PDA

View Full Version : Rubio To Blame After All, Changes Mind After Agreeing To Deal With Wolves

IBleedPurple
09-02-2009, 11:53 AM
ESPN MINNEAPOLIS -- After saying all summer long that his preference was to play in the NBA, Ricky Rubio apparently got a case of cold feet at the last minute.

Less than 48 hours after the Timberwolves, Rubio's agents and the Spanish team DKV Joventut agreed in principle on a deal to bring the 18-year-old point guard to Minnesota, Rubio changed his mind.

He told Timberwolves president David Kahn on Monday night that he wanted to stay in Spain for the next two years to better prepare for life in the NBA -- a blow to a team that was hoping to have the popular passer on the court this fall.

Read the entire article here (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/251656/).

IBleedPurple
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm sure some fans still will fail to blame Rubio, when in fact everything was agreed upon for him to come to the NBA.

CityofTreez
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
The Sacramento Kings select Tyreke Evans as the #4 pick in the 2009 NBA Draft!

Thank God for geoff petrie

ackar
09-02-2009, 01:15 PM
At least the Wolves owns his rights so regardless they will either get something for him or he will play his first few years in the NBA for them. Plus they have Flynn and i am thinking Flynn might be th ebetter pro when all siad and done. Sure Rubio maybe more marketable and maybe have a better upside so far Kahn is looking pretty smart now it did not seem so back then. Draft day that is.

Lisound15
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
could be a blessing in disguise for them... if they end up sucking for 2 more year, getting better draft picks and players, then adding rubio, they might be able to compete. but as of right now they got jippedddd

Faneik
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Rubio signed with Barcelona.

http://www.record.pt/fotogalerianoticia.aspx?channelid=00002439-0000-0000-0000-000000002439&contentid=edb57588-86bb-47a0-8c07-5b4a476a7218

AlexTmz2
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
hope he never plays in the NBA!

blastmasta26
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, Flynn will probably be good, so in 2 years they will trade Rubio for some quality players.

Chronz
09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I dont know why teams dont do this more often, just draft the euro lottery player, stash him overseas while your team is sucking stockpile more assets and then when Rubio is ready to come over, he'll be a better player and you'll have THAT Rubio under contract for dirt cheap making your window to add players around Jefferson much larger.

Really what good can come from Rubio playing this year? Hes a teen, let him become a man first.

Jays Claw
09-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Ricky Rubio put the Minnesota Timberwolves through hell this summer.

Cromedome
09-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Why did the wolves draft him in the first place? Clearly he didn't want to play for that city/team...so blame the wolves for thinking they had a shot.

ChiSox219
09-02-2009, 05:19 PM
He's 18, playing 2 years in Europe is probably best for everyone. The T'wolves can stock a couple more lottery players and then trade Flynn when Rubio is read.

18 years old...how many posters here are that age? How many of them could've handled the situation any differently than it played out?

Hellcrooner
09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
listen dudes.

Put your hand in your heart and answer sincerely.

The agreement that Khan got with jouventut featured rubio paying 90% of his rookis slaary from his own pocket.

That is he would afte taxes be making like 50000 dollars a year.

His contrat with barcelona gives him 1300000 TAX free dollars a year.

and then in two years he will go to wolves. at age 20!!!!! and much more nba ready so the posibility of busting will be way less,

Tell me what woudl you do ? wait two years with a lesser risk to bust and earn 2600000 dollars or go now risk your career becaus eyou can bust and earn 100000 dollars?

DitchDat
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
do draft rights ever "lapse", like, do the Timberwolves ever lose Rubio's rights?

BkOriginalOne
09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
David Khan is to blame.
Worst back to back picks in NBA history (good players, but bad picks)
I think Flynn will be better anyways.
Who is the most sucessful pg who can't shoot or defend?
Just doesn't happen in the NBA.

Hellcrooner
09-02-2009, 08:09 PM
no but if he satys in spain 3 tyears he escapes the rookie salary scale and can demmand a higher salary

Hellcrooner
09-02-2009, 08:10 PM
i bet you something rubio will use that thing to pressure woves to trade his rights

D_Rose1118
09-02-2009, 08:20 PM
listen dudes.

Put your hand in your heart and answer sincerely.

The agreement that Khan got with jouventut featured rubio paying 90% of his rookis slaary from his own pocket.

That is he would afte taxes be making like 50000 dollars a year.

His contrat with barcelona gives him 1300000 TAX free dollars a year.

and then in two years he will go to wolves. at age 20!!!!! and much more nba ready so the posibility of busting will be way less,

Tell me what woudl you do ? wait two years with a lesser risk to bust and earn 2600000 dollars or go now risk your career becaus eyou can bust and earn 100000 dollars?

Sometimes the best thing to do for your self isn't the right thing to do overall.

I still don't get why he entered the draft.

I don't care if he didn't think he was gonna go that low, maybe he should get off his own nuts and not think he is all that and wont slip down the draft board.

Hellcrooner
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
rubio CAN deffend and it showed it against Paul , Deron and Kidd

shoot will come

SeoulBeatz
09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Why did the wolves draft him in the first place? Clearly he didn't want to play for that city/team...so blame the wolves for thinking they had a shot.

i semi agree.

sure no player is bigger than the team, but the T Wolves brass shouldve known better. and they did, by getting johnny flynn.

ill say this much....

If i was in his position (being a YOUNG/ FOREIGN player) I wouldnt want to go to minnesota either. especially when they drafted ANOTHER YOUNG PG right next to you.

yes im sure its very pretty over there but from a business/location standpoint (which are Rubio's main priorities obviously) im sure he would much rather play in a big city like New York/ L.A.

I'm 100% positive that if Rubio was drafted by New York this would NOT be an issue.

cmon do u really believe that they wouldnt be able to make this work if Rubio had gotten exactly what he wanted to go to a team without a true pg in the biggest city in the world with a young group of players?

there is a big difference between NY and Minnny and i guarantee that is the only reason Rubio isn't in the NBA this year.

minny may be better off without him though.

Toenail Clipper
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
What a waste of time.

Hellcrooner
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Spurs waited two years for D Robinson

Celtis waiter 1 year for Larry Bird (with the risk of him going back to draft)

Spurs waited 2 years for Manu
Jazz waited a year for Kirilenko

Blazers waited to years for RUdy.....

see a patern here?

no waste of time

Rhino
09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a spoiled lil brat who didn't like the fact that Minn drafted him. Whats new in the world of the NBA. I don't think Minn deserved to be treated like this, and I hope Rubio mans up accepts the fact that you can't pick who you play for only Kobe was able to get away with that, and Rubio is no where near Kobe's calibur.

theimortalone
09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Thank god Rubio doesn't play for my favorite team, or I would be so pissed that this kid cannot make up his mind. So **** is he staying in Spain or leaving? Holy hell.

ChiSox219
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
David Khan is to blame.
Worst back to back picks in NBA history (good players, but bad picks)
I think Flynn will be better anyways.
Who is the most sucessful pg who can't shoot or defend?
Just doesn't happen in the NBA.

Jason Kidd

ko8e24
09-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Rubio is hype, nothing much. Flynn was a good pick. he was picked for basketball on the court reasons while Rubio was picked for marketing. simple as that. a marketable players is not always a great player.

Hellcrooner
09-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Sounds like a spoiled lil brat who didn't like the fact that Minn drafted him. Whats new in the world of the NBA. I don't think Minn deserved to be treated like this, and I hope Rubio mans up accepts the fact that you can't pick who you play for only Kobe was able to get away with that, and Rubio is no where near Kobe's calibur.

Larry bird did say he woud stay 1 mor eyear in college to ensure he ws drafted by celts

dr j did say he wouldnt play for bucks if they drafted him, the did so he joined aba.

s franchise didnt want grizzz got taken to houston.

danny ferry would not sing with clips and in fact went a year to europe so they would trade his rights,

jim jackson , jason kidd there are many more names that got away with it.

JayAllDay
09-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Uhm...

What kind of post is Not Needed enough to be deleted?... in all seriousness all posts are not really necessary -_-;

Anyways, I don't think they really had a deal in place. I think Khan (Kahn?) is just trying to save face by "saying" that Rubio backed out.

ChiSox219
09-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Rubio is hype, nothing much. Flynn was a good pick. he was picked for basketball on the court reasons while Rubio was picked for marketing. simple as that. a marketable players is not always a great player.

Incorrect.

Glenfidish
09-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I understand why Timberwolves picked him, but they should have done there research before hand. I blame this squarely on the organization. An organization that has messed up several times and has left the fans once again scracthing there heads in dissapointment. I feel for the fans as a raptor fan. Cause we also got screwed when vince wanted out.

The fact of the matter is he never wanted to play with Minnisota. He would have preferred a more european flavour team. Maybe another city. It was clear in his expression after the draft, he did not feel excited, for a young kid. Minnisota mangement knew this, but they rolled the dice trying to convince him. This will not be pretty. And i guarantee you there will be other issues along the way. Minnisota should look for a trade scenario. They should put there ego aside and get fair value but not the world. They clearly made the mistake. Now they must fix it for the fans.

Byronicle
09-03-2009, 12:21 PM
why would you want Ricky to play right away?? Yea the team will improve if he plays but is that necessary a good thing? if you think about it this way for the next 2 years the wolves will be crap, which would give them high 1st round draft picks to get more talent, whereas if Ricky came and made an impact on the team, the wolves wouldn't get such a high pick...and when Ricky comes to the NBA better prepared, then wolves are going to be a very scary team to deal with. He is only 18, people do not realize NBA players start off in college for a year or 2 before they come into the league, by then they are 19 or 20, when Ricky comes in he be 20 just like any other normal NBA rookie

WSU Tony
09-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Were the wolves planning on winning in the next 2 years anyways? Basically I look at it this way: The wolves have 2 more years to get high draft picks (they have 3 first rounders next year), Rubio gains experience in the mean time, and when he does come here in 2 years the team will be primed to win with a PG with a BRAND NEW rookie scale contract.

I don't mind it at all.

Then again, 90% of PSD posters are about instant gratification..... Look BIG picture!

johnnychan
09-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Ruuuuuubbbbbbiiiooooo

Verbal Christ
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
poo widdle wicky woobio ... i think his mommy still sets out his clothes on the bed and prefers the suppository method to treating colds. pop that titty out your mouth boy and let them testes drop already, good grief.

Rhino
09-04-2009, 10:01 PM
poo widdle wicky woobio ... i think his mommy still sets out his clothes on the bed and prefers the suppository method to treating colds. pop that titty out your mouth boy and let them testes drop already, good grief.

Lol completely agree :clap:

WSU Tony
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
The 18 year old kid doesn't want to move (maybe by himself) to a foreign country when he hardly speaks english. What about that isn't scary in your opinion?

And to think, you probably know an 18 year old kid having trouble moving 50 miles from home for college.... in a country they have lived all their life.... and speaking english isn't a problem.

boeknows
09-06-2009, 01:29 AM
If i recal Andrew Bynum still lives with his mom in LA. I dont see everyone making fun of him.