question is if it was Kobe on that team instead of Dirk then who is the PF? Keith Van Horn? Good luck winning a title with a front court of KVH and Dampier/Diop

I'd say Heat would still be champs.

ChiSox219
09-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Heat in 4

Bleeds Blue
09-10-2009, 02:27 AM
the 06 heat team was the worse team to win a championship this decade. cant say for sure but they would have had a much better chance with kobe

madiaz3
09-10-2009, 02:29 AM
i hate threads like these. only lakers fans are gonna say they would have won, but put it this way. last year, kobe lost with gasol and odom on his team and all and lost to the celtics. all sudden your going to beat the heat who has shaq, wade, walker, j williams, payton, posey, and so on? come on you gotta be kidding me.

wade was hot, thats it. kobe didnt win in 2008 with the whip he had and hes going to beat this team? NO! get your head out of the gutter

celts team was considerably better than that heat team...

horry1ur
09-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Truthfully would have been a better question if it was say Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan instead of Kobe.
I mean makes sence you replace a PF with a PF

Mavrix
09-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Truthfully would have been a better question if it was say Pau Gasol or Tim Duncan instead of Kobe.
I mean makes sence you replace a PF with a PF

Pau Gasol? Are we talking about the same guy that got swept in the first round 3 years in a row as the main man in Memphis?

Lone Maverick
09-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Pau Gasol? Are we talking about the same guy that got swept in the first round 3 years in a row as the main man in Memphis?

You gotta admit it would be a better question because at least they're both PFs.

horry1ur
09-10-2009, 02:57 AM

No im talking about the one that held Dwight Howard to 48.8% shooting in the Finals after D12 averaged something over 62.2% FG in the playoffs.

Mavrix
09-10-2009, 03:00 AM
No im talking about the one that held Dwight Howard to 48.8% shooting in the Finals after D12 averaged something over 62.2% FG in the playoffs.
Last time I checked Dwight played center, so Gasol would have to be playing center to hold him to those numbers if he's guarding him the whole time.

I thought you were comparing PF to PF?

sp1derm00
09-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Last time I checked Dwight played center, so Gasol would have to be playing center to hold him to those numbers if he's guarding him the whole time.

No, offensively, Pau could very well play PF but check Dwight while playing defense.

When Kobe checked Rondo during the 2008 playoffs, was he a PG then? Definitely not.

When Kobe checked Lebron during both of the games the Lakers played the Cavs, did Kobe become a SF? Nope.

GoatMilk
09-10-2009, 03:16 AM

he guarded Dwight majority of the time

Bynum kept getting in foul trouble, remember?

ko8e24
09-10-2009, 03:25 AM
In the NBA Finals? Mind you this is also the same year Kobe went Bat **** crazy with his 35 ppg avg in the regular season.

I c we takin lessons from JB, lol.

mavs wouldve won title. kobe vs wade and kobe vs shaq would've been intense

LakersSaintsLSU
09-10-2009, 04:18 AM

r u crazy?....man u got alotta kobe hate in u:facepalm:.....but who dosent

LakersSaintsLSU
09-10-2009, 04:21 AM

yea the same guy who basically played by himself u dummy.....why do u mav fans keep bringing that up? put dirk on that team and see if he dosent get his *** swept also

sp1derm00
09-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Call me crazy buttttttt...

Howard
Terry
Dampier
Harris

is very comparable to:

Pau
Odom
Radman
Fish

as far as PF's go, the Mavs had Powell then, and it seems like he did alright on their squad that year. Given the minutes, I'm sure he'd be able to give them quality minutes.

Terry/Harris
Kobe
Howard
Powell
Dampier

vs.

Fish
Kobe
Radman
Odom
Pau

PennyMy#1
09-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Those threads are so ... ugh.

lexworld2009
09-10-2009, 06:05 AM

wow that is harsh, I don't remember KG getting out of the 1st round as the main man in minny I mean the 1 time was when spree and cassel made him look like the mvp and the 2nd time was last year with boston, so I mean lets be real unless it Duncan all other pf in the league wasn't doing much

JordansBulls
09-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Mavs would lose probably quicker. First off they don't make the finals. It's not to say that Kobe isn't better than Dirk because he is better than Dirk, but who the hell would be the PF and C on that team? That team would have absolutely zero scoring at those positions.

#1Mavericksfan
09-10-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't think the Mavs would have made it past the Spurs with Kobe...Dirk is the Spur Killer and the Spurs never really found an answer for him.

pebloemer
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
You are making a big assumption in this thread that the Mavs and Heat would still be in the finals together if Kobe and Dirk were swapped.

Ignoring the failed logic that the thread is based upon, I'll give my thoughts.

Dirk had a stellar season that year and was a candidate for MVP. He led his team to a better record and shot very impressive percentages.

Kobe Bryant scored 35.4 ppg over the course of the season which is stellar, but he was unable to elevate his team in the same way Dirk did. Of course the supporting casts certainly has a thing or two to do with that.

I can not say with certainty who the better player over the course of the season was and I can not say with certainty who would be more influential on the Mavericks over the course of the season. Without Dirk, the PF position looks pretty bad that year.

So then matchups... Do the Mavericks with Kobe match up better than with Dirk? Well, it is certain that Kobe is a very good defender and that the Mavericks could not defend Wade. Kobe may have done a better job than anyone the Mavs had, but it is impossible to know how much difference that would make on Wade's game. Kobe could have easily gotten sucked into a one-on-one battle with Wade and taken his own team out of the game. Kobe in 05/06 didn't have the team he had this year, but he wasn't the team player he was this year either. So it is hard to grasp how he would have responded. Maybe it would be a better matchup for the Mavs.

But if you are going to talk about matchups, than you would need to consider all the matchups that led to the finals to determine if the Mavs would have even gotten there. How do they match up with the Spurs, and Suns without Dirk?

The amount a "stretches of logic" "if's" and "unknowns" to answer a question like this is certainly too much to give any reasonable answer.

Ace33Bone
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Even with Dirk having an excellent year that year I feel that Kobe would have been the difference maker in that series even though this was during the time period where Kobe was having his selfish moments he still was the best closer in the game at the time and he would have put a nail in the Heat when he had the chance and the Mavs would have swept the Heat 4-0

Ace33Bone
09-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Not to mention he would have slowed D Wade down a tremedous amount

king4day
09-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I voted both because the option was there. This way everyone wins.

But seriously, if we're just talking the finals, then I'll give it to Dallas because, as Ace above me said, the defense on Wade would have led to a 4 or 5 game series. He wouldn't have been able to go off.

PHX2daDEATH
09-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Mavs wouldn't of made it past Phoenix with Kobe...no way. Dirk KILLED us in that series...i think he had a 50 point game right? yeah he murdered us.. (Thank You, BORIS) We had No Amare and no Raja Bell. Throw in the fact that was the same playoff year that Raja Clotheslined Bryant. But you never know with the dynamics of putting Kobe in a different situation.. to me he didn't learn the team concept until Phil came back the second time and it even took a year after that.. He's over here blasting Bynum in a parking lot, crying that he wants a trade, threatening to go the CLIPPERS. One thing you Laker fans don't have is a playoff series win over the SUNS. Then David Stern had a little idea on how to boost his ratings so he sent Garnett and Allen to Boston then GAVE Gasol to the Lakers, (Seriously how was Lamar Odom or Andrew Bynum NOT involved in that trade?) and what do you know they meet in the Finals the same year and the biggest rivalry in sports was reborn

JordansBulls
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I voted both because the option was there. This way everyone wins.

But seriously, if we're just talking the finals, then I'll give it to Dallas because, as Ace above me said, the defense on Wade would have led to a 4 or 5 game series. He wouldn't have been able to go off.

How do they beat San Antonio with no scoring in the post?

koberulesall
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
he would have won it are you kidding me?...although to this day i say the mavs won that series anyway they got robbed by the refs BIG TIME!