PDA

View Full Version : More scrutiny with the Lakers or Knicks for a superstar (which environment is harder)

JordansBulls
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Where do superstar players get more scrutiny for their play? Is it with the Lakers or the Knicks? ((simply put, which environment is harder to play in))

29$JerZ
09-09-2009, 12:07 PM
NY simply because no matter how the team is (Good/Bad) the expectations are playoff's and championship.

LA is the same but I feel the NY crowd, and especially the media makes it bigger.

ChiSox219
09-09-2009, 12:37 PM
It's NY by a wide margin. Really there is no reason for those fans to expect championships because they aren't like the Lakers or Celtics, the Knicks never win.

I can understand why MLB players play in NY because they receive significantly higher comopensation. In the NBA you get pretty much equal pay anywhere you go, so why would you want to play in NY? That franchise has been a disaster for a while now, they remind of the 2000 Bulls, should be interesting to see if they sign even one big name or have to settle for Michael Redd.

29$JerZ
09-09-2009, 12:40 PM
It's NY by a wide margin. Really there is no reason for those fans to expect championships because they aren't like the Lakers or Celtics, the Knicks never win.

I can understand why MLB players play in NY because they receive significantly higher comopensation. In the NBA you get pretty much equal pay anywhere you go, so why would you want to play in NY? That franchise has been a disaster for a while now, they remind of the 2000 Bulls, should be interesting to see if they sign even one big name or have to settle for Michael Redd.

Isiah Thomas and Layden would ruin any team.

Redd won't be a UFA in 2010 unless he opts out of 18 million. He won't be doing that since he'll never get a contract like that again so he won't be a Knick :)

We are set to have 1 Max and 1 good player, 2011 we have enough for a 2nd Max so we aren't too bad off.

Storch
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
NY as a city is mean :laugh2:

ChiSox219
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Isiah Thomas and Layden would ruin any team.

Redd won't be a UFA in 2010 unless he opts out of 18 million. He won't be doing that since he'll never get a contract like that again so he won't be a Knick :)

We are set to have 1 Max and 1 good player, 2011 we have enough for a 2nd Max so we aren't too bad off.

Michael Redd was meant to symbolize a non-top tier FA. There's no guarantee but I think Knicks fans are in from some serious disappointment next summer. Best case scenario would be Amare + Joe Johnson (mostly b/c of D'antoni) which is really great but not Lebron, Bosh, or Wade. But that's best case...

29$JerZ
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Michael Redd was meant to symbolize a non-top tier FA. There's no guarantee but I think Knicks fans are in from some serious disappointment next summer. Best case scenario would be Amare + Joe Johnson (mostly b/c of D'antoni) which is really great but not Lebron, Bosh, or Wade. But that's best case...

Knicks have been in CAP hell for this entire decade. We've had Jerome James,Zach Randolph, Jamal Crawford's, etc contracts. So any one worth the money is a breath of fresh air.

Imo Amar'e is the likely future Knick because we offer everything he wants, money, exposure, possible number 1 option.

Joe Johnson is the 2nd likely player to come here because he and D'Antoni are close and would fit perfect here in NY. I still don't know if he wants to stay in Atlanta.

LeBron because of his mis messages appears to be a perfect fit here but we have 2 SF's that are 20 and 21 and have a lot of potential to be great. You make room for LeBron if he comes here but I rather go SG/PForCenter for 2010.

javaid64
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
LeBron because of his mis messages appears to be a perfect fit here but we have 2 SF's that are 20 and 21 and have a lot of potential to be great. You make room for LeBron if he comes here but I rather go SG/PForCenter for 2010.

Woah buddy, are you saying youd rather have a some other sg/pf/c rather than lebron, danillo and chandler are good but they will never compare to the king.

D Roses Bulls
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
i say philly, i mean they booed mike schmits son in a charity game for god sacks, booed donovan mcnabb when he was drafted, threw snow balls during at santa clause during an eagles game, and got on iverson pretty hard.

WSU Tony
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Hell, you can't even be the best player in the nation and get drafted (not by the Knicks) #1 overall without them booing you. ;) I've never understood that mentality. "If we can't have you, we're going to boo you."

javaid64
09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Hell, you can't even be the best player in the nation and get drafted (not by the Knicks) #1 overall without them booing you. ;) I've never understood that mentality. "If we can't have you, we're going to boo you."

we don't boo the players but we boo the management who couldn't get the #1 player although it is not their fault. and why not boo, the draft is in NY and thier are quite a bit of knicks fans here so why not boo. like if the draft was in LA all the LA fans would boo when they don't get the players they drafted.

D Roses Bulls
09-09-2009, 01:42 PM

well to be fair they werent booing curry, they were booing the warriors for drafting curry if thats what your talking about. hell i would boo to if the player i wanted was picked one spot before i was up.

WSU Tony
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
we don't boo the players but we boo the management who couldn't get the #1 player although it is not their fault. and why not boo, the draft is in NY and thier are quite a bit of knicks fans here so why not boo. like if the draft was in LA all the LA fans would boo when they don't get the players they drafted.

I don't think you make much sense.

"We don't boo".... "Why not boo?" -I don't get it.
It's your managements job to get the #1 pick every year? "Why not boo them" "But it's not their fault." -I don't get it.
Why would LA fans not be able to get the players they drafted? -I don't get it.

well to be fair they werent booing curry, they were booing the warriors for drafting curry if thats what your talking about. hell i would boo to if the player i wanted was picked one spot before i was up.

They booed Griffin..... They always boo the #1....#2....#3... until it's their turn. (lol)

NYC would be harder to play in.

ko8e24
09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Lakers, and its not even close.

Knicks history has had great alll-stars to superstars. Lakers history have had superstars to mega mega mega superstars. obviously, no knicks player have felt the need to play any respectable brand of basketball the last 8 yrs, so Lakers by default.

ChiSox219
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Lakers, and its not even close.

Knicks history has had great alll-stars to superstars. Lakers history have had superstars to mega mega mega superstars. obviously, no knicks player have felt the need to play any respectable brand of basketball the last 8 yrs, so Lakers by default.

:rolleyes:

LakePackYank
09-09-2009, 03:20 PM
knicks my a small hair. Mostly only because of the media and huge hype there.

One of my reasons why lakers would be because of many legends that played there, all those championships, and now it's up to another supterstar to continue that legacy? IMO on the court, i would be a lot more pressured on the lakers then on the knicks.

JMKnick33
09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
knicks my a small hair. Mostly only because of the media and huge hype there.

One of my reasons why lakers would be because of many legends that played there, all those championships, and now it's up to another supterstar to continue that legacy? IMO on the court, i would be a lot more pressured on the lakers then on the knicks.

you nailed it. for those who are saying Lakers by a wide margin are not fully understanding the question I think.

it would be hard/difficult to play in L.A. only because of all the superstars and legends that played before them.

but in New York, no matter who you are, you can be booed. we haven't even seen Jordan Hill in a Knicks uniform and already they were booing him. danilo gallinari as well, simply cuz they've never seen him play or even heard of him. hell, Ewing, our franchise player was being booed in his later Knick days. and when he couldn't deliver, the booing brought him down even harder and faster, and that's exactly why it's harder to play in N.Y. than in L.A. the fans are tough, mean, and ruthless.

when Kobe couldn't bring the Lakers to the playoffs in 2005, i don't recall him getting any boos..

mrmike101
09-09-2009, 04:45 PM
you nailed it. for those who are saying Lakers by a wide margin are not fully understanding the question I think.

it would be hard/difficult to play in L.A. only because of all the superstars and legends that played before them.

but in New York, no matter who you are, you can be booed. we haven't even seen Jordan Hill in a Knicks uniform and already they were booing him. danilo gallinari as well, simply cuz they've never seen him play or even heard of him. hell, Ewing, our franchise player was being booed in his later Knick days. and when he couldn't deliver, the booing brought him down even harder and faster, and that's exactly why it's harder to play in N.Y. than in L.A. the fans are tough, mean, and ruthless.

when Kobe couldn't bring the Lakers to the playoffs in 2005, i don't recall him getting any boos..

Lakers are the center of the world to fans like that. He understands, it's just his duty to be a homer. There is no logic or honesty to a laker fan only twisted laker perspective that ALWAYS contradicts it's self in every argument. First it's the lakers have the best team than it's kobe is the whole team. They must win every argument and that is it, they are the blackholes of the entire sports universe worse than all the patriot and yankee fans combined just walk away. :(

Ripper Gein
09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Lakers are the center of the world to fans like that. He understands, it's just his duty to be a homer. There is no logic or honesty to a laker fan only twisted laker perspective that ALWAYS contradicts it's self in every argument. First it's the lakers have the best team than it's kobe is the whole team. They must win every argument and that is it, they are the blackholes of the entire sports universe worse than all the patriot and yankee fans combined just walk away. :(

YAY!!! were #1:D

championships
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Bitter?:pity:

iHop
09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Knicks because they have'nt had one is so long the next superstar there will be crushed by the pressure.

MackSnackWrap
09-09-2009, 08:52 PM
New York is a tough city to play in, LA enviornments hard to but im saying New York is tougher

RaiderLakersA's
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Lakers.

Phil Jackson has admitted to feeling the intense pressure of winning and he's won the championship how many times?

Magic Johnson has admitted to feeling the pressure and he's one of the greatest ever... and has won the championship how many times?

Shaq, Kobe, The Logo, and many other great, GREAT players can attest to the pressure of winning in LA. Don't let the pixie dust of Hollywood celebrity fool you. It's as intense as all get out in LA.

RaiderLakersA's
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Knicks because they have'nt had one is so long the next superstar there will be crushed by the pressure.

And yet real pressure creates diamonds out of dirt. If you ask me, it's not tough enough in NY.

roshan3ai
09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
New York

NYtilIdie
09-09-2009, 10:35 PM
NY cause no matter how much we suck we always expect Playoffs and nothing less.

We expect our players to play their hearts each and every night and when they don't we let them know about it. I remember one season (during Isiah days of course) the Knicks were so horrible fans booed every Knick player during the introductions.

Sometimes I feel Knick players take playing in the Mecca of Basketball each and every night for granted cause they'll take nights and get stomped it shouldn't be like that. But when they do you best believe they'll hear about it.

I think we boo our picks because we want them to know were not just satisfied that your on our team we want you to know we have high expectations for you and you have to fulfill those expectations before you earn our respect. Our picks have to prove to us why we drafted them.

bkmikeyy
09-09-2009, 10:37 PM
new york is the toughest city in the world in all aspects, its demanding and very intense. However its all worth it because if you are at the top in the greatest city in the world, you are pretty much on top of the world...just ask derek jeter today what it means to be successful in this city. LA is a lot more laid back.

Draco
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
NY cause no matter how much we suck we always expect Playoffs and nothing less.

Exactly.. it's NY because their fans have unrealistic expectations. ;)

Teeboy1487
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
I have to go with New York on this one. New York is a tough place to play in. Especially with all the media and all the people there. You are under a huge microscope in New York as a superstar. I'm not saying you have to do everything right in New York, but it seems they have zero tolerance for careless mistakes. You always have to carefully watch what you say and do. I say LA is second by a small margin.

NYtilIdie
09-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Exactly.. it's NY because their fans have unrealistic expectations. ;)

I wouldn't say the Knicks making the playoffs are unrealistic now if I said winning a championship then I would understand.

At the All-Star break we were 2 and a half or 3 GB from the 8th spot, but after the All-Star break our PG started getting hurt and lost motivation, we lost Galinari for the rest of the season. Everything just fell apart the 2nd half of the season.

JMKnick33
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't say the Knicks making the playoffs are unrealistic now if I said winning a championship then I would understand.

At the All-Star break we were 2 and a half or 3 GB from the 8th spot, but after the All-Star break our PG started getting hurt and lost motivation, we lost Galinari for the rest of the season. Everything just fell apart the 2nd half of the season.

Let's not turn this into another Knicks will/wont make the playoffs thread. We have our reasons to believe, and they have their reasons to doubt, so be it.

Anyway, New York is tougher. I remember when we were in the playoffs (wow, so long ago), the front page of NYPost was ALWAYS a Knicks story. Even Daily News as well. This was after each and every game they played. Sometimes even when they hadn't even played yet! And since it's NYPost, you'd expect it to be some encouraging homer-like words like, "Knicks look to come back and avoid sweep by Nets". Instead, I think I remember it being something like, "Knicks getting beat down and are no match for favored Nets". Maybe not that harsh, but something along those lines. That's New York for ya..

rsweene
09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
NY has the largest market, BUT, lake show history implores present and future teams to win championships EVERY YEAR. NY doesnt have the same BBall history as LA, or more specifically the Lakers. NY residents think theyre teams, i.e. yankees, rangers, giants, and knickerbockers should win the whole thing every year (teams omitted I excluded on purpose).

phoenix_bladen
09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
well one of the reasons why the Knicks were bad throughout the 2000 is because from 2001-2008 during the layden and thomas era they did not tank or rebuild the team ........ they kept trying to patch the knicks up on the fly and traded players and added salary in hopes of getting into the playoffs and compete which explains why they never really gotten too many high picks ( they were also traded away to try to rebuild mind you )

it wasn't really until Donnie Walsh came on the boat that they officially started rebuilding (lowering the cap, focusing on player development etc)

so although it really looks like the knicks sucked for 10 years they really only started building this team back 2 years ago

so give it some time and when 2010 hits the knicks will be back up on the top

bet my words on it!

DreamShaker
09-10-2009, 02:39 AM
I would say the Lakers have had more megastars (Baylor, Kobe, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, Mikan, Magic) in their history than the Knicks (Frazier, Reed, King, Ewing), but it still seems like the Knicks fans demand more...not saying the L.A. fans do not demand a great deal...but New York fans in general seem more outspoken (no offense to anyone here, especially with all the Lakers fan I respect on this board)...

horry1ur
09-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Id say LA and the reason being if you play for the Lakers you are excepted to win and nothing less.
And with the Lakers History being what it is I say LA environment is harder.