PDA

View Full Version : NBA preparing Twitter guidelines

DenButsu
09-03-2009, 10:07 PM
NBA preparing Twitter guidelines
By Marc J. Spears

NBA commissioner David Stern told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday the league will soon follow the NFL in announcing Twitter guidelines and other social media restrictions for its players and coaches.

“Obviously, there is a happy medium between tweeting before the game and tweeting from our bench during the game,” Stern said by phone. “You want to make sure that pop culture doesn’t intrude on what brought us here, which is the game, and that we show the right respect for the game.”

The NFL announced its own guidelines on Monday by restricting players, coaches and football operations personnel – or anyone representing them – from using social media networks like Twitter and Facebook from 90 minutes before kickoff to the end of traditional media interviews after games. NFL game officials are banned from using social media at all times.

Stern described the NBA’s guidelines as “nothing too serious.”

“We just need to make sure when it’s OK to Tweet and when it’s not OK to Tweet so it at least focuses around the game,” he said. “It would look unusual for a guy sitting on the bench to pick up his cell phone, and I think we can agree that he probably shouldn’t be writing e-mails. It’s not about Twitter; it’s about the line of communication. That’s what we’re focusing on.

“We’re happy to let it play out to see if it merits all the attention that it’s getting. We don’t want to overreact.”

National Basketball Players Association spokesperson Dan Wasserman said the union would reserve comment until the league officially introduces its guidelines. But Wasserman did express concern that individual teams also could issue their own restrictions, which could conflict with those of the league.

One Western Conference executive said his team already planned to give its players a set of guidelines upon their arrival at training camp later this month.

[...]yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtQwE8Qc56DF.TSFDxl93J.8vLYF?slug=mc-nbasocialnetworking090309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Marc J. Spears used to write for the Denver Post. It would not surprise me in the least if that "Western Conference executive" was someone in the Nuggets organization who he's still in contact with. :rolleyes:

Draco
09-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Nuggets twitter guideline include prohibiting the replacement of C with K when spelling certain words?

DenButsu
09-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Nuggets twitter guideline include prohibiting the replacement of C with K when spelling certain words?

Oh, jesus.... I guess it was a mistake posting this.... here comes the hate...

cathy521
09-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Hot on the heels of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's rulemaking on gameday tweeting, Yahoo!'s Marc Spears reports that the NBA is considering a policy of its own. Commissioner David Stern was noncommittal on what an NBA Twitter policy would ban, though one would imagine the NFL's "no Tweet window" around games -- from 90 minutes before kick-off until after post-game media access -- would be a likely base.
I understand why the league wouldn't want players tweeting (or doing anything else on an electronic device) during a game, and unofficial injury updates or referee disclosures would be bad all around.
But beyond that, it's probably best left to each team's discretion. The NBA, after all, doesn't set rules for what activities can occur on the team bus before or after games, or whether headbands are allowed on the court. Teams do. Perhaps the league can set guidelines for the franchises, but Twitter is not a rogue NBA crisis ready to burst. If having an NBA policy prevents a suspended Dwight Howard from live-tweeting a Magic playoff game, I want no part of it.

Resources from gobrandmall.com
NBA lovers,big surprises are waiting for you!

_KB24_
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Is that a reference to the Bloods and Crips?

D Roses Bulls
09-03-2009, 10:56 PM
the nba is starting to become morel ike nazi germany for real

Giaps
09-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I seriously can't stand Twitter and don't understand why people love it so much.

DenButsu
09-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I seriously can't stand Twitter and don't understand why people love it so much.

I finally caved and made an account not too long ago when I realized that at times some NBA news actually breaks there before it does at other places, and that, for example, Bret Bearup (one of the Nuggets FO guys) has an account. But basically I'm no twitter fan, really. I just don't want to miss out on any Nuggets/NBA-related news or info (or politics, to a lesser extent).

ombada
09-03-2009, 11:08 PM
This is ridiculous... Twitter has become the best source of information, straight from the horses mouths.

I dont think any of it should be banned, or restricted. If they dont want them to tweet during games thats one thing, but actually telling people what they can or can not say is more like the dictatorship that the Stern regime is becoming.

Draco
09-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Is that a reference to the Bloods and Crips?

yeah.. just giving Den a hard time.

lorenz00
09-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Lol at twittering

lorenz00
09-03-2009, 11:11 PM

so that the fans have a chance to talk to a celeb

D Roses Bulls
09-03-2009, 11:12 PM

cant agree more. i seriously wanna smack whoever created that damn site.

ink
09-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Read some history.

:pity:

Just read some history.

Giaps
09-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Poor choice of words my man.

ombada
09-03-2009, 11:27 PM

ouch, im jewish and that is a little too far.

:) i agree with you though, that the NBA's rules are getting outright ridiculous.

SeoulBeatz
09-04-2009, 12:09 AM

i have an account and i think it's a great idea, but i also agree that it shouldnt be AS HYPED AS IT IS. ESPECIALLY on ESPN, it gets really annoying when every quote nowadays is referred to twitter.

but its a cool concept, u know what celebs are up to and what they do in their regular lives and u can even talk to them.

ive managed to get responses from shaq, andre iguodala, lou williams, and questlove from the roots.

i dunno, i like that its so easy to just drop a line to a celeb and they take the time to respond to u. again,its a dope concept, just wayyy too overhyped.

LakePackYank
09-04-2009, 01:22 AM
i have an account and i think it's a great idea, but i also agree that it shouldnt be AS HYPED AS IT IS. ESPECIALLY on ESPN, it gets really annoying when every quote nowadays is referred to twitter.

but its a cool concept, u know what celebs are up to and what they do in their regular lives and u can even talk to them.

ive managed to get responses from shaq, andre iguodala, lou williams, and questlove from the roots.

i dunno, i like that its so easy to just drop a line to a celeb and they take the time to respond to u. again,its a dope concept, just wayyy too overhyped.

I agree. I have a Twitter myself and I talked to a few names u mentioned and others like Ron artest, etc. And got respounces to them.

But at the same time, the hype for twitter has been getting a little out of hand. Like in G4 channel for example (yea I watch it but only because olvia Munn is hot :D) every time they end a interview with sombody or something like that, their like "for more information about the interview, check out G4 at Twitter".

And it's pretty much like that with any show now a days. I like that the updates for any sports news are eairiler then others like yahoo or espn, and how twitter vertifies all the celebs to show that it's really them unlike the fake ppl on myspace or facebook, (both suck IMO) but at the same time, it's a little too much hype.