PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest PURE Shooting/Defensive Minded PG?

Chronz
09-08-2009, 03:51 AM
How rare of a combination is this, a great shooting PG with brilliant defensive skills. He basically makes everyone better on both ends, who comes to mind? Of our era, any era, AllTime?

GoatMilk
09-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Chauncey and Deron currently

BigEric
09-08-2009, 04:27 AM
Mark Price.

Statik1
09-08-2009, 05:12 AM
Chauncey hands down

blazerman
09-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I dont think that combination makes a pg the greatest of all tiime because we all know who they are but some guys that fall in this category could be

Chauncey Billups, Mark Price, Kevin Johnson, Maybe Gary Payton(dont think he had a money shoot but adaquate), John Stockton

Raps18-19 Champ
09-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Billups

Wake's Fastball
09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
If we go a bit more old school, John Havlicek garners some discussion.

Macken
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
what bout Isiah Thomas, great defender with a decent jumpshot.. Gary Payton, even Steve Nash..

Lo Porto
09-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Defense and getting others involved from a PG? No doubt it's Stockton. It's not even close. No PG or any other player will ever get close to the amount of steals and assists he had in his career. He also won more games than any other PG ever. And he could shoot lights out but was too unselfish. This isn't even a discussion - Stockton by a landslide.

TheKing23
09-08-2009, 08:51 AM
what bout Isiah Thomas, great defender with a decent jumpshot.. Gary Payton, even Steve Nash..

Steve Nash is an awful defender, he really struggles staying infront of some of the faster PG's in the league because he lacks lateral quickness.

I'd say Chauncey Billups is probably the best example here.

asandhu23
09-08-2009, 09:08 AM
oscar robertson.... unless he was a sg...then never mind

29$JerZ
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I would say Chauncey Billups now fits that description well.

AntiG
09-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Magic

Young and Stupid
09-08-2009, 09:44 AM

:rimshot:

jmastert
09-08-2009, 09:59 AM
C. Billups obvious answer

rand3h
09-08-2009, 10:03 AM
John Stockton.

He could shoot the rock, steal the ball, and made his teammates better.

rockbottom2010
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Billups

I agree

BkOriginalOne
09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Billups.

ewing
09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Walt Frazier

CELTICS4LYFE
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
rajjjjooooonnnn rooonnndddooo :p

what54!?
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
billups or GP

heatbb
09-08-2009, 11:19 AM
rajjjjooooonnnn rooonnndddooo :p
Good sense of humour. :p

I'm gonna go with Billups currently and Stockton all time.

IBleedPurple
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Mr Big Shot Chauncey Billups

blastmasta26
09-08-2009, 11:40 AM
oscar robertson.... unless he was a sg...then never mind
Big O is definitely a PG.

Raph12
09-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Chauncey Billups, Mark Price and Kevin Johnson

Deron williams is starting to fit that bill as well

Tblaze
09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Good sense of humour. :p

I'm gonna go with Billups currently and Stockton all time.

Those are my picks too.

3RDASYSTEM
09-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd go with STOCKTON cuz he was pure shooter jus ran offense like tru point man and didnt look really for his shot,would also throw the glove(PAYTON) in there even tho his shot wasnt really pure,he still put up PPG numbers....Man im so sick of hearing all this make your teammates better crap..its insane...C BILLUPS played for like 5/6 teams before making home in DET...DID HE MAKE ANY TEAMMATES BETTER BEFORE HE GOT TO DET didnt think so or he wouldnt have been traded so much...So stop with the stupid comments, yea 'stupid'...from JORDAN to MAGIC to NASH to KIDD to BILLUPS they all played with a go getter or two or more..and its well documented so go check the rosters...now all yall go and actually play some ball and find out how much better you can make your teammates, your only as good as your talent, if P.JACKSON is such a great coach then how come after SHAQ was traded he couldnt get out of 1st round,what happen KOBE couldnt 'make' his teammates better...hell no, he just didnt have the proper talent around him..but now with the good quality talent around he now 'makes everybody better',yeah right...you make your teammates better during offseason workouts and them taking on your workout habits...but i guess since i actually have played the game,no one will believe me...jus the non basketball media people...who make of this stuff and even have some NBA players fall for it... AND last but not least how can u be a great DEF PG when in the playoffs you dont even guard CP3 and hes the other teams PG...but BILLUPS could alwayz shoot the ball.. and pretty much outside of BOWEN/B.WALLACE/BATTIER no one really prides in DEF(everyone nowadays play half *** D) and i dont want to hear 'this guy can play D when he wants to'... you either play D or you dont..so i lost a lot of respect for BILLUPS DEF. when he didnt guard CP3 in past yr playoffs and they play same position...Players like JORDAN/MAGIC/SHAQ/DUNCAN/AI/LEBRON build 'CONFIDENCE' in teammates but that only leads to believing you can do well not actually making you do better...

Wilson
09-08-2009, 12:37 PM

Steve Nash is a fantastic shooter, but certainly not defensive minded...

I agree with everyone talking about John Stockton all-time and Chauncey Billups now.

I think you can mention Jason Kidd in this discussion as well now. He's always been a good defender and whilst he's not able to stay in front of everyone now, he has been a good team defender with the Mavs, and has also become a very good shooter.

iHop
09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Chauncey without question

MackSnackWrap
09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Billups and Stockton No Doubt and i think D-Will will be in a year or 2

Raps18-19 Champ
09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Boykins.

Raph12
09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
For everyone that is throwing Stockton's name out there, he gets an honorable mention, but he is not a great defender which is why he's not the "greatest PURE shooting/Defensive Minded PG" imo.

koberulesall
09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
of all time MAGIC hands down, playing today I will go with Kidd in his prime or GP of course in his prime too but since they arent in there prime anymore i will have to say Billups or C paul or WIlliams i would take any of them

Chronz
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
For everyone that is throwing Stockton's name out there, he gets an honorable mention, but he is not a great defender which is why he's not the "greatest PURE shooting/Defensive Minded PG" imo.

Mark Price was a better defender?

Storch
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Chris Paul

Wilson
09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
of all time MAGIC hands down, playing today I will go with Kidd in his prime or GP of course in his prime too but since they arent in there prime anymore i will have to say Billups or C paul or WIlliams i would take any of them

Magic wasn't a great defender, nor was he a pure shooter. His career 3pt average is .303, and dipped as far as .196 (in the '87-'88 season). He 3pt shooting was .350 only twice in his career (.384 in '89-'90, and .379 in '95-'96). Besides that he never got it above .320 ('90-'91).

SteveNash
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Joe Dumars when he played PG.

Raph12
09-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Mark Price was a better defender?

Arguable, but yeah I guess you have a point, let's just remove both of them lol

ko8e24
09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Mike James :smoking:

Raps18-19 Champ
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
^Weren't you the same guy trying to diss me saying that I am unoriginal for making Bargnani jokes?

Mavrix
09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Tony Parker

swishamayng
09-08-2009, 03:57 PM

LOL. You are so right man. He was not that great of a defender considering he is the all time leader in steals by a ***.king landslide. Did you used to even watch basketball back when stock played? Yeah, not that great of a defender. Hands down the most grittiest player pound for pound. Gets cheap shotted by all big guys (Chris Webber anyone) and still gets up and just lays it on the line. You my friend may have made one of the stupidest comments of a "basketball" fan.

And for future reference involving any who is the greatest point guard of all time talk bs. OK, I know about Magic Johnson, but he was a freak of Nature, and was a great (arguably the best of all time next to Stockton) point guard, but pure point guard skills go to Stock. Hands down in every damn discussion Stockton wins. They say all records will get broke, but damn Stockton's assist and steals records are Godly.

All actual Utah fans and basketball fans who used to watch him knows what I am talking about. Hands down greatest PG in any aspect. He was clutch, ran the point, great defender, shot damn well (just too unselfish to actually put up points) great leader, greatest pure PG ever.

Bucsfan
09-08-2009, 05:04 PM
john stockton, considering he is the all time steals leader in the NBA, and was fantastic at shooting, just didnt shoot as much as most people wanted to....thus making him the all time assists leader also

nyyfan4life
09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd go with STOCKTON cuz he was pure shooter jus ran offense like tru point man and didnt look really for his shot,would also throw the glove(PAYTON) in there even tho his shot wasnt really pure,he still put up PPG numbers....Man im so sick of hearing all this make your teammates better crap..its insane...C BILLUPS played for like 5/6 teams before making home in DET...DID HE MAKE ANY TEAMMATES BETTER BEFORE HE GOT TO DET didnt think so or he wouldnt have been traded so much...So stop with the stupid comments, yea 'stupid'...from JORDAN to MAGIC to NASH to KIDD to BILLUPS they all played with a go getter or two or more..and its well documented so go check the rosters...now all yall go and actually play some ball and find out how much better you can make your teammates, your only as good as your talent, if P.JACKSON is such a great coach then how come after SHAQ was traded he couldnt get out of 1st round,what happen KOBE couldnt 'make' his teammates better...hell no, he just didnt have the proper talent around him..but now with the good quality talent around he now 'makes everybody better',yeah right...you make your teammates better during offseason workouts and them taking on your workout habits...but i guess since i actually have played the game,no one will believe me...jus the non basketball media people...who make of this stuff and even have some NBA players fall for it... AND last but not least how can u be a great DEF PG when in the playoffs you dont even guard CP3 and hes the other teams PG...but BILLUPS could alwayz shoot the ball.. and pretty much outside of BOWEN/B.WALLACE/BATTIER no one really prides in DEF(everyone nowadays play half *** D) and i dont want to hear 'this guy can play D when he wants to'... you either play D or you dont..so i lost a lot of respect for BILLUPS DEF. when he didnt guard CP3 in past yr playoffs and they play same position...Players like JORDAN/MAGIC/SHAQ/DUNCAN/AI/LEBRON build 'CONFIDENCE' in teammates but that only leads to believing you can do well not actually making you do better...

The 'enter' key and paragraphs are your friends...

Kyben36
09-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Kirk, because that exactly describes him, if you added soft, it would have to be Hinrich.

sp1derm00
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Kirk, because that exactly describes him, if you added soft, it would have to be Hinrich.

Hinrich is in no way soft.

He's probably one of the most hard nosed defenders in basketball today.

mrblisterdundee
09-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Our Era: Chauncey Billups

80's-90's Era: John Stockton/Isiah Thomas

mikantsass
09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Bob Cousy, Oscar Robertson, Gary Payton, Walt Frazier

IBleedPurple
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Not only is that an ignorant post, you really need to take an English class and learn what a paragraph is.

Breaking down your madness:
Chauncey took a while to mature, which is why he was on several teams. Plenty of players have taken a while to become a very good player.

Billups does make his team better. Ask his teammates how great of a leader he is. How was Detroit without him?

As for the playoffs last year, the Hornets best offensive player is CP3. Our best small defender was Dahntay Jones. Wouldn't you put your best defender on the best opposing player of similar size?

Dahntay and the help defense frustrated CP3 to no end. It obviously worked, and kept Billups fresher in each game since he wasn't chasing CP3 all over the court.

(see how I separate thoughts and topics:D)

Cavs_Fan24
09-08-2009, 09:54 PM
First guy I thought of was Chauncey Billups

GREATNESS ONE
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Gary payton

ARMIN12NBA
09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
John Stockton comes to mind in terms of pure shooting and the fact that he was a solid defender. Gary Payton comes to mind because he was a great defender and arguably the best defensive PG in our era. His shooting was average, but he could get in hot streaks and shoot the ball very well every now and then.

asandhu23
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM

back to school, get your bookbag!

Raps18-19 Champ
09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I forgot about Hinrich.

He isn't the best but he is above average on both ends.

bagwell368
09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
If we go a bit more old school, John Havlicek garners some discussion.

John John played about 6% of his career minutes at guard, and it was often an offense only assignment.

Billups in the past 10 years

Payton in the past 25 years

Oscar all time

Dumars honorable mention

Stockton and Magic were nowhere near good enough on D to be named. Oy

SpeeMN
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Magic

yojoe792
09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Jose Calderon.

AKA TheMamba
09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
the glove gary payton in his prime was a great defender and leader...

theLgndKllr35
09-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Chauncey Billups. I didn't realize how key he was to that Detroit team until I saw what he did for the Nuggets.

dodie53
09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
stockton

Lakersfan2483
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
It's out of Stockton, Isaiah and Oscar.

jakesmail123
09-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Kevin Johnson

I like you
09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Bibby is one thats not getting mentioned

Ovratd1up
09-09-2009, 01:34 AM
Billups is easily the best.
Hinrich is next as he fits the description perfectly.
Kidd is as he's developed a three point shot he didn't have in the past.
^^Bibby is a great three point shooter, but I'm not sure he's a good defender.

I think ONE DAY Deron Williams and Chris Paul will be this, but they are not yet. And neither are defensive minded.

DerekRE_3
09-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Bibby is one thats not getting mentioned

Bibby plays 0 defense.

Ansy
09-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Chauncey. He's a lights out spot-up shooter, and he's the best PG defender I've seen since the Glove.

I like you
09-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Hinrich is also a very good shooter and a gritty defender

Ace33Bone
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Billups would be the first one that pops in my mind he is kind of the perfect name for the definition you put in your title

rsweene
09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
To clarify the greatest point gaurd that is more of a shooter than passer with excellent D? Sounds like chauncey to me

Mavrix
09-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I totally forgot about Devin Harris

ramansingh3
09-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Kirk Hinrich

blah-blah
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
John Stockton
Chauncey Billups
Jason Kidd

Vinny642
09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Defense and getting others involved from a PG? No doubt it's Stockton. It's not even close. No PG or any other player will ever get close to the amount of steals and assists he had in his career. He also won more games than any other PG ever. And he could shoot lights out but was too unselfish. This isn't even a discussion - Stockton by a landslide.

CP3 will take or come close to that record.

but for this thread im going Billups