PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Grizz have Iverson, are they a playoff team and rank their Starting 5

ProdigyI
09-09-2009, 02:37 AM
People seem to knock on Iverson just because of his time with the Pistons, and it's just ********. Iverson obviously didnt fit well in Detroit's system, and that was the big part of him only averaging 17.4 IMO. People seem to write him off just because of that, yet just the season before, he averaged 26.4 PPG. Cmon now.

Allen Iverson
O.J Mayo
Rudy Gay
Marc Gasol
Hasheem Thabeet

Bench:
Conley
Arthur
Randolph

Figure Iverson, Mayo, and Gay all have the chance to average 20+ PPG while Gasol and Thabeet can pull down 9+ Rebounds a piece and protect the paint. Iverson IMO will answer all of his critics who wrote him off just because of his time in Detroit.

Gnac76
09-09-2009, 02:51 AM
The west is so stacked its hard to think that, that team would have a chance at making the playoffs but I do think that team will make other teams earn their win

DenButsu
09-09-2009, 03:00 AM
I really don't think so.

If you think about the standings from last season:

z-LA Lakers
y-Denver
y-San Antonio
x-Portland
x-Houston
x-Dallas
x-New Orleans
x-Utah
Phoenix
Golden State
Minnesota
Memphis
Oklahoma City
LA Clippers
Sacramento

Who falls out of the playoff picture who made the cut? And can Memphis even improve fast enough to keep pace with teams that will likely be improving such as the Thunder and Wolves?

Spurred1
09-09-2009, 03:03 AM
No-they'll be better than last year, but I don't see them making it.

LakersIn5
09-09-2009, 03:13 AM
you forgot Zach Randolph!!!!!!!!!!! so its

Thabeet - Randolph - Gay - Mayo - Iverson

4 scoring beasts but 1 has to really decrease his scoring just like what is going to happen to the spurs 4

randolph will get 18 ppg, gay 16, mayo 18, ai 23 for 75 ppg.

i say they would be fighting for a playoff spot and get the 8th seed, 7th seed atbest. utah will miss the playoffs if they trade boozer. but if they dont then grizz misses the playoffs but only like 2 weeks before playoffs

Fireworld
09-09-2009, 03:41 AM
I like them.

soundjunkies2
09-09-2009, 03:45 AM
If they were in the East they would be but not the West. It is way to stacked.

ko8e24
09-09-2009, 04:47 AM
grizzlies in the west-->no playoffs
grizzlies in the east-->7th-8th seed easily

PBG
09-09-2009, 05:14 AM
:puke:iverson

kombayn
09-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Probable 2008-09 Grizzlies Roster:
PG - Allen Iverson/Mike Conley/Marcus Williams
SG - O.J. Mayo/Marko Jaric
SF - Rudy Gay/Sam Young/DeMarre Carroll
PF - Zach Randolph/Darrell Arthur/Trey Glider
C - Marc Gasol/Haseem Thabeet/Hamed Haddadi

I think that's a solid starting rotation. They're still a lottery team though. 30 wins would be a success I think for this team.

ldawg
09-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Huston will not make it this year so i say 8 or 7 seed

Corey
09-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Huston will not make it this year so i say 8 or 7 seed

The Thunder are right there too, though...Along with the Wolves. It's not like the Griz are the only team trying to get better. I think their third among the other teams I just mentioned in terms of getting better.

blackjack_119
09-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Five guys who all like to score in isolation, don't like to play defense and don't play team basketball. Yup... that team will be amazing. They would be lucky to win 32 games.

MackSnackWrap
09-09-2009, 07:07 AM
better than last year, but not a playoiff team

Daze9900
09-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Sicc team for NBA live or 2k. In real life not so much. They're gonna need time to gel. It's going to deter the young guys when they don't get their shots. Iverson vs Zach vs Mayo pick your fight. Gay I think would just under perform.

ldawg
09-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Five guys who all like to score in isolation, don't like to play defense and don't play team basketball. Yup... that team will be amazing. They would be lucky to win 32 games.

sound like the old suns to me

Byronicle
09-09-2009, 10:11 AM
For a team to be good enough in the playoffs you need an inside and outside game and i really don't think Marc and Thabeet have good enough offence to be a threat.

Just look at every team that did well in the playoffs last year and those that did not, the teams that went all the way had talented big men for their inside game along with talented wingers for the outside game

Lakers had Kobe for outside shooting and Gasol for inside post moves
Orlando had Hedo and Lewis draining 3s and Dwight posterizing other bigs

This all being said they may squeeze into 8th but will not go very far

BkOriginalOne
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Allen Iveron and mayo would combine to be the worst defensive backcourt in the league.
Thabeet could lead the NBA in Blocks though, afterall, mayo and AI will be getting beat 50% of the time down the floor.
Also, if AI were to go to memphis, he would HAVE to come off the bench.
No sense,stunting conley's development for 1 year when their bench is so thin.

a3rodynamic
09-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I just can't see who's getting so much worse from last season that the Grizz will be anywhere higher than 9th - 10th. If only they played in the East...

Sure the Suns could drop back a few, same for the Warriors, but I don't see how adding another small guard who can't play D is the answer to their prayers.

Not only that but the Thunder seem poised to make a playoff run and Timberwolves are getting their best player back, plus a few possible upgrade from the draft (who could end up being busts).

Also I don't see Thabeet stepping in and grabbing 9 boards a game, much less clogging the paint unless he puts on 40 lbs.

Ni55anpat
09-09-2009, 10:32 AM
:puke:iverson

Hater:facepalm:

Ace33Bone
09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I dont think this team will make it to the playoffs in the West and I also think that they would be on the outside looking in in the east as well... I think people are really under estimating the Eastern Conference this year

JordansBulls
09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/09/09/iverson.memphis/index.html

GoatMilk
09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
OJ
Rudy
Z-Bo
AI

yikes. I wonder if they know they only have 1 ball?

macc
09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
As somone stated before, its a team with alot of players who like to run Iso. I'm curious to see if it works out for them. I hope they do well. I think they have alot of good players on their team and would be fun to watch come playoff time.

WSU Tony
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
That's a nice looking roster. I wish them well.

nyyfan4life
09-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Possible starting 5

AI
Mayo
Gay
Randolph
Gasol

Do AI, Mayo and Randolph even play any defense? Also with AI, Mayo and Gay are there enough balls to go around?

I like Houston better than them even w/o Yao or T-Mac. They might be offensively challenged a bit but atleast they will play defense.

Wilson
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree that to write off Iverson for his time in Detroit isn't fair. I was saying as soon as the trade happened that he wouldn't fit there.

What's also weird is that for the last four or five seasons, people have been saying things like "This is the year Iverson's body finally breaks down", then he finally has to miss significant time with injury, and suddenly he's just quitting! :confused:

Anyway, I don't like the prospect of him, Mayo and Gay sharing the ball on the perimeter, although him and Melo were able to make the play-offs, so who knows? They could at least be fun to watch if those perimeter guys come together in any way.

jsumadchat
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
lol the grizz look like the western conf raptors. all offence without a lick of D

ragee
09-09-2009, 12:00 PM
I really don't think so.

z-LA Lakers
y-Denver
y-San Antonio
x-Portland
x-Houston
x-Dallas
x-New Orleans
x-Utah
Phoenix
Golden State
Minnesota
Memphis
Oklahoma City
LA Clippers
Sacramento

Who falls out of the playoff picture who made the cut? And can Memphis even improve fast enough to keep pace with teams that will likely be improving such as the Thunder and Wolves?

Houston will be the one who's going to be cut... I think there is a big chance NO will be cut as well... CP3 can't do it alone... Unless, Emeka can click playing alongside Paul... I think Memphis has a chance... Although people thinks of Randolph as a cancer to a team, that guy is a double double machine... He is a legit post up player... So is Gasol... AI and Mayo penetrating to the basket will give the big guys easy touches... The only problem with AI going to Memphis will be Gay... With AI running the point, he needs t learn how to create shots for himself... Something he is not really good at...

Possible starting 5

AI
Mayo
Gay
Randolph
Gasol

Do AI, Mayo and Randolph even play any defense? Also with AI, Mayo and Gay are there enough balls to go around?

I like Houston better than them even w/o Yao or T-Mac. They might be offensively challenged a bit but atleast they will play defense.

Do note that they lost Wafer and Artest too... They are not offensively challenged, is an understatement... Crippled is a better term if you ask me... I think even without defense, they can make the playoffs... Denver (When AI was still there) and Phoenix did it a couple of times already... I don't think they can get passed the first round though...

ManRam
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't think they're playoff material...and I think AI has to come off the bench.

They are still so young. Thabeet starting terrifies me...and you forgot Randolph, who isn't someone I'd ever want on my team. Defensively, they're gonna be pretty weak as well.

ragee
09-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't think they're playoff material...and I think AI has to come off the bench.

They are still so young. Thabeet starting terrifies me...and you forgot Randolph, who isn't someone I'd ever want on my team. Defensively, they're gonna be pretty weak as well.

Dude, AI can't come off the bench... We all saw what happened when Detroit tried that... AI will hinder Coneley's growth though... Something Memphis needs to risk to give this team a chance...

theimortalone
09-09-2009, 12:28 PM
No, AI and Z-Bo on the same team is destined for disaster.

ChiSox219
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Dude, AI can't come off the bench... We all saw what happened when Detroit tried that... AI will hinder Coneley's growth though... Something Memphis needs to risk to give this team a chance...

If AI is smart he will accept his role off the bench. It's Sept 9t, the only team that wants him is Memphis and half the league has not used their MLE.

It would benefit Memphis and Iverson if he came off the bench in a 6th man role.

AI has always been slightly overrated and at age 34, it's no different. If he can shot 43% or higher off the bench I would consider this signing successful.

In addition to having a couple of disruptive players and a bunch of iso ball hogs, the Grizzlies are coached by Lionel Hollins who has already been fired twice as the Grizzlies head coach and hasn't coached anywhere else in the NBA.

cmacmath
09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Do I have to be the guy?

No one else wants to step and say it huh?

Alright...

MIKE CONLEY SUCKS AND IS A BUST!!!!

If you think Allen Iverson...Allen...Iverson...Hall of Famer...shouldn't be starting over Mike Conley then I don't know what to tell you...stunting his growth? STOP IT!!

He would have grown by now...

ChiSox219
09-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Do I have to be the guy?

Alright...

If you think Allen Iverson...Allen...Iverson...Hall of Famer...shouldn't be starting over Mike Conley then I don't know what to tell you...stunting his growth? STOP IT!!

Conley is 21, has played two seasons, improved last season and is on his way to becoming a very solid PG. He will shoot better Iverson, turn the ball over less, and run the offense better.

So please. stop it.

Hawkeye15
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
we will see if there are enough shots for Iverson, Mayo, Gay and Randolph. Thabeet is years away from contributing, and they will play zero defense. They are arguably moving in the right direction, I guess. But there is absolutely no way they are in the playoffs imo. The 8th seed technically is up for grabs, for sure. But can you really see them beating GS, Phx, and LAC out for that spot? I can't.

Boston Faithful
09-09-2009, 02:11 PM
The West isn't better than the East anymore. The East is stronger. Plus the West isn't so stacked anymore. Houston stinks now. So does Phoenix.

Raph12
09-09-2009, 02:12 PM
People seem to knock on Iverson just because of his time with the Pistons, and it's just ********. Iverson obviously didnt fit well in Detroit's system, and that was the big part of him only averaging 17.4 IMO. People seem to write him off just because of that, yet just the season before, he averaged 26.4 PPG. Cmon now.

Allen Iverson
O.J Mayo
Rudy Gay
Marc Gasol
Hasheem Thabeet

Bench:
Conley
Arthur

Figure Iverson, Mayo, and Gay all have the chance to average 20+ PPG while Gasol and Thabeet can pull down 9+ Rebounds a piece and protect the paint. Iverson IMO will answer all of his critics who wrote him off just because of his time in Detroit.

Wrong, the lineup will look like this: (8-man rotation)
PG - Mike Conley
SG - OJ Mayo
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Zach Randolph
C - Marc Gasol
Sixth Man - Allen Iverson
Bench - Arthur, Thabeet

In which case they are in playoff contention provided AI doesn't blow a fuse. This will work as long as AI gets 33-40mpg, otherwise back to the lottery guys.

IBleedPurple
09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
The West isn't better than the East anymore. The East is stronger. Plus the West isn't so stacked anymore. Houston stinks now. So does Phoenix.

Ummm no. Because of 3 really good teams, and one on the fringe?

Very good teams:

West
LA
Denver
SA
Portland
Dallas
N.O.

East
Boston
Cleveland
Orlando
maybe Miami

Raph12
09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Ummm no. Because of 3 really good teams, and one on the fringe?

Very good teams:

West
LA
Denver
SA
Portland
Dallas
N.O.

East
Boston
Cleveland
Orlando
maybe Miami

Remove Miami from the East and NO from the West and your dead on.

smith&wesson
09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
while teams like pheonix fall in the west, teams like memphis and okc are riseing, i dont know if they will make the playoffs this year, but in a season or two they can... new orleans needs to revamp theyre roster if they want to stay competative, peja is a huge contract and doesnt help that team at all,

utah needs to figure out whats going on with booz and ak47 they have a stacked team but for some reason cant get it done.

phenix is ok with nash and j rich but this pheonix team is not built to contend or even pass the first round of the playoffs, i can see them not even making it in.

memphis has chance, they will be a high scoaring team. it will be hard to defend them.

NiTEFuRY
09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
careful with iverson. first he sets conley back a little ways dropping out of that regular starting lineup... and mentoring him, not a chance.

he should have went to charlotte because brown is the only one that can keep him respectable. Also you may not want to count your chickens with thabeet before he proves himself.

bbcmillionaire
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM
lol im going to kill in 2k10

koberulesall
09-09-2009, 03:16 PM
i say no they dont make it

ProdigyI
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
They have a solid bench with Thabeet, Conley, and Darell Arthur

JAZZNC
09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Most selfish one on one team I've ever seen. They are going to be awful. All the kids that don't know a thing about basketball are the ones saying they will be in contention for a playoff spot. This team will be just terrible, 30+games would be an achievement. That team will have to have changes made mid-season b/c somebody will get pissed b/c they aren't getting to chunk it up every time the touch the ball.....that has to be the most un-coachable team I've ever seen.

Zefflin
09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah on paper that team is dece, but idk the West is so stacked. 8 seed at best.

Grizz/Cowboys09
09-09-2009, 06:12 PM
In addition to having a couple of disruptive players and a bunch of iso ball hogs, the Grizzlies are coached by Lionel Hollins who has already been fired twice as the Grizzlies head coach and hasn't coached anywhere else in the NBA.

he wasn't "fired" he just wasn't "re-hired" after twice being named Interim Head Coach after other coaches were fired....him being named Internim twice shows how much management loved him to put him in charge while a more experienced coach was found

but this time, Hollins was signed to run the team after a coaching search, not just to keep the ship from sinking further as in the past

the Grizzlies played good ball under Hollins the second half of last season

I'm most excited because of the bench...the Grizzlies ridded themselves of Darko, Quinton Ross, and Buckner...all horrible non athletic players...they've all been replaced withhigh energy athletic rookies in Carroll, Thabeet, and Young.....so there won't be a tremendous dropoff when the Grizzlies go to the bench with Iverson scoring and the rookies playing good D

Shady66
09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
no way theyll make it with phoenix, and GS fighting for 8th, I do think theyll be better than the clippers tho :)

Penetra8r
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Chemistry ruined

zambo4president
09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
My OJ Mayo jersey says there dangerous. They are an absolute wildcard.

ProdigyI
09-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I think the Grizz will be better than GS this year. Jackson might not even be coming back. I think Iverson is going to explode for 25+ PPG this season just because of all the **** that was talked about him. A man scorned always has something to prove, especially Iverson. He's got a very talented team around him too so I wouldn't be suprised at all if they get the 8th seed

THE MTL
09-09-2009, 07:12 PM
For a team to be good enough in the playoffs you need an inside and outside game and i really don't think Marc and Thabeet have good enough offence to be a threat.

Just look at every team that did well in the playoffs last year and those that did not, the teams that went all the way had talented big men for their inside game along with talented wingers for the outside game

Lakers had Kobe for outside shooting and Gasol for inside post moves
Orlando had Hedo and Lewis draining 3s and Dwight posterizing other bigs

This all being said they may squeeze into 8th but will not go very far

Ummm.....Zach Randolph has perfect post offense. While Marc and especially Thabeet has good post defense.

Allen Iveron and mayo would combine to be the worst defensive backcourt in the league.
Thabeet could lead the NBA in Blocks though, afterall, mayo and AI will be getting beat 50% of the time down the floor.
Also, if AI were to go to memphis, he would HAVE to come off the bench.
No sense,stunting conley's development for 1 year when their bench is so thin.

Ummmm......OJ Mayo actually plays defense. Do u watch him play? He's actually pretty decent at it too.

THE MTL
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
All im saying is that the Grizzlies head coach must be one HELL of a coach for this to work. But if he can put this all together, he'll be coach of the year! A team like this has so much fire power. Also with Houston without Yao, Phoenix being lost, Golden State in ruins, and Utah ridding Boozer; the Grizzlies can make 7th or 8th seed in the WEST!

Kings Faithful
09-09-2009, 07:29 PM
The Grizz are going to be a freaking circus...

IBleedPurple
09-09-2009, 07:31 PM
The Grizz are going to be a freaking circus...

x2

If they start a version of Hard Knocks like the do for NFL training camps, the Grizz would have to be top 3 on the list of choices.

mzgrizz
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
All im saying is that the Grizzlies head coach must be one HELL of a coach for this to work. But if he can put this all together, he'll be coach of the year! A team like this has so much fire power. Also with Houston without Yao, Phoenix being lost, Golden State in ruins, and Utah ridding Boozer; the Grizzlies can make 7th or 8th seed in the WEST!

He is a hell of a coach and will be able to put this team together. I dunno about a playoff spot, but it's certainly not out of the question. I predict the fans will have a much better experience; enjoy the firepower of points on the board and the excitement of having a future HOF'er being a Grizz!!

Cash
09-09-2009, 10:04 PM
rank them? One of the worst starting lineups in the league. They have a lot of talent, but the team work and result will be the equivalent to your YMCA team.

MrFastBreak
09-09-2009, 10:38 PM
we will see if there are enough shots for Iverson, Mayo, Gay and Randolph. Thabeet is years away from contributing, and they will play zero defense. They are arguably moving in the right direction, I guess. But there is absolutely no way they are in the playoffs imo. The 8th seed technically is up for grabs, for sure. But can you really see them beating GS, Phx, and LAC out for that spot? I can't.

I can.

AsiandudePH
09-09-2009, 10:38 PM
AI, I think, would be starting, with Conley off the bench. Would it stunt his growth? I don't think so. They do practice. And it's not like Conley's priority is to score the basket.

And AI doesn't have to play point guard on offense. They could ask Mayo to do that (and hope that he learns to facilitate fast). And Mayo then could guard the SG and AI the PG on the other end.

Randolph just needs to do what he always does and that's dominate the boards and score on the low post. Whoever the center is should concentrate then more on offensive rebounds and defense on the other end. Likewise with AI and Gay, who's gonna do what they do best and that's to slash and score a lot. Mayo could fire it up as well. IMO Mayo's, though starting, would be the one lone starter left with the second unit.

The only problem I see with Iverson andt he Grizz is him disrespecting the coaching staff. Let's see how that pans out.

MrFastBreak
09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Most selfish one on one team I've ever seen. They are going to be awful. All the kids that don't know a thing about basketball are the ones saying they will be in contention for a playoff spot. This team will be just terrible, 30+games would be an achievement. That team will have to have changes made mid-season b/c somebody will get pissed b/c they aren't getting to chunk it up every time the touch the ball.....that has to be the most un-coachable team I've ever seen.

:confused: You aint making sense man. If you are stating your opinion about the Grizzlies making the playoffs, how is that not knowing a thing about basketball?

lorenz00
09-09-2009, 10:52 PM
hey.. i think anything is possible

Ebbs
09-09-2009, 10:52 PM
They will finish in 9th seed just short of the playoffs.
But Allen Iverson will revamp his career an sign a new contract with a competitior next season.

JayW_1023
09-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Not to mention how great a role model AI will be for young Mayo, Conley and Gay...who are all getting to the legal drinking age...clubbing before a game day will always get the sour taste of losing out of your system.

This move could set back Memphis for years. Especially Randolph in the mix, this team is the most dysfunctional since those jail Blazer squads.

DenButsu
09-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Someone remind me again why Memphis traded for Z-Bo in the first place? Forget about Artest and Shaq and Sheed, the Clippers dumping him was the best move of this offseason.

Grizz/Cowboys09
09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Someone remind me again why Memphis traded for Z-Bo in the first place? Forget about Artest and Shaq and Sheed, the Clippers dumping him was the best move of this offseason.

it was good for the Clippers salary wise but it was great for the Grizzlies talent wise

since the Grizzlies came to Memphis, they've had a huge glaring hole at PF....regardless of Randolph's attitude, he's 20pts 10rb so f--k it....the Grizzlies got him for nothing (trade for Q Rich)......and got Allen Iverson for nothing ($3.5 million after over 21 million...what?!?!?!)

i couldn't care less about these guys past, they are both in new cities with new teammates and new coaches in a place that wants and will love them if they a model citizens...hopefully they both have matured enough for this to work...they both should be very motivated to prove the general public wrong

Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph could be the next Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett....the Grizzlies could be the next Celtics (or the next JailBlazers).....you never know....everyone said RayRay and KG would never be a winner before they went to Boston

xxseven72ducexx
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes the Grizzlies have improved but in no way are they a playoff team in the WEST...the only difference in the playoff picture will be Houston and the Clippers switching spots, Clippers will be 8th and the other teams will just switch seeds depending on how well they play throughout the season...the starting line-up should be Gasol, Randolph, Gay, Mayo and AI...hopefully they all realize that they all can't take 25 shots a game...I think Mayo AND Randolph will both mature from this situation, AI will come in with the mindset of proving himself worthy of a teams money and will not cause hysteria or stunt the growth of any of their young players especially since this is only a 1 year deal...Grizz will win 35 games max and fall short of the playoffs but you can't fault them, they're in the West

JOSKOMANG4
09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
C: Marc Gasol/Hasheem Thabeet/Steven Hunter/Hamed Haddadi/Nathan Jawai

PF: Zach Randolph/Darrell Arthur/DeMarre Carroll

SF: Rudy Gay/Sam Young

SG: O.J. Mayo/Allen Iverson

PG: Mike Conley/Marko Jaric/Quincy Douby

That's the Memphis Depth Chart..

So Iverson would be the Veteran SG off the bench... unless they use to SG's in the starting lineup.. I honeslty think.. 6th seed at most.. but definitely a playoff contender.... i say 44-48 wins.

PHX2daDEATH
09-10-2009, 11:05 AM

:mad: yeah okay.. Phoenix had a better record then 4 or 5 of the playoff teams in the east and they played half the season without their best player, went through a coaching change mid-season and still almost won 50 games.. how do they stink? I'll remember you when they are dropping 110 a game this season

but you might be right about the east being better then the west.. but there is so much of a drop off from cleveland, orlando and boston from the rest of the bunch...

Memphis is going to be a disaster, they aren't even better then Minnesota or The Thunder.. They have 2 really good young players in Mayo and Gay who's growth is going to be stunted by adding Iverson and that cancer Zach Randolph.. just think about Iverson's career the last six years people.. he leaves Philly, suddenly they are better.. He leaves denver and they become contenders.. He's the most over-rated player of his time.. his scoring average is tainted because he's a chucker, he won MVP because the 76ers played in a WEAK eastern conference.. they made the finals that one year because the conference was WEAK

PHX2daDEATH
09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes the Grizzlies have improved but in no way are they a playoff team in the WEST...the only difference in the playoff picture will be Houston and the Clippers switching spots, Clippers will be 8th and the other teams will just switch seeds depending on how well they play throughout the season...the starting line-up should be Gasol, Randolph, Gay, Mayo and AI...hopefully they all realize that they all can't take 25 shots a game...I think Mayo AND Randolph will both mature from this situation, AI will come in with the mindset of proving himself worthy of a teams money and will not cause hysteria or stunt the growth of any of their young players especially since this is only a 1 year deal...Grizz will win 35 games max and fall short of the playoffs but you can't fault them, they're in the West

Here we go again.. do you think Blake Griffin is really going to make that much of an impact? Clippers need a new coach before they start thinking about the playoffs

Musical Tempo
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I really don't think so.

z-LA Lakers
y-Denver
y-San Antonio
x-Portland
x-Houston
x-Dallas
x-New Orleans
x-Utah
Phoenix
Golden State
Minnesota
Memphis
Oklahoma City
LA Clippers
Sacramento

I would have to agree with this list except for San Antonio isn't clinching the playoff birth this year for the southwest. It going to have to be New Orleans, then San Antonio, then Dallas.

Houston has way too many changes with Ron Artest leaving, Yao out probably for the entire year, Von Wafer hitting the border, and T-Mac probably will be a now show.

This is where I think the Grizz could capitalizes. If they can keep above 45wins this year they could be an 8th seat.

People are over rating the West this year. Certain teams have gotten worse examples Suns, Spurs with age, with injuries bugs, Houston. Boozer isnít helping out the situation either for Utah.

I think certain West teams like the Lakers, New Orleans have just gotten stronger while the others have taken back seats making it a more even playing field.

Teams that will surprise in the west LA Clippers, and Memphis Grizz not because of Iverson but because of 20 extra pounds of pure athleticism in Rudy Gay.

td0tsfinest
09-10-2009, 11:50 AM
the Pistons barely made it to the playoffs in the east with a 41-41 record; the Pistons team is better than the Grizzlies. They have reliable veterans while the Memphis consists of developing youngsters. They have a lot of offense now but wheres the defense? We don't know if Thabeet can play; looking at his Summer League play, we definitely know he's got a lot to learn before he can start contributing to this team.

ragee
09-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Do I have to be the guy?

Alright...

I hate it when people starts calling people busts when they have only played in the league for a year or two... Conley showed good improvement this year and I do think he will continue to improve and be a decent pg...

DerekRE_3
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
it was good for the Clippers salary wise but it was great for the Grizzlies talent wise

since the Grizzlies came to Memphis, they've had a huge glaring hole at PF....regardless of Randolph's attitude, he's 20pts 10rb so f--k it....the Grizzlies got him for nothing (trade for Q Rich)......and got Allen Iverson for nothing ($3.5 million after over 21 million...what?!?!?!)

i couldn't care less about these guys past, they are both in new cities with new teammates and new coaches in a place that wants and will love them if they a model citizens...hopefully they both have matured enough for this to work...they both should be very motivated to prove the general public wrong

Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph could be the next Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett....the Grizzlies could be the next Celtics (or the next JailBlazers).....you never know....everyone said RayRay and KG would never be a winner before they went to Boston

:laugh2:

DenButsu
09-11-2009, 01:38 AM
I would have to agree with this list except for San Antonio isn't clinching the playoff birth this year for the southwest. It going to have to be New Orleans, then San Antonio, then Dallas.

Houston has way too many changes with Ron Artest leaving, Yao out probably for the entire year, Von Wafer hitting the border, and T-Mac probably will be a now show.

This is where I think the Grizz could capitalizes. If they can keep above 45wins this year they could be an 8th seat.

People are over rating the West this year. Certain teams have gotten worse examples Suns, Spurs with age, with injuries bugs, Houston. Boozer isnít helping out the situation either for Utah.

I think certain West teams like the Lakers, New Orleans have just gotten stronger while the others have taken back seats making it a more even playing field.

Teams that will surprise in the west LA Clippers, and Memphis Grizz not because of Iverson but because of 20 extra pounds of pure athleticism in Rudy Gay.

That list wasn't a prediction. It was the final standings of the 2008-09 season.

AllTheWay
09-11-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say they snag the 8th seed.

rick66ankiel24
09-11-2009, 02:26 AM
naw not quite playoffs but i see them being around .500

grizz32
09-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Here is the line up.
C-Marc Gasol/Hasheem Thabeet
PF-Zach Randolph/Darrell Arthur
SF-Rudy Gay/Demarre Carroll
SG-OJ Mayo/Allen Iverson/Sam Young
PG-Mike Conley/Allen Iverson

AI for 6th man of the year

If we can gel together and play not so much selfish ball we can make a run. The talent level is as good as any team out there.

AllTheWay
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm rooting for em to make the playoffs.

BkOriginalOne
09-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Iverson would be better off the bench.

what54!?
09-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I see chemistry problems so they miss the playoffs

Toenail Clipper
09-14-2009, 12:18 AM
I really want the Jazz and Hornets out of the playoffs
Go Grizzlies and Clippers! :D

Taimla
09-14-2009, 01:22 AM
I really want the Jazz and Hornets out of the playoffs
Go Grizzlies and Clippers! :D
You rly like circus, do you?
:D

theimortalone
09-14-2009, 01:46 AM

Holy hell! :facepalm:

BigSteve
09-14-2009, 08:42 AM
All these people saying AI would be great off the bench need to stop it. The Pistons brought Rip Hamilton off the bench so that AI could start and it failed. Once they tried to have AI come off the bench, we never saw him for the rest of the season. Maybe the fact that so few people wanted him this offseason will teach him a little humility and he'll agree to do it, but don't hold your breath.