PDA

View Full Version : Jays start the farewell tour against the Comedy Central - Jays/Twins Sept 7-10

Twitchy
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Minnesota Twins

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eXQh6Qsh7Z8/Si8s7ULO2kI/AAAAAAAABTA/gYZSQogjIMI/s400/milano_twins.jpg

Vs

Toronto Blue Jays

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/51-88/51-88520-F.jpg

all info taken from bluejays.com

Monday Sept 7, 1:07, SNET

Jeff Manship, RHP (0-0, 3.75) vs Scott Richmond, RHP (6-8, 4.53)

Scouting report:

Twins: Manship made his first Major League start on Tuesday against the White Sox, lasting five innings and allowing just one run -- a solo home run by Alexei Ramirez -- on four Chicago hits. He walked two and struck out two, and he did not factor into the decision. Prior to his starting debut, Manship had made five relief appearances for Minnesota, allowing four runs in seven innings. Hell be facing Toronto for the first time.

Blue Jays: It's been a tough stretch for Richmond, as he's allowed a home run in each of his past three starts. He allowed two to the Rangers in his last start on Wednesday, lasting five-plus innings, allowing six runs (five earned) on seven hits with three strikeouts and four walks. Toronto, though, is committed to letting Richmond finish the season in the starting rotation and hopes he can turn things around against the Twins. In one career start against Minnesota, Richmond went 6 1/3 innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits with three strikeouts.

Tuesday Sept 8, 7:07, SNET

Brian Duensing, LHP (2-1, 3.81) vs Ricky Romero, LHP (11-7, 4.15)

Scouting report:

Twins: Duensing made just his fourth career start on Wednesday against the White Sox, and the young lefty turned in a strong effort. Duensing pitched seven scoreless innings and scattered five hits while striking out seven. In his past three starts, Duensing has posted an ERA of 1.42, surrendering only three earned runs in 19 innings. Hell be facing Toronto for the first time in his career.

Blue Jays: He struggled with his fastball command in losing to the Yankees on Sept. 3 when he allowed six hits, seven runs (five earned), six walks and struck out seven in 4 1/3 innings. He is 1-1 with a 5.94 ERA against the Yankees and 0-3, 8.83 ERA against the Boston Red Sox, who beat him Aug. 29. The rookie admits he has been too hyped for his starts against those AL East rivals. This time he meets a team from the AL Central, the Twins. He faced them April 14 in his second Major League start and did not figure in the decision despite holding them to two runs over eight innings. His main problem against the Yankees last week came in the first inning, when his pitches were up and he gave up four runs, two unearned because of right fielder Travis Snider's error. For the next two innings, Romero kept the ball down and retired six in a row, four on strikeouts.

Wednesday September 9, 7:07, SNET

Carl Pavano, RHP (11-11, 5.09) vs Roy Halladay, RHP (14-8, 2.98)

Scouting report:

Twins: Pavano pitched well, but errors ultimately spoiled his return to Cleveland as the Twins lost to the Indians on Friday. Facing his former team for the first time, Pavano kept Minnesota in the game despite not having his best stuff. But after errors led to runs in the third and sixth innings, Pavano left with a two-run deficit. In all, Pavano pitched six innings, giving up eight hits and three earned runs while striking out six and walking two. He will try to regroup against the Blue Jays, against whom he is 2-4 with a 6.41 ERA in eight career starts.

Blue Jays: After losing three successive starts for only the third time in his career, Halladay was brilliant against the Yankees, pitching his second career one-hitter in a 6-0 win. It was his second shutout of the season and his sixth complete game. He regained the feel of his curveball in the last few innings of his Aug. 30 loss in Boston and was able to carry over that pitch effectively into the Yankees start. His changeup also was better and Doc's sinker and cutter need no introduction. The only hit was a clean double on an 0-1 curve to Ramiro Pena with one out in the sixth. He beat the Twins at the Metrodome, April 16, allowing eight hits but no walks and one run while striking out eight in seven innings. He is 8-0 with a 2.77 ERA in his career against the Twins.

Thursday September 10, 12:37, preview channel (?)

Scott Baker, RHP (13-7, 4.34) vs Brett Cecil, LHP (6-4, 5.46)

Scouting report:

Twins: Baker pitched well once again Saturday in a win over the Indians. The right-hander has been the Twins' best pitcher over the past two months, having not lost a game in his past 11 starts, which includes four no-decisions. Baker has been particularly tough against the Indians this season, and it was no different Saturday. He pitched six innings, allowing just one run on three hits with four walks and four strikeouts despite not having his best stuff. The right-hander will try to continue his winning ways on Thursday against the Blue Jays.

Blue Jays: This is scheduled to be Cecil's final start of the season as the organizations wants to keep the rookie's innings pitched under control. After going 4 1/3 innings in a loss to the Yankees on Sept. 5, he has 136 1/3 innings between Toronto and Triple-A Las Vegas. He pitched 118 2/3 innings last season at three different minor-league levels. He hasn't pitched over five innings in his past five starts. He is 2-4, 6.98 ERA, in eighth starts against AL East teams and 4-0, 4.22 ERA, in eight starts against other teams. He had trouble keeping the ball down in his loss to New York and gave up seven hits, three runs, three walks and struck out four. He is seeking consistency with his delivery that would allow him to keep the ball down and when he does that he has good sink and his changeup is effective. He has not faced Detroit.

nithanyo
09-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I say we spliut

Zaunnie
09-07-2009, 10:46 AM
We got a top 10 pick right now, so hopefully by the end of this series we'll be in good position for a top 5

marcre
09-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, this game started out poorly.

T.O.Bombinators
09-07-2009, 04:40 PM
i slept through it..good plan

Gibby
09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
We got a top 10 pick right now, so hopefully by the end of this series we'll be in good position for a top 5

i dont care if jays lose everygame, as long as they win doc's starts. A cy young award would be a bright spot in this season.

marcre
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM

A top 5 pick would be great, especially when he doesn't sign.

herMiz06
09-07-2009, 11:24 PM
A top 5 pick would be great, especially when he doesn't sign.

I think the blue jays recognize that in the Toronto sports market, regardless of the team's current fan base, it is necessary to pay as far overslot as they must to sign a top 5 pick if they had the opportunity to draft that high.

herMiz06
09-07-2009, 11:26 PM
And regardless of where they pick in the first round, I really think the 2010 draft year should be used to target position players, the farm is really hurting.

nithanyo
09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
I think we need pitching depth. We need an ace when doc leaves

marcre
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I think we need pitching depth. We need an ace when doc leaves

we need a lot.

marcre
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
I think the blue jays recognize that in the Toronto sports market, regardless of the team's current fan base, it is necessary to pay as far overslot as they must to sign a top 5 pick if they had the opportunity to draft that high.

they didn't sign a few picks from the last draft, so why would I think they'll pay more to a top 5 pick?

Zaunnie
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
is it still possible for us to draft Bryce Harper?

T.O.Bombinators
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
i wish

Gibby
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
is it still possible for us to draft Bryce Harper?

were out of the bryce harper race too. it looks like the nationals will get him but royals or pirates have a chance. damn it, i wish baseball had a draft lottery.

Gibby
09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Romero is struggling early going. i think this is the rookie wall. his rookie of the year chances are fading away.

MLBJB
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Romero has run out of gas, that much is clear, shut him down.

marcre
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Very nice mac!

StealingSigns
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Johnny Rake!! Whoot!

Aaron Hill must be worried that maybe his starting job is in jeopardy!

(just kidding, but you gotta be happy for Johnny Mac on this evening)

nithanyo
09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Isnt Johnny mac comming off the books after this season? Wasnt his contract like 2yr/3mill?

Gibby
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
^^ ya he is FA, he made $ 1.9 this year. its great to see johnnymac get a hr. he just needs one more to tie his career high.

marcre
09-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I hope they bring him back. He's an excellent defensive replacement. Of course, we have many other needs, so I'm not too worried about backups at this point.

Gibby
09-09-2009, 01:27 AM
i know he is backup but he probably expected to play alot more than he did season.

marcre
09-09-2009, 04:38 AM
i know he is backup but he probably expected to play alot more than he did season.

he probably should have played a little more than he did. Nothing wrong with players getting a break every once in awhile.

nithanyo
09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
He would have gotten more playing time if rolen, Scutaro and Hill werent hitting the cover off the ball

Jays Claw
09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Blue Jays (62-76)

1. Marco Scutaro - SS
2. Jose Bautista - RF
3. Adam Lind - DH
4. Lyle Overbay - 1B
5. Vernon Wells - CF
6. Rod Barajas - C
7. Edwin Encarnacion - 3B
8. Travis Snider - LF
9. John McDonald - 2B

Pitcher: Roy Halladay [RHP] - (27 Games, 14-8, 2.98 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, .256 AVG, 28 BB, 174 SO)

Twins (69-69)

1. Denard Span - CF
2. Orlando Cabrera - SS
3. Joe Mauer - DH
4. Justin Morneau - 1B
5. Jason Kubel - RF
6. Delmon Young - LF
7. Brian Buscher - 3B
8. Jose Morales - C
9. Nick Punto - 2B

Pitcher: Carl Pavano [RHP] - (27 Games, 11-11, 5.09 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, .291 AVG, 32 BB, 118 SO)

Gibby
09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
lets hope jays can score enough runs for Doc.he still has a chance at the cy young.

AmmoWasted
09-09-2009, 07:28 PM
God help those fake umpires if I was sitting behind them.

bomber0104
09-10-2009, 12:03 AM
God help those fake umpires if I was sitting behind them.

that is what goes through my mind everytime i watch them

bomber0104
09-10-2009, 12:04 AM
on another note... I believe Halladay is counting the days till he is traded

McJoe
09-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Is this game not on TV today? Whats going on?

marcre
09-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Is this game not on TV today? Whats going on?

sucks, wasn't on the MLB Extra Innings package either. Seems like neither team was broadcasting it. At least we won.