PDA

View Full Version : NBA Primetime's 3 Rising East Teams

jrice9
09-03-2009, 10:50 PM
The Eastern Conference have quietly surpassed the big bad West in the overall power rankings throughout the past few seasons.

Teams like the Cleveland Cavaliers, Orlando Magic, and Boston Celtics have taken over the NBA, emerging as the top tier leaders throughout the league.

While many might argue that after those three organizations no other team in the East comes even close to their supreme status, recent signings and trades do show that a few non-playoff contenders from last year are destined to improve during the upcoming season.

We start with Chris Bosh and the Toronto Raptors.

Toronto Raptors

The Raptors have had once heckavu offseason thus far, acquiring

F Hedo Turkoglu from the Orlando Magic

G Marco Belinelli from the Golden State Warriors

F Reggie Evans from the Philadelphia 76ers

F Amir Johnson and G Sonny Weems from the Miluwakee Bucks

They also signed G Jarrett Jack, rookie DeMar DeRozan, G Quincy Douby, and C Rasho Nesterovic.

Toronto heads into the season with a revamped roster and high expectations. C Andrea Bargnani broke out last year posting career highs in virtually every category and is bound to break out into a potential All-Star candidate during the '09-'10 season.

The combination of Bargnani and Bosh in the front-court provides Toronto with extreme height (for rebounding, blocking, and overall defensive purposes) and shooting-ability from mid-range all the way out to three-point area.

The two together are arguably the strongest 4 and 5 duo in the East.

30-year-old Hedo Turkoglu will be another major part of the teams nucleus, supplying the young guns with much needed experience and leadership skills, and giving the Raptors their first go-to-guy since the Vince Carter era.

Together, PG's Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack can certainly emerge as one of the elite guard duo's in the Eastern Conference, ranging from Calderon's excellent passing ability to Jack's consistent defensive approach.

Aside from those established players, Raptors fans get the opportunity to cash in their checks on rookie and ninth pick overall F DeMar DeRozan.

If DeRozan can prove capable enough of handling a strong role on the Raptors squad, there is no doubt from an NBA fans perspective that this Toronto team has an outstanding chance at contending in the playoffs next season.

Washington Wizards

Similar to Toronto, the Washington Wizards are another team that has made some noise around the league during the offseason.

The Wizards acquired via trade G Randy Foye and G Mike Miller from the Minnesota Timberwolves, giving up Etan Thomas, Darius Songalia and Oleksiy Pecherov and the #5 pick of the 2009 NBA draft.

Aside from a healthy Gilbert Arenas, the Wizards core consists of F Caron Butler, F Antawn Jamison, and C Brendan Haywood.

When at full strength, these four athletes are a force not to be reckoned with.

What makes this Wizards team even more attractive for the upcoming season are their young studs that are slowly emerging into exceptional basketball players, such as G Nick Young, C Andray Blatche, and C JaVale McGee.

In addition to those upcoming players, Washington can rely heavily on three year man Randy Foye to play the two spot aside of Arenas and to run the point when #0 is resting.

Along with Foye, the Wizards can depend on nine year veteran Mike Miller for leadership, defense, and efficient shooting.

To top it off, the Wizards are now coached by the only head coach in the history of the NBA to coach for both conferences in the NBA All-Star game, Flip Saunders.

If all goes well, the Wizards are in for an extremely dangerous season, one that can sky-rocket their ranking all the way up to the cream of the crop.

New York Knicks

Whaat? The New York Knicks?? No way, right? Wrong.

Although many will strongly disagree, the New York Knicks do have a chance to make the playoffs next season (if and ONLY if they re-sign both Nate Robinson and David Lee.)

With both back on the roster, the Knicks suddenly have an emphatic front-court consisting of both David Lee (who lead the league in double-doubles last season, ahead of DOY Dwight Howard) and 6'10" rookie Jordan Hill.

Lee and Hill will be depended upon to intimidate and dominate literally anybody they face, and from the signs of things, they look to be up to the task.

Side-wise, New York has a few rookies and youngin's that could shoot the team up in the Eastern rankings. Players like rookie G Toney Douglas, F/C Chris Hunter, and one year man Joe Crawford are three up-comers that have limitless potential in the league.

Along with them, G/F Wilson Chandler will be entering his third season in the NBA and has another breakout season written all over himself.
Since the Knicks are extremely young and inexperienced, the odds of competing for a playoff spot are not in New York's favor. Although, if the team can consistently give it their all each and every night, they will be a definite sleeper team in the upcoming season.

Intersting on the Knicks and also they didint mention Wright for the Raps who may be the starting shooting guard

JMKnick33
09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Nice to see the Knicks getting some recognition. He's right though, if the Knicks DO give it their all each and every night, they may be able to sneak into the playoff picture. But like he said, the odds are against us.

lorenz00
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
wow surprisingly i see the raptors gettin some respect

Draco
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Still just some random student's blog entry...

I mean.. it might be interesting if someone like Henry Abbot or Doug Thonus (who run blogs and have access to NBA players) thinks the Knicks are on the rise. All Brandon Ribak writes about is that he likes the Knicks rookies.. Not very compelling stuff. Not trying to beat up on the kid.. but come on, this is no better than the average PSD post.

Ethix11
09-03-2009, 11:13 PM
There are alot of IFs about that Knicks team. Also, if ANY team that "can consistently give it their all each and every night will be a definite sleeper team in the upcoming season"

raptors_fanatic
09-03-2009, 11:55 PM
love how he forgets about Wright....most ppl are underestimating this guy, but i think he'll be an X-factor for the Raptor's success....esp on the defensive end of the floor

chicago lulz
09-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Still just some random student's blog entry...

I mean.. it might be interesting if someone like Henry Abbot or Doug Thonus (who run blogs and have access to NBA players) thinks the Knicks are on the rise. All Brandon Ribak writes about is that he likes the Knicks rookies.. Not very compelling stuff. Not trying to beat up on the kid.. but come on, this is no better than the average PSD post.

Did you not essentially do that with the Harris/Rondo/Rose thread? Granted it may not be 'Blog' form, but same idea. I'm not saying you were wrong for creating that thread, but it's a bit hypocritical.

ChiSox219
09-04-2009, 01:27 AM
LOL

They picked the 3 worst teams in the East to rise...what a gutsy call!

How about:

Bulls
Pacers
Nets

Draco
09-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Did you not essentially do that with the Harris/Rondo/Rose thread? Granted it may not be 'Blog' form, but same idea. I'm not saying you were wrong for creating that thread, but it's a bit hypocritical.

I did not essentially do the same thing nor did I even do anything remotely similar with the Harris/Rondo/Rose thread. Tommy Cragg's article is simply a better read than Ribak's blog entry. Better written, better researched and his conclusions are reasonable and aren't based on obvious facts.. even if Cragg's wrong, it's a hell of an attempt because he bases it on a source that worked in the NBA. If you don't agree with his article, you can still see that he put a lot more work into it.. which makes it worthy of discussion..

Ribak's blog entry detailed OBVIOUS facts about teams and made some obviously FLIMSY conclusions.

So the Knick's are "a rising East team" because they might possibly play consistently and because Ribak likes their rookies? Really????????????????????????

BlondeBomber41
09-04-2009, 01:44 AM
love how he forgets about Wright....most ppl are underestimating this guy, but i think he'll be an X-factor for the Raptor's success....esp on the defensive end of the floor

Antoine Wright is terrible. I have never been so glad to see a Maverick leave the team, and at one point we had Antoine Walker!

He can play defense, but he is a terrible shooter but has no problem jacking them up. He also is a terrible penetrator but he often thinks he is Kobe and drives the ball and gets stripped or throws up some ugly *** shot. Thats why he shot 41% and 30% from three last year. The 3 point % actually rose, through the first half of the season he only shot it at 19%.

-Big-Baby-
09-04-2009, 02:36 AM
LOL

They picked the 3 worst teams in the East to rise...what a gutsy call!

How about:

Bulls
Pacers
Nets

Are you out of your mind?:confused: Raptors are not even close to being one of the worst teams to rise. The Raptors have gotten a heck of alot better in the off-season. Learn your basketball.

Gambeezy
09-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Are you out of your mind?:confused: Raptors are not even close to being one of the worst teams to rise. The Raptors have gotten a heck of alot better in the off-season. Learn your basketball.

Exactly, hence the reason they would rise since they sucked last season. Are YOU out of your mind?

nstojic
09-04-2009, 07:59 AM
still just some random student's blog entry...

I mean.. It might be interesting if someone like henry abbot or doug thonus (who run blogs and have access to nba players) thinks the knicks are on the rise. All brandon ribak writes about is that he likes the knicks rookies.. Not very compelling stuff. Not trying to beat up on the kid.. But come on, this is no better than the average psd post.

+1

fairandbalanced
09-04-2009, 09:40 AM
wow surprisingly i see the raptors gettin some respect

considering that they are in the same conversation as the knicks, where is the respect?

ya_boi
09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Thumbs down on that list. a very poor chain of thought

Chronz
09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Thats easily the worst article Ive read this year, good effort though

unk88
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
thats funny how heat fans consistanly hate on the raptors, i'll laugh when the heat end up with a losing season, wades outta there

Ace33Bone
09-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I would say

Bulls
Raptors
Hawks

MiamiHeat
09-04-2009, 03:17 PM
thats funny how heat fans consistanly hate on the raptors, i'll laugh when the heat end up with a losing season, wades outta there

that's funny how Raptors fans think they are the greatest team now, and how they think Bosh is going to stay in Toronto

BlondeBomber41
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Here are some of my favorite quotes from this article. What a joke.

The combination of Bargnani and Bosh in the front-court provides Toronto with extreme height (for rebounding, blocking, and overall defensive purposes)

Guy obviously knows nothing about Bargnani or he wouldnt associate him with rebounding, blocking or overall defense.

30-year-old Hedo Turkoglu will be another major part of the teams nucleus, supplying the young guns with much needed experience and leadership skills, and giving the Raptors their first go-to-guy since the Vince Carter era.

Hedo Turkoglu is their first go to guy since Vince Carter? So what is Chris Bosh then?

Lee and Hill will be depended upon to intimidate and dominate literally anybody they face, and from the signs of things, they look to be up to the task.

This sentence is just completely stupid and wrong.

mrblisterdundee
09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
1. Chicago
2. New Jersey
3. Indiana

blastmasta26
09-04-2009, 08:27 PM
:laugh: His points on the Knicks are so idiotic. Chris Hunter and Joe Crawford are scrubs, Hunter won't even make the roster most likely. Douglas was the 29th pick in a weak draft, could be good but no one knows at this point. Jordan Hill is a rookie that is raw, he won't dominate this year. The young players to be excited about are Wilson Chandler and Danilo Galinari. Only way we make the playoffs is if we sign AI.

dtmagnet
09-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I wonder how old this kid is, it really isn't a well thought out or constructed article.

Draco
09-04-2009, 11:00 PM
This is almost the same type of article as ESPN's "Team Turnaround -- the squad that could see vast improvement this season."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-TeamTurnaround

I suppose writers don't have to be original.. after all there are several different variations of player rankings hitting the net. ESPN's article is also pretty short but their three choices were made by a panel vote and their explanations make more sense in some cases.

In this article the definition of "on the rise" are the authors three choices for Eastern Conf. teams in which "recent signings and trades do show that a few non-playoff contenders from last year are destined to improve during the upcoming season."

Interestingly Ribak and ESPN both chose Washington.
Here's ESPN's explanation:

The skinny

Wizards (23 votes)
Washington won 19 games last season after four straight seasons with 41 wins or more. There was an easy explanation, of course: Two of the Wizards' starters -- Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood -- played a total of eight games combined.

With those two healthy again -- along with newly acquired firepower (Randy Foye, Mike Miller, Flip Saunders) joining the mix -- the Wizards are hoping to be like the Celtics team that went from last place in the East in 2006-07 to NBA champs two seasons ago. Although that may prove to be wishful thinking in the top-heavy East, the Wizards certainly could be the team nobody wants to face come springtime.

Here's Ribak's explanation seems to be very similar... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't aware of ESPN's article...

I thought there was a thread based on ESPN's article not too long ago.. and within it I would guess that everyone added their own opinions. Seems kind of silly to have a second thread with a similar theme from an inferior piece of writing to start off the conversation.

Draco
09-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I would say

Bulls
Raptors
Hawks

I would like to think the Bulls are on the rise but I think it takes a lot of luck to break out of the middle of the pack and to reach the next tier. A lot depends on the Bulls adding star power to complement Rose and that means getting lucky in FA or the draft. I think the Bulls are in a good position to be on the rise.. since they've been able to wisely manage their cap space.

blastmasta26
09-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Here are some of my favorite quotes from this article. What a joke.

Guy obviously knows nothing about Bargnani or he wouldnt associate him with rebounding, blocking or overall defense.

Hedo Turkoglu is their first go to guy since Vince Carter? So what is Chris Bosh then?

This sentence is just completely stupid and wrong.
lol exactly, this writer is completely clueless.

MrFastBreak
09-04-2009, 11:40 PM
He forgot about Deshawn Stevenson.

jimbobjarree
09-05-2009, 12:04 AM
kicks make the playoffs I will seriously stab myself in the dick

Robbw241
09-05-2009, 12:05 AM
kicks make the playoffs i will seriously stab myself in the dick

qft

jimbobjarree
09-05-2009, 12:06 AM
seriously I will knife me in the dick and cut my balls off. Seriously, the knicks make the playoffs I'll do it

Raps08-09 Champ
09-05-2009, 12:07 AM
seriously I will knife me in the dick and cut my balls off. Seriously, the knicks make the playoffs I'll do it

Yo. You confirm the trade yet?

Robbw241
09-05-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote for Sexy

jimbobjarree
09-05-2009, 12:10 AM
feeling so faithless lost under the surface

DenButsu
09-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Intersting on the Knicks and also they didint mention Wright for the Raps who may be the starting shooting guard

"They" is "he", and he seems to have joined PSD expressly for the purpose of using it to promote his blog, but not to actually participate in discussions here. (jrice, no worries about posting it, you couldn't have known this, so you're all good).

------------------------------------------

From here on out, the NBA mods would like to request that "NBA Primetime" - like Bleacher Report - be in the category of websites that PSD posters should not use as sources. They are just places where regular NBA fans like any of us write whatever the hell they're thinking. If they want to do that here, they can. But they're not news sources, and should not be linked to or sourced from here.

See this thread on news and rumor posting (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376463&highlight=bleacher) for more details.

Thank you.