PDA

View Full Version : Lee to remain in NY for 1 year deal.

BkOriginalOne
09-04-2009, 11:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4445355

The New York Knicks expect to sign restricted free agent David Lee to a one-year contract at some point after Labor Day, officials familiar with the talks said Friday.

David Lee

Lee

Knicks president Donnie Walsh said he doesn't think a Lee sign-and-trade is possible. Even though the Knicks like Lee, Walsh said he is not interested in signing the forward to a long-term contract at this point; he wants to maintain as much payroll flexibility for next summer, when LeBron James, Chris Bosh and other prominent players will be free agents.

"We can't get a deal" for Lee, Walsh said.

Contract discussions are expected to heat up next week, with a deal expected to fall into the $6 million-to-$8 million range. The only way the deal with Lee wouldn't get done is if another team offers the Knicks a sign-and-trade scenario for a player the Knicks like at least as much as Lee and still allows for future financial flexibility.

No sign-and-trades have materialized at this point, and Walsh doesn't expect any. There is also a good chance that guard Nate Robinson will return to the Knicks on a one-year deal as well, Walsh said.

IBleedPurple
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Interesting.....I'm not sure why the Knicks are forking up cash for a lost season

LakePackYank
09-04-2009, 12:48 PM
so now nate and david lee are added to the 2010 FA mix.

i actually think this is a good idea on walsh's part. imagine if walsh was able to sign let's say lebron, and someone else really good, then he can even resign nate and lee since the knicks will have their bird rights.

Of course it's a huge long shot at signing players like lebron and wade, but im just saying how much more options walsh has now.

Chronz
09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Interesting.....I'm not sure why the Knicks are forking up cash for a lost season

They arent forking up cash, which is why hes taking the qualifying offer and not the deal he wants, thus this thread was created.

D-Will4Prez
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
oh wellz...there's still some hope for a 1st overall draft pick :-/

Ace33Bone
09-04-2009, 02:32 PM
The Knicks definitely need him this year and ^^^ yeah they can kiss that #1 draft spot goodbye

Hustla23
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Lee is no longer a New York Knick.

Since he is not being resigned long term, the Knicks will have to renounce his rights next season to detach themselves from Lee's cap hold in order to free up more money for Lebron.

Expect Lee to be dealt before the deadline in order to dump Curry or Jeffries or traded just for the hell of it since he'll probably walk as an unrestricted free agent in 2010.

Kakaroach
09-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Hmm expected of New York in order for that salary cap space. Guess he gets anotehr year of awesome double-doubles in Mike's system....

Wilson
09-04-2009, 06:51 PM
He'll probably get a lot of money next season. Someone's bound to throw a big deal at him after missing out on one of the huge names, which is a shame because it means Lee will likely become overpaid on a bad team. I think he could be an awesome role player on a good team, but I don't see it happening now...

j-bay
09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
oh wellz...there's still some hope for a 1st overall draft pick :-/

i think this is one of the weakest drafts ever

blastmasta26
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
i think this is one of the weakest drafts ever
2009 was supposed to be one of the weakest drafts ever, while this year the draft is supposed to be much better.

madiaz3
09-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Hmm expected of New York in order for that salary cap space. Guess he gets anotehr year of awesome double-doubles in Mike's system....

mikes system isnt what gave him his double doubles, he already averaged a double double 2 seasons ago, and he scored more this past year because he found a decent midrange jumpshot but more importantly did not have to play behind curry for randoloph.

AllTheWay
09-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Makes sense. Keep the competitive for around 30-40 wins, while keeping the cap flexibility for 2010.