PDA

View Full Version : Gherardini racks up the assists for national team

ink
08-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Pretty cool that Gherardini is donating his expertise to Basketball Canada.

Gherardini racks up the assists for national team

MICHAEL GRANGE
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Last updated on Thursday, Aug. 27, 2009 03:09AM EDT
BASKETBALL REPORTER

By any realistic standard, it's been a successful summer for Canada Basketball. With the men's and women's national teams getting ready to compete for spots in next year's world championships, it could get even better.

But even before the men start the process at the FIBA Americas Championship - they take on Mexico today; the women's competition is next month in Brazil - the organization can already name its most valuable player.

Playing an essential role behind the scenes has been Toronto Raptors senior vice-president of basketball operations Maurizio Gherardini, who was appointed the senior men's national team managing director in December and has been a leader on previously rudderless ship since.

"It's been a tremendous," Canada Basketball executive director Wayne Parrish said. "Someone could have given us a million dollars and we wouldn't have been able to extract the kind of value he's provided."

Read the entire article here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/gherardini-racks-up-the-assists-for-national-team/article1266246/)

deaner
08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I didn't know until today he had signed another 2 year deal with the raps... I guess that detail got lost with all of the roster moves...

Bob_at_york
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
I didn't know he had a role with the team. That is cool, I guess he is embracing Canada overall. I wonder if he is going to get dual citizenship.

Halladay
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
I didn't know he had a role with the team. That is cool, I guess he is embracing Canada overall. I wonder if he is going to get dual citizenship.

It's probably more of a "giving back" kind of thing. Would he not have to get dual citizenship anyway at some point(depending how long he lives here)? I don't have a clue regarding immigration or exactly how it works.

Bob_at_york
08-27-2009, 03:55 PM
It's probably more of a "giving back" kind of thing. Would he not have to get dual citizenship anyway at some point(depending how long he lives here)? I don't have a clue regarding immigration or exactly how it works.

I don't think you have to give it back, as a kid I got dual citizenship and I think I still have the status (and the weird part is that I was born in Canada).

dtmagnet
08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Canada is destroying Mexico right now by the way.

deaner
08-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't think you have to give it back, as a kid I got dual citizenship and I think I still have the status (and the weird part is that I was born in Canada).

I thought he was referring to giving back to the canadian community...

ink
08-27-2009, 05:22 PM

I thought he was talking about giving back that giant HD monitor he took from the Raptors AV department.

deaner
08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
the old one doesn't even do HD ink... it's not even worth carrying away..

Bob_at_york
08-27-2009, 10:20 PM

I don't know how I read that wrong. You are right and I had a brain fart while at work, sorry about that.