PDA

View Full Version : Iverson and Grizzlies meet, but no deal.

BkOriginalOne
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/09/07/iverson.memphis/index.html

Source: Iverson meets with Grizz, but does not sign deal

By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst
Posted Sep 8 2009 6:22AM

Free agent Allen Iverson met with Memphis Grizzlies officials on Monday in Atlanta, but has not yet agreed to accept the team's one-year, $3.5 million offer after speaking with owner Michael Heisley, general manager Chris Wallace and coach Lionel Hollins, according to a league source.

Iverson and the Grizzlies have been dancing around each other for a few weeks, and it still appears likely that the 34-year-old guard will wind up there after trying all summer to find a new home. Memphis can give him the playing time he craves, and he can help generate interest in a young, rebuilding team that has increased its talent dramatically this offseason and could benefit from Iverson's veteran leadership -- as well as his ability draw fans to FedEx Forum.

"Our meeting went well," Wallace said via text message Monday evening, "and now we will see what comes next."

Iverson has been working out in Atlanta this summer with former 76ers teammate and current NBA TV analyst Eric Snow after he and the Detroit PIstons agreed to part company just before the Playoffs. Iverson said he had a back injury that wasn't getting better, but that coincided with his expressed displeasure at coming off the Pistons' bench behind starter Richard Hamilton.

Detroit had no interest in re-signing Iverson, and got far enough under the cap after renouncing his rights to be able to sign free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

Miami and Charlotte have also looked at Iverson, but the Heat seem to have gone in another direction. Charlotte's interest may be stunted both by negotiations by owner Bob Johnson to sell his controlling interest in the team (a new owner certainly would not want to accept a hefty pricetag for a player like Iverson) and the team's ongoing discussions with restricted free agent guard Raymond Felton. Felton and the Bobcats are far apart on a new contract, and the team can't go forward on Iverson until it knows one way or another what will happen with Felton.

blastmasta26
09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Hope they don't sign him. It's a bad fit for both sides.

IBleedPurple
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I guess we'll see if Iverson can ruin the Grizz

Raph12
09-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I think he's holding out for Charlotte, in which case, good job because the Grizz will not work out too well.

KG2TB
09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Who would have ever though 6 years ago that AI would generate practically NO interest from an NBA team?

ko8e24
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
there are no rumors anymore of bobcats looking at AI. that was like 3 wks ago. memphis is the only one seriously interested and has an actual offer on the table. I c him not signing the deal cuz hes prolly being told to come off the bench. thats my guess.

MiamiHeat
09-08-2009, 03:18 PM
he's waiting for Miami to offer him a deal :D

3RDASYSTEM
09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Yall quit being controlled by what the media puts out, its all by design....AI has gotten quiet offers from HOUSTON/INDIANA/OKC/L.A.CLIPS and the others that have been reported thru the media to make him look bad, hes just weighing his options...man this is his 14yr coming up and we still talking bout how good he is,so at least give him the time to sort thru his options,though i kno GRIZZ can offer more money with adding incentives...go thru the history of the league and see how players have faired this late into they career...AI will be strait no matter where he goes...i would rather have 2 combo guards(MAYO/AI) in the backcourt...options a beautiful thing in team sports...all i keep hearing is its only one ball...well its been like that for 60yrs , AI is one of the most underrated assists man i have come to known....and he's going to start cuz the GRIZZ owner said he's coming to compete in camp for a open guard spot jus like everybody else and you know damn well CONLEY will not win and MAYO aint budgin(plus him and AI can share PG duties), just like AI stated in his previous reports that the media waited forever just to publish,he wants to compete for starting job and if he losses he has no prob coming off bench...but yall took the DET story and ran with it without hearing from the horses mouth....like OCHO CINCO told SKIP 'I AM THE SOURCE'...'unnamed sources' is not a source...its a quote to cause confusion

king4day
09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I think he's waiting for an offer from Charlotte. That's his best chance to shine again. No other team I can see, he would actually be able to help, like he would in NC.

bigsams50
09-08-2009, 05:07 PM
I think he's waiting for an offer from Charlotte. That's his best chance to shine again. No other team I can see, he would actually be able to help, like he would in NC.

:nod:

Nate David+ Co.
09-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Not even the knicks?^

Mckphins
09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
^ i see him a perfect fit in new york

smith&wesson
09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
3.5 MILL FOR ONE YEAR ?? ouch.

iversons a good player still, Joe dumars is an idiot for giving up billups for iverson when he knew he already had rip... he did it for financial reasons and i understand that but in the mean time he completly killed iversons value. which is sad because he is still a starter in this league and just needs to find a team that he would fit well on.

i think if he went to miami, he could start and be the second scoring option behind wade. Wade can not do it every single night by himself. i think iverson can help miami.

iverson
wade
beasley
haslem
JO

thats a pretty solid line up. haslem and jo are defensive players, wade and iverson can score at will and beasley can develop with solid vets around him .. seems to me that would be a good fit for him as long as he can asume the role of 2nd option behind wade.