PDA

View Full Version : Bryant, Duncan, Pierce, Nowitzki: Who will match Stockton's Durability & Longevity?

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 02:53 AM
John Stockton played 19 full seasons with the Utah Jazz. He retired at the age of 41.

Kobe Bryant has played 13 full seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers and will be entering his 14th full season with the ball club at the age of 31.

Tim Duncan has played 12 full seasons with the San Antonio Spurs and will be entering his 13th full season with the ball club at the age of 33.

Paul Pierce has played 11 full seasons with the Boston Celtics and will be entering his 12th full season with the ball club at the age of 32.

Dirk Nowitzki has played 11 full seasons with the Dallas Mavericks and will be entering his 12th full season with the ball club at the age of 31.

Will either Kobe, Duncan, or Pierce be able to stay with one team for the rest of their careers, and will they be able to match Stockton's record of 19 seasons with one ball club or surpass it?

I think when your contemplating everything, you have to take into account

1) the age

2) how much mileage the player has with nba experience

3) what is the current state of the team he is on (aka, championship caliber, just below champ caliber, playoff bound, lottery, rebuilding). Also, what the near future looks like for the state of the franchise when these franchise players start to decline.

4) personal goals of the individual

5) market they are playing in as well as the general economy of the US in the coming years

6) possible attractants and new opportunities from other cities/franchises that might take them away from where they are currently playing

7) whether or not the rest of the career for the player involves having the same coach (thus, not having to adjust to any new offensive or defensive system in their veteran yrs)

8) and of course, personal issues/tragedies/complications (which none of us can foresee).

Shady66
09-06-2009, 02:57 AM
I wouldnt put Kobe on that list, for the lone reason that he wanted to be traded a few years back.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 03:07 AM
I wouldnt put Kobe on that list, for the lone reason that he wanted to be traded a few years back.

lol, just stop. in basketball, and for that matter, life in general, there is always gonna be talks, speculations, this & that, blah blah blah, but until any of that is actually done or carried out in the manner it is meant to be, at the end of the day, its doesn't matter for ******.

JerseysFinest
09-06-2009, 03:11 AM
timmy d likely will
kobe probably
pierce probably, but if the big three deterioates with age, will pierce demand to be out?
same goes 4 kobe, because when gasol and odom and fisher can't produce any longer, will he bolt?

WITZ
09-06-2009, 03:13 AM

Agreed asking for a trade ,bad mouthing a teammate in a parking lot doesn't equal loyalty.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Agreed asking for a trade ,bad mouthing a teammate in a parking lot doesn't equal loyalty.

Yeah, pretty much. There was a point in time when Kobe didn't want to be a Laker. Which should completely disqualify him from this list.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Yeah, pretty much. There was a point in time when Kobe didn't want to be a Laker. Which should completely disqualify him from this list.

"Sometimes, it takes pressure to create a diamond."

-Kobe Bryant upon receiving the League's MVP Award, May 2008

BkOriginalOne
09-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Kobe has is the most fundamently sound - so he's most likely.
Duncan is a big man, so no.
Pierce will end around 38.

_KB24_
09-06-2009, 03:19 AM

Kobe always wanted to be a Laker. He was upest over that whole saga that developed 2 summers and did ask for a trade but that was due to FO issues, nothing to with playing for them. That same night where he asked for a trade demand, he said that he wanted to be a "Laker for life".

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 03:21 AM
"Hey Kobe, let's have a bet on whoz gonna end up being traded first."

-Paul Pierce in a pick-up game at UCLA with Kobe Bryant in the Summer of 2007.

(Of course I manuactured the quote, but this was what was discussed per Kobe right b4 the 2008 NBA Finals began. Both Bryant and Pierce (b4 getting KG and RayRay) were in trade speculations almost the entire 07 summer)

WITZ
09-06-2009, 03:24 AM
But did pierce demand a trade is the question?

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:26 AM

Then Tim Duncan and Paul Pierce shouldn't be on the list either. He got closer to leaving his team (the Spurs) for another team (The Magic) than either Kobe or Pierce. Pierce also demanded a trade by the way.

:eyebrow:

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:26 AM

"I would like to be traded." - Kobe Bryant

"Trade me." - Kobe Bryant

etc.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:27 AM

There was a point in time when Duncan did not want to be a Spur and Pierce did not want to be a Celtic.

Lets stop the double standards now and start to view history accurately and fairly.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Then Tim Duncan and Paul Pierce shouldn't be on the list either. He got closer to leaving his team (the Spurs) for another team (The Magic) than either Kobe or Pierce. Pierce also demanded a trade by the way.

:eyebrow:

I thought he did. I couldn't remember for sure if he did though, so I was a little afraid to bring it up. :o

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:31 AM
I thought he did. I couldn't remember for sure if he did though, so I was a little afraid to bring it up. :o

History is history. If you want to bring down another player, then read up on the facts on every player.

All three of these players got dangerously close to leaving their team. Duncan, the one who is supposedly the most loyal, came closest. Bryant was traded twice by the Lakers with Bryant actually vetoing both trades to STAY with the Lakers. Pierce pushed for a trade with the Celtics until they acquired Allen and Garnett.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:32 AM
There was a point in time when Duncan did not want to be a Spur and Pierce did not want to be a Celtic.

Lets stop the double standards now and start to view history accurately and fairly.

Duncan never came out and said he didn't want to be a Spur. A player wanting to test free agency is by no way being disloyal, the player just wants to test the market and see whats out there. Demanding a trade though? That's another story.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:33 AM
History is history. If you want to bring down another player, then read up on the facts on every player.

All three of these players got dangerously close to leaving their team. Duncan, the one who is supposedly the most loyal, came closest. Bryant was traded twice by the Lakers with Bryant actually vetoing both trades to STAY with the Lakers. Pierce pushed for a trade with the Celtics until they acquired Allen and Garnett.

The reason Kobe vetoed those trades, is because Luol Deng was involved in both deals. Not because he was doing the Lakers organization any type of a special service.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Duncan never came out and said he didn't want to be a Spur. A player wanting to test free agency is by no way being disloyal, the player just wants to test the market and see whats out there. Demanding a trade though? That's another story.

Not at all. In fact, coming extremely close to signing with another team (that was already highly successful) is much, much more disloyal than demanding a trade from a team in which the owner blatantly lied to you, the GM lied to you, and your teammates were extremely inadequate. In one case, the team was loyal to the player and yet the player entertained offers. In the other case, the team blatantly lied and failed to produce on their end so the player wanted to leave and, more importantly, win and be successful.

Either way, Duncan stayed with the Spurs when he had his option and Kobe stayed with the Lakers when he had his option (he was traded, but used his no trade clause). They have both exhibited loyalty.

Lets move on with the thread.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:45 AM
You my friend are dead on. I didn't know much history of Duncan almost going to Orlando, thanx for the info.

My my how the tables have turned, eh Kobe-haters????

(no offense to any TD or Spurs fans)

Don't worry. There is no offense. Spurs fans know their history and what (almost) happened. The fact is, is that it "almost" happened. In the end, Duncan decided he would rather be a Spur. Similarly, Pierce decided he would rather be a Celtic and Kobe decided he would rather be a Laker.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Don't worry. There is no offense. Spurs fans know their history and what (almost) happened. The fact is, is that it "almost" happened. In the end, Duncan decided he would rather be a Spur. Similarly, Pierce decided he would rather be a Celtic and Kobe decided he would rather be a Laker.

Unless, of course, Luol Deng wasn't involved in the trade. And then he would have rather been a Chicago Bull. But I guess we'll just let that go.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Getting back on the topic...

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Not at all. In fact, coming extremely close to signing with another team (that was already highly successful) is much, much more disloyal than demanding a trade from a team in which the owner blatantly lied to you, the GM lied to you, and your teammates were extremely inadequate. In one case, the team was loyal to the player and yet the player entertained offers. In the other case, the team blatantly lied and failed to produce on their end so the player wanted to leave and, more importantly, win and be successful.

Either way, Duncan stayed with the Spurs when he had his option and Kobe stayed with the Lakers when he had his option (he was traded, but used his no trade clause). They have both exhibited loyalty.

When was Duncan "close to leaving the Spurs"? Granted, his free agency was more then a few years ago, but I don't ever recall hearing that he was close to leaving the Spurs. I do remember him testing free agency, but that's about it. I never, ever, EVER, heard him say anything along the lines of "I would like to be traded" or "I would no longer like to be a member of the San Antonio Spurs".

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 03:52 AM
When was Duncan "close to leaving the Spurs"? Granted, his free agency was more then a few years ago, but I don't ever recall hearing that he was close to leaving the Spurs. I do remember him testing free agency, but that's about it. I never, ever, EVER, heard him say anything along the lines of "I would like to be traded" or "I would no longer like to be a member of the San Antonio Spurs".

lol, he said let's move on with the actual topic at hand, and ur reverting back to 3-4 arguments ago. discuss the topic.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:54 AM
lol, he said let's move on with the actual topic at hand, and ur reverting back to 3-4 arguments ago. discuss the topic.

I was just replying to what he said. I don't see anything wrong with that.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Unless, of course, Luol Deng wasn't involved in the trade. And then he would have rather been a Chicago Bull. But I guess we'll just let that go.

Tim Duncan also had his requests that weren't carried out by the Magic (dumbasses, first Shaq and then Duncan...appease greatness!).

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:56 AM

He never wanted to be traded. He wanted to live via free agency. Duh.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Tim Duncan also had his requests that weren't carried out by the Magic (dumbasses, first Shaq and then Duncan...appease greatness!).

Can this be proven? Or are you just pulling **** out of your ***.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Can this be proven? Or are you just pulling **** out of your ***.

Tim Duncan unexpectedly announced on the eve of Game 2 that his decision in 2000 to spurn free-agent riches from the Magic to stay with the Spurs "was probably a lot closer decision than people even think or even know."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070610

I know my NBA history. :eyebrow: Duncan got EXTREMELY close to signing with the Magic. In fact, it was almost a sure-fire, book-it deal.

Sox Appeal
09-06-2009, 04:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-070610

I know my NBA history. :eyebrow: Duncan got EXTREMELY close to signing with the Magic. In fact, it was almost a sure-fire, book-it deal.

Looks that way. If Duncan truly wanted to leave the Spurs, don't you think he would have outright left, or requested a trade at some point in his career? I mean, Kobe almost left the Lakers for the Clippers, and Jordan came dangerously close to leaving the Bulls for the Knicks in the mid-90's.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 04:07 AM
Looks that way. If Duncan truly wanted to leave the Spurs, don't you think he would have outright left, or requested a trade at some point in his career? I mean, Kobe almost left the Lakers for the Clippers, and Jordan came dangerously close to leaving the Bulls for the Knicks in the mid-90's.

Every player entertains offers because they can and because it is within their rights. Just like you, myself, and many others entertain other job offers and pursue other opportunities in our particular line of work. Does that make us disloyal to our current company? No. It simply makes us human beings who are looking to do the best thing for themselves and for their family. At the same time, we will do our best to appease the company while we currently work with them.

Boston Faithful
09-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Kobe will finish his career as a Laker, Tim Duncan will finish as a Spur and Paul Pierce as a Celtic. This isn't football and they aren't Brett Farve. In football, players (alot of the time) end up finishing somewhere else.

I don't think Duncan or Pierce will make it to 19 seasons. They probably both will retire at 37 or 38 which will leave them at 17 or 18 seasons.

Kobe will probably surpass Stockton. I can see him playing for seven more years.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 04:09 AM
SoxAppeal and Armin12NBA, I know you guys are having a really good conversation, and I hate to break it up, but can we stay back on topic??? Thanks.

Boston Faithful
09-06-2009, 04:10 AM

That's exaggeration. Jordan didn't come dangerously close. He didn't even come close, the Knicks had a huge offer and Jordan said 'thanks but no thanks'.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 04:17 AM
That's exaggeration. Jordan didn't come dangerously close. He didn't even come close, the Knicks had a huge offer and Jordan said 'thanks but no thanks'.

oh great, just when one conversation is about to end, someone butts in to continue on with that conversation, when it has little to nothing to do with the thread!

The Blue Baller
09-06-2009, 04:24 AM

I'm sorry, and no offense, but that's a really stupid quote.

All he did was take a popular proverb and dumb it up by adding 'sometimes.'

And with the bashing of his teammates and trade demands aside, it's pretty tough to defend the guy's loyalty when he cheated on his wife. You can say that's irrelevant, as it has nothing to do with basketball, but I don't think it's a stretch to call his loyalty to his teammates into serious question when he can't even stay loyal to the woman he vowed to spend the rest of his life with.

I say no to durability as well. Stockton's role as a PG relied heavily on the mental aspect of the game-- you really can't guard things like court vision. However, Kobe's primary role as the SG is to score, and he relies on athleticism to find the open shot. As his body ages, his effectiveness in that area will wane. I just don't see him playing into his 40's... that's a tall order for any SG.

So I say no... and no to Pierce and Duncan as well.

ARMIN12NBA
09-06-2009, 04:29 AM
And with the bashing of his teammates and trade demands aside, it's pretty tough to defend the guy's loyalty when he cheated on his wife. You can say that's irrelevant, as it has nothing to do with basketball, but I don't think it's a stretch to call his loyalty to his teammates into serious question when he can't even stay loyal to the woman he vowed to spend the rest of his life with.

There is no comparisons between the two situations:

In one, Kobe made a stupid and horrible mistake.

In the other, he was right in his action and desperately wanted to be successful at his job. It is completely and utterly within his rights to want to be a winner and play with a winner especially when the owner and GM blatantly lied to his face.

How can you expect "loyalty" (which is a stupid term for business anyways) when his owner and GM were never "loyal" to him?

LakersIn5
09-06-2009, 05:31 AM

unless, of course kg and ray wasnt traded to the celtics then pierce wouldnt rather be a celtic

after a year or 2 when pierce decreases his talent he will be a journey man just like shaq and AI. Pierce is even lucky to be in the same groups as those guys. pierce was just a normal allstar before KG and ray allen came. tmac and vc are better than him and 2 years ago people would completely agree with me but with pierce winning the championship people's outlook on pierce became different cuz of KG and ray making pierce look better but in reality he is still the same player 2 years ago.

JayW_1023
09-06-2009, 05:56 AM
When it comes to loyalty, Reggie Miller deserves a mention or two. He could've easily decided on riding the coattails of other stars to win a ring but he chose not to.

bbcmillionaire
09-06-2009, 06:27 AM
lol wow, tom duncan is the best pf ever, nothing can take that from him.
but back to the topic, i remember when the lakers fan base was dissing kobe when he was close to coming to the bulls(trust me, as a bulls fan i monitored that situation closely). im not trying to start a war with the"all of a sudden fans of paul peirce and kobe", but timmy is the most loyal out of those 3. Followed by peirce then kobe

bbcmillionaire
09-06-2009, 06:29 AM
When it comes to loyalty, Reggie Miller deserves a mention or two. He could've easily decided on riding the coattails of other stars to win a ring but he chose not to.

touche, top 3 clutch of all time, maybe number 1............nawl it gotta be mike:p

lexworld2009
09-06-2009, 07:00 AM
yeah there was a time Kobe didn't want to be in LA, but I recall Duncan alomost left to Orlando, so loyalty is about the all mighty dollar in sports and both of these players stayed in there teams for the money, and pierce was a few times close to being traded out of boston

magichatnumber9
09-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't put Kobe on that list, for the lone reason that he wanted to be traded a few years back.
Many people don't remember just how childish and selfish Kobe was when he was hassling Jerry for a trade and doing just about anything to destroy his image. But we still have to remember that Paul Pierce also gave the Celtics an informal ultimatum, and showed some signs of malcontent and childishness when things were not going well for him also. So lets stop this signaling out of just Kobe here because it's not fair to the argument. Tim Duncan on the other hand might as well be the Tim Tebow of the NBA

bigsams50
09-06-2009, 11:36 AM
There is no comparisons between the two situations:

In one, Kobe made a stupid and horrible mistake.

In the other, he was right in his action and desperately wanted to be successful at his job. It is completely and utterly within his rights to want to be a winner and play with a winner especially when the owner and GM blatantly lied to his face.

How can you expect "loyalty" (which is a stupid term for business anyways) when his owner and GM were never "loyal" to him?

you cant say he was right in dissin his teammates. thats just absurd

Corey
09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Just for the record: Pierce never publicly demanded a thing. He never asked to be traded, he never asked to be cut loose, he never said anything bad about the front office or his coaches unless it was behind closed doors in a 1-1 conversation.

The only think Pierce ever asked for was the role players for a chance to win a championship.

jimbobjarree
09-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Pierce doesnt have the durability. Tim D is for sure, and prolly Kobe

theuuord
09-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Pierce has been on the disabled list once this whole decade.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 12:27 PM
John Stockton played 19 full seasons with the Utah Jazz. He retired at the age of 41.

Kobe Bryant has played 13 full seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers and will be entering his 14th full season with the ball club at the age of 31.

Tim Duncan has played 12 full seasons with the San Antonio Spurs and will be entering his 13th full season with the ball club at the age of 33.

Paul Pierce has played 11 full seasons with the Boston Celtics and will be entering his 12th full season with the ball club at the age of 32.

Will either Kobe, Duncan, or Pierce be able to stay with one team for the rest of their careers, and will they be able to match Stockton's record of 19 seasons with one ball club or surpass it?

1) the age

3) what is the current state of the team he is on (aka, championship caliber, just below champ caliber, playoff bound, lottery, rebuilding). Also, what the near future looks like for the state of the franchise when these franchise players start to decline.

5) market they are playing in as well as the general economy of the US in the coming years

6) possible attractants and new opportunities from other cities/franchises that might take them away from where they are currently playing

7) whether or not the rest of the career for the player involves having the same coach (thus, not having to adjust to any new offensive or defensive system in their veteran yrs)

8) and of course, personal issues/tragedies/complications (which none of us can foresee).

Kobe's going to be a lakerforlife. but i have a feeling that when he gets really old (38-39 y/o) he may want to come back to satisfy his competitive juices at which point, he may sign for another team just for the fun of it.

i think duncan however will stay retired when his time is up. i can see his career playing out just like david robinson.

pierce? not sure, i think he'll get traded for salary purposes at the end of his career.

op12
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
they all have been loyal overall. even through the bad times they stuck with the teams in the end, even though there was some heat. the arguing on here is silly, all 3 nearly left with kobes being made very public, followed by td discussions to orl, and pierces made not so public, but it was known he wanted help or a trade. this makes stockton more loyal than all 3 in my book. but they are all going to be viewed highly when they retire because they did stick with their team.

mrblisterdundee
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Kobe Bryant matches in durability, but not loyalty. He pulled the I-want-a-trade card. Despite the fact that he was dealing with a stingy owner, that still wasn't the loyalty of John Stockton.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Kobe demandd a trade.

I have never heard of Duncan complaining and speaking out to the public about being traded or leaving so I put him there.

I'm not sure about Peirce.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM

He was involved in a bar fight and got stabbed 11 times in the face, back and neck then got a bottle smashed over his head. He got surgery. This happened in late September 2000(1 month away from season opener) and still played 82 games.

Durable enough for you?

theuuord
09-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Kobe and Peirce demanded traded. I wouldn't put the

I have never heard of Duncan complaining and speaking out to the public about being traded or leaving so I put him there.

When did Pierce demand a trade?

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM
When did Pierce demand a trade?

My bad. I read it the other way around. It was Celtics trying to get rid of him and not Peirce wanting to leave.

BradHolt4CYoung
09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I think the only one on that list that matches Stocktons Durability AND LOYALTY is Paul Pierce. Kobe has the durability but he ran Shaq out of town they could of won a couple more rings. Duncan is slowing down I dont think he is durable enough too play for as long as stockton did. Pierce stayed with his team in the good and the bad and plays through pain

theuuord
09-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I think the only one on that list that matches Stocktons Durability AND LOYALTY is Paul Pierce. Kobe has the durability but he ran Shaq out of town they could of won a couple more rings. Duncan is slowing down I dont think he is durable enough too play for as long as stockton did. Pierce stayed with his team in the good and the bad and plays through pain

a) I'm pretty sure Shaq ran himself out of town (or, at the very least, the FO chose Kobe over Shaq), so that wasn't Kobe's fault.
b) Duncan hasn't shown any signs of really slowing down yet.

BradHolt4CYoung
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
a) I'm pretty sure Shaq ran himself out of town (or, at the very least, the FO chose Kobe over Shaq), so that wasn't Kobe's fault.
b) Duncan hasn't shown any signs of really slowing down yet.

but he just wont pkay 19 seasons. he needs 7 more, thats not gonna happen.

Kobe and Shaq didn't get along I guess it was both there faults, but when you put it this way- if Kobe was replaced by Pierce WOULD BE Shaq's teammate THERE IS NO WAY EITHER ONE OF THEM WOULD BE TRADED.

theuuord
09-06-2009, 01:38 PM
but he just wont pkay 19 seasons. he needs 7 more, thats not gonna happen.

Firstly, what makes you think that? It's not out of the realm of possibility that Duncan plays seven more seasons. Secondly, even if he didn't, how does that make him less loyal?

Kobe and Shaq didn't get along I guess it was both there faults, but when you put it this way- if Kobe was replaced by Pierce WOULD BE Shaq's teammate THERE IS NO WAY EITHER ONE OF THEM WOULD BE TRADED.

I'm not quite sure what the point of that is.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Duncan can still average 15 and 7 at age 40.

He plays fundamentally and fundamental never wear down.

Raph12
09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Duncan is the most consistant player of all-time, playing as well as he did from the day he was drafted, til today at the age of 33, his game remains the same and so does his passion.

ink
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
All three for durability, Pierce and Duncan for loyalty. For personal traits I don't think Kobe can be looked on as exemplary. That's where he has been most lacking in the past even if he has pulled it together in the last year or two.

ink
09-06-2009, 01:50 PM
lol, just stop. in basketball, and for that matter, life in general, there is always gonna be talks, speculations, this & that, blah blah blah, but until any of that is actually done or carried out in the manner it is meant to be, at the end of the day, its doesn't matter for ******.

It does actually.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Just for the record: Pierce never asked to be traded, he never asked to be cut loose, he never said anything bad about the front office or his coaches unless it was behind closed doors in a 1-1 conversation.

BOSTON - Last summer both of them wanted to be traded.

Now both Kobe Bryant and Paul Pierce are excited beyond belief that their respective franchises didn't heed their wishes.

And what makes it all the more interesting is that Bryant and Pierce talked about their situations while playing pickup basketball at UCLA last summer.

Bryant had been more open about his demand that the Lakers trade him. Pierce was quiet, but he wanted out of Boston just the same.

Now Bryant and the Lakers are about to play Pierce and his Celtics for the NBA title.

How does Bryant feel about that?

"Stunned," Bryant responded. "I think we both are shocked in a pleasant way. We talked about a lot of things. We talked about who was getting traded first. I guess that's one thing that I'm happy I did not win."

The Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, and suddenly Pierce was part of a team that won 66 games, a record 42-game improvement over the previous season.

"I remember us saying neither one of us thought we'd be back with our team," Pierce said of his conversations with Bryant. "I remember I was just betting who would get to another team first, because he felt strongly about moving on with the Lakers and I felt the same with Boston. So it's kind of ironic that we're in this position on the same teams playing each other for a championship."

yep. pierce wanted to be traded

theuuord
09-06-2009, 01:54 PM

there's a big difference between requesting a trade and expecting to be traded. that article doesn't say anything about him looking to be moved other than the reporter making unsourced remarks.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
there's a big difference between requesting a trade and expecting to be traded. that article doesn't say anything about him looking to be moved other than the reporter making unsourced remarks.

read the very first paragraph and try again sir

Illuminati999
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM

I get the feeling had Kobe left after he cried for a trade, you would be singing a completely different tune right now. I don't see loyalty as staying with a team only when they win. I see loyalty as someone who stays with a team even when they hit rock bottom. I see loyalty as a willingness to take on less money to stay with your organization to create a better team. I see loyalty as not wanting to bolt because your team could barely make the playoffs.

When talking about loyalty, his name shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Stockton, Big Z, and Dirk Nowitzki.

theuuord
09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
read the very first paragraph and try again sir

Read what I said about unsourced remarks.
It's nice to succeed twice though, I'd say.

ink
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM

For starters you didn't provide a link - http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_05.41857da.html .

Turns out it's a community newspaper from California with a circulation of under 200,000. First of all, they're going to have a bias, and second of all, as theuuword says, the reporter doesn't even quote anyone directly about Pierce. Not a great source.

Illuminati999
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Hence why Dirk Nowitzki is probably the most loyal active superstar today! :)

theuuord
09-06-2009, 02:07 PM
For starters you didn't provide a link - http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_notes_05.41857da.html .

Turns out it's a community newspaper from California with a circulation of under 200,000. First of all, they're going to have a bias, and second of all, as theuuword says, the reporter doesn't even quote anyone directly about Pierce. Not a great source.

lol. i gotta change my name to just "theword."

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM

ummmm. the record for most consecutive seasons with 1 team is john stockton. we're comparing these 3 current players to the guy who holds the record. stop taking the conversation to another direction!

Illuminati999
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
yeah there was a time Kobe didn't want to be in LA, but I recall Duncan alomost left to Orlando, so loyalty is about the all mighty dollar in sports and both of these players stayed in there teams for the money, and pierce was a few times close to being traded out of boston

Unless you consider Dirk and his willingness to take on less money to sign a better player.

ink
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Hence why Dirk Nowitzki is probably the most loyal active superstar today! :)

I agree with that. Dirk has been amazingly professional throughout his career, right up there with Duncan IMO.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 02:14 PM
but back to the topic, i remember when the lakers fan base was dissing kobe when he was close to coming to the bulls(trust me, as a bulls fan i monitored that situation closely). im not trying to start a war with the"all of a sudden fans of paul peirce and kobe", but timmy is the most loyal out of those 3. Followed by peirce then kobe

:confused: who dat? lol

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Wow, ur just not getting this thread r u?

Loyalty as in stayin with the same organization for the rest of ur career. and u didn't even mention the most important part...durability!!

Question: Will they surpass Stockton's record of 19 consecutive seasons with 1 nba team???

Understand the thread, then post, thanx

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
WARNING: I apologize. I did not include Dirk Nowitzki for this topic, so here it is...

Dirk Nowitzki has played 11 full seasons with the Dallas Mavericks and will be entering his 12th full season with the ball club at the age of 31.

ink
09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
You know what ko8e24? If your title had been:

Match John Stockton's Durability & Longevity with one team?

... then the thread would have been clearer. Now I get it. Longevity is what you're after.

If you're asking THAT question, I'd say that Kobe, Dirk, Duncan and Pierce all have a shot at it. Although 19 years is a hell of a long time.

tonyd3b54
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
pierce never openly said anything about wanting to be traded... everything thats been printed about that has been just pure speculation about a star on a bad team in a big market who is obivously tired of losing... pierce did tell the front office to bring in some good players and they did...

back on topic i dont think that any of these players will ever play for another team. i think kobe would be the most likely but only if the lakers sudden fell to crap wen kobe is still a top player in the league(not likely)... duncan i think will stay with the spurs but he wont beat stocktons record because its just alot harder for a 7 footer to stay in top physical condition that long. its not his fault just physics... i can see pierce breaking stocktons record and possibly kobe only because pierce has never relied on athleticism to be the player he is, hes all about foot work and getting u to lean the wrong way then its over... and i think kobe can possibly do it cuz hes just a freak guy and hes shown no signs of losing any of that athleticism yet.

so in summary....

all stay with their current teams and the best chance to break stocktons record goes pierce kobe duncan in that order...

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
You know what ko8e24? If your title had been:

Match John Stockton's Durability & Longevity with one team?

... then the thread would have been clearer. Now I get it. Longevity is what you're after.

If you're asking THAT question, I'd say that Kobe, Dirk, Duncan and Pierce all have a shot at it. Although 19 years is a hell of a long time.

lol, that is wut i meant to say. since ur a mod, could u possibly change the title of the thread to what u stated above??? thanx

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 02:53 PM

:facepalm:

a source is a source. id take a community newspaper w/ a circulation of 200,000 over your assumption that paul pierce did'nt privately asked for a trade.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Read what I said about unsourced remarks.
It's nice to succeed twice though, I'd say.

"I remember us saying neither one of us thought we'd be back with our team," Pierce said of his conversations with Bryant. "I remember I was just betting who would get to another team first, because he felt strongly about moving on with the Lakers and I felt the same with Boston. So it's kind of ironic that we're in this position on the same teams playing each other for a championship."

the source WAS paul pierce himself

theuuord
09-06-2009, 03:15 PM

the source WAS paul pierce himself

that doesn't mean he requested a trade. that meant he felt strongly that he was going to be moved.

this isn't rocket science.

ink
09-06-2009, 03:33 PM

a source is a source. id take a community newspaper w/ a circulation of 200,000 over your assumption that paul pierce did'nt privately asked for a trade.

No, you have that wrong. A source is not a source. The internet is full of garbage sources and it's easy to tell the good from the bad. The only ones making assumptions are the journalists who aren't professional enough to cite sources and quote people in articles. Basically if a person is not quoted directly it is hearsay and doesn't mean ****. Any reputable publication should know that. Since the article fails to publish a single quote it means nothing. It's just a puff piece about the upcoming playoffs at the time.

ink
09-06-2009, 03:36 PM
that doesn't mean he requested a trade. that meant he felt strongly that he was going to be moved.

this isn't rocket science.

Exactly.

And since ko8e24 made it clear a few posts ago that he didn't mean "loyalty", he meant "longevity", it changes the whole thread. The disagreement about who's loyal to their franchise is off-topic.

He meant WHO WILL MATCH STOCKTON'S DURABILITY AND LONGEVITY WITH ONE TEAM?

That has nothing to do with being loyal or asking for trades.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
No, you have that wrong. A source is not a source. The internet is full of garbage sources and it's easy to tell the good from the bad. The only ones making assumptions are the journalists who aren't professional enough to cite sources and quote people in articles. Basically if a person is not quoted directly it is hearsay and doesn't mean ****. Any reputable publication should know that. Since the article fails to publish a single quote it means nothing. It's just a puff piece about the upcoming playoffs at the time.

Raph12
09-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Jerry Sloan and the Jazz (never said it had to be a player)

LakePackYank
09-06-2009, 04:14 PM

wow. i have never seen a mod this...

nah nevermind, it's not worth it. ill just give the :facepalm: and :down: smiley and be on my way.

ink
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM

I see you know how to use the facepalm smiley. Anyone does, but it's not much of an argument. Do you know anything about the media?? Apparently not.

Illuminati999
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
lol, that is wut i meant to say. since ur a mod, could u possibly change the title of the thread to what u stated above??? thanx

Seeing as you're a Laker/Kobe Bryant fan, smart move to have the mod erase the "loyalty" from the title of the thread, otherwise Dirk would have been hands down the most loyal superstar.

ink
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
wow. i have never seen a mod this...

nah nevermind, it's not worth it. ill just give the :facepalm: and :down: smiley and be on my way.

What, a mod who knows about the media? I've made my living in broadcasting and new media for the last 12 years. I should know. lol.

What I'm talking about is Journalism 101. It's basic.

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 04:25 PM
you just contradicted yourself there...

ps. pls dont edit my posts. lets keep it civil here.

ink
09-06-2009, 04:27 PM
you just conflicted yourself there...

How did I "conflict" myself? :rolleyes:

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Seeing as you're a Laker/Kobe Bryant fan, smart move to have the mod erase the "loyalty" from the title of the thread, otherwise Dirk would have been hands down the most loyal superstar.

Dude, don't challenge me. There's your ordinary Laker fan, and then, therez me. U're climbing up the wrong tree bro. Just stop.

(PS: I got nothing against dirk, just ur ignorant post)

TannerOwnsDevin
09-06-2009, 04:53 PM
How did I "conflict" myself? :rolleyes:

wow, now you edit my post? , thats pathetic. btw its contradict not conflict :facepalm:

ink
09-06-2009, 04:55 PM
wow, now you edit my post? , thats pathetic. btw its contradict not conflict :facepalm:

you just contracted yourself there...

ps. pls dont edit my posts. lets keep it civil here.

I didn't edit your post dude. I quoted it directly, then you changed it and accused me. btw, since you're playing fast and loose with the truth I've posted your latest change. You just wrote "contracted" instead of "contradicted". lol. No, I did not contradict myself or edit your post. Please stick to the facts and stop with the false accusations.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I didn't edit your post dude. I quoted it directly, then you changed it and accused me. btw, since you're playing fast and loose with the truth I've posted your latest change. You just wrote "contracted" instead of "contradicted". lol. No, I did not contradict myself or edit your post. Please stick to the facts and stop with the false accusations.

I guess now the question is...what did Tanner really contract from himself, lol

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
o and thanx INK for changing the title of the thread, appreciate it

ink
09-06-2009, 05:23 PM
o and thanx INK for changing the title of the thread, appreciate it

No problem. With the new focus of thread, you have to look at the health of the 4 players and figure out which one of them is likely to stay healthiest. I don't know, but I wouldn't bet against Kobe's durability. Dirk also seems like he could go for another half dozen years. But 19 years is a long time. That's almost as long as Robert Parrish's NBA record of 21 years.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
No problem. With the new focus of thread, you have to look at the health of the 4 players and figure out which one of them is likely to stay healthiest. I don't know, but I wouldn't bet against Kobe's durability. Dirk also seems like he could go for another half dozen years. But 19 years is a long time. That's almost as long as Robert Parrish's NBA record of 21 years.

rite, but Parish bounced around after his time with the C's

theuuord
09-06-2009, 05:26 PM
What, a mod who knows about the media? I've made my living in broadcasting and new media for the last 12 years. I should know. lol.

What I'm talking about is Journalism 101. It's basic.

exactly. i never even took a journalism class and i know this. it's the first lesson of the press that the press will lie to you in some form. come on, people.

ink
09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
rite, but Parish bounced around after his time with the C's

True enough. That's why Stockton's feat is so amazing. Not only is it hard to stay healthy and productive for that long, it's also hard to stay with the same team.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 05:56 PM
True enough. That's why Stockton's feat is so amazing. Not only is it hard to stay healthy and productive for that long, it's also hard to stay with the same team.

do u know of any other current nba players that come to mind that have stayed with 1 team their entire career for 10+ yrs, or are almost approaching that 10 yr mark?

D-Will4Prez
09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
None of them will play a 19th season.

LakePackYank
09-06-2009, 09:01 PM
None of them will play a 19th season.

kobe will be only 36 in his 19th season. out of the 3 players, he has the most chance to play as long or much longer then john stockton did.

ChiSox219
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Derrick Rose

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Derrick Rose

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ChiSox219
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

He's from Chicago
As a franchise player he will be locked up until his skill diminishes
Older players have had plenty of success play PG, Billups
Rose is down to earth and let's his game speak

blazerman
09-06-2009, 10:03 PM

What do you mean just stop, you posted the thread and the guy gave you his opinion and now you want to tell him to just stop.

You only post stuff to get Kobe or the Lakers praise anyway so whats the point. I suppose Im a hater now because I spoke up, huh!

All of those players have had long careers with one team and probably will add at least 3 more yrs each before retirement,free agency or a chance of scenery happens. I doubt any of them reach 19yrs with one team.

I hope Kobe does stay with the Lakers for 19 yrs because he will count at least 30 million against the cap and wont be a 10th of the player he is now and the Blazers will run all over them(just like they do now in Portland)

theuuord
09-06-2009, 10:16 PM
He's from Chicago
As a franchise player he will be locked up until his skill diminishes
Older players have had plenty of success play PG, Billups
Rose is down to earth and let's his game speak

I'd wait until he signs an extension before anointing him in this fashion. Or at least plays more than a year.

ChiSox219
09-06-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd wait until he signs an extension before anointing him in this fashion. Or at least plays more than a year.

Fair enough

But he's not going anywhere for a loooooong time.Unless OKC wants to unload KD ;)

theuuord
09-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Fair enough

But he's not going anywhere for a loooooong time.Unless OKC wants to unload KD ;)

I hope so, for your sake. He's a great fit in Chicago. It's just that lifetime players for any squad are really unlikely. Rose could be one of those guys. (Hopefully Brook will be, for at least a decade anyway.)

ChiSox219
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I hope so, for your sake. He's a great fit in Chicago. It's just that lifetime players for any squad are really unlikely. Rose could be one of those guys. (Hopefully Brook will be, for at least a decade anyway.)

This makes me think, what is keeping Lebron in Cleveland other than him growing up nearby? I know he can get an extra year and more $$$, but something tells me Nike will offset the difference if he plays in NY or the CHI

theuuord
09-06-2009, 10:26 PM
This makes me think, what is keeping Lebron in Cleveland other than him growing up nearby? I know he can get an extra year and more $$$, but something tells me Nike will offset the difference if he plays in NY or the CHI

Well if LeBron leaves Cleveland is probably going to riot, so there's that. As for Nike, not exactly, but yes, endorsements will go up in the NY market.

No one knows what LeBron will do until the ink is dried. I'm trying not to concern myself with it.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 10:32 PM
What do you mean just stop, you posted the thread and the guy gave you his opinion and now you want to tell him to just stop.

You only post stuff to get Kobe or the Lakers praise anyway so whats the point. I suppose Im a hater now because I spoke up, huh!
All of those players have had long careers with one team and probably will add at least 3 more yrs each before retirement,free agency or a chance of scenery happens. I doubt any of them reach 19yrs with one team.

I hope Kobe does stay with the Lakers for 19 yrs because he will count at least 30 million against the cap and wont be a 10th of the player he is now and the Blazers will run all over them(just like they do now in Portland)

that was not my intention, and no, you're not a hater. u are entitled to ur opinion.

AllTheWay
09-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Derrick Rose

He's been in the league one year, he doesn't belong within light years of this topic.

Lakergirl24
09-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Kobe because of the way he takes care of his body

bigsams50
09-06-2009, 11:26 PM
if minnesota wasnt so stubborn to put good players around kg, he would be in this conversation

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
if minnesota wasnt so stubborn to put good players around kg, he would be in this conversation

ya, in fact, i think he got 1 yr on kobe, so if he had good team wid t'wolves and stayed, he would be the current player with most seasons with 1 franchise (minny) with 14, going on 15.

bigsams50
09-06-2009, 11:48 PM
ya, in fact, i think he got 1 yr on kobe, so if he had good team wid t'wolves and stayed, he would be the current player with most seasons with 1 franchise (minny) with 14, going on 15.

i dont c y they couldnt

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 11:51 PM
i dont c y they couldnt

it truly is a shame :pity:

screw mchale and glen taylor. atleast this gm kahn guy is trying to do something to revive this franchise. hiring kurt, laimbeer and theus were great moves, drafting flynn was great, rubio........not so much (but we'll see), and in about 5-6 days, if there is no matching of the offer, ramon sessions will be the newest T'wolve.

bigsams50
09-06-2009, 11:56 PM
it truly is a shame :pity:

screw mchale and glen taylor. atleast this gm kahn guy is trying to do something to revive this franchise. hiring kurt, laimbeer and theus were great moves, drafting flynn was great, rubio........not so much (but we'll see), and in about 5-6 days, if there is no matching of the offer, ramon sessions will be the newest T'wolve.

i agree man, mchale didnt do **** for kg, he brought in an old cassell and sprewell, but after that, nothing. he also sucked with the draft.

ko8e24
09-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Well,ultimately my guess is that Kobe will indeed play out 20 yrs and retire a Laker.

I actually see Duncan playing 2-3 more yrs with the spurs, and then, as he is declining, spurs will be in rebuilding mode, and I feel he will be traded to the Detroit Pistons to finish up his career (Joe Dumars is gonna do something I feel in the near future involving Duncan, especially the fact that he is very fond of defensive minded big man, as he too in his pistons days as a player had really good defensive minded big men to play with, and also 2004 pistons had the wallace brothers)

Dirk I feel will retire a maverick after 16 yrs or so (so maybe 5 more yrs), and I feel he'll retire before he should.

And finally, I feel Paul Pierce will be with the C's for 3 more yrs, and then maybe sign somewhere else (don't have a feelin who), or just might retire in boston in 3-4 yrs. (thus, 15 or so seasons in the association)

..wiLL..
09-07-2009, 02:16 AM
hmmmmmmmm im a huge laker fan have been since i was 4 years old, but the only question i have to this......i dont know if its been asked yet or not.....but does kobe get disqualified for starting off with the hornets and being drafted by the hornets and getting traded to the lakers for vlad? cause technically he isnt like stockton getting drafted by the jazz and finishing his career there......thats the only question i have about this one **scratches head**

ko8e24
09-07-2009, 02:30 AM
hmmmmmmmm im a huge laker fan have been since i was 4 years old, but the only question i have to this......i dont know if its been asked yet or not.....but does kobe get disqualified for starting off with the hornets and being drafted by the hornets and getting traded to the lakers for vlad? cause technically he isnt like stockton getting drafted by the jazz and finishing his career there......thats the only question i have about this one **scratches head**

no, I feel a player's career starts by the official 1st game of the regular season

drafted, summer league, preaseason don't count, cuz none of the stats like points, rebs, assts, steals, blocks, fouls, turnovers, etc. and number of games played are ever put in the "official record books" for
those things

and plus, the kobe-vlade trade was already predetermined, which is y lakers gm jerry west told hornets gm to draft kobe in the hopes of trading divac to the hornets, who at the time the hornets wanted to join the likes of glen rice etc.

blazerman
09-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Well,ultimately my guess is that Kobe will indeed play out 20 yrs and retire a Laker.

I actually see Duncan playing 2-3 more yrs with the spurs, and then, as he is declining, spurs will be in rebuilding mode, and I feel he will be traded to the Detroit Pistons to finish up his career (Joe Dumars is gonna do something I feel in the near future involving Duncan, especially the fact that he is very fond of defensive minded big man, as he too in his pistons days as a player had really good defensive minded big men to play with, and also 2004 pistons had the wallace brothers)

Dirk I feel will retire a maverick after 16 yrs or so (so maybe 5 more yrs), and I feel he'll retire before he should.

And finally, I feel Paul Pierce will be with the C's for 3 more yrs, and then maybe sign somewhere else (don't have a feelin who), or just might retire in boston in 3-4 yrs. (thus, 15 or so seasons in the association)

I think Duncan shuts it down after 3 more seasons, he doesnt seem like the type to drag it out and he's already 34yrs old and will be 35 at some point this season.

Dirk will probably go 5 more seasons overall and play in Dallas for all but one of them and find out he doesnt like playing elsewhere and call it.

Kobe will probably play 5 more seasons or until the championship window closes and no relocating for him.

Pierce could end up moving teams for a couple of seasons, I say he's a Celtic 2 more seasons then tries his luck elsewhere 4 yrs and out.

ARMIN12NBA
09-07-2009, 03:25 AM

Sure it was OK. He was talking to people on the street. He is allowed to say whatever he wants to them. He NEVER went to the media and talked trash. Fact. Anybody who has been around NBA stars "behind the scenes" know they talk trash all the time. Kobe just happened to be filmed doing so. Nothing wrong with what he said either. Bynum hadn't produced and Kobe was frustrated. No other way around it. Good thing that Bynum took it personally and took his game to another level.

JayW_1023
09-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Duncan will MOST LIKELY retire a Spur...he and Pop are too close. Duncan is the type that wouldn't mind becoming a role player in the later stages of his career and let the up and comers shine.

ink
09-07-2009, 12:50 PM

100% agree. It is absurd.

ink
09-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Duncan will MOST LIKELY retire a Spur...he and Pop are too close. Duncan is the type that wouldn't mind becoming a role player in the later stages of his career and let the up and comers shine.

I agree with that. With all the success he's had though I'm not sure if he's motivated enough to play for many more years. His career is already pretty complete. We'll see how the team does this year. If the Jefferson move pays off for the Spurs, who knows, maybe they will have a whole new run at titles with TD as the elder statesman.

theimortalone
09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
TD will probably last the longest on his team.

MrFastBreak
09-07-2009, 06:52 PM
TD will probably last the longest on his team.

So will Kobe.

CELTICS4LYFE
09-08-2009, 11:14 AM
pierce isnt going anywhere he already ranks high in some of the all time celtics lists...y would he wanna play on another team?

MackSnackWrap
09-08-2009, 11:35 AM

1) the age

I think Kobe has the best chance but that would mean that he would have to play six more full sesons with L.A, I think hell stay for 4 more seasons with Lakers, but he has legit chance of stsying for 6 seasons, hes only 30 i think so age isnt a big factor, and i just cant see Kobe anywhere else but in a Lakers Jersey

asmarks18
09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I'll say Dirk. He is one of the most loyal players in the league, I like the direction the Mavs are going in and I see Dirk playing 8 or 9 more years of solid basketball and staying healthy.