PDA

View Full Version : What is Wilson Chandlers ceiling??

4real
08-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I think this guy is a future all-star. IMO his ceiling is Danny Granger. Wat do u guys think

Mave1002
08-27-2009, 11:06 PM
with the right crew... maybe.

jj24
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
He has the potential no doubt

blazerman
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
I havent paid a lot of attention to him because I rarely get to see the Knicks play on TV and only once a yr in person in Portland so Im not sold on him as a perennial allstar maybe once or twice during his career.

Knicks fans seem to be really high on him and think he might be a superstar but I would say a Jerome kersey type player, he was a good all around player with lots of hustle.

carter15
08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
i dont think he can be quite the scorer Granger is...i say more towards a...iggy type scorer...20 PPG - 22 PPG max.

LaL09champs
08-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I like how he fills up all the stats. He's a good defender, rebounder, shot blocker, can shoot the 3, and can play 3 diffrent position(SG, SF & PF). plus i read an article that said he wants improve even more this season

D-Leethal
08-28-2009, 01:01 AM
hes a great complimentary guy that can guard multiple positions. Im a Knick fan but don't see him averaging more than 18ppg during his career. But he does the little things that every team needs to be successful, and hes got a great attitude

NYKnickFanatic
08-28-2009, 01:17 AM
I havent paid a lot of attention to him because I rarely get to see the Knicks play on TV and only once a yr in person in Portland so Im not sold on him as a perennial allstar maybe once or twice during his career.

Knicks fans seem to be really high on him and think he might be a superstar but I would say a Jerome kersey type player, he was a good all around player with lots of hustle.

I wouldnt go that far. I definitely see him as a future All-Star one day though.

Ethix11
08-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I would say a Josh Howard. I wish we would have traded for him when he was on the block early last season.

FlawlessKB24
08-28-2009, 01:42 AM
I would say a Josh Howard. I wish we would have traded for him when he was on the block early last season.

Howard is a good one
I agree

black1605
08-28-2009, 01:42 AM
bonus topic: has tyson chandler reached his ceiling?

FlawlessKB24
08-28-2009, 01:48 AM
yeah
no CP = end of Tyson

THE MTL
08-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Tyson Chandler is about to become a very mediocre center. I can see him being on Diop level now that he doesnt have CP3. He better watch out in Charlotte, Diop might beat him for starting center lol. (ok not really)

THE MTL
08-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Wilson Chandler ceiling is Danny Granger def. But those comparisons of Richard Jefferson, Josh Howard, & Andre Iguadola are pretty good comparisons too.

29$JerZ
08-28-2009, 01:57 AM
His ceiling if he keeps on improving is Danny Granger. The only knock on him is he isn't vocal or have that leadership drive. That's why many peg him as a potential all-star and not a superstar.

Draco
08-28-2009, 01:59 AM
What's Gallinari's ceiling?

ggb108
08-28-2009, 02:00 AM
chandler is sick

Nexus
08-28-2009, 02:17 AM
White, with oak trim.

Chronz
08-28-2009, 02:41 AM
I like how he fills up all the stats. He's a good defender, rebounder, shot blocker, can shoot the 3, and can play 3 diffrent position(SG, SF & PF). plus i read an article that said he wants improve even more this season

What does filling up the stats mean? Is it suppose to be impressive because at his rate of production hes below average.

NYKnickFanatic
08-28-2009, 02:55 AM

There is no limit for Gallo The Rooster.

:cool:

dre1990
08-28-2009, 02:57 AM
He has pottential to be an allstar, I think he will be MIP 2010

FlawlessKB24
08-28-2009, 02:58 AM

a better Hedo IMO

blackjack_119
08-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Wilson Chandler's potential? He has the potential to be the most overrated player in the NBA. The guy is an average small forward. He is just surrounded by an even worse "supporting cast" so Knicks fans over inflate his potential.

Small Forwards who are better or have a higher potential than Chandler:
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Andre Igoudala
Caron Butler
Gerald Wallace
Ron Artest
Shane Battier
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Howard
Rashard Lewis (Natural SF)
Josh Smith (Natural SF)
Rudy Gay
Hedo Turkoglu

Arguably same upside (or better)
Michael Beasley
Trevor Ariza
Thaddeus Young
Anthony Randolph
Jeff Green

I'm probably missing some. These are just the players that came to mind.

If we are going to start threads about the upside of mediocre players, lets start the "What is Nenad Krstic's upside?" thread.:pity:

SeoulBeatz
08-28-2009, 03:29 AM
i see a lot of gerald wallace in him.

not quite Iguodala because he doesnt have Iggys passing ability.

And trust me ive seen a lot of knicks games (i live in NYC) and Chandler is going to be good. He will never be a superstar, but he will be a very integral part in the knicks future.

he plays hard but his offense is still to inconsistent. he is very athletic and plays good d but he has a lot of trouble creating his own shot and when he's off, he's OFF. ive seen him drop 31 one day and dissapear the next. im sure he'll clear that up with time but i just dont think he has the mindset or skillset to be an allstar. dont get me wrong though, he will be a VERY GOOD player.

Run&Gun
08-28-2009, 04:21 AM
Yeah I wouldn't agree with Danny Granger exactly since he can't really create his own shots, he can be inconsistent at time going from crazy hot to really cold for a few stretches and still needs to work on his jumper and mid range game. I say he's probably gonna be in the mold of Shawn Marion a little better offensively a little worse defensively and rebound.

Trouble87
08-28-2009, 05:12 AM
His potential is almost limitless, the only thing that holds him back is himself. Chandler has a tendency to let the game come to him, lacks the aggressive attitude needed to be a 20+ per game scorer.

I'm hoping that changes next season

best case- shawn marion
worst case- tim thomas (with a lil more defense)

blastmasta26
08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Wilson Chandler's potential? He has the potential to be the most overrated player in the NBA. The guy is an average small forward. He is just surrounded by an even worse "supporting cast" so Knicks fans over inflate his potential.

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Andre Igoudala
Caron Butler
Gerald Wallace
Ron Artest
Shane Battier
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Howard
Josh Smith (Natural SF)
Rudy Gay
Hedo Turkoglu

Michael Beasley
Trevor Ariza
Thaddeus Young
Anthony Randolph
Jeff Green

If we are going to start threads about the upside of mediocre players, lets start the "What is Nenad Krstic's upside?" thread.:pity:
He might not seem that great to you, but keep in mind this was his first season where he got heavy minutes consistently and played every game. His game improved, and he should improve more over the next 2-3 seasons. He has good potential and a lot of players you listed don't even have potential anymore, considering they are experienced players.

arkanian215
08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
he can be a future all star. there are a lot of knicks fans out there willing to vote him in even if he isnt qualified. in my book being an all star doesnt mean as much as it should. there's a bunch of guys who get snubbed cuz they arent as popular or play for smaller markets or dont play a style that appeals to fans. it's just a popularity contest. when a guy like yi almost gets voted into the starting spot, you know the all star game is a joke (coming from a nets fan too).

arkanian215
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
the physical tools are all there. he has to develop the killer mentality to be the go to scorer. he can really use that body and mismatch potential to out do his opponents. he has improved a lot but his ceiling probably aint that far from where he is now.

roshan3ai
08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe Iggy, because they're both great slashers, but Wilson would definitely be a better rebounder.

roshan3ai
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Dirk:clap:

arkanian215
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
i disagree with all those iggy comments. chandler isnt as good of a facilitator as iggy is and i dont think he will be. stats may be inflated due to the d'antoni system so if you just compare numbers with a player on an average paced team, he might look better or just as good when he really isnt.

Unruly Fan
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Anyone can say they "want" to improve.

I remember thinking of Chandler as a nuisance (to opposing teams) in his rookie year especially with his ability to play multiple positions. I can definately see good potential in this guy tho.

drobe86
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
His ceiling is the floor lol.... this guys a decent 6th man at best. Stop with the Iguodala, Josh Howard, and Danny granger comparisons please.... Just Stop.

Unruly Fan
08-28-2009, 11:10 AM
What's Gallinari's ceiling?Bargs.

4real
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
His ceiling is the floor lol.... this guys a decent 6th man at best. Stop with the Iguodala, Josh Howard, and Danny granger comparisons please.... Just Stop.

6th man?? u obviously havent seen him play

knicks09
08-28-2009, 11:20 AM

A better version of Hedo Turkoglu

goose15
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Wilson Chandler = a mix of Shawn Marion & Gerald Wallace

colinskik
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
I like the comparison to Iggy, although as someone said, he's not as good a facilitator but may become a better rebounder.

He's a hard-nosed, versatile player. Even though he has shown he can shoot the 3 I think he should concentrate more on slashing and his mid range game. With a good PG he might become an all star. He still has a lot of room for improvement.

Ace33Bone
08-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I think this guy is a future all-star. IMO his ceiling is Danny Granger. Wat do u guys think

IMO it depends on what room he is standing in :clap: ... I feel that he has already reached his peak

madiaz3
08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
IMO it depends on what room he is standing in :clap: ... I feel that he has already reached his peak

after one season of starter minutes?

Ace33Bone
08-28-2009, 03:05 PM
after one season of starter minutes?

Yeah I think that there is too much hype surrounding him... I feel that he is a good player already... but i do not see him being a future all- star

knicks09
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
IMO it depends on what room he is standing in :clap: .. I feel that he has already reached his peak

woah, no way has he reached his peak after only 1 full season. He always improves on something. As a rookie he was a 63% free throw shooter and he couldent hit a jump shot. Then this past season he was an 80% free throw shooter and a decent 3 point shooter. Actually the last 10 games of the season his 3 point jump shot was auto matic and was scoring like 18 points per game

Hitman21
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Listen..Im a knicks fan..I always have been, and as a knicks fan the pacers and any player to ever be on that squad disgust me (thanx to that ***** *** reggie miller). I think chandler is great...but cmon..danny granger is unreal...Hes got one of the most complete games ive seen. Granger is the best player on his sqaud, and hes only getting better. Chandler will never be the best player on any squad...hes more like a compliment to a superstar..if the knicks ever get one.

29$JerZ
08-28-2009, 03:19 PM

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Andre Igoudala
Caron Butler
Gerald Wallace
Ron Artest
Shane Battier
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Howard
Josh Smith (Natural SF)
Rudy Gay
Hedo Turkoglu

Michael Beasley
Trevor Ariza
Thaddeus Young
Anthony Randolph
Jeff Green

:facepalm:

All those guys other than Beasly and Randolph are veterans in the league already. This was Wilson's 1st year with minutes and your comparing him to veterans? Of course they are better than him, he is only 21 years old.

knicks09
08-28-2009, 04:18 PM

LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Danny Granger
Paul Pierce
Andre Igoudala
Caron Butler
Gerald Wallace
Ron Artest
Shane Battier
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Howard
Josh Smith (Natural SF)
Rudy Gay
Hedo Turkoglu

Michael Beasley
Trevor Ariza
Thaddeus Young
Anthony Randolph
Jeff Green

??????? Almost all of those guys have been in the NBA for like more than 3 years how are u gonna compare them to wilson when he's only been playing for 1 season?? :facepalm: R U SERIOUSLY COMPARING CHANDLER TO NENAD KRISTIC???? Really!?

montazingmvp
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
his ceiling is about half of what anthony randolph will turn out to be...

Mavrix
08-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Wilson Chandler = Ryan Gomes

NY4YA
08-28-2009, 07:12 PM
He has been injured this summer.I am worried he might take a step back because of it. I believe he still has not recovered 100% I am a knicks fan. I dont thonk he will be an all star. I think Gallo will def be an allstar.

Hustla23
08-28-2009, 07:23 PM
I really like Wilson's game.

He's one of the hardest workers on the team and he's a standout guy.

I don't think there's really any player out there who matches his skill set.

He doesn't have Granger's offensive ability but I think he'd rank in the upper tier of SF defenders.

He's a Marion-esque player in that he can play on the wing as well as other positions but he differs in that he can bang down low.

I think he has sky high potential based on his raw tools and elite athleticism. It's all about refining them.

4real
08-28-2009, 09:36 PM
his ceiling is about half of what anthony randolph will turn out to be...

lol um ok !

4real
08-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Wilson Chandler = Ryan Gomes

He's already better than him

Sports Illustrator
08-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Its hard to tell because he didn't really play much until the end of his freshmen year. He played very well though this past season and I noticed more and more improvement as the season went along. So I am expecting him to improve more as he matures his game at the NBA level (which he is doing a fantastic job at).

I can see him as an All-Star, but most likely not this season. I see him more as a sidekick player to a superstar player. He'd play a great role at that just like some of our guys in the NBA do (Manu Ginobli, Mo Williams, Rashard Lewis, Caron Butler). He will likely be like their caliber.

Chronz
08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Manu is one of the greatest players of his generation, you cant clump him on that list. Rashard has been one of the deadliest shooters of his, same thing here. Basically most of the guys you mentioned have established feats that Chandler will never pull off. Its literally impossible for him to ever reach those highs. He will never sport an offensive rating in high 120's with impressive possessions counts the way these guys have, it simply doesnt happen.

Hustla23
08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Manu is one of the greatest players of his generation, you cant clump him on that list. Rashard has been one of the deadliest shooters of his, same thing here. Basically most of the guys you mentioned have established feats that Chandler will never pull off. Its literally impossible for him to ever reach those highs. He will never sport an offensive rating in high 120's with impressive possessions counts the way these guys have, it simply doesnt happen.
It's nice to know we have posters on here with their own crystal balls.

I'm sure you didn't predict that Jermaine O'Neal would stay a bench warmer for the rest of his career after his first couple of years in the league or that Danny Granger would be a fringe player after his first full season.

The kid has only played a season and a half so far yet we have know it alls like you completely dismissing their potential.

Kakaroach
08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Not Danny Granger lol. Maybe a Josh Howard/Andre Iggy type.

HiphopRelated
08-29-2009, 06:41 PM
lol @ me seeing Beasley's name thrown in(for potential)

Beas was better last year

Josh Howard is probably a solid best case

dgreat5000
08-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I like Wilson Chandler!! I think he can be a all star, but not with thbe knicks...maybe 18ppg and 5rebs. max

ko8e24
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
What is Wilson Chandler's ceiling???

.....The fan

lol

madiaz3
08-29-2009, 08:16 PM

Wait...you thought beasely was better than chandler last year? LOL chandler actually plays defense, and instead of being a tweener with no home he can efficiently play multiple positions

ko8e24
08-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Wait...you thought beasely was better than chandler last year? LOL chandler actually plays defense, and instead of being a tweener with no home he can efficiently play multiple positions

a player of mike d'antoni actually plays defense :confused:

D-Leethal
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM

raja bell was all nba defensive first team and second team under Mike D and Shawn Marion was one of the most versatile defenders in the league under him. You know, that team that used to knock you out of the playoffs every year before Kobe had a public hissyfit bashed his team and management and you stole Pau from the Grizzlies

madiaz3
08-30-2009, 09:19 AM

He's not a product of Mike Dantoni

HiphopRelated
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
lol, don't let Espn talking heads form your opinions

Beasley would get no time if he didn't play atleast average defense.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=beaslmi01&y1=2009&p2=chandwi01&y2=2009

Only thing Chandler got was 10 more minutes in an inflated offense and scraped .5 ppg more

But you already knew that as a Knicks fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1PsCY-DOo)

madiaz3
08-30-2009, 11:03 AM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=beaslmi01&y1=2009&p2=chandwi01&y2=2009

Only thing Chandler got was 10 more minutes in an inflated offense and scraped .5 ppg more

But you already knew that as a Knicks fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM1PsCY-DOo)
Let me guess, are you one of those guys who if given the choice would do Beasely and Chalmers over just Rose? And no, I don't remember his game that game because I remember the only actually talented player the Heat has being the reason they won, and how they were losing the whole game (likely because Beasely let his man score 30 or more) until Wade's face got busted open.

"Beasley would get no time if he didn't play atleast average defense. "

What NBA are you watching again? That's one of the least sensical statement s I've heard thus far. Goes along with you thinking the Knicks actually ran seven seconds or less like the Suns when in fact we ran a pretty average (comparatively) offense with the only spin beinga quick rotation of defenders each time, the problem being we didn't have the defenders to make all of the switches.

I get you want to list a game with flashy numbers but its really easy to play that game.
27 pts on 91.7 FG%, 7 rebs, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200811120MEM.html

BUFFALO KNICK
08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Chandler's ceiling is...Chandler. There is no telling how good he'll be. It all depends on his support system and how good Danilo gets. They could both be all stars or bums. But guessing its Granger just because is a stretch............would be great though

Giaps
08-30-2009, 11:17 AM

True, Beasley did have a monster game vs the Knicks (his best of the season, congrats) but while Chandler and Beasley's stats are comparable, Beasley's defense is not comparable to Chandler's. Beasley is more polished offensively, but I definitely think Chandler is more well rounded. And I'm tired of this inflated offense crap... any team is free to shoot more too. Why should a team be penalized for scoring more points? Doesn't make sense to me. Oh, and Chandler was a 4th option at best while Beasley was arguably a #2.

Oh and before I forget:
Wilson over a certain center (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3Ycpnuk30)
Wilson over the entire state of Florida (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KaQDuDkhJQ)

HiphopRelated
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Chandler isn't some defensive gem

Being the best defender on the Knicks is the one eyed man in the land of the blind.

Teams are "penalized" for scoring more(faster pace), because it's not a true representation of the league average. Inferior players put up "better" stats, but it doesn't lead to more wins(especially when they count)

HiphopRelated
08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Let me guess, are you one of those guys who if given the choice would do Beasely and Chalmers over just Rose?

is Rose a better defender than Beasley?

MrFastBreak
08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
White, with oak trim.

:up:

Jamiecballer
08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
i say don't be fooled by the D'Antoni effect. solid bench player.

Hustla23
08-30-2009, 01:25 PM

I believe Beasley was often benched because he had no idea how to play defense.

HiphopRelated
08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I believe Beasley was often benched because he had no idea how to play defense.
just "staying on your man" and learning the Heat's rotations are 2 different things. His man defense is already pretty solid

which is why these "no idea how to play defense" stuff comes from people who haven't seen him play in awhile atleast.

did a better job on Josh Smith in the playoffs than Haslem for example

madiaz3
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
just "staying on your man" and learning the Heat's rotations are 2 different things. His man defense is already pretty solid

which is why these "no idea how to play defense" stuff comes from people who haven't seen him play in awhile atleast.

did a better job on Josh Smith in the playoffs than Haslem for example

not hard when miami psd users make threads voting on whether or not he is the worst nba starter in the nba

HiphopRelated
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
answer post 69 please

SeoulBeatz
08-30-2009, 05:10 PM

If i judged which player was better SOLELY on their performance last year (not including the ridiculous hype beas got) I would much rather have Chandler on my team.

Chandler actually plays to win and is willing to do what ever it takes to fit in to the system. He plays harder D and I'd say his offense is actually MORE effective than Beas at this point in time.

Beasley is ALL OVER THE PLACE. the many miami games i watched this year (when beasley could see the floor in meaningful minutes) he often looked lost on the court and he forces shots like none other. He doesnt take advantage of his natural abilities. He shows flashes of brilliance but they are often overshadowed by his immature/unpolished play. And he isn't as BIG as i thought he was. He is not a beast in the NBA at a physical level. He needs to put on some weight.

I'd say Beasley has a better overall potential, but as of right now, gimme chandler and his hustle and USEFUL play anyday.

Hustla23
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
If i judged which player was better SOLELY on their performance last year (not including the ridiculous hype beas got) I would much rather have Chandler on my team.

Chandler actually plays to win and is willing to do what ever it takes to fit in to the system. He plays harder D and I'd say his offense is actually MORE effective than Beas at this point in time.

Beasley is ALL OVER THE PLACE. the many miami games i watched this year (when beasley could see the floor in meaningful minutes) he often looked lost on the court and he forces shots like none other. He doesnt take advantage of his natural abilities. He shows flashes of brilliance but they are often overshadowed by his immature/unpolished play. And he isn't as BIG as i thought he was. He is not a beast in the NBA at a physical level. He needs to put on some weight.

I'd say Beasley has a better overall potential, but as of right now, gimme chandler and his hustle and USEFUL play anyday.
I think most people would say they'd rather take Beasley because he was a #2 overall pick and he could have easily went #1 overall in the draft.

For that fact he obviously has tremendous upside that anyone would like to take a chance on.

Unfortunately, Beasley has shown that he isn't big enough to dominate in the low post using sheer strength or power like most dominant power forwards, but rather has to rely on finesse, which is just fine, as offense is one of his best assets. However, every player on the floor has to be responsible for his man and Beasley has shown that he doesn't yet know how to play defense within a team concept although like the other poster mentioned, his man to man defense isn't bad.

Chandler has definitely produced more this year than Beasley and that's a plus for him, but I think by far Beasley has the higher upside. It only depends on whether or not he can fulfill that potential.

I think it will be interesting to see how each player progresses from this point on.

It's kind of funny since Beasley needs to improve his defense and Chandler needs to improve his offense.

BHF
08-30-2009, 06:13 PM
knockdown ceiling

Giaps
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm not a homer and I know Beasley has the higher upside. Being #2 in a strong draft makes that obvious... but Chandler picked at #21 is already playing as a top 5 player in his own draft (Durant, Horford, Green, Stuckey, Noah the other players who have stood out so far). I also remember reading around the draft that Chandler had the most potential of anyone OUTSIDE the lottery and that he would have been a high lottery pick the following year.

Anyway, draft status doesn't mean **** after you're drafted. I think Chandler has already proven to be a steal at his draft slot and that he has a lot of potential.