PDA

View Full Version : Looking Through Jay Triano's Eyes

GameBreaker
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Whut's good, ya'll? Hope the Raptorland residents are doin' aight. Anyhow, alot of times we spend looking at what our players are sayin'. I just caught this article off the Raptors website. It's a really good, realistic and overseen topic about Jay Triano and what he's got to work with, compared to last year. I like what they had to say, it's very interesting, but yet refreshing, sorta'. Here is the link, and here it is:

A Good Problem For Triano...
September 3, 2009 - 2:45 p.m.

Some say the origin of the phrase “be careful what you wish for, you just might get it,” goes back to Aesop’s Fables.

Aesop holds the patent on a great many of the great morality tales, the tortoise and the hare being one of the best known.

Raptors’ coach Jay Triano is on the first year of a three-year-deal. After salvaging as much as he could from a dissolute season last year, he has been gifted by GM Bryan Colangelo with 13 new faces to lard around Jose Calderon, Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani.

What Triano has been given is versatility. Jarrett Jack, slated to back up Calderon at the point, is about as comfortable at shooting guard. Rookie DeMar DeRozan can play guard or small forward. Marco Belinelli is a two-guard who can play the point.

Hedo Turkoglu can play shooting guard, small or even power forward, depending on the opponent. Reggie Evans can play power forward and in a pinch, the centre spot. Amir Johnson, at six-foot-nine, can theoretically play all three of the forward positions.

Antoine Wright can play either shooting guard or small forward. Chris Bosh can play power forward or, if necessary, centre. Bargnani is the seven-foot centre, but he has enough agility to play either one of the other two forward positions.

A few years after Rob Babcock was pilloried after choosing Charlie Villanueva when he already had a big in Chris Bosh, the thinking around the game has changed. You need guards, bigs and in betweens.

Last year, playing time was not an issue for Triano. There was no question who would get it, Anthony Parker, Bosh, Calderon when he was healthy and Bargnani. When Colangelo swapped Jermaine O’Neal for Shawn Marion, he traded the minutes as well.

Last year, Triano has the tortoise. This year, they’ve put him in touch with the hare.

With 10 players entering camp with a reasonable expectation of considerable playing time, with all the versatility he could ask for, Triano faces an interesting conundrum.

Last year’s team, despite the losing and Calderon’s injured Hamstring, might prove itself easier to handle than this year’s.

For one thing, expectations are whipped up to the point of frothy. One Toronto basketball writer predicted a possible 50-win season. That’s 17 more wins or a 22 per cent goose in the club’s winning percentage.

And that’s great. Better players bring more expectations. Terrific.

The tougher part is melding that abundant lineup flexibility to produce a cohesive lineup with a dozen new faces from this time last year. The players fighting for time are better; their expectations will be built to scale.

Now, as many have pointed out, there were haughty expectations last year when Colangelo acquired O’Neal and look how that turned out.

But harnessing the hare will be his job this season and it’s a completely different task than managing through last season’s train wreck.

If they win, the Raptors will be the perfect confluence of a brilliant young coach and a lineup bristling with possibilities and grit. They should delight patrons who were left disenchanted by a sometimes passive, soft club.

But every possibility brings its own realities. Triano, with less than a season of NBA experience behind him is in line for a very different set of challenges.

Any comments?

*Here's the link: http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/ulmer.html

dtmagnet
09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
It's better to have this kind of problem than to have the problem of having NO good players.

GameBreaker
09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
^^ I agree. Not too sure how long it's been since we were in that sorta' position. I think when we had VC, McGrady and the rest of the gang. Still, I really like THIS new team.

Nexus
09-03-2009, 08:22 PM
If they win, the Raptors will be the perfect confluence of a brilliant young coach and a lineup bristling with possibilities and grit. They should delight patrons who were left disenchanted by a sometimes passive, soft club.

I've spent a lot of time this offseason trying to figure out who are the biggest variables and analyzing which side of the spectrum they might land on.

It occurred to me that the person who's skills I know the least about is probably Triano. It's tough: I love what he has to say and I love what others have to say about him. On the other hand, he's unproven as an NBA head coach.

If anyone brings this thing together, it's Triano. I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope that we can out coach a team in the playoffs for once in the franchise's ****ing history.

GameBreaker
09-03-2009, 08:27 PM
lol @ Nexus. Really, really? Lol...jus' buggin'....Yeah, I hope we can prove alot of people wrong. Plus, remember, we FINALLY have a CANADIAN coach, who really, really, really...lol...kiddin...but a coach that's really in need of our support and patience. And let's not forget his staff, as well.

Nexus
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
lol @ Nexus. Really, really? Lol...jus' buggin'....Yeah, I hope we can prove alot of people wrong. Plus, remember, we FINALLY have a CANADIAN coach, who really, really, really...lol...kiddin...but a coach that's really in need of our support and patience. And let's not forget his staff, as well.

:clap:. The whole team needs our support and patience. 13 new players is unheard of. Iavaroni, English, Williams should each bring something different to the table. Colangelo has put together a potent staff along with his potent team.

clutchski
09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
:clap:. The whole team needs our support and patience. 13 new players is unheard of. Iavaroni, English, Williams should each bring something different to the table. Colangelo has put together a potent staff along with his potent team.

Yeah, I'm thinking Ivaroni is going to bring us something significant (defensively of course)..Williams on the other hand, this will be his first time coaching on an NBA stage so I hope he brings a lot but I have some doubts.

Nexus
09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking Ivaroni is going to bring us something significant (defensively of course)..Williams on the other hand, this will be his first time coaching on an NBA stage so I hope he brings a lot but I have some doubts.

He is the one out of those three that played guard in the NBA. Hopefully he can teach DeRozan and Belli some things on both ends of the floor. And yes I do realize point guard and shooting guard are very different, but they also share many similarities.

clutchski
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
He is the one out of those three that played guard in the NBA. Hopefully he can teach DeRozan and Belli some things on both ends of the floor. And yes I do realize point guard and shooting guard are very different, but they also share many similarities.

Yeah I agree, I think you would get the same out of him if he happened to be an experienced vet on the team that's all..but he does have some coaching experience so. I hope he instills aggressiveness into DeRozan, Belli, and even Calderon should gain a lot from him.

smith&wesson
09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I think we have a bit of a log jam at the 2 and 3.

derozen has to get his minutes to develop

wright needs to get mins because he brings defense

belli needs mins to stay happy and provide scoring off the bench.

obviously some ones gonna be unhappy because jack is also going to see a bit of time at the 2 spot as well to be content. He cant just play 14 mins a game behind calderon, he is getting alot of money we need to play him.

turke will see most of the mins at the 3 so theres gonna be a real tight battle at the 2 spot.

also after bargs and bosh its gonna be pretty tight competition at the 4&5 spot as well between rasho, evans, johnson

it will be interesting to see how jay devides the mins

clutchski
09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
^^ I know what you're saying, it's not necessarily a bad thing though. Look at Burke and the Leafs..we have a log jam on defense now, full of nhl caliber players on the defensive end. But as a GM he is saying "Finally! We have some competition and fighting for minutes". That could be a positive outlook on the situation when it comes to the Raps.

I think Belli will be fighting for minutes along with Amir, and it's not a bad thing at all. DeRozan will get his (thank-you Triano) and wright brings the defense we need. Turk will obviously see a lot of minutes as a playmaking SF. Rasho will take his minutes happily, we already know he loves Toronto. Evans brings the toughness we need, but he won't play heavy heavy minutes. And a lot of playing time will depend on the varying situations game by game, team by team. It will be interesting how Triano divides the minutes, but I don't see it as a major issue.

SA5195
09-03-2009, 09:54 PM
BC did his thing, now its all up to Jay! Its kind of funny how last year we had like no one to play from the bench, and this year we're stacked!

GameBreaker
09-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Man, our coach is respected. Not just by our franchise but from other AMERICAN players. They may not scramble to play here, but, they don't mind him helping out with the US team though. Which is a sign of huge respect for the man. Even Jerry Colangelo respects him. (hmmm, I wonder if he helped in advising Bryan to sign him). I like him because he lets his players play, and thru their mistakes, as well. And he's patient but knows what he wants out of his players. Makes them play their game and utilize their abilities, and not try to change their game, entirely.

yungballah15
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
^^^ yo wa u sayin game breaker, holla at me g, but jay triano i expect should do really good with this coaching staff, and players around him, its a recipe for success in my eyes, jay triano i think will get it done.

GameBreaker
09-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Yoooo...whutup, fam'? I'ma holla, mos' def. And I agree, Jay "Professor-X" Triano will get it done. The Voltronic Raptors will be formed in the coming months...lol.