PDA

View Full Version : Condition of Rogers Center(Centre)

marcre
09-07-2009, 01:27 AM
I haven't been to the dome in about three years and while I was watching the game a couple days ago(I live in Baltimore, MD and order the MLB package) and it was the Yankee announcers for this particular game.

Something I found interesting is they were mentioning the condition of the Dome. They were saying how there was some cosmetic issues with the dome, as in upkeep was shoddy. These weren't their words exactly, but to that affect. I don't remember everything they said, but I remember them mentioning some damaged missing letters on the ring of fame as well as other places.

To the people that have been recently, do you feel the dome is neglected at all? I remember a few years ago when Rogers bought it they had plans to enhance it and to their credit they did and it was off to a great start, but that didn't seem to last very long.

I really hope ownership doesn't let this thing fall apart. I remember when it first opened, it was a marvel to see and be in. Skydome was really an original and the envy of the world.

2009mvp
09-07-2009, 02:13 AM
I've been to a bunch of games this year and I don't remember seeing a problem with the Level of Excellence names. Bathrooms are relatively clean and there's nothing egregiously wrong with the general upkeep of the building. It is what it is, a soulless, concrete mess that may have been a modern marvel in 1989 but it's now a pretty crappy place to watch a ballgame. I suppose it still gets the job done though.

marcre
09-07-2009, 04:13 AM
I've been to a bunch of games this year and I don't remember seeing a problem with the Level of Excellence names. Bathrooms are relatively clean and there's nothing egregiously wrong with the general upkeep of the building. It is what it is, a soulless, concrete mess that may have been a modern marvel in 1989 but it's now a pretty crappy place to watch a ballgame. I suppose it still gets the job done though.

Maybe some of it was down for repair. Not sure. They were mentioning Tom Cheeks' name as one missing a letter or something.

I agree about the dome. It's funny, in 1989 it was a masterpiece and then things changed relatively quick. Style, taste, design, whatever it was, but the dome went from being an engineering and technological marvel, to an out of date stadium pretty quick.

I think the idea of a new stadium is out of the question, but maybe a serious face-lift and renovation might be nice. I think with some cosmetic changes and enhancements, it could be above average again.

nstojic
09-07-2009, 05:59 AM
'soulless' was mentioned... and that's a very accurate adjective... and no, there's nothing really neglected, as far as upkeep... they do the best with what's there.... if there's any issue at all, i'd have to say that IMO, they should take down rolen, BJ, rios from the giant murals on the south face of the building...

one thing that irks me... rogers is a communications giant.... however, in the OF seats, they have these TV's above the seats that broadcast the tv feed, because you can't see the Jumbotron from those seats... these tv's are ****ing ancient!!! they're like 27 inch cubes, with the grainiest picture... c'mon Rogers, buy a few ****ing HDTV's! I'm sure they can get a good deal on them...

marcre
09-07-2009, 06:17 AM
'soulless' was mentioned... and that's a very accurate adjective... and no, there's nothing really neglected, as far as upkeep... they do the best with what's there.... if there's any issue at all, i'd have to say that IMO, they should take down rolen, BJ, rios from the giant murals on the south face of the building...

one thing that irks me... rogers is a communications giant.... however, in the OF seats, they have these TV's above the seats that broadcast the tv feed, because you can't see the Jumbotron from those seats... these tv's are ****ing ancient!!! they're like 27 inch cubes, with the grainiest picture... c'mon Rogers, buy a few ****ing HDTV's! I'm sure they can get a good deal on them...

Probably in the offseason they'll remove the murals. Have to see who'll be here next year I guess. I wish they'd do something to remake the dome though. I guess there are other things to worry about.

nstojic
09-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Probably in the offseason they'll remove the murals. Have to see who'll be here next year I guess. I wish they'd do something to remake the dome though. I guess there are other things to worry about.

when rogers bought the building, there were back-to-back seasons where they unveiled improvements to the interior but that seems to have stopped completely... i guess, unless they mess with the structure itself, there's not much more to do...

fatkev78
09-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Tom Cheek's name is missing a letter and I believe there is a number that has fallen off the level of excellence as well.

wamco
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
As long as the 92-93 flags wave and the dome isn't falling on my head, I could care less. "amazing place to watch the game" thing is overrated IMO. I go to AAA games in Buffalo or games in Pitt, Cleve, or To, or bleachers in the park by my house. Whatever. If the team is great, I'd sit on tacks.

Football attendance is through the roof and are those "great places to watch the game"? For the most part, you are in a horrible, drunken environment for kids under 14, and depending where you live, in especially inclimate weather.

You know what's great about a seat at the dome? The complete lack of rain drenching me.

marcre
09-07-2009, 01:43 PM
You know what's great about a seat at the dome? The complete lack of rain drenching me.

I was at a game a few years ago where there was like a 12 minute rain delay. 1 of only a few in the history of the dome. Was kind of cool, actually.

Gibby
09-07-2009, 09:41 PM
i hate how the turf looks. i know they cant put in natural grass but they need better turf.

marcre
09-07-2009, 11:17 PM
i hate how the turf looks. i know they cant put in natural grass but they need better turf.

the turf has always been bad. The original turf looked like it was installed by a group of children.

StealingSigns
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Rogers Centre/Skydome got a raw deal cosmetically from whoever installed the field turf. WTF, did they opt for the cheapest option and end up getting all the scraps from the other stadiums?

The damn field looks like a quilt stitched together by my grandma after she had hit the Crown Royal with a little over-exuberance.

cynomatic
09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
as long as the 92-93 flags wave and the dome isn't falling on my head, i could care less. "amazing place to watch the game" thing is overrated imo. I go to aaa games in buffalo or games in pitt, cleve, or to, or bleachers in the park by my house. Whatever. If the team is great, i'd sit on tacks.

Football attendance is through the roof and are those "great places to watch the game"? For the most part, you are in a horrible, drunken environment for kids under 14, and depending where you live, in especially inclimate weather.

x2

StealingSigns
09-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Despite my comments about the turf (which sucks donkey nards) the 'Dome is still a great place to watch a ball game.

For those of us that attend opening day, and (heaven forbid) October play, I'll take the concrete over howling snow/sleet any day.

scottythegreat1
09-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I went to Rogers Centre a month ago. I used to go a lot more, but lately, its been a lot harder to get out.

Anyways, I dont like all the security thats in there, and all the rules they have. I cant heckle players anymore without getting a threat of ejection from the ushers there. I cant even visit friends that are a few sections over without getting threatened with ejection. You cant even throw baseballs back onto the field without getting ejected. There are 5 times more ushers in there then there was 2 years ago. Its not as fun as it was a few years ago, I am debating whether or not I should the trip up to Toronto again.

scotttube
09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I went on Friday and Sunday and I think the Level of Excellence says something like TORONTO _L_E JAYS and thats why the commentators were saying it must be french canadian i.e. Toronto le Jays. It also says 4_06 TOM CHEEK I believe. Theres a few cupholders missing in my section as well but all of those things are aesthetics. They don't affect the way the game is played on the field.

T.O. Fan
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
when rogers bought the building, there were back-to-back seasons where they unveiled improvements to the interior but that seems to have stopped completely... i guess, unless they mess with the structure itself, there's not much more to do...

Wrong.

Rogers has spent $$$ every year upgrading the Rogers Centre. Whether it be the turf, scoreboards, concoarse, club seats, restaurants, hotel, club house, etc. something has been done every year.

The turf is apparantly being replaced for next season.

marcre
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I went to Rogers Centre a month ago. I used to go a lot more, but lately, its been a lot harder to get out.

Anyways, I dont like all the security thats in there, and all the rules they have. I cant heckle players anymore without getting a threat of ejection from the ushers there. I cant even visit friends that are a few sections over without getting threatened with ejection. You cant even throw baseballs back onto the field without getting ejected. There are 5 times more ushers in there then there was 2 years ago. Its not as fun as it was a few years ago, I am debating whether or not I should the trip up to Toronto again.

I hear you about the security, but that's changed everywhere. Time have changed and I appreciate the safety. When I was a kid, when someone ran on the field it was fun, now it is taken seriously. As it should. The dynamics of the world have changed big time.

nithanyo
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Wrong.

Rogers has spent $$$ every year upgrading the Rogers Centre. Whether it be the turf, scoreboards, concoarse, club seats, restaurants, hotel, club house, etc. something has been done every year.

The turf is apparantly being replaced for next season.

Are you serious? I hope we get grass....or is it just changing into another type of astro turf.....or are you just BSing?

Gibby
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Are you serious? I hope we get grass....or is it just changing into another type of astro turf.....or are you just BSing?

they are changing the turf but it will be just a differrent type of turf. they are not going to change to grass because rogers center is a multi purpose facility.

Billyen
09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
As long as the 92-93 flags wave and the dome isn't falling on my head, I could care less.

If the team is great, I'd sit on tacks.

:clap:

marcre
09-08-2009, 08:21 PM
they are changing the turf but it will be just a differrent type of turf. they are not going to change to grass because rogers center is a multi purpose facility.

hopefully it gets installed properly.

wamco
09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
wow, missing letters is ghetto, no way getting around that.

2009mvp
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah I didn't notice that myself but if it's true something certainly needs to be done. Even seems kinda disrespectful to have letters/numbers falling off of guys' names.

j-mart
09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I saw a game in San Francisco last year and this week I went to a game in Boston. I like the Dome but it just doesn't have the same feel and energy as some of the other ballparks. The experience at Fenway was incredible.

T.O. Fan
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Supposedly it will be turf, two pieces with 1 seam instead of all the rectangles they use now.

The sad thing is that I heard that MLB is actually paying for it.

I guess they don't like what's being used now and Rogers balked at paying for a new one, so MLB stepped up.

T.O. Fan
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
^^And I don't B.S.

The only thing close that I do would be to post information that I'm told without having a media source to back it up (ex. the above details about the new turf).

jaysrocksox
09-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I saw a game in San Francisco last year and this week I went to a game in Boston. I like the Dome but it just doesn't have the same feel and energy as some of the other ballparks. The experience at Fenway was incredible.

I agree, I was at Safeco in July and it was amazing. We gotta get those garlic fries here!

About the turf, this one was supposed to be like real grass but it hasn't panned out that way, it still gets flattened and hard. Hopefully the next turf is better....although that old astroturf was murder.

donatolla
09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
The Dome itself doesn't have any significant problems, but it has lagged behind other ballparks in the league as being a nice place to be. Heck, I've been to minor league parks that have better environments to watch a game in.

Better turf will be nice, but I would really like to see them lighten up the concrete drabness of the Dome. Also, better food! This should be a no-brainer - it would be really neat to take advantage of the St. Lawrence market nearby and actually have some interesting local food inside the dome. Besides food, better seating would be nice....time to get rid of the uncomfortable plastic ones and bring in the comfy theatre seats!

StealingSigns
09-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, like it or not, we are stuck with this stadium for at least 20 more years.

The only way the Jays find themselves in a new stadium is if Toronto is successful in purchasing the Bills, and they build a new stadium.

marcre
09-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Well, like it or not, we are stuck with this stadium for at least 20 more years.

The only way the Jays find themselves in a new stadium is if Toronto is successful in purchasing the Bills, and they build a new stadium.

well, that better not happen. The Bills belong in Buffalo.

StealingSigns
09-14-2009, 12:30 AM
well, that better not happen. The Bills belong in Buffalo.

:nod: