PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - #1 Boston Celtics vs #3 Washington Wizards

BlondeBomber41
08-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Every offseason some of us on PSD do a mock offseason where we simulate an offseason by doing mock free agency and trades. Below are the rosters of two teams after the game, please look at both rosters and give your honest opinion on who you believe would win.

Remember, these votes have nothing to do with your real team so there is no reason to be a homer.

Boston Celtics Lineup:

C-Rasheed Wallace/Jeff Foster/Mark Blount
PF-Kevin Garnett/Kenyon Martin/Brian Skinner
SF-LeBron James/Shawne Williams
SG-Dahntay Jones/Keith Bogans
PG-Devin Harris/Luke Ridnour

Washington Wizards Lineup:

PG: Tony Parker - Keyon Dooling - Bobby Jackson
SG: Ronnie Brewer - Mickael Pietrus
SF: Corey Maggette - CJ Miles - Boki Nachbar
PF: Amare Stoudamire - Reggie Evans - Henk Norel
C: Nene - Nazr Mohommed - Jarron Collins

Boston Celtics Series Writeup:

First off, I would like to congratulate jimbob and robbob on advancing to the Eastern Conference Finals. They've greatly improved a messy basketball team to start with and good luck to both of them.

Frontcourt:

Kevin Garnett, in my eyes, is the best overall defender in the NBA. Whether or not he has lost a step, he will still be an elite defender upon his return to action this season and he has the toughness, size, length, and athleticism to effectively defend Amare inside or out. Kenyon Martin has played an uptempo style in his tenures in both Denver and New Jersey, so if he has to he'll have no problem chasing Stoudemire up and down the floor.

Rasheed Wallace, even at the tender age of 34, is still an elite post defender in the NBA. He is one of only four players in the league who have shown any kind of success defending Dwight Howard 1 on 1 in the post. In a lot of ways, Nene is similar to Howard in that he is a major physical presence inside, but still fairly raw as an offensive player. Wallace surely won't stop Nene from doing what he does in transition, but there's no question he and Jeff Foster are capable of limiting him.

Nene's defensive presence in the paint will be limited if he has to follow Wallace out to the 3 point line. While his outside shot is inconsistent, Wallace can't be left alone out there and his ability to space the floor in that way will open the lanes for penetration from LeBron and Harris.

Edge: Celtics

Small Forward:

Corey Maggette, physically, is as best suited to defend LeBron 1 on 1 as any player in the league. He has had some minimal success with him in the past but that was some years ago and LeBron just continues to refine himself as an offensive player every year. As I've stated previously it takes one hell of a defensive front or Kobe Bryant to do anything with LeBron James and the Wizards don't have either. Maggette and Brewer, should the Wizards choose to play him here some, won't be able to slow the most explosive player in the NBA without a top notch defensive front behind them. LeBron traditionally becomes even more dominant in the playoffs and that won't be any different here.

Edge: Celtics

Backcourt:

The Ronnie Brewer-Dahntay Jones match-up is clearly a wash. They're two explosive athletes who can get up and down the floor offensively, but their strongsuits are at the other end of the floor and in this match-up they'll essentially cancel each other out. Jones will spend some time defending Parker since defending that position was his specialty in Denver last season.

Like Harris and Rose last round, Harris and Parker will be an excellent match-up. These are two seasoned point guards who excel at getting to the lane and the foul line. I'll concede that TP is the better player but in a 1 on 1 match-up, it's just a wash. Harris is playing off LeBron and KG while Parker is playing off Amare and Nene. Not only that but Harris has a size and strength advantage without conceding any lateral speed to Parker. I'm inclined to believe the production from these two would be virtually identical throughout the series.

Edge: Even

The two bobs impressed me as much as any GM in the Mock in the way they improved this Wizards team. Defense wins championships and they have a rock solid defense but there are holes on their defensive front. My Celtic team has virtually none on the bench or in the starting lineup. Offensively, we would have no problem keeping up with them with all the different styles we can play. Good luck to jimbob and robbob..

Washington Wizards Series Writeup:

Now onto the matchups, we acknowledge this will be a tough series for us, but we feel we are the best, well rounded team in the league and equiped to match up well against anyone, and the Celtics are no exception.

PG- Parker v Harris
Tony Parker has been here, done that and bought the t shirt against better opponents than Devin. He is a finals MVP and a multiple ring winner with the skills to match his experience. I can see him lighting up Harris on the offensive end, with no real intimiadting shot blockers on the Celtics I'd expect to see Tony Parker getting to the hoop alot. On the defensive end there will be a conflict of ball handlers on the Celtics. Harris will want the ball in his hands, but Lebron will try and put the team on his shoulders. This will take away part of what makes Devin successful, and give Tony an easier roll on defense, hopefully turning Devin in to a catch and shoot player. Edge is definatly ours.

SG- Brewer v Jones
non factor really in this series. Brewer is obviously the better player, he's bigger, more athletic and a more intelligent scorer than Dahntay. Brewer picks his points up mainly with clever cuts under the basket, so he'll pick his points up against any opponent. Jones wont do anything on the offensive end, which is HUGE. This will allow me to rotate the men I put on Lebron James. Brewer can spend some time there, as well as Pietrus off the bench. These two have size and are both very athletic, and the two of them as well as the size of Maggette will have a great chance of slowing Lebron down, I dont know if he's ever faced 3 players like that guarding him in the same game. Agian, we win this matchup.

SF- Maggette v Lebron
Lebron is the best player in the league, but we have the best chance of any at slowing him down, making him fight for every point, isolating him, getting the ball out his hands etc etc. Maggette has had some success guarding him before. The tools are there for Maggette to be a good defender, but now the motivation is there getting as far as he has ever gone in the playoffs. If Maggette isnt working we can switch him to the 2 guard and have Ronnie Brewer have fun guarding Lebron. We then have Pietrus off the bench who was said to have done a quality job on Lebron in the playoffs, when he was on the winning side. On offense, Maggette gets his points against anyone, he gets to the line at will, so we're not worries about that.

PF- Amare v Garnett
interesting matchup here, very interesting. Amare has lead us to this point, and we hope he can continue that. He has the size advantage on KG, who is a fantastic post defender, but as I said earlier, great offense always beats great defense, and Amare has the best post offense in the whole league. Can KG last until the conference finals as well? Their front court is pretty old, and have to do with the energy that Amare brings. On defense we can put Nene on KG if he's causing us problems, but he doesnt really light you teams up any more. We our confident we can outscore at this match up.

C- Nene v Sheed
Nene's power and inside presense will keep the aging Sheed very busy throughout this series, and I'll back my man again on this one. If we get him into foul trouble the depth at the 5 is pretty non existant too. I'll back Nene to have a big series, if he can get his groove on insie, this may force a double team, and men to be drawn away from Amare or Maggette openining up more points. On defense Sheed doesnt have the youth in his body anymore to out muscle Nene inside and will be resigned to be a jump shooter. Nene has this match up.

Benches: Our bench again is more well rounded. Dooling-Ridnour will be an interesting match up at the point. On the wings we have the shooting of CJ Miles and Pietrus and Boki Nachbar, they have..errr...wait I'll look it up, god knows who he has on the wings. Ahhh Keith Bogans and Shawne Williams....who I hear you cry....exactly. Their depth at power forward is the most impressive. They have KMart and his ancient surgically repaied knees, the mighty Jeff Foster and whats his name who got traded back to the Wolves this summer. We feel we have the bench advantage sewn up.

Overall we are the better TEAM than the Celtics, we have a better team around our small forward than them, and we feel with Maggette/Pietrus/Brewer guarding Lebron throughout the game we have as good a chance as any to slow him down. The players around Lebron arent exactly going to light you up, so isolate Lebron, outplay the rest of their team and force Lebron to put the team on his shoulders, like he had to do against the Magic in a losing cause.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 12:46 PM
wooo go Wizards!

Raps08-09 Champ
08-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Celtics are still a tank with their front line.

Kakaroach
08-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Daaaa Wizzzzz

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 12:48 PM
our front line can outrun them, more athletic, stronger and youthful

Mane
08-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Wizards. They win most of the match ups, except Lebron vs. Magette, but Magette will still score his *** off. The Wizards bench is much better IMO.

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I like how 7 of the 8 guys who voted for the Wiz are in the Sim League with jimbob. I also like how some of them have only voted on Mock match-ups involving the bobs, Derek, or someone affiliated with the Sim League.

Gibby
08-29-2009, 01:25 PM
The celtics for me. Lebron best offensive player and KG one of the best defensive players.

Jumba
08-29-2009, 01:31 PM
The Wiz. Bench is much better, clearly in the backcourt. To much for the Celts.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I like how 7 of the 8 guys who voted for the Wiz are in the Sim League with jimbob. I also like how some of them have only voted on Mock match-ups involving the bobs, Derek, or someone affiliated with the Sim League.

its not my fault if I have friends on here :shrug:

...or the better team ;)

4 of your 9 were in the mock..so what, I know rocketsrule is your friend, I know he's gunna vote you regardless, I got over it

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM

...or the better team ;)

Understand that I'm not accusing you of anything. But it's fishy as hell. You even said in a Chatzy during the Mock that you could or would get your friends to vote for you. Impossible to know if you were kidding or not.

The vast majority of the people voting for you are with you in the Sim League and many of those have only voted on match-ups that had to do with you or Derek.

But again, I'm not accusing you of anything at this point.

phlp_bj
08-29-2009, 01:56 PM
very good matchup. ill decide later after thinking this through

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 01:57 PM

...or the better team ;)

4 of your 9 were in the mock..so what, I know rocketsrule is your friend, I know he's gunna vote you regardless, I got over it

Those people have voted on most of, or all of the match-ups. MHC, arknanian, and BN1F are no more my friend than they are yours.

If they're voting for you because they think you're the better team, no problem. But when you already said you could or would get people to vote for you once before and a lot of those voters have only voted on match-ups with you or Derek in them, I'm going to naturally get a little suspicious.

UofA
08-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Celts for me

sacgiants1213
08-29-2009, 02:01 PM
I like the celts in this matchup. Their front court is just nasty. Lebron is a game changer.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
i think kg n lbj could take it by themselves lol

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Those people have voted on most of, or all of the match-ups. MHC, arknanian, and BN1F are no more my friend than they are yours.

If they're voting for you because they think you're the better team, no problem. But when you already said you could or would get people to vote for you once before and a lot of those voters have only voted on match-ups with you or Derek in them, I'm going to naturally get a little suspicious.

well I've been watching the arsenal-man utd game and had my tea, I havnt had the chance to launch this nationwide campaign you speak of, you can check my posts, vms, look around the sim league for any sign of persuading people to vote...you wont find anything cus I havnt been on

if my friend was in the mock, and i saw them on one of my frequent visits to the nba forum I'd prolly vote them too, but in this match up either team can win it, so its only fishy if you really think your team is that much better than mine, which is probably true

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Understand that I'm not accusing you of anything. But it's fishy as hell. You even said in a Chatzy during the Mock that you could or would get your friends to vote for you. Impossible to know if you were kidding or not.

that was before I knew it was wrong, and before bb41 straightened me out on the subject and said I'd be thrown out if I said anything, my lips have been sealed since.

BlondeBomber41
08-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I knew that was gonna happen. I tried to stop it but there isnt much I can do. Its the reason why he is beating everyone so easily.

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 02:12 PM
well I've been watching the arsenal-man utd game and had my tea, I havnt had the chance to launch this nationwide campaign you speak of, you can check my posts, vms, look around the sim league for any sign of persuading people to vote...you wont find anything cus I havnt been on

if my friend was in the mock, and i saw them on one of my frequent visits to the nba forum I'd prolly vote them too, but in this match up either team can win it, so its only fishy if you really think your team is that much better than mine, which is probably true

It's fishy because some of the people voting for you haven't voted in any of the other match-ups unless it involved the Wiz or the Bobcats.

I haven't, nor will I accuse you of "campaigning" unless I have actual evidence because I know you're a good guy.

I made a simple, valid observation. That's all.

Sportfan
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Wizards. They win most of the match ups, except Lebron vs. Magette, but Magette will still score his *** off. The Wizards bench is much better IMO.

Amare ovr KG?

BlondeBomber41
08-29-2009, 02:16 PM
It's fishy because some of the people voting for you haven't voted in any of the other match-ups unless it involved the Wiz or the Bobcats.

I haven't, nor will I accuse you of "campaigning" unless I have actual evidence because I know you're a good guy.

He campaigned in the first round with a post in the sim league directing everyone to go vote for the Wizards, and I tried my best to shut it down but its obvious that either they all still are voting for him because of it, or he is PMing or IMing or something to them. I mean they all get here and vote so fast... even if they just happened to find their way over to the thread it wouldnt explain how like in the span of ten minutes 7 of them all voted for him.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I knew that was gonna happen. I tried to stop it but there isnt much I can do. Its the reason why he is beating everyone so easily.

now thats unfair, I've only had 6 people vote against me is the reason I've got here, maybe, just maybe I've had the better team than the Heat and Magic, I suppose it must be that I told all 65 people to vote for me though, makes more sense.

fair enough, I havnt looked into it but it seems my sim league amigo's have my back

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
He campaigned in the first round with a post in the sim league directing everyone to go vote for the Wizards, and I tried my best to shut it down but its obvious that either they all still are voting for him because of it, or he is PMing or IMing or something to them. I mean they all get here and vote so fast... even if they just happened to find their way over to the thread it wouldnt explain how like in the span of ten minutes 7 of them all voted for him.

that post got deleted, and I havnt mentioned anything about it since in the league's forum presuming I was being watched like a hawk. You can check my posts, vms, pms if any mod can do that, havnt mentioned it once. I have friends on this site, I dont get why I'm being villainised for it, you want me to go into the sim league forum and tell people not to vote for me, theres nothing I can do, I should have won the last 2 series my team was better. This time its close but I kinda expected to lose and we are doing. I dont get the huge enquiry.

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Yeah I just saw that Robbob did. Didn't see anything from jimbob.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 02:37 PM
robbobs away, he cant influence this round

and if I rely that much on my friends to vote, why have 5 of us applied to be on the same re-draft team, thats a possible 4 votes for me right there...its cus we're friends

BlondeBomber41
08-29-2009, 02:39 PM
now thats unfair, I've only had 6 people vote against me is the reason I've got here, maybe, just maybe I've had the better team than the Heat and Magic, I suppose it must be that I told all 65 people to

I agree your team was alot better than Miami, but not Orlando. To beat them as bad as you did obviously shows that the voting had to be altered.

Apparently rob was campaigning also :facepalm:

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 02:42 PM
I dont think so, I think he was just saying things like go wiz and stuff, you told me off for it so I presumed you must have told him as well otherwise he wasnt to know.

and how can I alter voting to give a 'better' team than mine only 2 votes....your living in a fairy land my friend

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 03:01 PM
If we get him into foul trouble the depth at the 5 is pretty non existant too. I'll back Nene to have a big series,

Jeff Foster?

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 03:03 PM
haha I notice your drawing the argument away from your wing depth, if it can even be described as wing depth

and your a man who classed Tony Parker and Brewer even with Harris and Jones....now that is actually quite insulting

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 03:13 PM
haha I notice your drawing the argument away from your wing depth, if it can even be described as wing depth

and your a man who classed Tony Parker and Brewer even with Harris and Jones....now that is actually quite insulting

My actual perimeter rotation would be:

SF-James/Jones/Williams
SG-Jones/Bogans/Harris
PG-Harris/Ridnour/James

I said Parker is better than Harris and he is but in a 1 on 1 match-up it's going to be about even. Same thing with Brewer and Jones. Neither can really create for themselves and in real-life as well on these mock teams, they rely on the stars around them and the tempo to put up points.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Brewer will score more than Dahntay, the Jazz actually run plays for Brewer on offense while Dahntay gets no love. And with Lebron handling the ball alot that limits Harris' effectiveness, and while you have 2 good post defenders you have no real shot blockers to meet tony at the rim, whilst I have Nene and Amare (he can sure block a shot even if he cant defend) meeting Harris at the rim. Your backcourt will be pretty much ineffective, whilst mine is always gunna be involved

Joshtd1
08-29-2009, 03:21 PM
I think this is close. I will decide soon.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
you and catfish sure do have womens brains when making a decision :facepalm:

...unless your waiting to see how the other votes :eyebrow:

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Brewer will score more than Dahntay, the Jazz actually run plays for Brewer on offense while Dahntay gets no love. And with Lebron handling the ball alot that limits Harris' effectiveness, and while you have 2 good post defenders you have no real shot blockers to meet tony at the rim, whilst I have Nene and Amare (he can sure block a shot even if he cant defend) meeting Harris at the rim. Your backcourt will be pretty much ineffective, whilst mine is always gunna be involved

Even if Brewer does score more than Jones, that's not a pivotal match-up. They aren't going to make or break the series.

LeBron and Harris can play off the ball just fine. LeBron, for all his egotistical nonsense, is an extremely unselfish player on the court and the same goes for Harris. Harris had no problem playing a backseat role to guys like Dirk, Howard, and Terry in the Mavs' Finals run in 2006. And he was the 4th option on that team, still managing to average 13-15 points per game. He'll be the 2nd option offensively, playing off playmakers like LeBron and Garnett here.

Had it not been for an injury last season, Harris would have had 24 and 7 as his season numbers and not 21 and 7. He and LeBron are two in the best in the league at getting to the rim and with unselfish guys like themselves, KG, and Wallace on the floor, there's no reason they can't work well together.

And that shot-blocking bit must be a joke. My frontcourt defense is insanely superior to yours. Kevin Garnett is one of the best defenders in the league, period. Rasheed Wallace, Kenyon Martin, and Jeff Foster are 3 of the best post defenders. Nene is very good but Amare is terrible on the ball regardless of whether or not he can block shots. Evans is a gritty inside player but he's really more of a rebounding specialist. If Amare comes over to help when LeBron or Harris are going to the rim, players with their vision can kick it to Sheed outside or dump it over to Garnett inside.

If I were Tony Parker or Devin Harris, I would much rather drive in on Amare or Nene than Sheed, Garnett, or Martin who are far more likely to stop you and possibly clobber the hell out of you in the process.

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 03:31 PM
you and catfish sure do have womens brains when making a decision :facepalm:

...unless your waiting to see how the other votes :eyebrow:

It wasn't that. Josh and BB worked hard on their teams and it was incredibly close match-up so I wanted to make sure I made the right decision.

And I probably won't even vote on the Suns-Spurs series because it could influence who I play in the next round, should I advance. I know who I would vote for if I did though ;)

Joshtd1
08-29-2009, 03:36 PM
It wasn't that. Josh and BB worked hard on their teams and it was incredibly close match-up so I wanted to make sure I made the right decision.

And I probably won't even vote on the Suns-Spurs series because it could influence who I play in the next round, should I advance. I know who I would vote for if I did though ;)

You should just vote for the better team. You know you ahve a top team..Im sure you're not scared of facing either of our teams...

Catfish1314
08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
You should just vote for the better team. You know you ahve a top team..Im sure you're not scared of facing either of our teams...

Well of course I would vote for the better team. I have the same reasoning as BB41 on this and that's I don't want people accusing me of trying to influence who I play.

Joshtd1
08-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Made my decision. Its close..I like all the fire power the Wiz have, but I think the deciding factor is LBJ. I just dont see the Wiz really having anyone to stop him. KG is still better then Amare, and would benefit big time playing with LBJ. That and the Celtics defense would have a much better shot at stopping the Wiz then the Wiz could stop Celtics IMO.

Joshtd1
08-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Well of course I would vote for the better team. I have the same reasoning as BB41 on this and that's I don't want people accusing me of trying to influence who I play.

Eh, I understand that..but if you're voting for the team you think is better, then I don't see why people would accuse you, seeing as you're not voting for who you think the weaker team is to try and play them.

Tblaze
08-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Henk Norel is the deciding factor for me, you can't beat the dutch.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 04:29 PM
see this guy gets it

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 09:53 PM
lets be having some more Wizards votes then, Lebron haters/Garnett haters come on down!

TheFuture6
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Lebron is the best player in the league, but we have the best chance of any at slowing him down, making him fight for every point, isolating him, getting the ball out his hands etc etc. Maggette has had some success guarding him before. The tools are there for Maggette to be a good defender, but now the motivation is there getting as far as he has ever gone in the playoffs. If Maggette isnt working we can switch him to the 2 guard and have Ronnie Brewer have fun guarding Lebron. We then have Pietrus off the bench who was said to have done a quality job on Lebron in the playoffs, when he was on the winning side. On offense, Maggette gets his points against anyone, he gets to the line at will, so we're not worries about that.

Really?

LeBron would kill Maggette and Brewer offensively. It would be comical to watch him abuse those two.

astrosmaniac
08-29-2009, 10:08 PM

i've been involved in mock's before. if someone asks me to vote in a thread, i go in, look at the teams, and vote based on who i think is better

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Really?

LeBron would kill Maggette and Brewer offensively. It would be comical to watch him abuse those two.

3 players with size and speed who could isolate Lebron, I mean he tore up Orlando with Pietrus on him, but he was forced to carry the team and they lost. Isolate him and shut down the others, we have a chance

RocketsRule
08-29-2009, 10:20 PM

...or the better team ;)

It is also possible I believe his team is better... And it's different, since I participated in the mock and actually vote on all the match-ups and not just the ones that CF is in. Which is his point.

JermanJaysFan
08-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Celts for me. Lebron is a one man wrecking crew. Give him KG's presence on both ends, as well as the scoring talents of Harris and Sheed, and it's game over.

TheFuture6
08-29-2009, 10:23 PM
3 players with size and speed who could isolate Lebron, I mean he tore up Orlando with Pietrus on him, but he was forced to carry the team and they lost. Isolate him and shut down the others, we have a chance

LeBrons others are Devin Harris and KG. Not Mo Williams and Big Z. He finally has some guys who can actually help out running the offense. To go with a team who looks like they would be better defensively than the current Cavs.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 10:27 PM
It is also possible I believe his team is better... And it's different, since I participated in the mock and actually vote on all the match-ups and not just the ones that CF is in. Which is his point.

fair enough, I accept that and expected it, its fine man :)

Super.
08-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Maggette isnt even on LeBrons level. How many times has Maggette won an MVP or taken a team to the finals by himself? And with KG, Sheed and Harris as a supporting cast? Good Lord....

Saint Brian
08-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Celtics.

JordansBulls
08-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Boston in 4.

jimbobjarree
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
congrats to the Celtics, fully deserved. Thanks to everyone who has voted for us throughout, I'm happy with how far we came. :)

Catfish1314
08-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Congrats to you as well jimbob. One of the best GM jobs I've seen. :clap: