PDA

View Full Version : A Different View

HOTDAMthe24
08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I've never really thought about writing something like this before, but I figure I would share a different view of the Jays.

The other day I was thinking back to when I was a Yankees fan (yes, I have my flaws). I thought about the day I decided I wanted a new favorite team. What prompted this change was that I no longer liked the players on the team. I've always been the type that doesn't really care for Superstars, I like the lesser known, lesser hyped players and watching them succeed. My favorite was Ted Lilly, see the Blue Jays connection!

So, when Lilly came to Toronto, so did I. But by the time he left, I wasn’t going anywhere. The reason is that I enjoy following and cheering for the players here. They are players that you want to see succeed. I’ve had so much fun watching Aaron Hill come back and crank out 30 Homers this year, or watching Adam Lind go from struggling early last year to becoming a potential All-Star outfielder this year. Watching Ricky Romero go from Prospect Bust to Rookie of the Year contender.

I look forward to seeing whether or not Travis Snider becomes an elite player next year. Odds are it will take more time, but stranger things have happened. I want to see if Arencibia can shake off a rough year at the plate and become our starting catcher. I want to see a guy who hasn’t had much of a chance with some other team, come in here and be a solid contributor, like Marco Scutaro has done. I look forward to following our prospects through the system, even if they don’t perform to expectations, I want to see Bryan Bullington get more then 6 innings of work in the majors. If he gets that shot, I’ll be hoping that he pitches lights out.

A lot of people are saying the Jays are doomed, and there is no hope. Others say we're just missing a piece or two. A lot of people on here argue very well for both sides of this discussion. For me, that's not what it's about Although it would be ecstatic over a postseason run). I’m not really sure this little(or at least it was supposed to be) note serves much of a purpose, but I thought it would be a nice change of pace to the daily topics of “We're doomed we should completely rebuild” or “We should sign this guy and all of our troubles will be fixed". Which are fine, and I really enjoy seeing other people's opinions, but here is "A Different View".

jaysfan55
08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I agree 100%. I am sick and tired of hearing all the negative bs. Plus to see "so called" loyal fans talking trash about there own team and giving up so easy. This year without a doubt has been a horrid year. But we have done the impossible and managed to flirt with .500 while using 6-7 Rookies and a low payroll for the AL east. I look at it this way...if we can finish close to .500 using so many different players (Rookies) then imagine what 2010 will look like? I bet we will have 3-4 14+ game winners... Halladay will win 15-20 games..Romero 14-16 Marcum 12-14 Zep 12-14 and Litsch 11-14... if the starters can last 6-7 innings per game then the pen wont be so stressed. AS for the missing pieces we only need a few..an outfielder who can hit and play defense..a proven third baseman who can hit the ball consistantly..and maybe a First Baseman if they move overbay.. otherwise we are set for 2010...

2009mvp
08-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I like it. It's not something anyone discusses often but there's a reason you blow three hours (or closer to four last night :)) watching a game in August when you're nine under .500, regardless of who's out there on the field.

marcre
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I agree 100%. I am sick and tired of hearing all the negative bs. Plus to see "so called" loyal fans talking trash about there own team and giving up so easy. This year without a doubt has been a horrid year. But we have done the impossible and managed to flirt with .500 while using 6-7 Rookies and a low payroll for the AL east. I look at it this way...if we can finish close to .500 using so many different players (Rookies) then imagine what 2010 will look like? I bet we will have 3-4 14+ game winners... Halladay will win 15-20 games..Romero 14-16 Marcum 12-14 Zep 12-14 and Litsch 11-14... if the starters can last 6-7 innings per game then the pen wont be so stressed. AS for the missing pieces we only need a few..an outfielder who can hit and play defense..a proven third baseman who can hit the ball consistantly..and maybe a First Baseman if they move overbay.. otherwise we are set for 2010...

My posts may seem negative, but I don't believe this team will spend the necessary money in the off-season. Those are a lot of "ifs" you say. And, with the way the starters got hurt this year, what makes you think theat wont happen next year? Plus, Marcum and Litsch may never be the same and IMO, Litsch was never all that anyway, but maybe he was on his way.

One of our biggest needs is DH, I'm not sold on Ruiz. All I'm saying is we have a lot of needs that I'm not sure ownership is willing to spend to fill. This is a tough division no doubt and our current team has proven it can't compete.

BlueJayFanDan
08-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Do you guys remember when we started this season at 27-14 and how the majority of us saw a glimmer of hope on us making a run this year. Then how a little over a month later we found ourselves right at the 500 mark after the injuries and the hitting inconsistencies. Then for a while we had to turn on the tvs and internet everyday and pray that we would not see if the "inevitable" had happened with Roy and the trade rumors. Suddenly as of now this team that started off the season so great is now 20 games back in the division. I will be the first to say that assuming we don't trade Roy and we are willing to spend some money, I do think we honestly can contend. We have a lot of good pieces on this team. I am tired of rebuilding and I am tired of the douche bag Yankees and Red Sox spending so much money to make themselves better each offseason. The Yankess spent double our payroll this past offseason to bring in 3 players. It is ridiculous. But management doesn't seem to understand we need to spend some cash if we wanna compete. Well I am hoping we make the necessary moves this offseason and hopefully a little over a year from now we will be discussing how great of year it was and also discussing a Roy Halladay contract extension I hope.

skinzys
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Do you guys remember when we started this season at 27-14 and how the majority of us saw a glimmer of hope on us making a run this year. Then how a little over a month later we found ourselves right at the 500 mark after the injuries and the hitting inconsistencies. Then for a while we had to turn on the tvs and internet everyday and pray that we would not see if the "inevitable" had happened with Roy and the trade rumors. Suddenly as of now this team that started off the season so great is now 20 games back in the division. I will be the first to say that assuming we don't trade Roy and we are willing to spend some money, I do think we honestly can contend. We have a lot of good pieces on this team. I am tired of rebuilding and I am tired of the douche bag Yankees and Red Sox spending so much money to make themselves better each offseason. The Yankess spent double our payroll this past offseason to bring in 3 players. It is ridiculous. But management doesn't seem to understand we need to spend some cash if we wanna compete. Well I am hoping we make the necessary moves this offseason and hopefully a little over a year from now we will be discussing how great of year it was and also discussing a Roy Halladay contract extension I hope.

I hate to be negative, but there's no way we're contending next year unless we get our payroll to 120+, which I dont see happening. You're tired of rebuilding? That's exactly our problem, we haven't been rebuilding, we have buying medicore players for years, hovering around our max payroll, instead of trying to truly rebuiild. There's no way we are 3-4 pitchers with 14 wins next year, I know the season isnt over yet, but not one team has 4 players with more than 8 wins and only a handful of teams have 3 players with more 9 wins as of today. so, we need to have legitimate plan to go all in or fold and rebuild correctly,eimther way we need a new gm.

StealingSigns
08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
You may perceive the comments here as being negative, but at least there is passionate discussion going on, showing there are many people who actually care about the Jays. The bandwagoners from June are gone, so yes there are going to be some pointed comments about the direction this team is heading.

You want to see a really hot discussion, check out the vent thread in the Chicago White Sox forum. Some of their fans have turned on Kenny Williams (after delivering WS not too long ago) and vilified Rios, mere weeks after they were in the thick of the playoff hunt.

I would rather see these types of discussions going on rather than reading comments that the Jays can do no wrong from the "Hooray For Everything!!!" crowd.

marcre
08-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Truth is, I don't see the posts as being negative. This team is pathetic. They are playing like one of the worst teams in baseball and our front office seams clueless. Also, I am not as high on some of our prospects like others around here are. I don't look at it as being negative, I see it as being realistic. We have a lot of holes and I haven't heard of any plan to fix the problems. This team wanted to trade Halladay, but couldn't get it done. The Rios deal was a disaster. Other executives in baseball must look at our team and laugh. Clearly, the other teams in our division have no respect for us, as they shouldn't. We are no threat. This season was a giant step backwards.

HOTDAMthe24
08-28-2009, 06:38 AM
I never said anything about the posts being negative. I just stated what the posts say, "we are doomed and we need to rebuild". I never said "Hooray for Everything". I just wanted to point out some of the things that I have enjoyed watching, and some of the things I hope that I will be able to see in the future. I consider myself a passionate Jays fan, I hate seeing them lose especially when they blow a lead late. There are lots of moves that I would like to see them make. What I was trying to do is get people to step away from the "what direction is the team going" discussion and get something else going. Immediately it has been turned back into post after post of these guys can compete, or this team sucks and can't compete. What I wanted to see was people talking about what the love about the team right now, which players they are excited to see develop or things of that nature.

nstojic
08-28-2009, 08:15 AM
hey, welcome

jaysfan55
08-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Well as "pathetic" as this season may have been or is currently, they really cant say that this team has not tried. I mean come on..we have been forced to use so many rookies one in which made the jump practically from AA... No one expected Romero to do as well as he as..cecil is doing great considering the pressure...richmond is doing ok.. zep has been awesome during his time here..Ray pitched well in his 2-3 starts...the only one we have not used is Mills. Wells is under performing but still can hit 20 hrs and drive in 70-75 RBI...below numbers yes but average. 2010 will be a move point for alot of our players ..Vernon gets a huge raise and will most likely turn things around..We have some money to spend and can real in at least two players to help with the offensive woes... This team is really only preparing for 2010...getting the innings behind these rookies is only going to make them better. Does out front office need an overhaul...yes. JP is out I think..Beeston will stay. The assistant GM Anthropolus (mis-spelled) seems more motivated to make moves than JP so a promotion may be in his future. We need to add 20-25 Million to the payroll in order to be shoppers this off-season..there are a bunch of good affordable free agents that we can try to bring to town. (Nady,Dye,Molina,Ankiel,Crede,Figgins,Dunn (depends on JP leaving).... none of which will get over $10 Million a year...they all can hit the ball well and produce. Dunn strikes out alot but still gets over 125 hits and hits 35-40Hr's every year (DH!!!!) but for 6-8 Million a year we would love to have him.

dman_39
08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
There is always hope. I guess it depends on if we keep Roy. If Ricky Romero is good again next year, if Marcum comes back, if the other kids step up, if they can get a 3rd baseman, a shortstop and maybe a first baseman.

The only thing that scares me is some of these ifs will work out and others may not.

Zaunnie
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
the ship is sinking.

Jamiecballer
08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
the ship is sinking.

yeah man, i'm starting to think Shea had it right...

2009mvp
08-28-2009, 04:31 PM
I never said anything about the posts being negative. I just stated what the posts say, "we are doomed and we need to rebuild". I never said "Hooray for Everything". I just wanted to point out some of the things that I have enjoyed watching, and some of the things I hope that I will be able to see in the future. I consider myself a passionate Jays fan, I hate seeing them lose especially when they blow a lead late. There are lots of moves that I would like to see them make. What I was trying to do is get people to step away from the "what direction is the team going" discussion and get something else going. Immediately it has been turned back into post after post of these guys can compete, or this team sucks and can't compete. What I wanted to see was people talking about what the love about the team right now, which players they are excited to see develop or things of that nature.

:laugh2: Well, you tried.

donatolla
08-30-2009, 02:02 PM
As the beginning of the year, the bandwagoners were calling for a WS win, now, we are the team the Red Sox are pulling Paul Byrd out of retirement for to save Lester for an important game. (I don't know about anyone else, but that stings) Naturally, queue the "other" bandwagoners...and haters. I ignore them as much as possible...

Like everything in baseball...the Jays weren't as good as they were in the great start, and they aren't as bad as they are playing now. Next year will be very interesting - I'm looking forward to seeing the younger players continue to progress towards a very competitive 2011 - 2012.

marcre
08-30-2009, 04:49 PM
As the beginning of the year, the bandwagoners were calling for a WS win, now, we are the team the Red Sox are pulling Paul Byrd out of retirement for to save Lester for an important game. (I don't know about anyone else, but that stings) Naturally, queue the "other" bandwagoners...and haters. I ignore them as much as possible...

Like everything in baseball...the Jays weren't as good as they were in the great start, and they aren't as bad as they are playing now. Next year will be very interesting - I'm looking forward to seeing the younger players continue to progress towards a very competitive 2011 - 2012.

I call it like I see it. This team is not good and I really don't think what we have in the minors is our savior. We need to look outside of the organization for help. It's been a long time since we were a threat or even good. Don't people get sick of losing? I do. I'm sick of "waiting until next year". News flash, next year will look similar to this year. This team has a lack of talent and has many needs.

I'm not a hater, just calling it like it is.

donatolla
08-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I call it like I see it. This team is not good and I really don't think what we have in the minors is our savior. We need to look outside of the organization for help. It's been a long time since we were a threat or even good. Don't people get sick of losing? I do. I'm sick of "waiting until next year". News flash, next year will look similar to this year. This team has a lack of talent and has many needs.

I'm not a hater, just calling it like it is.

I'm actually not suggesting you are. I think the real annoying haters gave up a while ago.

I still maintain that the fast start hurt this team. They were playing above their heads and it was just enough that too many people were thinking "what if" when they should have stayed the course and pushed for 2010.

Now, 2010 is going to be the new 2009 and I doubt we'll see any real progress until 2011.

marcre
08-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm actually not suggesting you are. I think the real annoying haters gave up a while ago.

I still maintain that the fast start hurt this team. They were playing above their heads and it was just enough that too many people were thinking "what if" when they should have stayed the course and pushed for 2010.

Now, 2010 is going to be the new 2009 and I doubt we'll see any real progress until 2011.

I wasn't saying you were calling me a hater, but my posts make it look that way. I'm frustrated with this team. I really don't see reason for optimism like others do. We have a lot of holes to fill and I don't see it getting done. Some of our position prospects I am leery of. Others are assuming they will be all-stars. I think next year will be similar to this year.