PDA

View Full Version : Former 76ers GM throws Iverson under the bus!

bigvdebo86
08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
CHARLOTTE -- They're both guys with Carolina ties, and each supervised Allen Iverson over parts of his first 12 NBA seasons.

Former Philadelphia 76ers general manager Billy King warns that Iverson can be stubborn and self-absorbed, and doubts he'd change that as a Charlotte Bobcat.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl is more complimentary. He acknowledges Iverson puts up some ill-advised shots and lacks ideal size for a shooting guard. But Karl says Iverson's respect for Bobcats coach Larry Brown could make this notion work out.

Iverson could help Bobcats.
CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS
More HomeDix will stay open; city park plan in limbo
Corrosive goop still a mystery at RDU
NCSU's fashion faux pas?
Public gets 2nd chance to pay respects to Kennedy
Phony patients facing charges
Pack teams up quarterbacks, receivers

Unrestricted free agent Iverson is on the Bobcats' radar. Iverson apparently wants to play for Brown again, and discussions have occurred between the team and Iverson's representatives.

It's not automatic Iverson, nicknamed the Answer, will end up a Bobcat. There are roster and payroll issues in the way. Also, the Memphis Grizzlies have made him a contract proposal in the past few days.

But the Bobcats could use a scorer. The Bobcats were last in the NBA in points per game last season, and Iverson's career average tops 27 points per game. They could also use his star power, as a team struggling to sell tickets.

King, a former national defensive player of the year at Duke, spent 10 seasons in the Sixers' front office, eventually trading Iverson to the Nuggets.

"Everything is about Allen, and it can't all be about Allen at this point in his career," King said. "He's no longer that intimidating figure who can just blow by everybody. So he's got to do other things, and I'm not sure he will."

King believes Iverson is so conditioned to a certain mind-set that it's too late, at 34, for him to re-invent himself.

"[Iverson's] personality is to say, 'I can still do this. I can take all the shots and stay out late and do everything I did in my 20s,' " King said. "He needs to get to the foul line [to be effective], and if that doesn't work, he'll be very quick to yell at the referees for not giving him calls."

Iverson was traded early last season from the Nuggets to the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons asked him to play as a reserve late last season before shutting him down with a back injury. Iverson reportedly said he'd rather retire than accept a limited role and called last season his "most miserable."

His scoring average last season -- 17.5 points per game -- was nearly 10 points below his career scoring average. His trips to the foul line dropped from about nine per game for his career to roughly six last season.

King says Iverson no longer can drive by almost everyone in the NBA. That makes him more dependent on jump shots, and King describes Iverson's jumper as "average at best."

The difference between Iverson and Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan, King said, is that Jordan was cerebral enough late in his playing career to make it work beyond his prime -- Jordan became more of a passer, rebounder and screen-setter.

"Allen never made the people around him better in the first place, because it's always about Allen," King said.

Karl, a former North Carolina point guard, understands the challenges of coaching Iverson. But he enjoyed it.

"I had very few problems from A.I., in terms of him doing everything I asked him to do," said Karl, who coached Iverson for most of two years.

"I heard all the stories, but he said he was coming to make the basketball team better. We didn't hit a home run, but we got better."

Still, Karl agrees with King that Iverson has to remake himself to continue playing effectively.

"He's a volume scorer, and I think he'll have to make himself into an efficient scorer," Karl said of Iverson, a 42.5 percent career shooter from the field.

Wow right if it wasnt for Iverson we wouldnt know who billy king was he made that man ALOT of money.

NANDOKNICK
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I recommend therapy, Allen Iverson was a basketball prodigy
If I were Allen Iverson and had that talent I would
be self absorbed too
Allen Iverson also worked hard to develop his skill.
Billy King should take a walk off a tall building

CHARLOTTE -- They're both guys with Carolina ties, and each supervised Allen Iverson over parts of his first 12 NBA seasons.

Former Philadelphia 76ers general manager Billy King warns that Iverson can be stubborn and self-absorbed, and doubts he'd change that as a Charlotte Bobcat.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl is more complimentary. He acknowledges Iverson puts up some ill-advised shots and lacks ideal size for a shooting guard. But Karl says Iverson's respect for Bobcats coach Larry Brown could make this notion work out.

Iverson could help Bobcats.
CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS
More HomeDix will stay open; city park plan in limbo
Corrosive goop still a mystery at RDU
NCSU's fashion faux pas?
Public gets 2nd chance to pay respects to Kennedy
Phony patients facing charges
Pack teams up quarterbacks, receivers

Unrestricted free agent Iverson is on the Bobcats' radar. Iverson apparently wants to play for Brown again, and discussions have occurred between the team and Iverson's representatives.

It's not automatic Iverson, nicknamed the Answer, will end up a Bobcat. There are roster and payroll issues in the way. Also, the Memphis Grizzlies have made him a contract proposal in the past few days.

But the Bobcats could use a scorer. The Bobcats were last in the NBA in points per game last season, and Iverson's career average tops 27 points per game. They could also use his star power, as a team struggling to sell tickets.

King, a former national defensive player of the year at Duke, spent 10 seasons in the Sixers' front office, eventually trading Iverson to the Nuggets.

"Everything is about Allen, and it can't all be about Allen at this point in his career," King said. "He's no longer that intimidating figure who can just blow by everybody. So he's got to do other things, and I'm not sure he will."

King believes Iverson is so conditioned to a certain mind-set that it's too late, at 34, for him to re-invent himself.

"[Iverson's] personality is to say, 'I can still do this. I can take all the shots and stay out late and do everything I did in my 20s,' " King said. "He needs to get to the foul line [to be effective], and if that doesn't work, he'll be very quick to yell at the referees for not giving him calls."

Iverson was traded early last season from the Nuggets to the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons asked him to play as a reserve late last season before shutting him down with a back injury. Iverson reportedly said he'd rather retire than accept a limited role and called last season his "most miserable."

His scoring average last season -- 17.5 points per game -- was nearly 10 points below his career scoring average. His trips to the foul line dropped from about nine per game for his career to roughly six last season.

King says Iverson no longer can drive by almost everyone in the NBA. That makes him more dependent on jump shots, and King describes Iverson's jumper as "average at best."

The difference between Iverson and Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan, King said, is that Jordan was cerebral enough late in his playing career to make it work beyond his prime -- Jordan became more of a passer, rebounder and screen-setter.

"Allen never made the people around him better in the first place, because it's always about Allen," King said.

Karl, a former North Carolina point guard, understands the challenges of coaching Iverson. But he enjoyed it.

"I had very few problems from A.I., in terms of him doing everything I asked him to do," said Karl, who coached Iverson for most of two years.

"I heard all the stories, but he said he was coming to make the basketball team better. We didn't hit a home run, but we got better."

Still, Karl agrees with King that Iverson has to remake himself to continue playing effectively.

"He's a volume scorer, and I think he'll have to make himself into an efficient scorer," Karl said of Iverson, a 42.5 percent career shooter from the field.

Wow right if it wasnt for Iverson we wouldnt know who billy king was he made that man ALOT of money.

BkOriginalOne
08-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Billy King has no right to speak - being one of the worst GMs that I've seen.
How do you trade for Webber?
How do you sign Dalembert to a contract like that?
How do you ship Korver (you're only shooter) for nothing.
How do you trade Iverson for Miller (then Miller walks for nothing, it's kind of his fault)

Trouble87
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree with a lot of what Billy King said but I think he shouldve kept his opinions on AI to himself

being in the position he's in now Billy should try to stay as objective as he can

bad move King

Raph12
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Billy King is upset he was fired because he basically gave the franchise player away and the team didn't get better. He blames AI for his firing and since he can't get a job, he doesn't want AI to either lol, which is why he spews all the negativity about him.

3RDASYSTEM
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
BILLY KING is a funny dude, he amassed like the weakest supportin cast i have ever seen a tru SUPERSTAR have(slightly edgin LEBRON 07 FINALS team) and wasted one of the top 5 talents/athletes(AI was dominant in FOOTBALL/BASEBALL/BASKETBALL comin out of HS #1 ranked FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL in his JUNIOR yr) ever to hit the NBA, so the drafts and trades he made wasted AI's talent/career and it had him dribblin around with SNOW/MCKIE/LYNCH/HILL(not GRANT)/RATLIFF/MUTOMBO(he was like 35 when they traded for him) and he also played with the likes of a washed up KUKOC/WEBBER/COLEMAN/BIG DOG and whoever else KING traded/drafted....if anything he should throw himself along wit AI under bus, he was avg at best as a GM,tru talk...they rode AI till the wheels fell off...wit that type of avg offensive talent around u how can u not become a volume shooter by default and he never mentioned how many times AI would get JORDAN ruled(triple teamed) especially come playoff time cuz of lack of talent surrounded by AI...then he plays the 'weak' card by saying he didnt make his teammates better but i bet if ya go look at MCKIE/SNOW and those role players stats...better yet go look at the xtensions KING gave them during his era...i bet it was AI who had alot to do with those contracts...

bigvdebo86
08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
BILLY KING is a funny dude, he amassed like the weakest supportin cast i have ever seen a tru SUPERSTAR have(slightly edgin LEBRON 07 FINALS team) and wasted one of the top 5 talents/athletes(AI was dominant in FOOTBALL/BASEBALL/BASKETBALL comin out of HS #1 ranked FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL in his JUNIOR yr) ever to hit the NBA, so the drafts and trades he made wasted AI's talent/career and it had him dribblin around with SNOW/MCKIE/LYNCH/HILL(not GRANT)/RATLIFF/MUTOMBO(he was like 35 when they traded for him) and he also played with the likes of a washed up KUKOC/WEBBER/COLEMAN/BIG DOG and whoever else KING traded/drafted....if anything he should throw himself along wit AI under bus, he was avg at best as a GM,tru talk...they rode AI till the wheels fell off...wit that type of avg offensive talent around u how can u not become a volume shooter by default and he never mentioned how many times AI would get JORDAN ruled(triple teamed) especially come playoff time cuz of lack of talent surrounded by AI...then he plays the 'weak' card by saying he didnt make his teammates better but i bet if ya go look at MCKIE/SNOW and those role players stats...better yet go look at the xtensions KING gave them during his era...i bet it was AI who had alot to do with those contracts...
Right and wha have eric snow ,aaron mckie,george lynch and any other of them have done since they left ai

PhyscoT007
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Billy King has no right to speak - being one of the worst GMs that I've seen.
How do you trade for Webber?
How do you sign Dalembert to a contract like that?
How do you ship Korver (you're only shooter) for nothing.
How do you trade Iverson for Miller (then Miller walks for nothing, it's kind of his fault)

Billy King was so bad they fired him two years ago, it was stefanski that traded korver, and stefanski that let miller walk. That's not king's fauly even though i still hate him

ya_boi
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
wow, sounds like a personal vendetta to me.

IversonIsKrazy
08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Billy King would've nvr made any money nor bin a GM for more than 1 year if AI wasn't there.

Chronz
08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Is this really throwing him under the bus? What did he say that we didnt already know?

smith&wesson
08-28-2009, 05:10 PM
If iverson is soooooo bad, why is he considered to end up in the hall of fame ??

the trueth is we love to kill our hero's we build them up and big them up untill they get old and then we bash them. im sorry but iverson has given us years and years of competative, and entertaining ball. Not many have or will ever have his skill set. he was an amazing talent and is still able to play. Give him the right team to play with and he will show that he still has gas left in the tank. he may not be mvp caliber like he once was but he can still play with the best of them. and guess what he is still quick enough to blow past alot of gaurds in this league. give him his respect the man is HOF'er

roshan3ai
08-28-2009, 10:52 PM
King is a fool, Allen Iverson carried that team through the playoffs with no help.

dre1990
08-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I agree with a lot of what Billy King said but I think he shouldve kept his opinions on AI to himself

being in the position he's in now Billy should try to stay as objective as he can

bad move King

x2

blah-blah
08-28-2009, 11:41 PM
iverson built that franchise and when he was on that team they were one of the best and now look at them