PDA

View Full Version : The Mentalists: The NBA's 10 Smartest Players

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/240529-the-mentalists-the-nbas-10-smartest-players#page/10

In no particular order, since it is a slide show

Intellect and instinct—two of the most important attributes in the NBA. This is a serenade to the most intellectual players in the league.

This is purely subjective stuff, so you won't find any scholastic aptitude tests, ACT results, or IQ scores on this list.

What you will find are players that think it before they do it, so it should come as no surprise that the majority of the players on this list are point guards—the guys who see the play before it happens.

I'm sure this list will be scrutinized and debated, but, hey, if it's not...what fun is that? So, here they are: the brainiacs of the NBA.

Kobe Bryant-Los Angeles Lakers

You see it in his scowl, Kobe has took your game apart before you hit the court. I'm not a Duke fan, but that is where Bryant was going to school, and those dudes are smart.

Kobe is a scholar of the game, and he recognizes the Art of War. As Sun Tsu says, "know your enemy," and Kobe takes that to heart. He arguably is the most thinking man in the game; what he did to Artest is legendary. He took a future teammate and made him his ******. Classic.

Chauncey Billups-Denver Nuggets

Chauncey put in work. He went from being the fourth pick in the draft, to also ran, to top point guard. That is a journey, but Billups did it with class, and smarts.

His talent was never doubted but his smarts were underestimated. He bounced around until a good coach (Larry Brown) saw exactly what he was: the most competitive, passionate, brainiac in the league.

The NBA should take note, Chauncey may not be the best, but he has used his smarts to show that he is one of the most intelligent.

Jason Kidd-Dallas Mavericks

"The Prototype," what else can you say about Jason Kidd? Besides Magic, he is the definition of the point guard position when you factor in size (sorry John Stockton).

The only knock on him is that he shoots the ball, but lately they have been falling—I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

Kidd's feel for the game is unprecedented, his vision, futuristic. He is the model that today's points must follow.

Dwyane Wade-Miami Heat

Wade is cerebral because he has to be. No one expected him to do the things he has done. He was seen as a decent player, but not much more. We should have learned from Marquette.

During the NCAA's, Carmelo was the star, but Wade was a much smarter player. Anthony's team was built to win a championship, Wade's was built to compete, yet he almost pulled it off.

Skip to now. Wade has a ring, while Anthony has a feature on a B-More gang tape. Brains, anyone?

Steve Nash-Phoenix Suns

Steve Nash defines the run-and-gun, able to make good decisions in a split second, if that were my style he is my point guard.

The fact that he can push the ball at break-neck speeds is irrelevant; the fact that he can make competent choices while doing it is priceless.

Nash, being a good shooter is secondary, is the master of his art. Able to decide in a moment and can hit the shot from distance? Where Yo head at?

Tim Duncan-San Antonio Spurs

We've seen players with his skill (maybe), we've seen players with his passion (probably), but we have never seen a power forward with his brain. The only mistakes Duncan makes is when he misses a shot.

I have never seen him out of place, have never seen him miss a defensive assignment, and never seen him in a negative position.

Duncan's failures have been due to luck and the skill of opposing players. Duncan is the "Big Fundamental."

Deron Williams-Utah Jazz

The great point guard debate of the last few years has been between Chris Paul and Deron Williams. The difference is Paul plays the game and reacts, Williams sees the game and predicts. Instinct and Intellect.

That is perhaps, what separates them (besides size) and contributes to this argument. Paul is flash because of the moment and, Williams is steady because of preparation.

This, of course, would never settle the debate but, you've never seen Wlilliams punch a player out of frustration.

Boris Diaw-Charlotte Bobcats

We could learn a lot from the French—health care, sexual passion, sophistication—but the most important thing is: it's better to give than receive.

No player illustrates this better than Diaw. He has all the tools to be an elite player in the league, but he sacrificed that for the better of the team.

The caveat is, is that he is still one of the better players in the league, he just doesn't get the recognition.

Playing in Charlotte has a lot to do with that, the way he plays means much more. Diaw and cerebral should go together, because he thinks the game before he plays the game better than anyone in the NBA.

Joe Johnson-Atlanta Hawks

Joe is the player that makes the Atlanta Hawks go. Far from being the most athletic player on the team, (that goes to Marvin Wiliams and Josh Smith), he is the one irreplaceable part on the team.

Maybe it's from playing with the veteran-laden team in Phoenix, but I like to think that Johnson hit the learning curve and sped past it. He has learned that you don't have to be loud to be heard and the Hawks are becoming a regular in the playoffs because of it.

He's the type that would rather show you his moves than talk about them. 'Nuff said.

Kirk Hinrich-Chicago Bulls

He's 6'3" but he plays a lot bigger, and his heart is huge, but his brain is bigger.

I start with Hinrich because he is the epitome of a heady player, blessed with skills, ball-handling, shooting, and defensive technique, but his intelligence is what makes him stand out.

Kirk is able to play three positions and never be out of place.

His size makes him vulnerable when playing the three position, but his smarts allow him to make the right adjustments and not lose much in the bargain.

Mavrix
08-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Shane Battier needs to be on that list

jimbobjarree
oo lovin the d will part, so true

Mavrix
Same with Tony Parker

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Shane Battier needs to be on that list

i think here they also talking offensively, not just defensively. battier's only offense is the corner 3-ball, and the ocassional 3 pointer from the wing. his repertoire offensively is limited, so its not a matter of him being "smart" or not in that regard.

take a guy like diaw for instance. hes pretty solid defensively, can guard the likes of a guard or forward (1-4 position), has a solid J, and takes advantage of mismatches on smaller guys by posting them up. he is smart offensively & defensively is what the site is tryin to say

Jays Claw
08-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I also think Shane Battier needs to be on that list.

Gambeezy
08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I like the list but I think Chris Paul could make a case. He's led the league in steals and assists.

TheMicrowave
08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Chris Dudely

He graduated from Yale.

Kakaroach
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
oo lovin the d will part, so true x2 So glad to see some people recognize it.

Gambeezy
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I wonder why you posted this...

Kobe's on the list but the whole thing is pretty interesting and fairly accurate. I don't think he posted to simply cram some more Kobe down our throat.

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Kobe's on the list but the whole thing is pretty interesting and fairly accurate. I don't think he posted to simply cram some more Kobe down our throat.

Thank you sir. And if you didn't notice (not you Gambeezy, the guy u replied to), D-Wade is on this list as well, so stop :cry:

and credits go to JordansBulls. I saw him post this on the Bulls Forum, since Hinrich was 1 of the 10 on the list.

blah-blah
08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
chris dudely

he graduated from yale.

what!?

KnicksR4Real
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Chris Duhon! He isn't the best but he is a smart veteran!

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
what!?

chris dudley, HOF material, son!

Mavrix
08-30-2009, 09:00 PM
i think here they also talking offensively, not just defensively. battier's only offense is the corner 3-ball, and the ocassional 3 pointer from the wing. his repertoire offensively is limited, so its not a matter of him being "smart" or not in that regard.

take a guy like diaw for instance. hes pretty solid defensively, can guard the likes of a guard or forward (1-4 position), has a solid J, and takes advantage of mismatches on smaller guys by posting them up. he is smart offensively & defensively is what the site is tryin to say
You can say that about a number of different players. Shawn Marion comes to mind

Hustla23
08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Didn't Brook Lopez go to Stanford? lol :)

Boss Man Chief
08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
What is goin on? Lebron defintely needs to be on this list. He is definitely one of the smartest players in the league. He improves all aspects of his game every season. He knows when to attack both offensively and defensively and knows how to use his natural ability to his advantage.

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
You can say that about a number of different players. Shawn Marion comes to mind

but is he smart offensively? is he really all that good offensively, or is stuff on the offensive side already manufactured for him (cough....jason kidd....steve nash....cough)

P.S.: J-Kidd (early 2000s Suns days, and now with mavs)
Nash (04-08 Suns)

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM
What is goin on? Lebron defintely needs to be on this list. He is definitely one of the smartest players in the league. He improves all aspects of his game every season. He knows when to attack both offensively and defensively and knows how to use his natural ability to his advantage.

:eyebrow: :rolleyes: :speechless: :pity: = :facepalm:

Hustla23
08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm calling for a league wide IQ test !

sugarrayray
08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
ray allen ray allen ray allen. the guy is so well spoken. an accomplished pianist, actor and golfer. and hes one sportsmanship awards plenty of times

Iodine
08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Deshawn stevenson
he found out how to rape the willing

Boss Man Chief
08-30-2009, 09:28 PM
How is he not smart?!? He is predicted to be a billionaire before 30 and averaged 30-7-7. He posterizes players not just by physically dominating them but also because of his game smart. But he's not smart...get of kobe's jockstrap.

roshan3ai
08-30-2009, 09:40 PM
wheres bo outlaw?

DerekRE_3
08-30-2009, 09:45 PM
THANK YOU. Boris Diaw is on the list. The guy is so underrated it's criminal. Larry Brown himself has said that Boris Diaw knows the game better than he does.

Toenail Clipper
08-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Stop saying "Chris Paul" or "Tony Parker" blah blah blah.
Why? Cause if you do put them, why not put every point guard to exist in the NBA. >_>

Ethix11
08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I heard somewhere that D-Fish was one of the smartest players in the league if not the most.

DRE'-MAC
08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
How are Chris Paul and Shane Battier not on this list

Gambeezy
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Stop saying "Chris Paul" or "Tony Parker" blah blah blah.
Why? Cause if you do put them, why not put every point guard to exist in the NBA. >_>

....because every point guard in the NBA isn't Chris Paul :facepalm:

TheMicrowave
08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
How are Chris Paul and Shane Battier not on this list

Because they had bad SAT scores.

TheMicrowave
08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Coaches? PJ

Mavrix
08-30-2009, 09:57 PM
PJ Carlesimo looks like a guy that would walk into a Date Line NBC "To Catch a Predator" set to fondle some poor little boy.

Mave1002
08-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Youre missin this dude.:cool:

blazerman
08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
How is he not smart?!? He is predicted to be a billionaire before 30 and averaged 30-7-7. He posterizes players not just by physically dominating them but also because of his game smart. But he's not smart...get of kobe's jockstrap.

Dont you know anything, Lebron is a gifted Physical beast! He isnt getting paid for being the smartest guy on the floor, he's getting paid because is is physically to much for guys to handle and can dominate anyone on the court with his strength and speed.

I doubt lebron has Kobe's understanding of the game or even Brandon Roy's but he is a manchild but dont try and make him out to be an Enstein.

By the way Roy should be in the top 10 before half of those guys, the guy was a college grad and a 2 time all american in college and is on the verge of superstardom in the NBA! Ray Allen is very gifted as well.
How did Kirk Hinrich get on that list.

Spurred1
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Isn't this list primarily based on court smarts and not book smarts? The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
So even if a player belongs to Mensa and graduated with honors from Harvard or Yale, if he plays like Gerald Green and makes horrible plays he's not going to make this list.
Ray Allen is a very gifted shooter who has done a number of good things both on and off court and seems to be an intelligent high character guy. Not sure he belongs on this list, though.

mrblisterdundee
08-30-2009, 10:57 PM
1. Kevin Garnett - He'll do anything to get into your head (bark, bark, Bayless).
2. Robert Horry - His head games almost solely kept the Suns from beating the Lakers. Watch Steve Nash fly.
3. Lamar Odom - He's another player that understands the advantage of pissing his opponents off.
4. Ron Artest - This guy is always giving off a don't-****-with-me-because-I'm-just-that-unstable mentality.
5. Birdman - He's perfected the dangerous meth-head image that sends so many NBA ballerinas packing.
6. Bruce Bowen - What the hell has he got to lose? Exactly;)
7. Tim Duncan - I swear that guy never has to move faster than three miles per hour.
8. Dikembe Mutumbo - Nobody wants a wagging finger up their anus.
9. Rasheed Wallace - Whoever gets the most technical fouls has the biggest nuts. It's too bad that only Sheed knows that.
10. Stephon Marbury - "Cause I just don't don't give a ****."

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 11:06 PM
1. Kevin Garnett - He'll do anything to get into your head (bark, bark, Bayless).
2. Robert Horry - His head games almost solely kept the Suns from beating the Lakers. Watch Steve Nash fly.
3. Lamar Odom - He's another player that understands the advantage of pissing his opponents off.
4. Ron Artest - This guy is always giving off a don't-****-with-me-because-I'm-just-that-unstable mentality.
5. Birdman - He's perfected the dangerous meth-head image that sends so many NBA ballerinas packing.
6. Bruce Bowen - What the hell has he got to lose? Exactly;)
7. Tim Duncan - I swear that guy never has to move faster than three miles per hour.
8. Dikembe Mutumbo - Nobody wants a wagging finger up their anus.
9. Rasheed Wallace - Whoever gets the most technical fouls has the biggest nuts. It's too bad that only Sheed knows that.
10. Stephon Marbury - "Cause I just don't don't give a ****."

:clap:

oh and btw, big shot rob is already retired. he retired after 07-08 season, lol. and deke gonna retire b4 09-10 season starts

disk 8
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
lebron should be on the list. he as smart as any nba star if were talking about basketball smarts.

AllTheWay
08-30-2009, 11:48 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/240529-the-mentalists-the-nbas-10-smartest-players#page/10

We could learn a lot from the French—health care, sexual passion, sophistication—but the most important thing is: it's better to give than receive.

No player illustrates this better than Diaw. He has all the tools to be an elite player in the league, but he sacrificed that for the better of the team.

The caveat is, is that he is still one of the better players in the league, he just doesn't get the recognition.

Playing in Charlotte has a lot to do with that, the way he plays means much more. Diaw and cerebral should go together, because he thinks the game before he plays the game better than anyone in the NBA.

Another thing to be learned from the French is how to surrender.

And whine :p

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 11:49 PM
lebron should be on the list. he as smart as any nba star if were talking about basketball smarts.

:laugh:

Raps08-09 Champ
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
List is so wrong.

No Bargnani or Bynum.

Kobe4Life
08-31-2009, 12:59 AM
:clap:kobe for sure #1

jjfan122
08-31-2009, 01:40 AM
i'm in love with the joe johnson part.

SeeMeSawYou
08-31-2009, 01:45 AM

i hope this is a joke

Lakersfan2483
08-31-2009, 01:50 AM
Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Lebron James, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol and Brandon Roy all come to mind in terms of being highly intelligent bball players.

Gambeezy
08-31-2009, 02:10 AM
:clap:kobe for sure #1

It clearly says "In no particular order."

You're ruining it for the majority of Laker fans who aren't ridiculous homers.

SeeMeSawYou
08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
Shane Battier and Grant Hill should be considered for this list

LA_Raiders
08-31-2009, 02:38 AM
looks good...Pau Gasol should be there too IMO...

COBY KARL
08-31-2009, 02:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbDADzklyI

he sure does :D

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 03:03 AM
It clearly says "In no particular order."

You're ruining it for the majority of Laker fans who aren't ridiculous homers.

lol, dont pay too much attention to the guy. he just being passionate. he's prolly really young. just let it pass this time, lol

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 03:04 AM
looks good...Pau Gasol should be there too IMO...

Well, he is smart, but the thing is that he's only been noticed for 1-2 seasons. maybe now that hez a laker, hell get recognized more for his bball IQ, and then he'll for sure be on that list.

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 03:06 AM
PJ Carlesimo looks like a guy that would walk into a Date Line NBC "To Catch a Predator" set to fondle some poor little boy.

lol, i think when the guy that posted before u said PJ, i think he meant Phil Jackson (the best coach in the world)

CELTICS4LYFE
08-31-2009, 09:27 AM
ray allen ray allen ray allen. The guy is so well spoken. An accomplished pianist, actor and golfer. And hes one sportsmanship awards plenty of times

agree 100% he is the ultimate professional

MTar786
08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
lebron should not be on that list guys. come on.. when did he become one of the top court smart nba players?? he can run the floor.. but he isnt the smartest. roy should be on that list for sure tho

blue collar B
08-31-2009, 11:22 AM
******** thread. Most of the smartest players probably aren't even considered stars. They are probably role players that have to be smart just to stay in the league. Maybe if you said smartest elite players in the NBA that would be more accurate.

Matrix3132
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM

I don't translate piano playing, golf, nor acting toward overall intelligence, I think those are learned skills that a lot of people can achieve if they put their mind to them.

Are we talking about basketball IQ or general intelligence (something off the court and unrelated to basketball) because I think a lot of the names here fall into those two different categories but not always in both.

Shane Battier seems like an intelligent guy, however, offensive deficiencies make his overall game and bb IQ take a hit, in my book, whereas Lebron's game and often his decision making are HOF worthy but lets face it, you can tell he never stepped foot on a college campus...

CELTICS4LYFE
08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't translate piano playing, golf, nor acting toward overall intelligence, I think those are learned skills that a lot of people can achieve if they put their mind to them.

Are we talking about basketball IQ or general intelligence (something off the court and unrelated to basketball) because I think a lot of the names here fall into those two different categories but not always in both.

Shane Battier seems like an intelligent guy, however, offensive deficiencies make his overall game and bb IQ take a hit, in my book, whereas Lebron's game and often his decision making are HOF worthy but lets face it, you can tell he never stepped foot on a college campus...

yes but he is the smartest guy on the team since he has came here on n off the court...he has kg n pierce(prob the rest of the team too) eating right n working out smarter not harder....also smartest player doesnt = most taleneted

Matrix3132
08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
yes but he is the smartest guy on the team since he has came here on n off the court...he has kg n pierce(prob the rest of the team too) eating right n working out smarter not harder....also smartest player doesnt = most taleneted

He has the team eating right huh? I guess big baby must miss these nutritional sessions led by ray....

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 11:50 AM

wtf? :confused: wut does professional have to do with being smart on the court???

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 11:51 AM
]******** thread[/B]. Most of the smartest players probably aren't even considered stars. They are probably role players that have to be smart just to stay in the league. Maybe if you said smartest elite players in the NBA that would be more accurate.

if u don't lke coming to this particular thread, then y post? :confused:

Matrix3132
08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
wtf? :confused: wut does professional have to do with being smart on the court???

Agreed, ray is classy, don't get me wrong, but I, and I think others, translate being an intelligent player to understanding the game in a way that allows players do amazing things on the court when talent fails and when you look at allen, his fallback is one of the best shots in the game, not BB IQ

azkarraga
08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
i guess what the writer is looking for is those players that always seem to make the right decision on court. people that have a clear view and understanding of what their teams need in any given time and are able to do it. and lebron is not always there nor c paul or tony parker (but they shouldnt worry: being wise comes with age, sometimes)

zamudio_jorge
08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
manu ginobili

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 12:22 PM
manu ginobili

offensively yes, defensively, somewhat.

ko8e24
08-31-2009, 12:23 PM
i would also go as far as to say that shaq has a pretty good bball IQ

azkarraga
08-31-2009, 12:39 PM
i would also go as far as to say that shaq has a pretty good bball IQ

he thinks fast and (used) to act fast. he's kind of wise, the way kids are. but dont know if hes got a high bball IQ. IMO, he talks too much, doesnt he?

Unruly Fan
08-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Lebron James, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol and Brandon Roy all come to mind in terms of being highly intelligent bball players.I agree with Brandon Roy and Gasol.

Ginobili anyone?

Gambeezy
08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
manu ginobili

Ginobili anyone?

G-spot is pretty good when attacking the rim and selecting shots. I have difficulty respecting his defensive awareness though, mainly b/c it consists of some of the most dramatic flops in the NBA. He's a tool and I hate when we play the Spurs.

Lakersho
08-31-2009, 01:55 PM
pretty good list,we all know kobe, billups damb smart ,look what one guy done to the nuggets...

Lakersho
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
I agree with Brandon Roy and Gasol.

Ginobili anyone?

no to ginobili, gasol i would say,but ill get bashed for homerizm.::eyebrow:

njnets
08-31-2009, 02:03 PM
battier HAS to be on the list. wade on that list is comical to be honest. everything else is pretty legit though.

Lakersho
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
I agree with Brandon Roy and Gasol.

Ginobili anyone?

no ginobili, i say gasol, let the bashing begin for homerism.:eyebrow:

Rams_Bartell24
08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
If Kobe was smart he wouldn't of got caught with that white chick. But I guess he is if he still has a legit marriage. :) Don't bash, all fun people, get over it.

MrFastBreak
08-31-2009, 10:52 PM
List is so wrong.

No Bargnani or Bynum.

:laugh:

smith&wesson
08-31-2009, 11:11 PM
I think battier and pierce need to definatly be on that last. specially before diaw.

richardle9
08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
kobe would be a really good coach when he retires

BUCSFORLIFE123
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM

In no particular order, since it is a slide show

Intellect and instinct—two of the most important attributes in the NBA. This is a serenade to the most intellectual players in the league.

This is purely subjective stuff, so you won't find any scholastic aptitude tests, ACT results, or IQ scores on this list.

What you will find are players that think it before they do it, so it should come as no surprise that the majority of the players on this list are point guards—the guys who see the play before it happens.

I'm sure this list will be scrutinized and debated, but, hey, if it's not...what fun is that? So, here they are: the brainiacs of the NBA.

Kobe Bryant-Los Angeles Lakers

You see it in his scowl, Kobe has took your game apart before you hit the court. I'm not a Duke fan, but that is where Bryant was going to school, and those dudes are smart.

Kobe is a scholar of the game, and he recognizes the Art of War. As Sun Tsu says, "know your enemy," and Kobe takes that to heart. He arguably is the most thinking man in the game; what he did to Artest is legendary. He took a future teammate and made him his ******. Classic.

Chauncey Billups-Denver Nuggets

Chauncey put in work. He went from being the fourth pick in the draft, to also ran, to top point guard. That is a journey, but Billups did it with class, and smarts.

His talent was never doubted but his smarts were underestimated. He bounced around until a good coach (Larry Brown) saw exactly what he was: the most competitive, passionate, brainiac in the league.

The NBA should take note, Chauncey may not be the best, but he has used his smarts to show that he is one of the most intelligent.

Jason Kidd-Dallas Mavericks

"The Prototype," what else can you say about Jason Kidd? Besides Magic, he is the definition of the point guard position when you factor in size (sorry John Stockton).

The only knock on him is that he shoots the ball, but lately they have been falling—I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

Kidd's feel for the game is unprecedented, his vision, futuristic. He is the model that today's points must follow.

Dwyane Wade-Miami Heat

Wade is cerebral because he has to be. No one expected him to do the things he has done. He was seen as a decent player, but not much more. We should have learned from Marquette.

During the NCAA's, Carmelo was the star, but Wade was a much smarter player. Anthony's team was built to win a championship, Wade's was built to compete, yet he almost pulled it off.

Skip to now. Wade has a ring, while Anthony has a feature on a B-More gang tape. Brains, anyone?

Steve Nash-Phoenix Suns

Steve Nash defines the run-and-gun, able to make good decisions in a split second, if that were my style he is my point guard.

The fact that he can push the ball at break-neck speeds is irrelevant; the fact that he can make competent choices while doing it is priceless.

Nash, being a good shooter is secondary, is the master of his art. Able to decide in a moment and can hit the shot from distance? Where Yo head at?

Tim Duncan-San Antonio Spurs

We've seen players with his skill (maybe), we've seen players with his passion (probably), but we have never seen a power forward with his brain. The only mistakes Duncan makes is when he misses a shot.

I have never seen him out of place, have never seen him miss a defensive assignment, and never seen him in a negative position.

Duncan's failures have been due to luck and the skill of opposing players. Duncan is the "Big Fundamental."

Deron Williams-Utah Jazz

The great point guard debate of the last few years has been between Chris Paul and Deron Williams. The difference is Paul plays the game and reacts, Williams sees the game and predicts. Instinct and Intellect.

That is perhaps, what separates them (besides size) and contributes to this argument. Paul is flash because of the moment and, Williams is steady because of preparation.

This, of course, would never settle the debate but, you've never seen Wlilliams punch a player out of frustration.

Joe Johnson-Atlanta Hawks

Joe is the player that makes the Atlanta Hawks go. Far from being the most athletic player on the team, (that goes to Marvin Wiliams and Josh Smith), he is the one irreplaceable part on the team.

Maybe it's from playing with the veteran-laden team in Phoenix, but I like to think that Johnson hit the learning curve and sped past it. He has learned that you don't have to be loud to be heard and the Hawks are becoming a regular in the playoffs because of it.

He's the type that would rather show you his moves than talk about them. 'Nuff said.

Kirk Hinrich-Chicago Bulls

He's 6'3" but he plays a lot bigger, and his heart is huge, but his brain is bigger.

I start with Hinrich because he is the epitome of a heady player, blessed with skills, ball-handling, shooting, and defensive technique, but his intelligence is what makes him stand out.

Kirk is able to play three positions and never be out of place.

His size makes him vulnerable when playing the three position, but his smarts allow him to make the right adjustments and not lose much in the bargain.

the tim duncan one made me feel like hes chuck norris after reading his hahaha

dodie53
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM
present and former suns players
;)

MajorFloridaFan
08-31-2009, 11:38 PM
adonal foyle is real smart but real bad on the court

MackSnackWrap
09-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Battier should definitely be on that list, has one of the highest basketball Iq's
(Post # 100 :) )