PDA

View Full Version : Source: Piston Bad Boy Bill Laimbeer Joins Showtime Laker Kurt Rambis to Coach Wolves

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 12:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4432367

Bill Laimbeer is heading back to the NBA.

The former Detroit Pistons center, who coached the WNBA's Detroit Shock to three titles, will join Kurt Rambis' staff with the Minnesota Timberwolves, a league source confirmed to ESPN. Former Kings coach Reggie Theus also will join Rambis' staff.

Laimbeer's hiring was first reported by the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Laimbeer, who has never coached in the NBA, resigned as the Shock's coach and general manager in June.

Playing with the Pistons' "Bad Boys" teams in the late '80s, Laimbeer helped Detroit win back-to-back titles.

ManRam
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Bill had a ton of success with the ladies...we'll see how his coaching transfers over to the NBA. Not so sure he can be as effective. Interesting move nonetheless.

ko8e24
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Bill had a ton of success with the ladies...we'll see how his coaching transfers over to the NBA. Not so sure he can be as effective. Interesting move nonetheless.

should be interesting indeed

Lakersfan2483
08-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Hopefully, Kurt succeeds in turning Minnesota around, he's putting together a solid coaching staff.

LakeShowRaider
08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Wow. Kurt sure knows how to assemble a star power coaching staff. I see the Wolves winning atleast 40 games next season. Kurt's going to be a great coach

Trouble87
08-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Rambis is making moves....

if only the roster would match the coaching staff

DetroitRipCity
08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
ill tell you what with the addition of Laimbeer Minnesota officially has a NO BULL **** lockerroom

DitchDat
08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I think Minnesota is really doing a good job putting the whole thing together again.

blazerman
08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Interesting choice but I like it. Laimbeer should be able to teach their young bigs a little something about toughness.

Between Laimbeer and Rambis there's a lot of championship experience and the young players could learn a great deal if they buy into Rambis' plans.

Theus would give the team a players coach type which could also benefit the young Twolves.

The front office seems to be shaping up nicely in Minnesota.

boeknows
08-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Wow. Kurt sure knows how to assemble a star power coaching staff. I see the Wolves winning atleast 40 games next season. Kurt's going to be a great coach

I doubt it. We will probably win between 23 and 27 games this next year.

WSU Tony
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Lets turn the culture around.....

D-Leethal
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Minny bring alot of respectable guys in. Man if they kept OJ they would probably compete for the playoffs next year. OJ/Al Jeff would be one of the best inside/out duo's in the league

boeknows
08-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Id much rather have Love than OJ.

D-Leethal
08-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Id much rather have Love than OJ.

really? I haven't seen much of Love so my opinion doesn't count as much as yours I guess. I just don't see Al excelling as much at C as he would as PF and we've all seen was back to the basket big men can do with a stud wing in this league......OJ has star potential I don't really see that with Love

AllTheWay
08-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Wow that is one solid coaching staff.

I think Theus could have done good things with the Kings given more time.

LA_Raiders
08-31-2009, 02:30 AM
Rambis, the best of luck, I hope he trade us some good players in the future...like McHore to Boston...lol

ElMarroAfamado
08-31-2009, 05:02 AM
wow
pretty interesting this maybe the first time i see a former player hire a couple more former players (recognizable names) like nothing
hmmmmm

Tom81
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Hopefully, Kurt succeeds in turning Minnesota around, he's putting together a solid coaching staff.

agreed

zambo4president
08-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Very solid coaching staff. Thats important.

Daze9900
08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
I hope this doesn't turn into a power problem in the locker room. We all know Laimbeer was dying to get into nba coaching. Def don't want kurt to have to look over his shoulder like that.

Missing56&33
08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
I think Bill Laimbeer would make a good NBA coach, I like the team Rambis is assembling to help the Wolves get back on track

WSU Tony
08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
really? I haven't seen much of Love so my opinion doesn't count as much as yours I guess. I just don't see Al excelling as much at C as he would as PF and we've all seen was back to the basket big men can do with a stud wing in this league......OJ has star potential I don't really see that with Love

OJ can score, but can he do anything else? Love is a 14/12 averaging guy next year as a 21 (22?) year old..... He doesn't jump through the roof and he doesn't play "sexy" but he gets his job done. He'll never be a star on sports center, which means he won't be recognized.

I think Bill Laimbeer would make a good NBA coach, I like the team Rambis is assembling to help the Wolves get back on track

With a young roster of Jefferson, Love, Brewer, Flynn, Ellington, Gomes, and now a big name Rubio, it really helps getting big named coaches. Development should increase the stagnant pace it's had the last few years. Nice.

boeknows
09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Rambis, the best of luck, I hope he trade us some good players in the future...like McHore to Boston...lol

he isnt the GM Kahn is

TheFuture6
09-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Minnesota should stop making good moves. Stay in the Northwest cellar!

LakePackYank
09-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Why are the wolves right now good with coaching decisions but not with the roster? (trading roy, trading mayo, and drafting 2 straight PGs while one of them goes to spain, biggest waste of a pick :pity: )

TheFuture6
09-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Why are the wolves right now good with coaching decisions but not with the roster? (trading roy, trading mayo, and drafting 2 straight PGs while one of them goes to spain, biggest waste of a pick :pity: )

Trading Roy and Mayo was by the previous front office. Plus the Mayo deal wasn't even bad. They got back a solid big in Kevin Love and moved a couple bad contracts. Now they have drafted Flynn who looks very good so far, and trying to cash in on the Rubio hype, which may or may not pay off. Minnesota is moving in the right direction.

LakePackYank
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Trading Roy and Mayo was by the previous front office. Plus the Mayo deal wasn't even bad. They got back a solid big in Kevin Love and moved a couple bad contracts. Now they have drafted Flynn who looks very good so far, and trying to cash in on the Rubio hype, which may or may not pay off. Minnesota is moving in the right direction.

Mayo is a star potential in the making. Love is more of a solid role player

Flynn is looking good but the wolves could have got curry or derozen with the pick instead of rubio.

boeknows
09-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Mayo is just a shooter nothing else. Love brings much more to the table than Mayo would with us.