PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Finals Run of the 00's

Chronz
09-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Off the top of my head

Shaq (2001) Dominance at its finest against the finest competition, SWEPT 3 GREAT TEAMS
Shaq (2000)
Duncan (2003) (Had a few break, but withstood the trials and stayed healthy)
Shaq (2002)
Kobe (2009)
Kobe (2001) (Not as skilled but relentless energy and actively pursued the basketball defensively) Became Shaqs legitimate equal to some and MVP of the Lakers Finals run to others this year.
Duncan (2005)
D-Wade (2006) Wasnt required to do much on route to the Finals but given his performance in the Finals deserves recognition
Duncan (2007)
Kevin Garnett (2008) Up until the Finals carried the team

Honorable mention:
Manu (2005)

Which dont you agree with, have I left anyone out, make your top 5, 10, 20 whatever you wish. These can be players who MADE the Finals, not necessarily those who won the Finals.

ctitus45
09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Dirk 2006

op12
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
pierce over kg. he had to outduel lebron and he was big against detroit.

BkOriginalOne
09-04-2009, 11:54 AM
As far as making a run and failing.
Iverson in 2001.

JLynn943
09-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Iverson in 2001.

Definitely. He carried that team all season, won MVP, and had some absolutely huge games all throughout the playoffs that year. Ended up averaging almost 33 ppg and 6.1 apg in the playoffs

Should be in the top 5 imo

Chronz
09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Iverson in 2001.
You know I had a separate list of players who went that far and failed and AI wasnt even top 5 on that list. His run in the Finals is overrated IMO, definitely not as impressive as anyone above thats for sure.

Definitely. He carried that team all season, won MVP, and had some absolutely huge games all throughout the playoffs that year. Ended up averaging almost 33 ppg and 6.1 apg in the playoffs

Should be in the top 5 imo
He had the most terrible games from a player who made the Finals as well ended up shooting like 39% with a bunch of turnovers. But out of sheer curiosity, over whom?

JordansBulls
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
You know I had a separate list of players who went that far and failed and AI wasnt even top 5 on that list. His run in the Finals is overrated IMO, definitely not as impressive as anyone above thats for sure.

He had the most terrible games from a player who made the Finals as well ended up shooting like 39% with a bunch of turnovers. But out of sheer curiosity, over whom?

Yeah he still had 6 or 7 games of 40+.

Raph12
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Yes he beat teams like Reggie and the Pacers, Carter and the Raptors and Ray Ray and the Bucks, so his road to the Finals was basically 3 one-on-one series (which he won). But he was also the only player to hand the prime Shaq-Kobe Lakers a loss in the Playoffs, scoring 48pts, otherwise Lakers would've gone down in history as the only team who swept the postseason, that on its own is a great feat IMO.

He also had some of the best games from a player who made the Finals as well. His run to the Finals is a big deal because his supporting cast had slim to no offensive ability. He would often pass the ball only to see his team miss open jumpers, he was forced to put it upon himself to do everything and anything in order to win. If that means shooting 39% and scoring 33ppg, then so be it. Iverson did something no other player has done, he made it to the Finals scoring more than double any other player's points on his team. Find me one player who made the Finals with weaker surrounding offensive players, scoring more than twice the output of any player on their team.

magichatnumber9
09-04-2009, 02:47 PM
It depends on who your team is man. I bleed green so the Celtics run and celebration was the greatest to me. Spurs were boring, Lakers whatever. Celts were on a mission.

Lakersfan2483
09-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Off the top of my head

Shaq (2001) Dominance at its finest against the finest competition, SWEPT 3 GREAT TEAMS
Shaq (2000)
Duncan (2003) (Had a few break, but withstood the trials and stayed healthy)
Shaq (2002)
Kobe (2009)
Kobe (2001) (Not as skilled but relentless energy and actively pursued the basketball defensively) Became Shaqs legitimate equal to some and MVP of the Lakers Finals run to others this year.
Duncan (2005)
D-Wade (2006) Wasnt required to do much on route to the Finals but given his performance in the Finals deserves recognition
Duncan (2007)
Kevin Garnett (2008) Up until the Finals carried the team

Honorable mention:
Manu (2005)

Which dont you agree with, have I left anyone out, make your top 5, 10, 20 whatever you wish. These can be players who MADE the Finals, not necessarily those who won the Finals.

You created a very good list of all the top finals runs in the 00's.

Chronz
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
My stance on AI is well documented, I dont want to waste another thread talking about him. Where are you guys rankings so I can smash on them