PDA

View Full Version : Iverson decision on Grizzlies offer could arrive Friday

DenButsu
09-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Iverson decision on Grizzlies offer could arrive Friday

Free agent guard Allen Iverson finally is about to live up to his moniker.

Iverson -- known as The Answer -- is expected to give the Grizzlies an answer Friday on whether he’ll accept their one-year offer, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Iverson’s agent, Leon Rose, informed the Grizzlies earlier this week that a decision would come before the weekend. Iverson, 34, is a free agent for the first time in his 13-year career, and has expressed interest in playing for Charlotte and Memphis in recent weeks.

More than a week has passed since the Grizzlies offered Iverson a contract using money the team has left under the salary cap. The Griz can pay Iverson at least $3.5 million or about $4.4 million should they renounce their rights to Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro. The latter figure wouldn’t be much less than the $5 million Memphis was willing to pay Iverson at the start of the free-agent period.

The Griz are also prepared to add incentives to the deal.

Iverson wrote on his Twitter account today that a decision is imminent: “Spoke with a couple teams this week, and I think we are getting real close to a deal. I hope so!”

Griz general manager Chris Wallace wouldn’t confirm a timetable on a potential Iverson deal but put the odds of the veteran scorer playing in Memphis at “50-50.”

“We’ll see,” Wallace said. “It’s a holding pattern. He’s in new territory. He’s never been a free agent. He’s never been a free agent this late in the offseason. I’m sure he’s trying to turn over as many scenarios as he can until he has to commit.”

Presumably, Iverson has been awaiting and weighing opportunities from teams in better position than Memphis to earn a playoff berth. Charlotte is among Iverson’s preferences for that reason plus his comfortable relationship with coach Larry Brown.

Perhaps Iverson could also play a starting role with Charlotte and earn the mid-level exception ($5.8 million) –- neither of which are options in Memphis.

The Griz want Iverson to play a reserve role. He’d likely be a reserve behind second-year guard O.J. Mayo and perform as the team’s primary scorer off the bench.

Iverson, who has balked at being a backup in the past, seemed amiable to the Grizzlies’ wishes about a week ago when he wrote on his Twitter: “Memphis is a place that I would love to play. The Grizzlies have good young players with a great upside. I love the city of Memphis too.

“I would lead by example. I could show how important it is to work hard everyday, play the game the right way, & just like it's your last!”

Meanwhile, the Griz continue to prepare for the worst-case scenario by keeping in touch with other veteran free-agent guards. Team officials are trying to arrange workouts with Brevin Knight, Tyronn Lue, Jacque Vaughn and Luther Head.

Any of those players would be a minimum-salary acquisition.

Ronald “Flip” Murray remains a person of interest for the Griz. Securing Murray, however, would require part or all of the Grizzlies’ cap space.commercialappeal.com (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/sep/03/iverson-decision-grizzlies-offer-could-arrive-frid/)

ivylleague1'
09-04-2009, 10:30 AM
The answer is obvious. Iverson will not come off the bench.

Mave1002
09-04-2009, 10:33 AM
The Bobcats signing wouldve been better

king4day
09-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I hope he signs with Charlotte. Memphis has Randolph already.

randomness
09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Randolph + Iverson = :ohno:

BkOriginalOne
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Iverson and Randolph cannot play on the same team.
This team is going to be last in the NBA in defesne, top 5 in scoring but about 25th in FG%.
BAD BASKETBALL.

Iverson, please. Don't do this to you're legacy. Go play for Brown and prove you can still be effective. He can still get 25, 7.. prove it. PLEASE. PLEASE!!!

BkOriginalOne
09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Please! (post number 500!)

JLynn943
09-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, no offense to Memphis at all, but I hope he goes to Charlotte. He's got a better shot at the playoffs and can silence his critics playing for Larry Brown again

rabzouz 96
09-04-2009, 12:54 PM
i dunno what memphis plans, but if they really sign iverson they just ruined their whole rebuild in one offseason

bigsams50
09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
i agree, he should go to charlotte

MiamiHeat
09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I was hoping to see a Wade & Iverson backcourt

Shady66
09-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I really hope he doesnt go to memphis, he should go to charlotte

Raph12
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Iverson, Gay, Mayo and Randolph... wow someone needs to find this team 4 different basketballs to play with come gametime, maybe an extra one for AI and Z-Bo.

Charlotte would work out SO much better for him, in Memphis he would be the #2 maybe even #3 option behind Gay and Mayo, plus Randolph will want his shots so possibly #4 and he's coming off the bench. Disaster in the works here people.

Ace33Bone
09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with the consensus CHA would have been a better look for him

IversonIsKrazy
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
its so sad to c his career going down the drain, like what superstar says the words i would like to play in Memphis. Honestly, i would rather him go to any other team, CHA, MIA, or NY than Memphis, it just will work out terribly. AI/OJ/Gay/Randolph/Gasol will just be terrible. C'mon AI, sign with any of the 3 Eastern teams, but not Memphis man.

MrFastBreak
09-05-2009, 01:17 AM
It's past Friday and it still ain't arrived.

ko8e24
09-05-2009, 01:44 AM
It's past Friday and it still ain't arrived.

Still 1 hr 15 min left here in the Pacific TimeZone! :D

DreamShaker
09-05-2009, 04:07 AM
Chris Wallace is making a run at Isaiah here...he is literally trying to ruin the careers of Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo...

ko8e24
09-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Chris Wallace is making a run at Isaiah here...he is literally trying to ruin the careers of Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo...

:confused: wtf? wut does this have to do with Allen Iverson. I never knew Allen Iverson miraculously turned into Isaiah Thomas overnite (Im assuming thatz who u were thinkin of lol)

and no, even if they got isaiah thomas, they'd want the player version, not the coach :D

DreamShaker
09-05-2009, 04:19 AM
:confused: wtf? wut does this have to do with Allen Iverson. I never knew Allen Iverson miraculously turned into Isaiah Thomas overnite (Im assuming thatz who u were thinkin of lol)

and no, even if they got isaiah thomas, they'd want the player version, not the coach :D

Haha I'm talking about in terms of incompetence...

Kakaroach
09-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Still no word on Iverson apparently...

AllTheWay
09-05-2009, 03:49 PM
If he signs with em I really hope they can find a way to make it work and earn a playoff spot. Would be very entertaining seeing these guys possibly mesh when everyone says it would be impossible.