PDA

View Full Version : 17 straight losing seasons

Pensx3
09-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, I looked at ESPN and the Pirates were one of the main stories...but sadly, it was an update on the Pirates losing to the Cardinals which would make it officially 17 losing seasons...

They are about to lose 10 in a row after that great home stand. On the bright side, maybe we can catch the Royals and Nats and have a good draft pick next year...

Its about that time of year to stop watching baseball because football is here and the Pens open up training campe is a week or so...It cant come soon enough

SenecaValley46
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Pirates are an embarassment to the city. Hopefully in the offseason they build a desire to win.

MetsLegacy
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
From watching Quick Pitch and MLB Tonight, it seems like the Pirates have a lot of the right pieces, but it's not fully together yet. The club is filled with young studs like McCutchen, but I really think there needs to be a few more veterans mixed in so the younger players can develop better. I don't think the Pirates are that far off from being a contending team.

burgh_fan66
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
sad sad day in Pittsburgh sports. 17 years, that is simply amazing. Think of all that has changed since then. Nothing amongst Pittsburgh sports hasn't changed.

No players on either the Steelers, Penguiins or Pirates remain the same. In fact the only player on any of those teams who was playing back then is Bill Guerin. The ownership of each club has changed (I know technicality on the Steelers: Dan to Art). Two stadiums have been built, one torn down. The only remaining building has under went a name change. And the building itself will soon be gone.

The only sports figure left is Mario Lemieux and he has went upstairs. Oh special note to LeBeau as well. I guess I have to include him too. He started his first tour about two months before the last winning season concluded.

And one more thought to leave you with. The hottest potential Pirate, Sano, was supposedly not even born when this streak started.

17 years is an insane amount of time. Its been a long long times but I have a feeling brighter days are ahead... I mean they have to be, right?

josemlozada
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that when Tony Sanchez, Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez are up things will start to change. I will put Alvarez on third and let Doumit on first because of his bat.

Tabata, Milledge, McCutchen will be a great outfield.

Chase d'Arnaud will be a nice SS. Some veterans for SP and two more tough veterans bats it will be a team to watch. Let's hope so your GM thinks like a lot of people here think and the Pirates start to win.

Viva Clementee!!!!!!!! :clap:

cre0530
09-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that when Tony Sanchez, Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez are up things will start to change. I will put Alvarez on third and let Doumit on first because of his bat.

Tabata, Milledge, McCutchen will be a great outfield.

Chase d'Arnaud will be a nice SS. Some veterans for SP and two more tough veterans bats it will be a team to watch. Let's hope so your GM thinks like a lot of people here think and the Pirates start to win.

Viva Clementee!!!!!!!! :clap:

Unfortunatly the GM does think like alot of people here which is why the pirates will never win while he is in charge. He will insist that Milledge start because he brought him in and the fact is he isn't close to the fielder Moss is and just as inconsistent at the plate. Oh joy he's hitting now another singles hitter who can't field. Those few plays he's made are the exception not the rule. Tabata on the otherhand may turn into a decent player but that will be more accident than shrewd dealings on Huntingtons part. With LaRoche, Cedeno and Young in the infield the pirates will lead the league in errors as Hill doesn't show much when he doesn't have star fielders to begin with.
Last but not least since the pirates have decreed that the organization all do things the same way so when JR insists the pirates do things wrong the entire organization learns to screw up as well. JR modified the wheel play so it never works, JR changed the hit and run so double plays against us are leading the league. JR takes the novel approach of putting players in the position to fail proven by how he experiments with the lineups and substituting at the wrong time every time, forcing all the other managers to follow his lead. The problem is this GM has never had any real responsibility on a winning team and never will unless the pirates bring in a real GM and they keep him on as a special advisore like the Indians did.

cre0530
09-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Gee I feel sorry for the Steeler's and Penquines as they don't know they play in the same small market city as the pirates do. If they knew they wouldn't work so hard at putting a winning team on the field/ice consistently.

theproof
09-14-2009, 02:28 AM
At least you guys are on the right track

DBR96A
09-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Steelers = :)
Penguins = :)
Pirates = :(

DBR96A
09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Oops...

burgh_fan66
09-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Gee I feel sorry for the Steeler's and Penquines as they don't know they play in the same small market city as the pirates do. If they knew they wouldn't work so hard at putting a winning team on the field/ice consistently.

Minor point but the penguins have not put a winning team on the ice consistently. In fact except for the late 80's and 90's (Mario Lemieux era) and the current years the franchise has been pretty poor.

Penguins .486 Winng percentage
Pirates: .505 Winning percentage
Steelers: .516 winning percentage

those are the franchise winning percentages. As you see the worse one is the Penguins.

So minor point I know but just showing that the Penguins do not consistently field a winning team.

RaiderDawg
10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Trade Zack Duke and a bunch of your good prospects for Manny Ramerez

dodgersuck
10-10-2009, 05:15 PM
you have to like the some of the pieces the pirates have...at elast theyre trying to get young and seriously rebuild

MooseWithFleas
10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Trade Zack Duke and a bunch of your good prospects for Manny Ramerez

This might be the worst idea I've ever heard. I don't even know who Manny Ramerez is.