PDA

View Full Version : Question about playing basketball

stevefrancis
09-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I have a question about if your playing in a game and someone tries to throw the ball off you because they can't control the ball so they throw it off your leg so its out on you, you all know the play im talking about well whose ball would it be if the person throws it at a person who is out of bounds already. this happened to me and i was the one out of bounds already and i was saying im already out so its not out on me. same thing as saying a player out of bounds can't touch the ball from out of bounds right or in a tennis match a player whose outside the box cant hit the ball. please let me know what the call is so i can own some scrubs. =]

Shady66
09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
if ur out of bounds and they throw it off u, its out on u

johnnychan
09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah out on you, you probably looked like a dumbass trying to argue it.

stevefrancis
09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
not really if looking dumb is scoring 16 out of 21 points and winning 21-12.

Sports Illustrator
09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Out on you brotha.

The person throwing the ball to you is inbound, how could it be out on him?

MackSnackWrap
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Out on you

IRUAM #21
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Out on you dawg, feel me ??

GCOOKIE7
09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Out on you.

play without lines next time

johnnychan
09-02-2009, 10:59 PM

No like i said looking dumb is arguing that call. Nothing to do with the amount of points you scored. Or atleast said you scored.

JMKnick33
09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Interesting question. But definitely out on you. The rule that you can't get the ball if you're out of bounds already doesn't apply in this case as well.

JMKnick33
09-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a question of my own.

Say you're going up for a shot or a layup and you are tightly guarded, so tight that you know you have no chance of making the shot. Can you throw it off the defender and get it back?

GCOOKIE7
09-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a question of my own.

Say you're going up for a shot or a layup and you are tightly guarded, so tight that you know you have no chance of making the shot. Can you throw it off the defender and get it back?

yup. But that's ***** ****. Just throw something up. Frankly I never try that cheeky stuff.

ombada
09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Out on you brotha.

The person throwing the ball to you is inbound, how could it be out on him?

I think he has a fair argument, however the argument should be for a rule change.

This is how it could be out on the person throwing the ball; in most sports once the ball crosses the boundary line it is out (which is what i think he was saying) So theoretically if he is already out of bounds and the other guy throws the ball, once it crosses the boundary line it would be out.

This would eliminate jumping out of bounds to try and retrieve a ball (which i think would suck, i love effort plays)

but it would make the game safer for the photographers, telecasters/broadcasters and for the patrons. (which i think is a good thing)

Actually preventing a player that is in bounds from going out of bounds after a play is called dead (not during a time out) by enforcing a penalty, would probably also be a good rule change to make sure that a player/fan brawl never happens again.

I like you
09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Out on you bre

hoop talk
09-03-2009, 12:24 AM

That don't mean **** if you playing with weak people.

MajorFloridaFan
09-03-2009, 12:45 AM
out on you..you stand in the out of bounds area..your an extension of it....if the player that throws it off of you is still in the air or in inside the lines

DetroitFan41
09-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Out on you

stevefrancis
09-03-2009, 01:35 AM
wait so you have to be in the air to throw it off someone?

clutchski
09-03-2009, 02:03 AM
Well if the guys out of bounds by a foot, and the ball is thrown from the inbounds position..and then 100% of the ball crosses the line out of bounds, and then hits you and stays out..it's out on THEM. Isn't it?

That's just me being a ***** and getting all in depth with it.

D-Will4Prez
09-03-2009, 02:31 AM
I'd think that if the person you bounce it off of was out of bounds, that would mean the ball would be going out of bounds...which would mean the person throwing it out of bounds would lose the ball.

GCOOKIE7
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
He was playing against Matt Bonner

ctitus45
09-03-2009, 10:07 AM
it's kind of a common sense rule...

if ur out of bounds and touch the ball...out on you

if you are in bounds, yet jump in the air out of bounds and hit an opponent (who is out of bounds) then it's out on him.

i'd be really pissed if you argued that and i would probably make you quit the game for being dumb and not having common sense along with not knowing the rules of basketball.

king4day
09-03-2009, 10:12 AM
No like i said looking dumb is arguing that call. Nothing to do with the amount of points you scored. Or atleast said you scored.

There's nothing wrong with his argument. If you are not inbounds, then you should be considered as an object not in play.
No need to rip the guy. It's not a clear rule.

tr3ymill3r
09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I've actually heard of this before, and I've actually had it called both ways. Both times were in actual games, they were division 3 college games at Concordia University in Austin, Tx. They happened within like the same week too, one ref just gave the ball to the other team since it was out on our guy, but the second game one of my teammates threw the ball off a guy who jumped to try to avoid the ball and landed out of bounds, and the ref said he was established out of bounds and not on the court, he said something to the affect that since he's not part of the court it can't be out on him. It was weird and even at a private university our coach got tossed, because he just lost it as much of us would in that case. I think it depends on the referee at the time, and where you're playing...if this goes on in streetball, then you probably shouldn't have made a post, because there are no rules in streetball.

kbrill21
09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Out on you...no question about it. You only scored 16 points outta 21? Scrub.

NJ#1FAN
09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
The ball is out on you. See Rule#8: Section I & Section IIa of the Official NBA Rule book. Here's the link: http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_8.html?nav=ArticleList

DrDEADalready
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Outie on you homeskillet.

Ace33Bone
09-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I used to ref... It is definitely out on you 100% sure

stevefrancis
09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
thanks for the link and most of your helpful comments. people who bashed having nothing better to do so they make fun of other people because they are losers themselves. just like those people who start youtube fights.

NYKnickFanatic
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Out on you.

You must be an idiot trying to argue that, no offense.

lorenz00
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
its out on you unless the guy who trow the ball is out too or if his in the air and trow of you its out on you

HiphopRelated
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I think he has a fair argument, however the argument should be for a rule change.

This is how it could be out on the person throwing the ball; in most sports once the ball crosses the boundary line it is out (which is what i think he was saying) So theoretically if he is already out of bounds and the other guy throws the ball, once it crosses the boundary line it would be out.

This would eliminate jumping out of bounds to try and retrieve a ball (which i think would suck, i love effort plays)

but it would make the game safer for the photographers, telecasters/broadcasters and for the patrons. (which i think is a good thing)

Actually preventing a player that is in bounds from going out of bounds after a play is called dead (not during a time out) by enforcing a penalty, would probably also be a good rule change to make sure that a player/fan brawl never happens again.
don't know if was argued earlier, but that would cause more controversy. Seeing camera angles saying the ball was still in/out

97'bulls
09-03-2009, 10:37 PM
its off u

jakesmail123
09-03-2009, 11:13 PM
just play 21. there is no out of bounds

ombada
09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
don't know if was argued earlier, but that would cause more controversy. Seeing camera angles saying the ball was still in/out

i understand what your saying, and it would be a lot of trouble maybe 10 years ago, but tennis uses a system that would work fine for the NBA aswell, which would point out where the ball landed.

I do agree with you, though, if you are saying it would hurt some of the fluidity of the game, but they already have reviews, whats one more thing to look at?

aNYer
09-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Think of it this way, the reason people can save the ball in the air is because the ball isn't out of bounds yet. So you, who is out of bounds, are touching a live ball, making it out on you.

And to Ombada. You know how many games of basketball are played a year. I don't think I have ever heard of a serious injury from a player diving in the stands and if it has its such a minuscule percentage. Also the malice in the palace incident was not only a 1 time thing but would happened even with a rule like that in place.

King_melo
09-04-2009, 02:17 AM
I got a good question. If you play street ball than you can relate to this call that everyone always argues about. You know how in the NBA a jump ball is called when a defender blocks the other player going for a dunk attempt or lay up but they both come down with it? Well in street ball there is no jump ball, and when this happens, the people I ball with always call traveling on that play, which I don't understand. Their reasoning or explaination is "I'm suppose to put the ball down after I get blocked." And I'm thinking thats just stupid. You just play through it in my opinion and I always argue that call everytime. What do y'all think?

NYKnickFanatic
09-04-2009, 03:26 AM
I got a good question. If you play street ball than you can relate to this call that everyone always argues about. You know how in the NBA a jump ball is called when a defender blocks the other player going for a dunk attempt or lay up but they both come down with it? Well in street ball there is no jump ball, and when this happens, the people I ball with always call traveling on that play, which I don't understand. Their reasoning or explaination is "I'm suppose to put the ball down after I get blocked." And I'm thinking thats just stupid. You just play through it in my opinion and I always argue that call everytime. What do y'all think?

That is true.

You are suppose to put the ball down after getting blocked, while you both come down with the ball. After you both come down with the ball, just take a quick bounce, that is what I do, I think that is what everyone does.

CELTICS4LYFE
09-04-2009, 08:49 AM
It out on the person throwin it....its not out on u if ur already out of bounds...

azkarraga
09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
stop bashing the guy. he's got a doubt. i you can help him, great. if not, let him be.

i hate it when pple tries to play the wise*** here. at least the guy steps on the court.

richardle9
09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
i got a question of my own too
how do you guys call it when your playing someone 1 on 1 and your guarding him, then he picks up his dribble and has no where to go but shoot, but he throws it off you and gets the ball, now he can dribble again, my friend does that all the time and i just call it as a double dribble like your dribbling it but on someone else, how do you guys call it?

GCOOKIE7
02-23-2010, 12:10 AM
i got a question of my own too
how do you guys call it when your playing someone 1 on 1 and your guarding him, then he picks up his dribble and has no where to go but shoot, but he throws it off you and gets the ball, now he can dribble again, my friend does that all the time and i just call it as a double dribble like your dribbling it but on someone else, how do you guys call it?

I hate when ppl do that trash. I'm pretty sure its allowed though.

vash9
02-23-2010, 01:42 AM
they're in bound. you're out of bound.

they toss the ball and it hits you.

it's out on you.

TheKing23
02-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Wow... Who dug up this old *** thread?

kArSoN RyDaH
02-23-2010, 02:08 AM
i get what your saying bout you being outta bounds so your not in play. thts football. lol. but in basketball it would be out on you.

Raph12
02-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Out on you dawg, feel me ??

Yo Randy, who's replacing Simon on the show? :p

GCOOKIE7
02-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Yo Randy, who's replacing Simon on the show? :p

James Bond

Jaji
02-23-2010, 11:41 AM
If you scored 16 out of 21 points, then accept the fact that it's out on you, but make sure you make up for it with a lot of trash talk. 16 out of 21 and a W earns you the right.

td0tsfinest
02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
I thought this was a recent. it's over a year old.

Jaji
02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I thought this was a recent. it's over a year old.

Ah I hate when old threads get bumped.

Orlando going after T Mac, Hill and Duncan!