PDA

View Full Version : Would the Timberwolves be better off without Kahn's changes?

Ovratd1up
09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
While we are on the topic of the Timberwolves, do you think the Timberwolves be better off without all of new GM David Kahn's changes?

Their lineup (without the Sessions signing) would look this:

Jonny Flynn
Randy Foye/ Mike Miller
Corey Brewer
Kevin Love
Al Jefferson

is that truly worse than

Sessions/Flynn
Ellington
Brewer
Love
Jefferson?

Also, they also had a good coach in the first option that already proved he could win (with a healthy Al Jeff). If I were the Wolves' GM, I would have used some of my expiring contracts to get a guy like Richard Jefferson and maybe some draft picks to get a shot-blocking big man. But now they have a mess of a roster with many holes and question marks. I think the Wolves may be held back a few years because of the moves that Kahn made this offseason. What do you guys think?

brandonwarne52
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Absolutely not.

You can't put a bandaid on a brain injury.....you have to perform surgery.

Ovratd1up
09-05-2009, 01:09 PM
^^Ha Ha, I'm just not sure that Kahn's the greatest surgeon.

They were winning under McHale until Jefferson went down, and I thought they had something there. I think they are starting from the beginning now (again).

heattiltheend94
09-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Kahn is plannin 4 da future. AT da moment worse, but in few years it will pay off

blastmasta26
09-05-2009, 01:43 PM
This is similar to the Knicks situation in a way. We had a lot of talented players, Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph, etc. but they weren't winners. They weren't taking us anywhere. Kahn probably felt the same way with Randy Foye and Mike Miller, and moving them for the 5th pick was a better choice. So Minny is worse now, but they weren't very good to begin with, and they will end up being better long term.

blazerman
09-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I think some changes were long over due like kicking Kevin Mchale to the curb (coaching) and bringing in a new coaching staff.

The players going out were not in the longterm plan for the Wolves anyways and Foye was a constant reminder of the Brandon Roy trade. Drafting two point guards was kind of unusual but might benefit the Wolves in the longrun if Rubio does well over the next two yrs and ups his stock.

Signing Sessions was a great pickup and will help absorb the impact of Rubio signing overseas. The Wolves are heading in the right direction but will have plenty of growing pains along the way but they'll get there.

arkanian215
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM
i like khan is doing. rubio is a huge prospect. if he looks even better in the future teams will give up their high lottery plus a decent player to get his rights.

Wisdom Listens
09-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm just not sure that Kahn's the greatest surgeon.

Is there a move he made that I didn't hear about?

Raph12
09-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Yup, the T'Wolves would've been in playoff contention within the next 1-3 years easy. If he didn't trade Foye and Miller, drafted Jordan Hill instead of Rubio, then signed Rudy Gay in the 2010 offseason, think about this 8-man rotation:

PG - Jonny Flynn, Ramon Sessions
SG - Randy Foye, Mike Miller
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Kevin Love, Jordan Hill
C - Al Jefferson
Coach - Flip Saunders

That looks like playoff material to me

Wisdom Listens
09-05-2009, 02:55 PM
There are so "if's" in that argument, it would be pointless to even speculate.

NYY 26 to 7
09-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Yup, the T'Wolves would've been in playoff contention within the next 1-3 years easy. If he didn't trade Foye and Miller, drafted Jordan Hill instead of Rubio, then signed Rudy Gay in the 2010 offseason, think about this 8-man rotation:

SF - Rudy Gay
C - Al Jefferson
Coach - Flip Saunders

They traded those guys for the #5 pick so there would be no extra pick for Jordan Hill or Rubio in youe scenerio. Also how did Rudy Gay get on their team?

brandonwarne52
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Flip Saunders? That's so 5 years ago.

Ovratd1up
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
They should've drafted DeRozan. Then Rubio would've stayed and they could have one of the most electrifying and entertaining backcourts in Rubio and DeRozan. It's just my opinion, but doesn't Minnesota need the tickets, the kind that Wayne Ellington and Corey Brewer can't bring?

cwilson21
09-05-2009, 04:22 PM
They should've drafted DeRozan. Then Rubio would've stayed and they could have one of the most electrifying and entertaining backcourts in Rubio and DeRozan. It's just my opinion, but doesn't Minnesota need the tickets, the kind that Wayne Ellington and Corey Brewer can't bring?

No the buyout still was the biggest problem to begin with. He still would've stayed in Spain.

Raph12
09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
They traded those guys for the #5 pick so there would be no extra pick for Jordan Hill or Rubio in youe scenerio. Also how did Rudy Gay get on their team?

Minny will have money to spend come 2010, they'll have only $29M on their books, Gay will be a RFA summer of 2010, so if the price is right Memphis may not want to match. Btw Hill is just extra, Kevin Love can provide temporary service until a better replacement is found.

Sportfan
09-05-2009, 09:23 PM

SF - Rudy Gay
C - Al Jefferson
Coach - Flip Saunders

they woudlnt have flynn without trading foye :pity:

boeknows
09-06-2009, 12:49 AM
While we are on the topic of the Timberwolves, do you think the Timberwolves be better off without all of new GM David Kahn's changes?

Their lineup (without the Sessions signing) would look this:

Jonny Flynn
Randy Foye/ Mike Miller
Corey Brewer
Kevin Love
Al Jefferson

is that truly worse than

Sessions/Flynn
Ellington
Brewer
Love
Jefferson?

Also, they also had a good coach in the first option that already proved he could win (with a healthy Al Jeff). If I were the Wolves' GM, I would have used some of my expiring contracts to get a guy like Richard Jefferson and maybe some draft picks to get a shot-blocking big man. But now they have a mess of a roster with many holes and question marks. I think the Wolves may be held back a few years because of the moves that Kahn made this offseason. What do you guys think?

well if you dont have Kahn there then you dont have Flynn. Cause McHale wouldn't have picked Flynn. He probably would have picked someone like Curry or knowing McHale would have picked up Hill.

Raph12
09-06-2009, 12:54 AM
they woudlnt have flynn without trading foye :pity:

Not true, if Washington takes Rubio with the 5th pick, they could get Flynn with the 6th still. Why would Washington want another PG anyways, they would likely go for Jordan Hill, and if they didn't they would take Rubio over Flynn anyday.

badkins1121
09-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Not true, if Washington takes Rubio with the 5th pick, they could get Flynn with the 6th still. Why would Washington want another PG anyways, they would likely go for Jordan Hill, and if they didn't they would take Rubio over Flynn anyday.

Yeah but the point is they wouldn't have Hill or Flynn in you're 8 Man rotation because we got the 5th pick by trading Foye, so we would have had the 6th, 18th, 28th picks and obviously Hill didn't fall to 18 and i highly doubt Flynn would have

Raph12
09-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Yeah but the point is they wouldn't have Hill or Flynn in you're 8 Man rotation because we got the 5th pick by trading Foye, so we would have had the 6th, 18th, 28th picks and obviously Hill didn't fall to 18 and i highly doubt Flynn would have

Yeah I got that, it would be a 7-man rotation instead:

SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Kevin Love
C - Al Jefferson

Now Gay and Jefferson can play big minutes, but Love will have to hold down the fort long enough to be replaced with a decent starting PF

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 02:16 AM
I think they are better in the future. Rubio is a great prospect. Flynn will blosson now that he has no competition.

Raph12
09-06-2009, 02:19 AM
I think they are better in the future. Rubio is a great prospect. Flynn will blosson now that he has no competition.

Rubio won't play for Minni, they had a deal worked out and Rubio said no. But I agree Flynn will blossom without Rubio.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Rubio won't play for Minni, they had a deal worked out and Rubio said no. But I agree Flynn will blossom without Rubio.

Rubio will come back in 2 years. Giving him time to develop his game and only being 20 at that time.

He said he will come back when his game develops.

Raph12
09-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Rubio will come back in 2 years. Giving him time to develop his game and only being 20 at that time.

He said he will come back when his game develops.

By the time Rubio returns, it will already be Flynn's team (barring injuries). Rubio will have to accept a repressed role and won't be able to flourish, his rights will likely be traded for a few role players come 2011.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-06-2009, 12:26 PM
By the time Rubio returns, it will already be Flynn's team (barring injuries). Rubio will have to accept a repressed role and won't be able to flourish, his rights will likely be traded for a few role players come 2011.

There is also the rumour of making a Rubio for Evans switch.

Makes it even more interesting.

Ovratd1up
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM

I think you're forgetting about that Ramon guy. He definitely is the better player NOW and he should start when the season starts. It's hard for it to be a guy's team when you have another all star and you are not one, especially if you aren't starting. If Flynn does develop into the leader role, props to him, it is something Minnesota has been lacking for years.

Raph12
09-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I think you're forgetting about that Ramon guy. He definitely is the better player NOW and he should start when the season starts. It's hard for it to be a guy's team when you have another all star and you are not one, especially if you aren't starting. If Flynn does develop into the leader role, props to him, it is something Minnesota has been lacking for years.

Your right, Sessions will get priority over Flynn in the beginning, as the season goes on look for Flynn to get bigger and bigger minutes, by his sophmore season, Flynn will be the leader of this team (Al is more of a 2nd option IMO).

b_rad23
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm thinking they'll both start (Flynn and Sessions).

He's just collecting assets right now like the Celtics did and building from the trenches.

I bet next year he should grab a defensive shotblocking center and another defensive wing.

Eventually he'll have 3 of the best young PGs, 2 of the best young bigs, and a couple of other valuable young wings with his high draft picks and he'll be in a position of strength. They could pull what the Celtics pulled.

Meanwhile he's shedding salary and allowing the young guys to get work.

I think it's brilliant.