PDA

View Full Version : What defines who the best player in the league is ....

JordansBulls
09-02-2009, 05:12 PM
What defines who the best player in the league is?

A) The player who has the largest on-court impact, both tangible (i.e., production) and intangible (i.e., leadership, the ability to combine production and team success).

Anyone who talks about some sort of skill evaluation determining who the best player is is kidding themselves. It's about who produces results, not some abstract notion of "skill."

or

B) It's a combination of intangibles moderating statistical production and qualitative analysis of how a player impacts a team.

Sometimes, it's a tough call because the player's team/coach is/are insufficient to really showcase everything he can do in a winning scenario. There were times when I was comfortable saying Garnett was the best but his team wasn't performing well enough to get consideration next to other guys, for example.

Usually, I break it down into: best stats, most skilled, best combo of offense and defense, most team success and then sort of compare and contrast each of those players with in-depth statistical scrutiny as well as basic qualitative observation. Whoever survives that, I crown my personal choice for best player in the league.
You have to account for the older guys coasting sometimes, though, so that can skew results

Which definition makes more sense? Or are they equally the same?

HiphopRelated
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
the criteria is continuously changed to suit your favorite player

ChiSox219
09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Michael Jordan