PDA

View Full Version : Sessions to Wolves

BkOriginalOne
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4445416

The waiting and wondering is finally over for restricted free agent Ramon Sessions, who agreed Friday to sign a four-year, $16 million offer sheet with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

A source told ESPN.com that the paperwork on the deal was being processed Friday morning. After Sessions signs, the Milwaukee Bucks will have seven days to match the offer, which they are not expected to do.

Ramon Sessions

Sessions

Sessions' name had been linked with the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers throughout the summer. But New York was unwilling to guarantee more than one year -- which would tie up the Knicks' coveted cap space for the summer of 2010 free agent market. And Los Angeles made a trade last month with Minnesota to acquire Sebastian Telfair as the backup to Baron Davis.

In Minneapolis, Sessions would compete for minutes with rookie Jonny Flynn of Syracuse, the sixth pick of the draft who was elevated to No. 1 on the Wolves' point guard depth chart after efforts to acquire Ricky Rubio's rights from the Spanish club DKV Joventut failed earlier this week.

That put the Timberwolves in the position of scrambling to find another playmaker, and the 23-year-old Sessions was the best option on the free agent market after he and his agent, James "Chubby" Wells, decided weeks ago to hold off on committing to the Knicks in the hope a new opportunity would arise.

Matching the offer to Sessions, whose deal includes a player option for the fourth season, would put the Bucks over the luxury tax threshold, making it extremely unlikely the two-year veteran will return to Milwaukee.

Sessions averaged 11.6 points and 6.0 assists last season for the Bucks.

Chris Sheridan is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

BkOriginalOne
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Let me get this straight... David Khan now has 3 young point guards to consider over the next 3-4 years.
Even Kevin Mchale knows that's not smart.

DerekRE_3
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Let me get this straight... David Khan now has 3 young point guards to consider over the next 3-4 years.
Even Kevin Mchale knows that's not smart.

In the NBA teams are allowed to trade players for other players. You can even trade a player for another player that plays a different position.

drama1386
09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
good luck ramon! i hope he does well on the t-wolves.

td0tsfinest
09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
In the NBA teams are allowed to trade players for other players. You can even trade a player for another player that plays a different position.

wows its true, you do learn something new everyday.

:p

I guess khan really wants to run a team with two point guards in the starting lineup. But there is always the option of bring Flynn or Sessions off the bench.

BigDiazDizzle
09-04-2009, 12:38 PM
It's official; Bucks=Worst in the NBA

WillisLovechild
09-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I think Matt Millen could do a better job as the Wolves GM. Sessions is good, but why play two undersized guards? You would think both are good enough to start, but maybe they want to ease Flynn into the games.

LakePackYank
09-04-2009, 12:43 PM
i still don't like what the wolves are doing as far as PGs are conserned. but sessions is a good player and i think the bucks are making a huge mistake taking jennings over him.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow.

They have no SG what so ever. They had Richardson but they traded him too.

Where's KG?
09-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Hold on here for a minute people. Do any of you know who the Wolves back up pg is right now???? Chucky freakin Atkins...This is a good pickup for the Wolves. Rubio isnt coming as you all know. Flynn cant play 48 miuted in 82 games his rookie year. Good pickup, as Atkins will more than likely be released.

LakePackYank
09-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow.

that's why i don't get why their going over PGs when their is another position that the wolves need right now.

Depth at 1 position is good, but u need to take care of your starters first.

LakePackYank
09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Hold on here for a minute people. Do any of you know who the Wolves back up pg is right now???? Chucky freakin Atkins...This is a good pickup for the Wolves. Rubio isnt coming as you all know. Flynn cant play 48 miuted in 82 games his rookie year. Good pickup, as Atkins will more than likely be released.

and who is the wolves's SG? oh yea nobody. i don't care if the backup PG was smush parker, you got to take care of your other positions first before you go into depth at a position or 2.

There is no point at all in having 2 point guards, (unless ur planning to trade one, then again why would they trade either one now that they drafted flynn and just signed sessions), when u need a SG.

Where's KG?
09-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I believe Wayne Ellington will be just fine. More than likely will resign Carney too. SG will be just fine. Apologies for rebuilding taking more than 1 summer

Where's KG?
09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
The Wolves will be just fine in 3-4 years

rabzouz 96
09-04-2009, 01:04 PM
what happened to the 3rd pg the wolves drafted, did they trade him?
oh and the sig with the uuord quote is not facepalm worthy but very possible.

what54!?
09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
wtf why do they have so many damn pgs. Don't they need a two?

topdog
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Alright, lemme get this straight. So we draft two phenomenal PG prospects and we take a bunch of heat even though every team needs a backup PG.

Now, we get a steal in Ramon Sessions who no one wanted to offer anywhere close to what he deserved because of 2010 looming and we take more heat.

Here's the thing: Rubio has said he will spend 2 years in Spain, Chris Sheridan says it'd be more beneficial to stay 3. Sessions is now signed 3 years with a fourth year option meaning he'll be here at least until Rubio comes (or doesn't) meaning we'll likely have 2 great PGs up until then at which point we can either simply replace cogs and substitute Rubio in for one of the other two or trade one of the three away as a valuable asset to get one of the pieces we are missing (C,SF,SG) that we don't get w/ our multiple picks or cap space in 2010.

No one can dare tell me a good point guard is not a valuable commodity and that every team needs at least 2. Kahn is a genius thank you very much.

WSU Tony
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
i still don't like what the wolves are doing as far as PGs are conserned. but sessions is a good player and i think the bucks are making a huge mistake taking jennings over him.

We have 3 top PG prospects. In 2011 the Wolves are basically guaranteed to have a very good PG on their team. How is that a bad thing? The least valuable of the three can then be traded for value.

Wow.

First round pick Ellington doesn't count for anything? Or haven't you heard of him?

and who is the wolves's SG? oh yea nobody. i don't care if the backup PG was smush parker, you got to take care of your other positions first before you go into depth at a position or 2.

There is no point at all in having 2 point guards, (unless ur planning to trade one, then again why would they trade either one now that they drafted flynn and just signed sessions), when u need a SG.

Why does a team which is going to win 20 some games have to "fill gaps?" Shouldn't they be picking up the best assets available for the future at this point? I don't care if they have 4 PG's if those are the best available players in the draft. The wolves with the #3 pick this year drafted Lawson (#18) and traded him (in a weak draft) for a pick next year in the 12-15 range (in a stronger draft) how is that a bad move? Hell, the Knicks don't have a PG and would be great trade partners.... See how this "value" approach works? It works a whole lot better in the long run than filling holes with mediocre players just to say you did so.

We have 2 PG's on our team, isn't that pretty standard? How many does your team have?

fredv
09-04-2009, 01:41 PM

NO WAY! Does that mean Jennings can be traded aswell? :confused:

Raps08-09 Champ
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
First round pick Ellington doesn't count for anything? Or haven't you heard of him?

Who else plays SG there though?

He isn't even a starter. Who knows if he is good enough for a backup role.

JOSKOMANG4
09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
what happened to the 3rd pg the wolves drafted, did they trade him?
oh and the sig with the uuord quote is not facepalm worthy but very possible.

Nick Caletheses.. traded him to Dallas

badkins1121
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Ok why not pick him up? Can trade him for a need or have him as back up PG instead of Atkins or Brown lol.

And does the season start today? I didn't think so they still have plenty of time to get a SG if not then Ellington/Carney will do just fine and Flynn/Sessions can play there at some parts of the game. Its not like we are competing anytime soon so we mine as well get good young players.

Ace33Bone
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM

I def agree with this but what I feel u should have added is that no on in their right mind would have Ellington as a starter in the NBA... But then you would have to remember it is the T-Wolves we are dealing with here:D

Hellcrooner
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM
This starts to look like Rubios ights are being shipped.

If they shipped them NOW to new york once the guy has signed somwehre else and wont be free until 2011 it woudl be the perfect ******** move....

colinskik
09-04-2009, 02:31 PM
WSU Tony -- If they had 4 PGs how are they all supposed to get playing time?

I dont' agree at all with your theory that a team such as the Wolves should just take on the best talent they can find without trying to fill their holes in the process. Ideally you would want a tight, cohesive unit playing with each other and getting comfortable with other as they progress toward the future. That unit would most likely have a valid starter at each position rather than two good players at one position at zero at another. You're comfortable with Ellington at SG?

Both Sessions and Flynn want to be starters. ... Will they both be on the court at the same time? If so, who's the playmaker?

Ace33Bone
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
WSU Tony -- If they had 4 PGs how are they all supposed to get playing time?

I dont' agree at all with your theory that a team such as the Wolves should just take on the best talent they can find without trying to fill their holes in the process. Ideally you would want a tight, cohesive unit playing with each other and getting comfortable with other as they progress toward the future. That unit would most likely have a valid starter at each position rather than two good players at one position at zero at another. You're comfortable with Ellington at SG?

Both Sessions and Flynn want to be starters. ... Will they both be on the court at the same time? If so, who's the playmaker?

LEt the Wolves fans have what they believe is a great pickup... And dont get me wrong Sessions is a good player... but your team has more holes in it than a Jamaican tank top... you all will see how bad it is when you get absolutely 0 contribution from your SG spot

colinskik
09-04-2009, 02:43 PM
LEt the Wolves fans have what they believe is a great pickup... And dont get me wrong Sessions is a good player... but your team has more holes in it than a Jamaican tank top... you all will see how bad it is when you get absolutely 0 contribution from your SG spot
haha

I agree, Sessions is a good player, but would probably be better as the unquestionable starter.

Lo Porto
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Let me get this straight - Kahn drafts PG Rubio, drafts PG Flynn, loses PG Rubio for the next two years, says he will not trade PG Rubio, and then signs PG Sessions to a 4 year deal? So there is a chance that Minnesota potentially has 3 of the top 10 young PG's in the game in the summer of 2011. What's the point?

Ace33Bone
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Let me get this straight - Kahn drafts PG Rubio, drafts PG Flynn, loses PG Rubio for the next two years, says he will not trade PG Rubio, and then signs PG Sessions to a 4 year deal? So there is a chance that Minnesota potentially has 3 of the top 10 young PG's in the game in the summer of 2011. What's the point?

And they may be front runners in the John Wall draft as well at the rate they are going it will be between them and the Bucks with the Bucks having a slighter edge

Hawkeye15
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
This starts to look like Rubios ights are being shipped.

If they shipped them NOW to new york once the guy has signed somwehre else and wont be free until 2011 it woudl be the perfect ******** move....

why would the Wolves even bother thinking about Rubio now? He can sit in Spain, maybe next summer they can begin to entertain offers. The Knicks would have to give them Chandler, and their 2011 #1 for Rubio. And NY isnt going to do that this far out. Your boy is a nobody currently, sorry.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Per usual, many fans talk out of thier *** without knowing the situation.
The Wolves have no backup PG. None. Flynn was going to play off the ball if Rubio came anyways, so this is a good opportunity to see if he is capable of that, while also getting burn at PG. Ellington will get big minutes. Brewer and Carney, if resigned, will see minutes there. The WOlves started from scratch this summer. Not having depth at SG makes absolutely no difference this season. None. The Wolves are set at PG and PF. WIth youth throughout the team, great contracts to move if need be, 3 first rounders potentially next draft, nearly $16 million in cap space next summer. Rambis, Laimbeer, Theus as our coaches. A GM who is a cap expert. ANd Rubio sitting in our back pockets in Spain.
THe fans here can choose to think whatever they like, 4 years, $16 million for a 12/6 23 yr old PG is beyond reasonable. Wolves fans have every right to be excited about our future. We are not built for winning this season. None of us care about that.
In 3 years, when we are kicking your teams ***, maybe then you will bother to do a little research, and see what the Wolves roster/contracts/flexibility is.

Lo Porto
09-04-2009, 03:03 PM
And they may be front runners in the John Wall draft as well at the rate they are going it will be between them and the Bucks with the Bucks having a slighter edge

You might be right. I know that the NBA is becoming smaller with teams going with quicker lineups, but it's going to become more trendy to have smaller bigs but bigger smalls. I just don't see how a lineup with Flynn, Sessions, Love and Big Al can be true contenders.

brandonwarne52
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Corey Brewer
Wayne Ellington
----------------
Rodney Carney

Hawkeye15
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM

if we get the #1 pick, and Wall is it, we take him. DO you not understand, when you are rebuilding, you take value. You don't fill "Needs" on a 24-58 team, cause you have a lot of them.
Many fans here don't understand what value means. If you need a SG, but you have the #1 pick, 9 point guards, and the top player is a PG, you take the PG. You figure the rest out later. Pretty simple.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2009, 03:07 PM
You might be right. I know that the NBA is becoming smaller with teams going with quicker lineups, but it's going to become more trendy to have smaller bigs but bigger smalls. I just don't see how a lineup with Flynn, Sessions, Love and Big Al can be true contenders.

they cant be this year. Love is 20, Flynn as well. When they add a top pick next year, and spend some of the $16 million in cap space they will have, then you can re evaluate them. They are so far from an unfinished project. It would be like claiming Portland can't contend in 2006. Duh, but you need to look forward.

king4day
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
IMO, another botched move by the knicks.
I know Sessions isn't a saving grace and that anything can happen, but they must have something heavy up their sleeve to stick with what they have.

Twinsfan24
09-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Well let me think there is a guy named Ryan Gomes who if im not mistaken started 80 percent of games at SG last season...... and Ellington will be just fine at backup. And Now we have a proven point Guard and jonny flynn where is the bad here......

DerekRE_3
09-04-2009, 03:47 PM
NO WAY! Does that mean Jennings can be traded aswell? :confused:

No, per the NBA bargaining agreement, guys with that much swag can't be traded. The other team would go over the swag cap.

Dieselpi
09-04-2009, 04:07 PM
khan is a complete mess, lets get as many pgs as possible
and then hire a coach who is a disciple of phil jackson.... who runs the triangle offense

a offense where a pg is pretty useless

Dieselpi
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
No, per the NBA bargaining agreement, guys with that much swag can't be traded. The other team would go over the swag cap.

there is a little known bi annual swag exception

Hawkeye15
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
khan is a complete mess, lets get as many pgs as possible
and then hire a coach who is a disciple of phil jackson.... who runs the triangle offense

a offense where a pg is pretty useless

the Wolves will not be running the triangle offense. And they only have 2 PG's. Rubio is a non factor for them right now.
The team wants to run. With 2 big men who can average 10 rpg, and Love with his outlet passing, having Flynn and Sessions, with Brewer and Carney on the wings, adds some excitement.

blah-blah
09-04-2009, 04:36 PM
so whats there starting line gona be like

Jefferson
Love
Carney
Sessions
Flynn

worst defensive team in the NBA??

jacquewho?
09-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Nice signing. Wolves came in quickly and filled the void that Rubio was supposed to play by getting Sessions. Great move, leaving the knicks out in the dust here.

badkins1121
09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
No, i would think something like this...

Al Jeff
Love
Gomes
Brewer
Flynn or Sessions

And who cares, not like we will compete anyways. We are in something called rebuilding

Dieselpi
09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Nice signing. Wolves came in quickly and filled the void that Rubio was supposed to play by getting Sessions. Great move, leaving the knicks out in the dust here.

if the goal is just to screw the knicks then thats pathetic and khan wont be employed long. The goal should be to make the team better.

Kakaroach
09-04-2009, 05:08 PM
3 good young PGs. Kahn is an idiot. Then again, there aren't that many good SGs' available now. I guess Sessions was the best available FA on the market, even though you could argue he should have gone for Nate Robinson instead.

theimortalone
09-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Since they won't get Rubio to come over for two years, why not sign a starting point guard to help get Flynn more NBA Ready. Smart move IMO.

Mr.SmackYoMama
09-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Everyone's sleepin on the T-Wolves they re gonna be legit in a few yers watch they're makin moves!!!

BlinkManJan02
09-04-2009, 05:44 PM

this is a good pickup, as a Bucks fan i'll miss Ramon. I'm going to start following the Timberwolves, for the record.

lorenz00
09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
nice signing

jacquewho?
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
if the goal is just to screw the knicks then thats pathetic and khan wont be employed long. The goal should be to make the team better.

I didn't say kahn made the move to screw the Knicks. But this move sucks for the Knicks cause I'm sure they were looking at signing Ramon. Now they have to settle for Nate Robinson (which isn't a huge talent level drop off IMO, but Sessions > Robinson).

Hustla23
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I didn't say kahn made the move to screw the Knicks. But this move sucks for the Knicks cause I'm sure they were looking at signing Ramon. Now they have to settle for Nate Robinson (which isn't a huge talent level drop off IMO, but Sessions > Robinson).
I guess for us Knicks fans it sucks since we all wanted him this summer.

But DW made it pretty clear that 2010 was the main objective at hand.

Everything is for 2010....

We're selling away David Lee and Nate Robinson on 1 year deals because of 2010..

Who knows? It could be that 4 million dollars Sessions received that makes the difference between that second max FA or not.

I have to admit my faith in Donnie has withered a little bit, but I'll stay the course...

mrblisterdundee
09-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I think the Wolves are getting towards the playoffs with this move. Ramon Sessions is a great point guard, and it took Brandon Jennings to make Milwaukee lose him.

blackjack_119
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Hopefully Minnesota trades Al Jefferson and Ricky Rubio to Cleveland for LeBron James... who then signs a max contract extension to continue to screw the Knicks.

I know it would never happen.

Draco
09-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Hopefully Minnesota trades Al Jefferson and Ricky Rubio to Cleveland for LeBron James... who then signs a max contract extension to continue to screw the Knicks.

I know it would never happen.

:laugh:

drama1386
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM

this made me laugh out loud here at work! LOL

blackjack_119
09-04-2009, 06:43 PM

(cough) Darius Miles (cough)

Though to his credit, Chris Wallace has plenty of legitimate reasons why he shouldn't be employed long.

dtmagnet
09-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Trade one for a position of need? I never realized having talented players was a bad thing then I came into this thread and I saw the light.

Oefarmy2005
09-04-2009, 08:44 PM
so whats there starting line gona be like

Jefferson
Love
Carney
Sessions
Flynn

worst defensive team in the NBA??

Coming form a team that has Bargnani at C and Bosh at PF???? And that's a good defensive team??

blastmasta26
09-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Robinson's not really a point. He's an undersizing shooting guard, a pure scorer. Us Knick fans wanted Sessions, but it's clear that Walsh didn't have huge interest in him, otherwise he would've been signed by us.

AI4MVP
09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
only thing i dont understand about this is tat they signed sessions to a FOUR year deal. if sessions was signed to a 2 year deal kahn would be a genious, becaseu that would mean sessions is just keeping rubios seat warm til he gets here, but in two years twolves will have sessions, jonny flynn, and rubio. i see trades

kahn is an exciting GM. he has balls.

mikantsass
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
GREAT signing for Minny. I am high on Sessions. I think he is extremely under-rated and has great potential.

He should fit in well with the team as well.

topdog
09-05-2009, 12:07 AM
only thing i dont understand about this is tat they signed sessions to a FOUR year deal. if sessions was signed to a 2 year deal kahn would be a genious, becaseu that would mean sessions is just keeping rubios seat warm til he gets here, but in two years twolves will have sessions, jonny flynn, and rubio. i see trades

kahn is an exciting GM. he has balls.

Fourth year has some kind of option (player or team - not sure). Rubio could benefit financially if he stays a third yr.

Plus, PG is a coveted position and we can always get good value for one later. Kahn made the perfect deal setting us up for now and later without over spending or over extending.

To all of you talking about why don't we sign a SG, did I miss something? Is Kobe available? What SG is there that's worth a rebuilding team's time and minutes? No one. Plus, I wasn't too thrilled about Brown or Atkins being our backup. (Just in case you guys didn't realize Rubio is out of the equation for this year).

I never thought I'd meet so many stupid ppl until I came into this forum - tell me I'm wrong. I mean, tell me why signing a talented PG for cheap when you don't have a quality backup isn't a great move?

Dieselpi
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Trade one for a position of need? I never realized having talented players was a bad thing then I came into this thread and I saw the light.

thats a logical thought

he could have filled many positions of need on draft night with young inexpensive players, having 4 picks in the first round.

there were teams foaming at the mouth to trade up and khan rejected a lot of talent being offered.

which is why i say sometimes the guy is a head scratcher

WSU Tony
09-05-2009, 09:43 AM
You guys would make terrible business owners.

AirJordanXVIII
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Milwaukee can still match this guys....

Just because he signed an offer sheet doesnt mean he's going there. He's a RFA.

eric1501
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM

They won't though. I can't wait to watch Sessions and Flynn develope. I say start Sessions right away because he could end up being the best PG out of him and Flynn even though I am very high on Flynn. Let Jonny see the flow of the NBA game and ease him into the starting spot. We have alot of options down the road here in Sota. With Rubio coming in 2 years and an a55 load of $ for the best class in FA history I think we are going into the right direction. After next years FA class this could be possible lineup.

PG Jonny Flynn/Ramon Sessions
SG Corey Brewer/Wayne Ellington
SF Rudy Gay/Ryan Gomes
PF Kevin Love
C Al Jefferson

With 3 possible 1st round picks going into next year you fill the BIGs need and a 2 guard. Hopefully Kurt Rambis, Bill Lamibeer, and Reggie Theus can really work with this young talent. Kahn has made me happy since he has come aboard. :clap:

boeknows
09-06-2009, 01:25 AM
thats a logical thought

he could have filled many positions of need on draft night with young inexpensive players, having 4 picks in the first round.

there were teams foaming at the mouth to trade up and khan rejected a lot of talent being offered.

which is why i say sometimes the guy is a head scratcher

And who was offered? Better put some links in there too just so we know ur not pulling them out of ur ***.

badkins1121
09-06-2009, 01:27 AM
^ And even so we don't know exactly what was offer, most of it is speculation

Draco
09-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Angry Knicks Fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMA5_op9aOA&feature=related)

blastmasta26
09-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Milwaukee's not matching. They're close to the luxury tax and they clearly don't want to pay that. Why do you think they shipped Jefferson? They also added a lot of guards including Jennings and Skiles doesn't really like Sessions as their PG. He didn't give him much playing time.