PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson Plays Waiting Game With Grizzlies

ko8e24
09-05-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/05/iverson-plays-waiting-game-with-grizzlies/

By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Grizzlies remained Friday where they have been all summer with regard to Allen Iverson: In a holding pattern.

Another day passed without receiving an answer on whether Iverson would accept a one-year offer to play in Memphis this season.

The Griz expected Iverson, 34, to decide before the weekend. But the free-agent guard apparently needs more time even though the Grizzlies have expressed strong interest in him since July.

Memphis offered Iverson at least $3.5 million or what it has remaining under the salary cap. The Griz could increase the offer to about $4.4 million should it renounce its rights to Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro. The deal still is less than the $5 million Memphis originally considered paying Iverson to play a reserve role.

Iverson is a free agent for the first time in his 13-year career, and has struggled to find serious suitors. The Griz believe the odds are 50-50 that they will add Iverson.

Griz general manager Chris Wallace told The Commercial Appeal on Thursday that it's understandable why Iverson would carefully consider his options.

"He's in new territory. He's never been a free agent," Wallace said. "He's never been a free agent this late in the offseason. I'm sure he's trying to turn over as many scenarios as he can until he has to commit."

iggypop123
09-05-2009, 08:20 PM
waiting for bobcats to come in

MiamiHeat
09-05-2009, 08:21 PM
:ohno:

TannerOwnsDevin
09-05-2009, 08:25 PM
its funny because you look at AI and you know he's not washed up and he can still help a contender win a title, but if you pause and reflect a little bit, you know he's better off retiring at this point because he really cant help any team out there...

SA5195
09-05-2009, 08:35 PM
He said he wants to be in a contender team that just wants to win a championship, during a nba tv interveiw thingy. Don't think Grizzlies are a contender team, IMO. So I think thats kinda holding him off.

mzgrizz
09-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Maybe.......maybe just jacking Charlotte around to get more money. Maybe trying to decide between the two cities, but then I wouldn't be surprised if he took off to the Heat. Pretty unpredictable fella.

Shady66
09-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Man i really hope he goes to charlotte

bigsams50
09-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Man i really hope he goes to charlotte

me 2

mzgrizz
09-05-2009, 09:24 PM
It's ok with me if Memphis gets him, but no telling what he really does to a team or for a team either. If the Grizz had really wanted him, they could have made a bigger $$$$ offer when he was saying he wanted to play in Memphis. Actually has talked it up twice ; a few weeks apart. Would have been a done deal long ago/ or they could have given incentives like they have now. Two edged sword in getting AI .....for anybody. Guess he's needing to keep all of the teams' fans in suspense for a bit longer.
Getting old.........

brett9393
09-06-2009, 12:19 AM
you know, im pretty scared about him going to either team bobcats or Grizs reason why is because he always trys to run the team himself and be the allstar just like he did with nuggets and pistons and if he does that on Memphis, gay and mayo are not going to want to stay because of that reason. so kinda scared.

2_Trill
09-06-2009, 12:30 AM
no rush..

clutchski
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
I just hope he goes back to the Western conference and stays out of the East..for the Raptors sake.

ko8e24
09-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Here's another article on the Iverson Saga to Memphis, lol

http://www.freep.com/article/20090906/SPORTS03/909060525/1051/Allen-Iverson-taking-his-time-to-give-answer

The Grizzlies are still waiting on free-agent guard Allen Iverson.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal reported Friday that another day passed without word on whether Iverson would accept a one-year offer to play for Memphis.

The Commercial Appeal's Ron Tillery wrote: "The Griz expected Iverson, 34, to decide before the weekend. But the free-agent guard apparently needs more time, even though the Grizzlies have expressed strong interest in him since July."

The Grizzlies have offered Iverson at least $3.5 million, or what it has remaining under the salary cap. The deal could reach $4.4 million but still is less than the $5 million Memphis originally considered paying Iverson to play a reserve role.

Griz general manager Chris Wallace told the Commercial Appeal on Thursday that it's understandable why Iverson would carefully consider his options.

"He's in new territory. He's never been a free agent," Wallace said. "He's never been a free agent this late in the off-season. I'm sure he's trying to turn over as many scenarios as he can until he has to commit."

Iverson played most of last season with the Pistons before a back injury ended his season.

MrFastBreak
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/05/iverson-plays-waiting-game-with-grizzlies/

By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Grizzlies remained Friday where they have been all summer with regard to Allen Iverson: In a holding pattern.

Another day passed without receiving an answer on whether Iverson would accept a one-year offer to play in Memphis this season.

The Griz expected Iverson, 34, to decide before the weekend. But the free-agent guard apparently needs more time even though the Grizzlies have expressed strong interest in him since July.

Memphis offered Iverson at least $3.5 million or what it has remaining under the salary cap. The Griz could increase the offer to about $4.4 million should it renounce its rights to Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro. The deal still is less than the $5 million Memphis originally considered paying Iverson to play a reserve role.

Iverson is a free agent for the first time in his 13-year career, and has struggled to find serious suitors. The Griz believe the odds are 50-50 that they will add Iverson.

Griz general manager Chris Wallace told The Commercial Appeal on Thursday that it's understandable why Iverson would carefully consider his options.

"He's in new territory. He's never been a free agent," Wallace said. "He's never been a free agent this late in the offseason. I'm sure he's trying to turn over as many scenarios as he can until he has to commit."

How is he playin a waiting game when he getting closer to a deal.